• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Korezo

Your dock must be bent because the only reason it'd have a problem after applying it is because of that.
Also it covers the entire bezel and leaves the sensors and ports open... I mean I don't know what else you expected?

It doesn't cover the entire bezel, all sides are not fully covered. From what I seen all switch glass protectors don the same by leaving space on all sides. And I did the penny test on the dock, the penny slid up and down smoothly.

I've gone through four plates of tempered glass, and each time there's been an issue with either a bubble that won't go away or dust caught under the glass. I just ordered another set, which will hopefully be my last. I doubt there is any product like this yet, but is there by any chance an alternative to keep the screen protected while in-use without having to "glue" something to the screen? Like maybe some kind of plastic overlay that clips on and off?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need something to protect my Switch from falls while playing, not only carrying... while a DS or even 3DS looked sturdy enough and with a clamshell design, this thing looks like it's gonna break in a thousand pieces and I'm scared shitless

muteki

First experience installing an amFilm last night. It takes quite a bit of effort to get all the alcohol residue off after cleaning and I did end up with one spec of dust under the protector but it is off-screen on the bezel so I don't think I will do anything about it for now.

pariah164

I have my own solution for the dock scratching:

Never use the dock. Ever.

As a person playing it as a handheld only, I really have no use for the dock, so...

Felensis

Banned
Thanks to GAF I've ordered the amFilm tempered glass screen protector. I've applied it with the hinge method while being in the steamy bathroom. Worked flawlessly. Perfectly dust-free and bubble-free! The protector just slightly not straight, but that's barely visible.

Love it!

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/vRM3t

Thanks to GAF I've ordered the amFilm tempered glass screen protector. I've applied it with the hinge method while being in the steamy bathroom. Worked flawlessly. Perfectly dust-free and bubble-free! The protector just slightly not straight, but that's barely visible.

Love it!

I got mine on perfect on my first try. I highly recommend it. Seems very high quality and it's barely noticeable.

just bought a switch! going to get the AM glass protector. will do the shower and hinge method.

not sure if ill be taking this outside of the house, but are there any worthwhile carrying cases that aren't too "gamer'y'"?

Felensis

Banned
just bought a switch! going to get the AM glass protector. will do the shower and hinge method.

not sure if ill be taking this outside of the house, but are there any worthwhile carrying cases that aren't too "gamer'y'"?

The official one from Nintendo or the one from Hori. Both are minimalistic and not gamer'y

harpingon

Neo Member
How is the plastic screen protector that comes with the official carry case? Is it of good quality?

I think so.

I got one with the adventure bundle from nintendo store.

There's only one sheet in the pack though so be careful with it.

Interestingly, it's the only plastic film protector that I've ever managed to put on correctly first time. Normally I need to buy multiples because I mess them up.

B33

Banned
How does the tempered glass compare to the film protectors? My concern is the protector leaving behind a sticky residue.

Brizzo24

How common is it for the glass portion (screen) to lift out of its cradle and pop out a bit? The left side of my Switch is flawless, however the right-hand side protrudes about 1-2mm above the case so that the screen itself is sticking out. If I run my finger across the surface, from right to left, I can definitely feel the glass lifting up a tad.

Also, wow, I take exceptional care of my Switch. I am the ONLY person to use it, and when it's not docked I literally wrap it in a cloth and place it in a case, whenever I bring it on the go--which isn't often. But I have scratches on it from..placing it in the dock? Ugh. I hope Nintendo realizes the glass is super fragile and they help keep it protected while sliding it in and out of the dock.

RomanceDawn

Hey I scratched my screen by accidentally tossing my laptop on the couch where the Switch happened to be.

It's pretty small but I know its going to bug me forever.

I just shipped it over to one of Nintendo's repair centers. Do I need to worry about getting it back jacked up or with some weird screen or something? Anyone have their screens repaired at all?

Weevilone

How common is it for the glass portion (screen) to lift out of its cradle and pop out a bit? The left side of my Switch is flawless, however the right-hand side protrudes about 1-2mm above the case so that the screen itself is sticking out. If I run my finger across the surface, from right to left, I can definitely feel the glass lifting up a tad.

Also, wow, I take exceptional care of my Switch. I am the ONLY person to use it, and when it's not docked I literally wrap it in a cloth and place it in a case, whenever I bring it on the go--which isn't often. But I have scratches on it from..placing it in the dock? Ugh. I hope Nintendo realizes the glass is super fragile and they help keep it protected while sliding it in and out of the dock.

The screen is not glass, it's plastic. It's not difficult to damage.

seady

That is awesome!

As for the heat, not sure, it's a fair point though as the console does kick out a fair bit of heat especially with Zelda, I reckon it would be ok though.

I was lucky enough to be in Tokyo when the console came out and got one of these sexy Hori cases -

14eswgd.jpg

LGbpuqD.jpg

It's not going to protect it from a drop but it looks awesome!

I'm planning to get this too! But it seems a bit bulky after the Switch is in there.

LegendX48

I hate dust >.>

Got the amfilm tempered glass screen protector and there was a ton of dust under the first one so I decided to go ahead and try the shower method for the second one. It went on fairly dust free but crooked as well. The top left side goes a bit too high up. Gonna try to live with it lol

GWX

Will subscribe for protection against dock scratching solutions. A bit baffled it's an issue to begin with, but it's a great piece of tech otherwise. Those covers look nice, but I'm a bit scared regarding thermal issues. Will probably end up using electrical tape, small rubber pads or something like it.

Marow

Silly bump, but I ended going with with tempered glass (Orzly's) after all. That was the first time I ever put on a screen protector, so I was quite nervous... but it turned out fairly good! Much easier than I expected. I've now let it rest for 24 hours, so I'll try something light and then another day start playing Zelda again.

The reason for the bump is this silly question: am I insane, or does the tempered glass make the screen easier on the eyes? Feels like my eyes are more relaxed now than before.

japtor

Guys, now that some time has passed, what case/carrying pouch are you sticking with?
I got the small and medium sizes of this one (eh they're affordable enough and flexible enough for other uses):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7WWGY8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The small one is pretty tight, but it's nice for compactness. There's an even smaller one that's basically the left half of mine, someone else here has one and uses it with the joycons disconnected in the front pouch. I do that sometimes if I want to cram in some other stuff like my iPad.

The medium size one is nice for cramming in more stuff, I use it if I pack the dock and power and everything. Otherwise it's nice for other general notebook type uses too. That's one reason I got both, I figured worst case I can still use either one for anything else, vs purely a Switch specific case.
Will subscribe for protection against dock scratching solutions. A bit baffled it's an issue to begin with, but it's a great piece of tech otherwise. Those covers look nice, but I'm a bit scared regarding thermal issues. Will probably end up using electrical tape, small rubber pads or something like it.
Just get a glass screen protector cause the screen is plastic. Then you don't have to worry about the dock or any other random thing scratching it.
The reason for the bump is this silly question: am I insane, or does the tempered glass make the screen easier on the eyes? Feels like my eyes are more relaxed now than before.
Possibly but I forget if it made that much of a difference...and from a theoretical standpoint I can't really think of too many reasons why it'd improve things. Like maybe the glass might be flatter/smoother than the original plastic (with the adhesive/vacuum effect kinda covering for whatever plastic imperfections), or the glass is easier to clean in the case of fingerprints (particularly if it has an oleophobic coating, which I think most advertise), or if the glass has an anti reflective coating, but I'm not sure any have that.

AR coated glass would be really nice though. Or maybe a really fine matte glass, but I'm not sure anyone makes that screen protector wise, I'd guess they can't get fine enough to get around making high res screens grainy/cause the rainbow effect.

It looks like I have dust specks under the actual display glass; they're still there after removing the protector. Is that covered by warranty?

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Are there any smaller messenger-bag type uh.. bags for the Switch? I have the one that allows you to carry around the system and the dock and accessories and all that jazz, which is great if I'm bringing it over to a friend's house, but I want one just for the system so I can bring it around with me after work since I work downtown and want something that I can keep around my body but is small enough so that it doesn't completely stand out.

Weevilone

Are there any smaller messenger-bag type uh.. bags for the Switch? I have the one that allows you to carry around the system and the dock and accessories and all that jazz, which is great if I'm bringing it over to a friend's house, but I want one just for the system so I can bring it around with me after work since I work downtown and want something that I can keep around my body but is small enough so that it doesn't completely stand out.

Waterfield City Slicker?

Is there any difference in coverage between the AmFilm and Orzly glass screen protectors?

Like, does one get closer to the edges than other, size wise, or are they both the same?

Alchemist

Just got my Switch today and applied the Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector.. Is it safe to use the dock without scratching the tablet, or is it still advised to get rubberised tape/pads?

alf717

Just got my Switch today and applied the Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector.. Is it safe to use the dock without scratching the tablet, or is it still advised to get rubberised tape/pads?

Been using my Switch with an Orzly protector in dock mode now for over a month. Didn't notice any scratches but I also take my time docking the Switch. Works great. I left the Switch alone for 8+ hour (basically fell asleep) and in the morning gave it a good test while docked to see if the adhesive would give and it hasn't peeled on me. I'm not sure how important curing is but it was recommended by Orzly to let the screen protector cure to the screen for around 6-8 hours.

Alchemist

Been using my Switch with an Orzly protector in dock mode now for over a month. Didn't notice any scratches but I also take my time docking the Switch. Works great. I left the Switch alone for 8+ hour (basically fell asleep) and in the morning gave it a good test while docked to see if the adhesive would give and it hasn't peeled on me. I'm not sure how important curing is but it was recommended by Orzly to let the screen protector cure to the screen for around 6-8 hours.

By cure, do you mean left alone once applied? I used mine but don't recall touching the screen much at all.

zigg

Worth noting that I have a bent dock (does not pass the penny test), but I put electrical tape on the rails and I don't yet have a mark on my Switch. Gets docked an average of once a day.

Felensis

Banned

Love it!

So soon after I've applied mine I've discovered that there is a LOT of tiny hairs and dust under the amfilm protector even though I've did the hinge / steamy method -_-
This only got visible under bright light conditions like sunlight or bright lamps. I'm a perfectionist and this nabs on me constantly so I got rid of it and now I have the standard Hori screen protector applied. Took me ~1hr to to apply it this time with ZERO dust etc. Looks perfect now and instead of the official screen protector from Nintendo which comes with their bag the Hori didn't got any scratches so far.

I also got the Hori Tough Travel Pouch which is a lot better than the very soft one from Nintendo.

What's the general consensus on dock sleeves? Seems there's a worry that they attract dust/dirt and get gritty fast, but they seem like a prettier (and easy to apply) solution?

https://www.etsy.com/market/switch_dock_sleeve

I got one from Etsy and so far I'm not pleased with it so that I don't have it applied to my dock. With the sleeve applied the dock slot is to narrow especially in the bottom part. You have to use force to get it docked and that causes easily scratches on the back and the bottom of your Switch. I've also got concerned real fast about the heat because with the sleeve applied the Switch's fan was running more often and even louder than usual. So no recommendation from me for those sleeves... even though they look awesome when applied.

Any news on the Hori Premium Screen Protection. Amazon reviews are old. Did they fix the issues in the meanwhile?

This is very off topic but I'm concerned with using a charger in spec with the Switch, so I bought a second one, used from GameStop for 22.99. am I a sucker for paying that much for a charger or could I find a good USB C. charger for cheaper?

piggychan

This is very off topic but I'm concerned with using a charger in spec with the Switch, so I bought a second one, used from GameStop for 22.99. am I a sucker for paying that much for a charger or could I find a good USB C. charger for cheaper?

I tried this using a power bank along with c-type cable and, plugging the cable directly to mains using apple usb plug but you can only power up the switch but not get any image on TV despite being docked.

2AF7E60E-95FB-457C-B0DF-0E324F9DA376.jpg

^Thanks!
Also, during their 'Pro Day' tomorrow on the 10th, GameStop will have the messenger bag on sale for 34.99. normally, it's a meager discount but I've been secretly craving it and I won't be charged tax on my trade credit so I might wind up caving.

Clov

Looking for a case for my Switch. Seeing some stuff by a company called Chinfai on Amazon.ca for pretty cheap. Are these cases any good? What are the best cases for the Switch out there that are still affordable?

SlickVic

I'm glad they give 2 protectors with amFilm. First one I tried wound up getting a tiny spec of dust caught under the protector. One of those silly things where no one else would probably notice it, but when you know exactly where it is, it just drives you crazy when you see it. 2nd time made sure to run a hot shower first so there was less dust particles in the air, and seemed to work out.

Also picked up the RDS Travel Deluxe Case, which looks pretty good for my needs. Feels pretty sturdy and should protect the systems from scruffs and scratches when I put it in my backpack.

amFIlm is clutch. Found the "Hinge" method to be the easiest way to get it on without dust and such. My dock is a monster...I already have a few hairline vertical scratches on the back of the device. I need more safe back skins to come out, so I can cover up the wounds.

AEREC

Putting on the tempered glass protector is fucking impossible without bubbles or dirt. 8 bucks down the drain.

Did you use the shower method (steamy room)? I just applied the amfilm one and had 1 tiny bubble and one big bubble (quarter sized) and was able to work them out with a credit card.

Love it!

A good application of the screen protector is oddly satisfying and incredibly frustrating if it doesn't work out.

Ive got this case on the way:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZRM6C1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I figure with that and a screen protector, I can finally just through it in my bag and go.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey bumping for a quick question.

Just picked up the amFilm glass screen protector for my Switch, and thinking about putting it on tomorrow morning. My worry lies in taking it off and scared it's gonna leave residue that's hard to get off or mess up the screen with scratches or anything bad. Are these usually safe to take off months later?

Opa-Pa

Hey bumping for a quick question.

Just picked up the amFilm glass screen protector for my Switch, and thinking about putting it on tomorrow morning. My worry lies in taking it off and scared it's gonna leave residue that's hard to get off or mess up the screen with scratches or anything bad. Are these usually safe to take off months later?

I took mine off some minutes after putting it on because I messed up and it left absolutely no trace of anything, I was impressed.

Top Bottom