• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Three phone sizes sounds hard to believe unless it is a considerably smaller phone like the iPhone SE. If these phones feature slim bezels the XL is already going to be pretty big itself so it has to be either a small option or a tablet.

Hasney

Three phone sizes sounds hard to believe unless it is a considerably smaller phone like the iPhone SE. If these phones feature slim bezels the XL is already going to be pretty big itself so it has to be either a small option or a tablet.

No it doesn't. There's been a can base waiting for a true Nexus 6 successor so they might get it. I am feeling the loss of screen still from N6 to N6P

reKon

Banned

Been so busy that I didn't to see this until now. I went to GSMArena and literally rushed here to post this, finding that you have already done so, haha.

Regarding the third rumored device, PLEASE be a Google Pixel C successor.

Also, can we please talk about these bezels? Lol...

gsmarena_001.jpg

Quasar

Google's phone released a half year from now to have same processor as phones released in last two months. Weak.

I hope it's a 4", 5", 6" selection. Would be nice.

Probably 5, 6 and 7.

Maybe by then there will be enough 835s available. Of course they will probably still be starved of screens.

No it doesn't. There's been a can base waiting for a true Nexus 6 successor so they might get it. I am feeling the loss of screen still from N6 to N6P
Yeah but the Galaxy S8+ is already pretty similar in size to the Nexus 6 and it has a larger display. What I'm saying is, if we assume that the new Pixel and Pixel XL offer screen sizes similar to the Galaxy S8 series than it really wouldn't leave a lot of room for an even larger device because how much larger could you really go and how many people would want it? That being said if there was a smaller device than what the S8 offered it would make more sense since the S8 is still pretty big for a lot of people.

Quasar

Looking forward to not being able to buy any single one of those as well

Heh. Yeah. If I'm spending more than 400$ I might as well wait and see what the oled iphone8 is like. Of course knowing Apple that will probably be the ludicrous 1000$ anniversary edition.

Jeffrey

Been so busy that I didn't to see this until now. I went to GSMArena and literally rushed here to post this, finding that you have already done so, haha.

Those better have the loudest stereo speakers known to man.

Guys. Suggest please.

The Galaxy S8+ here in India is Rupees 65000 ($1000). LG G6 is Rupees 42000 ($650). There is a cash back for pre-ordering the G6 about $150, which is why it feels considerably cheaper.

I already pre-ordered the S8+ which releases here in the first week of May but the G6 was announced yesterday, releasing on the 28th and it seems such a good value for money.

Any suggestions?

No Love

Banned
Guys. Suggest please.

The Galaxy S8+ here in India is Rupees 65000 ($1000). LG G6 is Rupees 42000 ($650). There is a cash back for pre-ordering the G6 about $150, which is why it feels considerably cheaper.

I already pre-ordered the S8+ which releases here in the first week of May but the G6 was announced yesterday, releasing on the 28th and it seems such a good value for money.

Any suggestions?

Get the G6. The S8+ is not worth 2x as much.

Jeffrey

heck, get a v20. its basically the same shit as the G6, think it actually has a bigger screen lol. Probably way cheaper.

don't know which g6 india gets, I assume the quad dac the v20 has?

Do you want a new phone?

What do you mean, as for the specs? Yeah then the S8+ is clearly the winner with the newer processor.

The G6 is a great device. It definitely doesn't get the same notoriety the S8 will.

I'm currently using the G5, I like it. Lovely screen. I'm a huge fan of the G2.

Get the G6. The S8+ is not worth 2x as much.

Oh snap!

heck, get a v20. its basically the same shit as the G6, think it actually has a bigger screen lol. Probably way cheaper.

don't know which g6 india gets, I assume the quad dac the v20 has?

Yeah India gets the quad DAC G6. Here is a link from its Amazon page. Pre-order starts today and you get about $150 cash back. Thing is you'd have to pre-order today to get that cash back.

http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=13130341031&ref=spks_0_0_1305285427&qid=1493088505&pf_rd_p=1305285427&pf_rd_m=A21TJRUUN4KGV&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0QC3EHHTB4NAF5Z1FN0D&pf_rd_i=lg+g6

The V20 is about $590 right now. G6 was launched yesterday, so the V20 dropped its price by about $350. Was around $875 I think.

G6 is $650 after the cash back. And you get these offers.
50% off on LG Tone Active+ HBS-A100 headset worth Rs. 9,990
Free EA Special gifts worth Rs. 14,100 for 6 games including Cookie Jam, Temple Run 2, and Spider-Man Unlimited
Free one time screen replacement within 6 months of purchase

S8 - $900
S8+ - $1010
S8/S8+ comes with free wireless charger, you'd have to claim it after you receive the phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That's a lock man. The G6 is a solid phone and you get the quad DAC.

Only thing not winning is your choice in sports teams *ahem*

kaiyo

Thinnest side bezel I ever seen.

They make console revisions with more significant redesigns.

Xperia Z released 4 years ago.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jeffrey

the light on the s8+ is fucking bright though. I have to flip the phone face down when charging at night lol.

wonder if there is a setting.

3 days usage so far impressions.

- performance is generally decent with some packages disabled. nav buttons still have delays. feels like samsung stuff has always had this for some reason.
- there tweaks to multitasking makes it way better than nougat's.
- I've generally liked all the goodies 'touchwiz' adds to android. The bluetooth management is lightyears ahead of android.
- bluetooth 5 is finicky, but once paired it can connect quickly, even to my crappy subaru.
- first time with a wireless charging phone in a while. got a $20 fast charging stand, and just slap my phone on there at work. Pretty nice! Wonder if its bad for the battery to just have the phone charging frequently?
- screen is the sex. Makes every other phone I have around feel like dinosaur phones.
- finger print position is bad, especially bad if you use a flip case (and I do like the official s-view flip case!).
- Iris scanner is finicky with glasses.
- face scanner is too good, but apparently not secure... so whats the point?

Good stuff.

Oh what the fuck. I didn't know this. That's such a small but useful addition. Not sure why they had to get rid of that.

Yeah, I use led notification at work since I keep my phone on silent and I can see easily when someone texts with the blinking light.

the light on the s8+ is fucking bright though. I have to flip the phone face down when charging at night lol.

wonder if there is a setting.

3 days usage so far impressions.

- performance is generally decent with some packages disabled. nav buttons still have delays. feels like samsung stuff has always had this for some reason.
- there tweaks to multitasking makes it way better than nougat's.
- I've generally liked all the goodies 'touchwiz' adds to android. The bluetooth management is lightyears ahead of android.
- bluetooth 5 is finicky, but once paired it can connect quickly, even to my crappy subaru.
- first time with a wireless charging phone in a while. got a $20 fast charging stand, and just slap my phone on there at work. Pretty nice! Wonder if its bad for the battery to just have the phone charging frequently?
- screen is the sex. Makes every other phone I have around feel like dinosaur phones.
- finger print position is bad, especially bad if you use a flip case (and I do like the official s-view flip case!).
- Iris scanner is finicky with glasses.
- face scanner is too good, but apparently not secure... so whats the point?

Good stuff.

Have you tried switching to Nova launcher? Read that gets rid of the touchwiz lag on the s8. Should get exynos version. It already has twrp and custom rooms.

Jeffrey

Yeah, I use led notification at work since I keep my phone on silent and I can see easily when someone texts with the blinking light.

Have you tried switching to Nova launcher? Read that gets rid of the touchwiz lag on the s8. Should get exynos version. It already has twrp and custom rooms.

im always using nova, but that doesn't solve the nav buttons 'delay'. it's not really a big problem, but something you notice if you've been using a pixel the past few months lol.

It not nova try action launcher 3. I've been using it since release and I love it. Only downside is that there isn't a message counter for whatsapp but that's a minimal thing. I like how the Google search bar color changes based on your theme, how swiping from the left screen brings out your list of apps with search functions, etc...

im always using nova, but that doesn't solve the nav buttons 'delay'. it's not really a big problem, but something you notice if you've been using a pixel the past few months lol.

Oh yeah it's noticeable to me. I tried one out in a T-Mobile store. Way too much lag that isn't there on other phones. Waiting on the Oneplus a5000. Hope they get a HDR 1440p panel.

Jeffrey

Oh yeah it's noticeable to me. I tried one out in a T-Mobile store. Way too much lag that isn't there on other phones. Waiting on the Oneplus a5000. Hope they get a HDR 1440p panel.

no chance lol.

In the end, the screen is what this phone is about. I can stomach a bit of stutter here and there. I'd gladly get a pixel 2 or whatever if they offered similar minimal bezel displays.

I can't imagine those being too common this year, especially with samsung hording their top end amoled curvy shit for themselves (and apple?).

capitain obvious (unless qualcomm has 836 or something like that when pixel launches)
I mean, some leaks are just .... well, kinda expected aren't they?

I wish some OEMs used kirin or exynos for a change. especially considering some of those seem to be better regarding overall performance and battery life.

Samsung and Huawei only care to sell their SoCs if the phone moves volumes, they do that with their own brands.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google's phone released a half year from now to have same processor as phones released in last two months. Weak.

I hope it's a 4", 5", 6" selection. Would be nice.

There is a certain part of me that says what's the fucking point of a Pixel in the world of the Galaxy S8.

It's not gonna do anything appreciably better than what's already out and it's 6 months behind the curve yet again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
by that logic what's the point of any phone?

Cheaper? 90% of the performance for half the cost?

It's the same logic of what's the point of the G6. Good phone, but if you are paying MSRP why not just get the S8.

There is room for cheaper stuff like the OnePlus, Hawaii, Moto G, and Axon.

Problem is the Pixel gonna cost as much if not MORE than the S8 in 6 months.

It's the same logic of what's the point of the G6. Good phone, but if you are paying MSRP why not just get the S8.

As someone who thinks Google should spend more time and effort with the Android One program (bringing it up to mid-to-high specs), the Pixel isn't supposed to sell like a S8 and if it "helps" OEMs get their shit together and make a better product, I'm fine with it. It's not made to compete with the Iphone sales-wise.

Having said that, there's a complete lack of direction at Google regarding Android outside of "let's get as many users on our services as possible"

Groof

you're talking about a product nobody knows anything about

Top Bottom