• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Jubbly

tci said:
Yes. You can't even use the mouse in the menus at all. Only when the selection is active.

Huh, what? I've been playing for a week and have been using the mouse in all the UI elements.

Wow, so I thought for shits and giggles I would test at my iMac's native res (2560x1440) and if I set everything to high I can still get 32-40fps. It looks so damn good at that res, now I don't know If I should play it on the TV on Ultra or on my monitor on High.

ctrayne

catapult37 said:
It really does amaze me that people give a shit about install size. Economical use of space and compression is not a crime, nor does size scale directly with quality/size of game/assets/epeen.
Nah, I know. Not comparing e-peen. Just surprised.

RS4-

Lazy Jones said:
i72600k, 6950 2gb, 8gb ram

ultra settings, 1080p vsynced to 60 fps

nice, same setup, installing game later on.

Played 360 version as well, had some weird issues with the good ole Bethesda freeze where my system just locks up.

Truant

Jubbly said:
Only adds SLI and 3D Vision profiles for Skyrim. Main focus is BF3 fixes.

I see, but I might as well install it. My current driver is the beta driver before the last official one. It's weird that the game doesn't run smoother on my 580.

tci

Jubbly said:
Huh, what? I've been playing for a week and have been using the mouse in all the UI elements.
Doesn't work for me... It did work on and off during the character customization, but that's it.

edit: Hmm.. now it works better. Strange. But the menus doesn't respond to the mouse pointer. Annoying as hell. My last Bethesda game for sure.

Jubbly

Truant said:
I see, but I might as well install it. My current driver is the beta driver before the last official one. It's weird that the game doesn't run smoother on my 580.

What's your CPU? With a i7-2600K Skyrim runs perfectly on Ultra on a 560.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
tci said:
My last Bethesda game for sure.

Most likely a problem on your end, if other people don't have a problem with it. Driver issue is the main suspect.

But, by all means, dismiss every single future release by Bethesda because your mouse didn't work on a menu!

Jubbly

tci said:
Doesn't work for me... It did work on and off during the character customization, but that's it.

edit: Hmm.. now it works better. Strange. But the menus doesn't respond to the mouse pointer. Annoying as hell. My last Bethesda game for sure.

Sorry dude, something screwy on your end, everything mouse-related has worked fine for me in the 45hrs I've played. Only annoyance is the inventory going off if you click past to the left.

Echoplx

Disabling D3DOverider fixed my FPS problem, now getting a constant 60FPS on Ultra with occasional dips to 45 in town.

tci

FlyinJ said:
Most likely a problem on your end, if other people don't have a problem with it. Driver issue is the main suspect.

But, by all means, dismiss every single future release by Bethesda because your mouse didn't work on a menu!
As I edited, it's working better after I restarted the game. The GUI is either way terrible for PC imo, so yes, I will not buy another game from them. Tired of sloppy PC ports.

Durante

So I guess UI mods are just as required as they were for Oblivion, I din't expect anything different to be honest.

TheExodu5 said:
Why the hell do developers turn on mouse acceleration by default? Ridiculous.
Yeah, It's insane.

TheExodu5 said:
Anyways, my main concerns with this being a modified Gamebryo:

1) Mouse lag unless you reduce "CPU render ahead" in your GPU options to 0.
I worry about this one, but I have 120Hz and nHancer ready at hand.

MomoPufflet said:
Worth getting for PC if I'm on a GTX460 with a good processor? I haven't kept up with cards for a good year.
Absolutely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
catapult37 said:
Dude! Man up and clock that thing higher! I'm running stable and cool at 4.7!
Mine won't even stick at 3.7 :(

What are the main differences between high and ultra by the way?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
3chopl0x said:
Disabling D3DOverider fixed my FPS problem, now getting a constant 60FPS on Ultra with occasional dips to 45 in town.

BAH, games that clash with D3doverrider is like the worst... the stepchildren of my passionate pc gaming.

thefil

3chopl0x said:

Thanks for mentioning, I was going to install D3DOverrider but now I shall not.

Shadybiz

MomoPufflet said:
Worth getting for PC if I'm on a GTX460 with a good processor? I haven't kept up with cards for a good year.

Could you define "Good"? Just because I have the same question. I was already told that it would run well with 460, but I don't know what kind of processor they had. I have an i5 @ 750.

pahamrick

Does anyone have RadeonPro working with Skyrim WITH the Steam Overlay working (for achievements)? I can sort of get RP working by using it straight to the executable but then I don't get the overlay working to unlock achievements. When I just set up the profile and launch the game through Steam, RP never picks up that Skyrim launched to apply the settings.

Shadybiz said:
Could you define "Good"? Just because I have the same question. I was already told that it would run well with 460, but I don't know what kind of processor they had. I have an i5 @ 750.

I have an i5 750 as well, overclocked to 3.6ghz if I remember correctly. Maybe "good" was a stretch by today's standards, but mine is watercooled and OC'ed so I figured it holds up reasonably well.

Mrbob

Did I read right about a day 1 patch to fix the menu system? Hope so because what I'm hearing right now bugs me.

dark10x said:
Yes, but those locks rarely work well on the PC and typically introduce very minor microstuttering to the image. It becomes more consistent, but it's not as smooth as a solid 30 fps as you might see on a console. A very strange issues indeed.

Hopefully lowering details will allow me to hit 60, though.

I also hope I don't have to tweak any INI files like both Bethsoft Fallout titles (which would skip like crazy unless you made some changes - which then meant dropping below 60 fps resulted in slow motion gameplay).

Micro stuttering? Is this an ATI card issue? I haven't noticed this when capping at 30 in games with my Nvidia card.

Can anyone comment on gamepad performance? Even though Fallout 3 "natively supported" the 360 controller, it was missing the aim acceleration/dead zone refinements that made the console versions playable. Felt really stiff and jerky.

littlerat

Any word on if the game works properly on multi-monitor setups? Things like locking the mouse to the window, full screening on one or all monitors, etc.

Specifically AMD eyefinity if possible.

Derrick01

Banned
Salaadin said:
It clashes with d3doverrider? Does it at least have its own Vsync option that works good?

From what I saw earlier in the thread it seems like Vsync is automatically on and the only way to change it is an ini tweak, but apparently you lose a few frames if you just use d3d which is strange but hey it's a Bethesda game.

So I guess just turn d3d off for the game and roll with it.

Oemenia

Banned
Intel i3 330m @ 2.1ghz
3gb RAM
ATi HD5650 1gb (a little less powerful than an 8800gt when OCd)

Can i play this with the performance and graphics of console?

Shadybiz

MomoPufflet said:
I have an i5 750 as well, overclocked to 3.6ghz if I remember correctly. Maybe "good" was a stretch by today's standards, but mine is watercooled and OC'ed so I figured it holds up reasonably well.

Ah, cool; thank you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:
Now we now why the game is only 5GB.

The textures are all 128x128

Of course they are. The game was designed for hardware from 2005 and is targeting sub-512 MB of RAM.

I look forward to future high-res texture packs.

Oh, by the way, is it true that the game does not ship with mod-ability options, or did I only imagine reading that?

Sectus

I'm not seeing many screenshots being taken, grr!

Here's a couple a friend of mine took at highest settings:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996891968719673/9306F67331DF64F56D132F036C24E0D7F9DC7729/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996891969727227/AD78B0EA5B502DD0BB4B30B309224BF5CBD649C3/

I think textures (or at least most textures) are identical to console versions. The weird effect on her nose is the same on 360, and I think it's due to a low res normal or specular map. Environment looks really really great though and definitely better than on 360, primarily thanks to resolution.

Really how hard is it to hire a guy to make a PC specific UI, in Oblivion a mod that simply re-scales the UI to use the appropriate resolution and then rearranges things to utilize the extra space is a massive improvement. I can only think that they just don't care. I wish we actually had gaming journalism that would address this - if a console version turns out to be inferior to the PC version in some way metacritic ratings can tank because of it, but when it is the other way around (and it is to the point that we are expecting this kind of cheap port UI) it has almost zero effect on ratings.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
How will my 6770 Do? the graphics look pretty oblivion like, will i be able to max it ?

NIN90

Derrick01 said:
From what I saw earlier in the thread it seems like Vsync is automatically on and the only way to change it is an ini tweak, but apparently you lose a few frames if you just use d3d which is strange but hey it's a Bethesda game.

So I guess just turn d3d off for the game and roll with it.

How can I change that Vsync command? Because I hate Vsync.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
When I was first playing, I was hitting around 45-60, but after a while it has reduced down to the mid 30s, and even dips int he 20s in towns. No clue whats up, but I definitely feel like something is out of place.

965 3.4
ddr3 8 gigs

I've been noticing a lot of heavy dips too. Are there any updated drivers for ATI that I have not noticed?

ACE 1991

Stahsky said:
When I was first playing, I was hitting around 45-60, but after a while it has reduced down to the mid 30s, and even dips int he 20s in towns. No clue whats up, but I definitely feel like something is out of place.

965 3.4
ddr3 8 gigs

I've been noticing a lot of heavy dips too. Are there any updated drivers for ATI that I have not noticed?
Think you're getting bottle-necked by your CPU?

Top Bottom