• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
I never knew for sure if Slowdive spoke Japanese, so I was just making sure. Ah. Direct message instead of private message. I see. I don't think I've ever been DMed by artists I like, but Japanese musicians typically respond to my very infrequent tweets.

I never knew for sure if Slowdive spoke Japanese, so I was just making sure. Ah. Direct message instead of private message. I see. I don't think I've ever been DMed by artists I like, but Japanese musicians typically respond to my very infrequent tweets.

for whatever reason, I've had better luck reaching out to people in english than japanese. I don't know if it's the novelty of realizing they have an english-speaking fan or what. it works out I guess since I'm more likely to understand their broken english than they are my broken japanese.

Slowdive

Banned

My Japanese isn't great and I knew she spoke decent English so I just spoke English.

for whatever reason, I've had better luck reaching out to people in english than japanese. I don't know if it's the novelty of realizing they have an english-speaking fan or what. it works out I guess since I'm more likely to understand their broken english than they are my broken japanese.

Same here.

Electric Ribbon got three new members.

Speaking of, there's a 6 day livestream of auditions for new BiS/BiSH/Gang Parade members starting on the 28th.

I'd say that BiSH doesn't need it (any of the groups really) but Watanabe has a real knack for scouting so I'll assume he knows what he's doing.

There's still two members of Gang Parade whose names I don't even know.

I have a lot of bad things to say about the new charisma.com but in the name of staying positive, here are the things I did like

- the hook in #hashdark is really catchy
- the line "I want to get your heart" from the Cibo Matto song sounds 100% like "I want to get you hard" and that makes me laugh
- the beat during the chorus of "not not me" is really good.

but man...

also I finally got a real good listen of kitixxxgaia and it's incredible, except for POSITIVE STRESS which is complete trash. I like it a good deal more than Tokyo Black Hole even.

Ryuukan

I have a lot of bad things to say about the new charisma.com but in the name of staying positive, here are the things I did like

- the line "I want to get your heart" from the Cibo Matto song sounds 100% like "I want to get you hard" and that makes me laugh

but man...

don't hold back, it has some weak tracks

lunch time funk and chicken boom are pretty awful

yajiuma dance and not not me are some of their best songs to date tho

don't hold back, it has some weak tracks

nah, the being positive thing is more for my own mental welfare than anything.

speaking of being positive, Kindan no Tasuketsu performing Tonight, Tonight super drunk on DOMMUNE two weeks ago.

I finally remembered to snip it out and upload it; they spent like the hour before this ordering drink after drink on the couch. also Roller Girl came back for this performance <3

--

IT'S NOT "I WANT TO GET YOU HARD?"

Dammit.

https://ilyricsbuzz.com/2017/02/charisma-com-yajiuma-dance.html

no, sorry :p

hampig

Started listening to Mrs. Green Apple yesterday because of this thread (I think it was this thread?) and I'm completely in love. Kujiranouta and Aijou To Hokosaki specifically have been on repeat for the past 24 hours.

Kurita

Started listening to Mrs. Green Apple yesterday because of this thread (I think it was this thread?) and I'm completely in love. Kujiranouta and Aijou To Hokosaki specifically have been on repeat for the past 24 hours.

Nice, they're one of the best new rock bands of the past 2 years. Been in love with them ever since their indie album Progressive.
Legitimately think Motoki, the vocalist, is a music genius. Dude is just 20 but his songwriting skills are already damn impressive, his voice is fantastic and he's got a ton of charisma. I have high hopes in this kid (and the whole band obviously). I think it's just a matter of time before they blow up.

They've got a new single coming out in May so look forward to it!

hampig

Nice, they're one of the best new rock bands of the past 2 years. Been in love with them ever since their indie album Progressive.
Legitimately think Motoki, the vocalist, is a music genius. Dude is just 20 but his songwriting skills are already damn impressive, his voice is fantastic and he's got a ton of charisma. I have high hopes in this kid (and the whole band obviously). I think it's just a matter of time before they blow up.

They've got a new single coming out in May so look forward to it!

I seriously love the dudes voice. Especially on Kujiranouta, he has such a unique sound. I'll absolutely look out for their new single. I'll probably scour this thread for some new stuff to listen to in the meantime.

LayLa

official Sanrio Dempa charas, duck Moga cracks me up for some reason

PmTt6hX.jpg

Jintor

Could add another album... what do, what do... time to spelunk the thread for the last time i asked this

/edit kay so i tossed Perfume's JPN on there sound unheard because of you thread. i'm trusting you on this!

broz0rs

Is it just me or is Nishi's entire image based on an emotionally sensitive K-drama protagonist? Or has there been anything like that in J-dramas yet?

TGMIII

but man...

also I finally got a real good listen of kitixxxgaia and it's incredible, except for POSITIVE STRESS which is complete trash. I like it a good deal more than Tokyo Black Hole even.

Yeah I can't say I'm feeling it either from the few listens I've given it. I suppose I appreciate the fact that they're trying some new sounds but I can't help but feel like I could hear similar tracks elsewhere. Maybe that's not fair to say but it was lacking the punch Ai Ai Syndrome & DIStopping had. Even still I'd rather them try a new direction than how OLest turned out, which was by no means bad but disappointing.

My Japanese isn't great and I knew she spoke decent English so I just spoke English.

Same here.

Electric Ribbon got three new members.

Speaking of, there's a 6 day livestream of auditions for new BiS/BiSH/Gang Parade members starting on the 28th.

Jesus Christ now i want to do this. If I tweeted some art at her and we just exchanged a couple messages I'd straight up lose my shit.

Quasar

Rather happy about the newly started anime music service, ANiuTa, especially given worldwide plans. Too bad it seems both Sony and King are uninvolved. Though I wonder how focused it will be...as I'd like to see those artists non anime work too (like the Sakamoto Maaya non anime work).

In any case this could reduce my need to import cds like I'm some kind of Neanderthal.

Kurita

Today's youtube algorithm successful prediction: &#12511;&#12484;&#12513;&#12288;&#65293;&#12288;&#12354;&#12371;&#12364;&#12428;

Excited to find out if i like a lot of their stuff or not

They're pretty cool yeah
You could check out never young beach, &#12471;&#12515;&#12512;&#12461;&#12515;&#12483;&#12484;, Yogee New Waves or Ogre You Asshole if you like them

--
Recently discovered ENJOY MUSIC CLUB thanks to the wonderful drama Sumu Sumu (&#20303;&#20303;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXm-vME_mA
They're a pretty tight hip-hop band, reminiscent of the legendary Scha Dara Parr.

fucking in for all versions. Bless this band. Will not miss them when they come stateside.

ALL versions? Four vinyl options, plus CD, plus Japanese-only 3-disc version?

(also I kind of hate multiple vinyl colour options for precisely this reason)

Also, yes, SEE THEM LIVE THEY ARE AMAZING. Probably won't happen until next year if I read their live schedule right (looks like Japan shows until October at least).

ALL versions? Four vinyl options, plus CD, plus Japanese-only 3-disc version?

(also I kind of hate multiple vinyl colour options for precisely this reason)

Also, yes, SEE THEM LIVE THEY ARE AMAZING. Probably won't happen until next year if I read their live schedule right (looks like Japan shows until October at least).

I own every single version of everything tricot have released, except for like maybe an impossible demo CDr or two haha. It wouldn't be the first time I've done this for a band, but I only do it for my super favorite ones. Frankly, I wish all my records were just 180g black. Multi color vinyl releases are pretty annoying to me and thankfully every tricot vinyl release before this one was one variant but I will absolutely be in like I said lol. They are my favorite Japanese band, hands down. Non-metal anyways.

yeah I missed them in 2015, was utterly foolish of me. I got most of my friends into them so it should be a good time when it happens.

I own every single version of everything tricot have released, except for like maybe an impossible demo CDr or two haha. It wouldn't be the first time I've done this for a band, but I only do it for my super favorite ones. Frankly, I wish all my records were just 180g black. Multi color vinyl releases are pretty annoying to me and thankfully every tricot vinyl release before this one was one variant but I will absolutely be in like I said lol. They are my favorite Japanese band, hands down. Non-metal anyways.

yeah I missed them in 2015, was utterly foolish of me. I got most of my friends into them so it should be a good time when it happens.

I will never doubt your commitment to tricot again, that's for sure!

I bought a buddy of mine to the Toronto tricot show on a whim, assuming he wouldn't be that into it because no one I know is ever super into what I listen to (with one or two exceptions) and he came out of that show saying that show would go down as legendary. I can only imagine the mayhem if you bring all your friends to a show! Hope you get the chance.

I will never doubt your commitment to tricot again, that's for sure!

I bought a buddy of mine to the Toronto tricot show on a whim, assuming he wouldn't be that into it because no one I know is ever super into what I listen to (with one or two exceptions) and he came out of that show saying that show would go down as legendary. I can only imagine the mayhem if you bring all your friends to a show! Hope you get the chance.

ha, what can I say, I am smitten by them.

that's awesome by the way. I can only imagine it was impossible not to be absorbed into the party that is their show. Also sounds like you're local to the Next Music from Tokyo shows. I really wish I had the consistency of an event like that. I basically never get to see Japanese shows at all unless I get very random, infrequent tips. Speaking of, I saw Shing02 in San Francisco Saturday before this past one and it was dope. Encored with Battlecry. I lost my shit.

Yanakoto Sotto Mute is so good.

https://twitter.com/JxSxK

Watanabe's posting pictures of girls in the WACK auditions. he's doing the goofy name thing again.

http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv293167805

stream is live too

e: my early favorite: https://twitter.com/JxSxK/status/846532380747706368

like her look, interesting voice, likes Oomori.

e2: (real) Aina just showed up to do vocal auditions haha

e3: Pour Lui singing BiSH Hoshi... is something I didn't know I needed in my life

I caught a bit of the singing auditions last night. Most of the candidates were pretty mediocre but there were a couple that were quite good. Also at least one whose singing seemed completely unsalvageable and I felt bad for her. But here's a nice clip of Aina singing Plastic 2 Mercy.
The ranking after the first day:
1&#20301; &#12471;&#12455;&#12539;&#12461;&#12540;&#12521;
2&#20301; &#12462;&#12515;&#12531;&#12539;&#12510;&#12452;&#12460;
3&#20301; &#12458;&#12458;&#12471;&#12519;&#12540;&#12472;&#12513;&#12464;&#12511;
4&#20301; &#12511;&#12481;&#12495;&#12516;&#12471;&#12522;&#12458;
5&#20301; &#12475;&#12531;&#12488;&#12481;&#12498;&#12525;&#12539;&#12479;&#12483;&#12479;
6&#20301; &#12514;&#12514;&#12467;&#12464;&#12511;inc
7&#20301; &#12469;&#12540;&#12489;&#12469;&#12510;&#12540;&#12454;&#12452;&#12459;
8&#20301; &#12498;&#12521;&#12494;&#12494;&#12478;&#12512;
9&#20301; &#12497;&#12522;&#12539;&#12454;&#12502;
10&#20301; &#12484;&#12531;&#12484;&#12531;&#12467;
11&#20301; &#12516;&#12510;&#12495;&#12471;&#12511;&#12461;
12&#20301; &#12486;&#12521;&#12516;&#12510;&#12518;&#12501;
13&#20301; &#12522;&#12477;&#12522;&#12477;
14&#20301; &#12460;&#12511;&#12516;&#12469;&#12461;
15&#20301; &#12490;&#12460;&#12516;&#12510;&#12518;&#12461;&#12467;
16&#20301; &#12520;&#12467;&#12516;&#12510;&#12498;&#12490;
17&#20301; &#12450;&#12518;&#12490;&#12539;C
18&#20301; &#12527;&#12461;&#12459;&#12469;&#12518;&#12522;&#12459;

At the end of the second day and each day after, the three lowest scorers will be eliminated. Also there are six current members competing: Aina and Atsuko from BiSH, Lui and Aya from BiS, Yua and Yuka from Gang Parade. Their jobs are safe but apparently the winning group will be able to steal songs from the catalog of the losing group.

ha, what can I say, I am smitten by them.

that's awesome by the way. I can only imagine it was impossible not to be absorbed into the party that is their show. Also sounds like you're local to the Next Music from Tokyo shows. I really wish I had the consistency of an event like that. I basically never get to see Japanese shows at all unless I get very random, infrequent tips. Speaking of, I saw Shing02 in San Francisco Saturday before this past one and it was dope. Encored with Battlecry. I lost my shit.

You're in the Bay Area too? I figure we have it pretty good when it comes to Japanese music shows. I went to Japan Nite last Sunday which happens every year (bands that came to the US for SXSW. CHAI was really good). There's also J-POP Summit every year. Maybe I should try to post tips here more often.

I caught a bit of the singing auditions last night. Most of the candidates were pretty mediocre but there were a couple that were quite good. Also at least one whose singing seemed completely unsalvageable and I felt bad for her.

At the end of the second day and each day after, the three lowest scorers will be eliminated. Also there are six current members competing: Aina and Atsuko from BiSH, Lui and Aya from BiS, Yua and Yuka from Gang Parade. Their jobs are safe but apparently the winning group will be able to steal songs from the catalog of the losing group.

here's a more helpful chart of the first day rankings.

if you're thinking of the same bad singer I am, it was #8. She was abysmal

Anyway, I'm on team Aina/Atsuko. And I'm starting to take a shine to #6 (momoko gumi inc), she's got character.

Having the vets on this time around was a smart move, it really livens things up.

You're in the Bay Area too? I figure we have it pretty good when it comes to Japanese music shows. I went to Japan Nite last Sunday which happens every year (bands that came to the US for SXSW. CHAI was really good). There's also J-POP Summit every year. Maybe I should try to post tips here more often.

that I am, San Jose to be more specific. Japan Nite sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot. I'm also semi-conscious of the J-POP Summit year to year, have been invited a few times but never could make it out. Yeah that'd be cool if you could do that. Although I'm generally more partial to guitar-oriented music I'm trying to expand a bit and any tip is a welcome one.

Larsa

I'm way into the reality tv bullshit of the WACK auditions this time. The leading Gang Parade team got to take a song from BiS, who's in last, and took "gives". There's potential for them to take it back later though. It's good stuff.

Top Bottom