• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Theonik

idcLWIJczyywf.png

Shitty cellphone pic but I got this. Really loving it so far. Wish it was a bit easier to mod though, there is no frontal access and the previous owner I got it from managed to strip the second set of screws inside, meaning I have to find a way to replace them which is a bit of work >.>

Yes Boss!

Looks like the Seimitsu model is 360 only. So how does the Kai feel. Kind of thinking of getting one.

Not sure. Mine just shipped and all my stuff goes to california so I won't be able to check it out till christmas. MarkMan says there are a lot of differences but ultimately it is an LS-32-01 and PS-14-G buttons. If you like those than you know what you are getting into.

PBalfredo

I got my Brawlstick on the mail. Since I'm not crazy about the graphic of some wrasslemen on my stick, I want to go about replacing the graphic. Seeing how this is my first fightstick, and thus my first stick mod, I seek stickGAF's wisdom on how to go about this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I got my Brawlstick on the mail. Since I'm not crazy about the graphic of some wrasslemen on my stick, I want to go about replacing the graphic. Seeing how this is my first fightstick, and thus my first stick mod, I seek stickGAF's wisdom on how to go about this.
I second this sentiment. Mine will come in like a week, but I would like some tips on how to not fuck the stick up when modding.

biocat

Not sure. Mine just shipped and all my stuff goes to california so I won't be able to check it out till christmas. MarkMan says there are a lot of differences but ultimately it is an LS-32-01 and PS-14-G buttons. If you like those than you know what you are getting into.

The buttons I know, but I'm curious about the build and wider spacing.

Supposedly the graphic just peels off. As for replacing it, get a PDF of a joystick template (I think it's the same as the SFIV SE layout) and print it off at Kinko's. They have an option for a laminated, sticky print.

Supposedly the graphic just peels off. As for replacing it, get a PDF of a joystick template (I think it's the same as the SFIV SE layout) and print it off at Kinko's. They have an option for a laminated, sticky print.

This is what I will have to do as well. Are there any threads around here for arcade stick art people share?

Hey guys can you help me out? I want to get an extremely high quality fightstick (price is not an issue) that is large enough for my manhands and has an octagonal gate (or one that switches from square to octo if such a thing exists). Any suggestions on what and/or where I could get one? Thanks!

Dachande

Hey guys can you help me out? I want to get an extremely high quality fightstick (price is not an issue) that is large enough for my manhands and has an octagonal gate (or one that switches from square to octo if such a thing exists). Any suggestions on what and/or where I could get one? Thanks!

I don't think any retail sticks come with octo gates as standard. Pretty sure you'll need to mod one in if you really want it.

Dachande

I know they exist, but again, not something that'll be standard. I'm not the most knowledgeable person to ask though really, I just saw your post at the right time. ;)

If money is really no object for you, why not consider a custom stick?

BOTEC

Heads up.

Amazon.jp started shipping the new VX-SE Kai yesterday. These are notorious for going OOP quickly. Grab it while you can. And does not look likely to release in NA. Hopefully Hori keeps it in print for a good while:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0087104SW/

I was considering picking one of these up, and was glad they were announced for Western release. Then I realized that the US version is an SA not an SE. What the fuck is this shit? $200+ is way more than I'm willing to spend on a secondary stick.

mr2xxx

Banned
I want to get a stick and I found a Tekken 6 PS3 stick for $40, is that a good stick for the price? Will mostly use this for MAME and some fighters,.

AAK

I want to get a stick and I found a Tekken 6 PS3 stick for $40, is that a good stick for the price? Will mostly use this for MAME and some fighters,.

The wireless one or the HRAP3?

If it's the former, it's ok to just get into grips with it but will not last you. If it's the latter, that's a freaking steal of a deal.

mr2xxx

Banned
The wireless one or the HRAP3?

If it's the former, it's ok to just get into grips with it but will not last you. If it's the latter, that's a freaking steal of a deal.

wireless one, how long do they last and is it repairable?

razu

Ordered a Q4RAF, turned up the next day.

Ordered a replacement plexi, turned up the next day.

Ordered buttons and ball top today, posted today!

If you're in England or nearby I can't recommend Gremlin Solutions enough. Top job! I'm not linked to them at all, but the level or service deserves a promo!

Next up, getting some tamiya paint, lunch box yellow, to paint the plexi :)

Pics when done!

Hex

Banned
Ordered a Q4RAF, turned up the next day.

Ordered a replacement plexi, turned up the next day.

Ordered buttons and ball top today, posted today!

If you're in England or nearby I can't recommend Gremlin Solutions enough. Top job! I'm not linked to them at all, but the level or service deserves a promo!

Next up, getting some tamiya paint, lunch box yellow, to paint the plexi :)

Pics when done!

Looking forward to seeing it

mr2xxx

Banned
Forgot I had a $100 GC from amazon so I decided to get something a better and got the HORI PS3 Soulcalibur V Stick. Anything I need to know about this?

ban25

I'm curious how many people have had a chance to try the new Hori Fighting Edge, and what they think of it. It seems really slick from the videos I've seen, but that says nothing about how it feels.

I've been playing quite a bit of VF5FS on it and I'm very pleased overall. The stick is quite good, though I still favor Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons to the ones in the FE.

GeorgeC

Banned
wireless one, how long do they last and is it repairable?

You get what you pay for!

Most reports are that the wireless is a piece of junk and difficult to modify or repair.

You'd seriously be better off getting a higher-end joystick (around $70-$80 used; $100 new) or waiting for a sale on the Mad Catz SE/Brawl joysticks if you're that hard up for money.

Some people like the Hori V3/VX FightSticks but they're also notorious for being difficult to mod and the original parts WILL break in less time than arcade-quality parts. IF you use a low-end joystick constantly, you can expect less than a year of use out of a cheap joystick unless it's a) easy to mod; trust the veterans when they tell you NONE of the cheap joysticks are that easy to mod; or b) upgradeable like the Mad Catz SE/Brawl joysticks.

Spend money wisely and spend it on good product... Don't spend because something's cheap. That will bite you in the @$$ when you least expect it!

Forgot I had a $100 GC from amazon so I decided to get something a better and got the HORI PS3 Soulcalibur V Stick. Anything I need to know about this?

It's an excellent joystick. Very nice form factor and decent separation between the control lever and buttons.

There IS a minor issue with replacing or swapping out the JLF control lever -- space is tight in the casing because of the "internal ribbing" -- but this is something most people don't care about since they won't swap out the JLF. IF you have to remove the JLF or want to swap it out, just beware that you have to carefully "snake" it out. I found it difficult to install a Seimitsu control lever without removing the baseplate -- I just couldn't fit the base/PCB of the Seimitsu through the narrow space set aside for the joystick! It's not an open space like the HRAP 1-3's were... People have already taken Dremels to the interior plastic to make room for part swapouts and more involved mods.

It has the ability to reconfigure the button setup but I haven't used the feature. Turbo control is set-up like the HRAP 3. IF you prefer individual turbo button switches, then stick to the HRAP V3/VX or look for an HRAP 1 or 2 (more expensive option).

I gotta say that in general I like this case a lot better than the HRAP V3/VX style. This is definitely easier to do art mods for and has a more ergonomic feel to it I think...

mr2xxx

Banned
It's an excellent joystick. Very nice form factor and decent separation between the control lever and buttons.

There IS a minor issue with replacing or swapping out the JLF control lever -- space is tight in the casing because of the "internal ribbing" -- but this is something most people don't care about since they won't swap out the JLF. IF you have to remove the JLF or want to swap it out, just beware that you have to carefully "snake" it out. I found it difficult to install a Seimitsu control lever without removing the baseplate -- I just couldn't fit the base/PCB of the Seimitsu through the narrow space set aside for the joystick! It's not an open space like the HRAP 1-3's were... People have already taken Dremels to the interior plastic to make room for part swapouts and more involved mods.

It has the ability to reconfigure the button setup but I haven't used the feature. Turbo control is set-up like the HRAP 3. IF you prefer individual turbo button switches, then stick to the HRAP V3/VX or look for an HRAP 1 or 2 (more expensive option).

I gotta say that in general I like this case a lot better than the HRAP V3/VX style. This is definitely easier to do art mods for and has a more ergonomic feel to it I think...

Thanks for the info, but you are speaking Chinese to me. What does the lever do and why would I want to change it? I'm assuming it has to do with the stick part itself but I don't see a reason I would want to change it.

Edgeward

Some people like the feel of a different stick. Some sticks have shorter throws or ranges of motion that people like. In your case dont worry about it. The stock stick is wonderful and feels great.

Yes Boss!

The SC V Hori is, indeed, an excellent stick. Great broad form, slick boxy and functional styling. You made a great choice mr2xxx. You will be happy.

mr2xxx

Banned
Thanks for info Gafers.After reading more a bit more into this, custom covers, dual boot, custom sticks & buttons, oh my I will be like the rest of you huh. I don't need any of it but I want it.

Doombear

So I just grabbed a SFIV TE Stick from Amazon Warehouse deals. Kind of pretty goddamned excited about that. Persona 4 Arena needs to just get here already. First stick for me and I debated getting a Brawl Stick and just swapping out with Sanwa parts but went this route instead.

So I am wondering if anyone could point me to a good site for templates/info as far as swapping out artwork goes? Looks easy enough, but a good high res template would be great. I can spend the next few days torturing myself with new art layouts...

EasyMode

Doombear

Thank you EasyMode! I was just scouring that site's FAQs. I can't wait to get something created for this. One last question for this horribly enabling topic if you all don't mind. Would someone mind recommending a good reputable dealer for Seimitsu and Sanwa parts in the states? I am looking at Focus Attack right now, need I look any farther? I am just eyeballing some clear buttons and possibly a ball top.

Wow, I could end up being horribly crap with a stick, but I really can't wait to crack this thing open. Worries me somewhat that it is used, but such is the way things go sometimes. Would love a new one, but the price just wasn't going to work this time around.

Shaffield

Oh geez. I just impulse bought my first PS3 arcade stick, a Hori RAP V3 SA from Amazon for 120$, because I've been wanting to get one for P4A, and to stop using a controller in SFIV and BlazBlue. The price was right for me and the reviews seemed good, so I caved in. This thread seems to recommend Sanwa parts, and this one has a Sanwa stick and buttons, so it seemed safe to me.

Please tell me if I made a mistake and should cancel my order, I am completely new to this :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This was originally posted in the P4:MA thread. Will get a pic of "The Tank" RAP EX SE later. Its stuck in the closet behind a ton of other crap.

Question, whats the diff between this and the Kai? I was looking at the Kai originally, but the ratings were slightly lower than this particular model.

I so want to pick this up but that price...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007WPP2PO/

Yes Boss!

Kinda curious myself on the differences. MarkMan has them but he is busy and don't think has gotten a chance to use them.

Nobody on SRK has posted anything either. Might just have to wait till they get released here and listed on the Hori site.

In other news, I downloaded VFFS. Having fun with it and trying to get back into fighters. Using a V3-SA, the only sanwa stick I've got available here. SFxT is incredibly fun, too.

BOTEC

I like older Street Fighter games with a stick (SFII, SFA). Less spastic motions required, and slower paced gameplay compared to modern stuff.

EasyMode

Thank you EasyMode! I was just scouring that site's FAQs. I can't wait to get something created for this. One last question for this horribly enabling topic if you all don't mind. Would someone mind recommending a good reputable dealer for Seimitsu and Sanwa parts in the states? I am looking at Focus Attack right now, need I look any farther? I am just eyeballing some clear buttons and possibly a ball top.

Wow, I could end up being horribly crap with a stick, but I really can't wait to crack this thing open. Worries me somewhat that it is used, but such is the way things go sometimes. Would love a new one, but the price just wasn't going to work this time around.

You're welcome. Focus attack is fine, I've ordered from them a few times. They're in PA and ship stuff out pretty fast. You'll want the 30mm buttons for the top panel. BTW, if cost is a concern, customizing could easily add $50 or more to the stick.

Doombear

You're welcome. Focus attack is fine, I've ordered from them a few times. They're in PA and ship stuff out pretty fast. You'll want the 30mm buttons for the top panel. BTW, if cost is a concern, customizing could easily add $50 or more to the stick.

Oh I knew ahead of time that I wanted something that I could customize. So I kind of factored in that cost when I grabbed the stick. Buttons and a balltop, art and plexi for the TE or buttons, balltop and a JLF for the Brawl Stick. In the end it was the plexi that sold me on the TE path. I don't want to have to worry about laminating and the possible mess that could result from THAT DIY... Thanks for the advice, I will surely have some pics up once I get it all done. Sadly, that may be awhile as the clear/smoke 30mm Sanwas seem to be out of stock.

Doombear

Anyone feel like touting the octagonal gate over the square that the Madcatz TE has? Looks like a very easy swap, but just not sure I need it. Are Sanwa clear buttons a relatively new thing for them? Seem to be pretty hard to find...

mr2xxx

Banned
Got a brawl stick also for $30 at amazon and I'm now trying to create a new graphic for it. This is what I got so far, no idea what I'm doing but it's coming along.

madftjbc.jpg

Top Bottom