• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Montresor

So recently:

Got the 1000/1000 in Her Majesty's Spiffing. I'll give it a 4/5. That was a really neat puzzle/adventure game. It didn't have any extraordinary game play but it legitimately made me laugh out loud a couple of times. The comedy/writing is pretty damn good. Great references to pop culture / movies. It had screen tearing problems but it didn't bother me too much.

Also got the 1000/1000 in Song Of The Deep which I'll rate a 4/5. That was a really good Metroidvania game. I loved the beautiful environments in that game. Great little underwater exploration game to play right after Abzu especially. Biggest strengths of this game were the gorgeous backgrounds/environments and the narrator. I really liked that Irish (?) gal. Also, I was really really impressed with the two big puzzle dungeons in the middle of the game. I didn't expect that at all. This is a Metroidvania game through and through, but what I don't see in many Metroidvania games is the developer just throwing in lengthy puzzle dungeons in the middle. That was great.

I also gave Late Shift a 4/5 (but I posted my thoughts on that game already earlier in the thread).

I also got a code from the developer for the game Narcosis. Yay!!! I'm a few minutes in but I just want to comment on the presentation pre-game-play. I like the slickness of the menus, and I especially love that one of the menu items just has mug shots of everyone in the crew. I had a little bit of fun looking at everyone and seeing name, nationality, and position. One of the crew members is from Syria (which is where I was born) so that was neat. What I'm having a bit of trouble with so far is the controls and field of view. I don't like that you can't look directly at the ground / at your feet. I can't think of an first-person game that didn't let you do that. Whether it was an action game like Halo or Wolfenstein or a puzzle game like The Turing Test or Gone Home... you can usually just stare at the ground. Not being able to stare at the ground, and having a chunk of the field of view taken up by vital signs / computer info / visor is hampering my enjoyment a little.

But again I am very very very early so yeah it'll take a full playthrough for me to fairly rate the game. Basically, early on I like the menus, setting, and story presentation but I'm really unenthusiastic about the visor taking up part of the screen during game play and being unable to look at the ground - makes getting my bearings and exploring a little difficult.

Started playing Narcosis and got completely hooked up. Had to stop because I was starving and later have to go to the gym, but I can't wait to go back.

I loved that it's very claustrophobic inside the suit. At first it seemed like it was going to be annoying, but really adds more to the atmosphere. I'm not a huge fan of Vr, but it seemed that if it had support for it, could be very disconcerting in a good way. You also have to constantly check for your oxygen and that also adds a lot to the tension.

The story so far seems a bit like Alien under the sea, so that's good on that front as well.

The game is prettier than the videos made it seem, and the image is quite clean (looks like 1080p), and runs very well, with some minor hiccups.

Oh, and I totally recommend playing with the HT loud, or with headphones, because the sound work adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Montresor

Alright I'm up to chapter 6 in Narcosis and I've deleted the game. Lukas, my experience with the game is the reverse opposite of yours in terms of negativity / positivity.

I wish I at least got an achievement on the game (then I'd be able to rate the game on trueachievements.com - it's just a habit of mine to always rate every game I play). But I can't play the game any longer. Just can't get into it, so it's deleted.

I cannot stand the controls. I don't mind at all that the character is slow. I think it adds to the charm of the game. The character is in a big, hefty diving suit, so it makes sense that he's slow. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is the tank controls. I don't like that hitting left and right on the left stick rotates the character. It makes it extremely cumbersome to control the character. Sometimes, I just want to strafe left or right, not because I want to quickly evade something, but because that's just the way I prefer to move in FPS games. And it's like that in every favourite FPS of mine that I can think of, whether it's Modern Warfare, Titanfall, Halo, Gone Home, The Turing Test, The Witness, etc...

In fact just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I just loaded up The Witness. In that game if you hit left or right on the left stick, you strafe. You don't rotate.

The other part of the controls I hate is that when you use the right stick to look, your whole body doesn't move with you. Christ, 50% of the time my screen looked like the below screenshot. Because I'd use the right stick to look left or right and then half my screen would be covered by the helmet/visor. And I'd have to use the left stick to rotate my character's body to correct.

image8exl9.png

I'm sorry to the developer because quite frankly I was given this game for free and while I very much appreciate the kind gesture, I didn't like the game. I can't muster the enthusiasm to continue playing. :( I know the developer is apparently hurting for sales so I feel bad.

Montresor

I agree with Lukas about the atmosphere/story and the claustrophobic nature of the game. That is all very good.

I really liked the attention to detail, especially in the office and living areas of the underwater habitat. I especially enjoyed exploring the crew members' individual dormitories and seeing what kind of photos/posters they had on their walls.

The atmosphere was on point. With really good use of lighting.

But the controls I think are legitimately bad. This is not up to the standard that I expect with other first-person perspective games. Doesn't matter if I'm playing a slow puzzle game like The Witness or a fast-paced action game like Halo, I haven't encountered bad controls like that in a first-person game before.

Fox Mulder

I really don't get the complaints on the controls. You're in a bulky suit under water. I picked up the head and suit movements pretty quickly and it moves like I imagine it would.

Great atmosphere so far.

Alright I'm up to chapter 6 in Narcosis and I've deleted the game. Lukas, my experience with the game is the reverse opposite of yours in terms of negativity / positivity.

I wish I at least got an achievement on the game (then I'd be able to rate the game on trueachievements.com - it's just a habit of mine to always rate every game I play). But I can't play the game any longer. Just can't get into it, so it's deleted.

I cannot stand the controls. I don't mind at all that the character is slow. I think it adds to the charm of the game. The character is in a big, hefty diving suit, so it makes sense that he's slow. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is the tank controls. I don't like that hitting left and right on the left stick rotates the character. It makes it extremely cumbersome to control the character. Sometimes, I just want to strafe left or right, not because I want to quickly evade something, but because that's just the way I prefer to move in FPS games. And it's like that in every favourite FPS of mine that I can think of, whether it's Modern Warfare, Titanfall, Halo, Gone Home, The Turing Test, The Witness, etc...

In fact just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I just loaded up The Witness. In that game if you hit left or right on the left stick, you strafe. You don't rotate.

The other part of the controls I hate is that when you use the right stick to look, your whole body doesn't move with you. Christ, 50% of the time my screen looked like the below screenshot. Because I'd use the right stick to look left or right and then half my screen would be covered by the helmet/visor. And I'd have to use the left stick to rotate my character's body to correct.

I'm sorry to the developer because quite frankly I was given this game for free and while I very much appreciate the kind gesture, I didn't like the game. I can't muster the enthusiasm to continue playing. :( I know the developer is apparently hurting for sales so I feel bad.
It's a shame you didn't liked, I got used to the controls quickly but I can understand how annoying it is to play a game when controls don't click.

Edit: did you looked at the settings? Perhaps there's some option to adjust controls

Montresor

How do you beat Chapter 8 in Narcosis?

I've looked at multiple guides on youtube and I legitimately can't piece together where I'm supposed to go. It seems like there are multiple paths and I keep dying.

Edit: Well I finally beat ch. 8.

Edit#2: I'm going to stop posting about this after this post, because Ch.8 and Ch.9 have frustrated me so much that I'm feeling concerned about my blood pressure (legitimately). I won't have any nice things to say so I'm just going to stop. There is this puzzle in Ch.9 that seems nonsensical to me:
you're in front of a gravestone and you have to choose what appear to be random paths; if you choose the right path you respawn and the gravestone turns into something else. Fucking so frustrating. And when you make a wrong random choice, the screen's UI / real estate starts shrinking. Ugggh

Does Butcher include the "Casual" difficulty? On PC it was added post-release, as DLC. The game isn't impossible or unenjoyable without it, but I found it a bit more chill and fun playing on that mode.

How do you beat Chapter 8 in Narcosis?

I've looked at multiple guides on youtube and I legitimately can't piece together where I'm supposed to go. It seems like there are multiple paths and I keep dying.

Edit: Well I finally beat ch. 8.

Edit#2: I'm going to stop posting about this after this post, because Ch.8 and Ch.9 have frustrated me so much that I'm feeling concerned about my blood pressure (legitimately). I won't have any nice things to say so I'm just going to stop. There is this puzzle in Ch.9 that seems nonsensical to me:
you're in front of a gravestone and you have to choose what appear to be random paths; if you choose the right path you respawn and the gravestone turns into something else. Fucking so frustrating. And when you make a wrong random choice, the screen's UI / real estate starts shrinking. Ugggh

I'm stuck on chapter 8 as well, don't know if it's because I'm not going to the right place, but
I find the other shuttle, go through it and the screen goes black with another dialogue with the woman telling me I didn't followed protocol and them the screen stays black.
. I already tried exploring further than that, found some other things, but it seems that area is a small sand box and that is the only seemingly way out.

I tried restarting the chapter a few times but I always get a blank screen after that dialogue.

Edit: But I was really enjoying my time with the game up to that point, my major complain is how your oxygen intake increases during an attack even when you get the time right and avoid the attack. Since oxygen is basically a health bar, feels like I'm being punished for doing the right thing (specially because getting it is almost non consequential other than the oxygen intake increasing as well)

Edit 2: I decided to have another go after posting and now it past that!

Edit3: I just beat the chapter 9 and read your spoiler about ch 9. I barely even noticed the puzzle XD Seemed right away that was just a trial and error so I just went by and finished at first. The vision shrinking isn't really about when you miss the path, every time you
hallucinate the vision starts becoming black (until you die when it fades completely), but in that puzzle since it was shorter the rate the vision gets black is higher

Edit 4: And finished! Loved the game and the end. Hard to believe it was the first game by the team.

Hey man, sorry didn't catch up on all this sooner. Shame you had so many struggles - it was a bummer (but still kinda fascinating) to watch your enthusiasm shift to frustration. If you ever decide to revisit it, when it comes to getting out of those caverns: just remember the overall goal of the game: always going up, and towards the surface...

Thanks for playing, though, and sharing your thoughts, all the same. Given your experience, do you think it's advisable I give away more Xbox keys here/elsewhere, or is that too "risky?"

I really don't get the complaints on the controls. You're in a bulky suit under water. I picked up the head and suit movements pretty quickly and it moves like I imagine it would.
Great atmosphere so far.

Thanks, hope you have a chance to reach the end. From what (some) folks are saying, it kinda/sorta/maybe/definitely makes up for the games other shortcomings.

eastx

Thanks, hope you have a chance to reach the end. From what (some) folks are saying, it kinda/sorta/maybe/definitely makes up for the games other shortcomings.

Any chance you'll update the controls or add an updated control scheme? That's the main thing scaring me away right now.

Presumably no strafe is a design choice given the context. From what i have played so far it has not been a pain, but only in the early stages!

eastx

Presumably no strafe is a design choice given the context. From what i have played so far it has not been a pain, but only in the early stages!

Maybe! Half the time those issues with indie games are caused by "PC developer doesn't know how to design for console, might never have touched a controller before."

Yep it was intentional. We anticipated that some folks would have an issue with it, but honestly the feedback in that regard hasn't been too bad. We tried to do something 'different' - on a lot of levels - and creating the feeling of something more cumbersome, and less nimble was one of them... ha, for better or worse. In this case, strafe wouldn't only be "not realistic" (however you define that, when it comes to games), but also, here it doesn't add anything to the experience, in that you don't need to dodge projectiles, etc.

For sure I can see that for some folks it's a "no sale," but that call was made a long while back. As mentioned before, there are plenty of shortcomings and cases of "first time developer"-itis, but we're pretty happy with what we've accomplished, and (personally) for the story we set out to tell.

Montresor

Hey man, sorry didn't catch up on all this sooner. Shame you had so many struggles - it was a bummer (but still kinda fascinating) to watch your enthusiasm shift to frustration. If you ever decide to revisit it, when it comes to getting out of those caverns: just remember the overall goal of the game: always going up, and towards the surface...

Thanks for playing, though, and sharing your thoughts, all the same. Given your experience, do you think it's advisable I give away more Xbox keys here/elsewhere, or is that too "risky?"

Hey man, no need to apologize. You're in my good books as a developer. I am grateful to have gotten the code, because it's a $20 game. That isn't a trivial amount for me.

And sometimes I have control hangups that don't bother other people at all. There are people in this thread that really liked the game anyhow.

I'm not sure I can comment on the risk of giving away keys. All I can say is I would be keen to try out the developer's next game. Because sure, I didn't like the controls and found some level design frustrating, but the atmosphere and premise was pretty good.

I'm not sure I can comment on the risk of giving away keys. All I can say is I would be keen to try out the developer's next game. Because sure, I didn't like the controls and found some level design frustrating, but the atmosphere and premise was pretty good.

All good, thanks for the response. RE: codes, well it can't hurt, right? I'll leave a few more Xbox (and Steam) keys in the "official" thread, and see what shakes out...

Montresor

So there is so much hubbub about how Xbox has no games but I can't keep up with all the games I want to play on the system. The system is missing out on plenty of Japanese games which is a shame, but I don't have time for everything I want to play either way!

Yesterday Seasons After Fall came out (and it looks like a neat puzzle platformer), and today Mr. Pumpkin (neat puzzle game) and Phantom Dust (OG Xbox port/remaster) came out. Not enough time in the day. Last week some of the best DLC ever came out too (Hot Wheels for Forza Horizon 3). And Rime is coming up really soon - I'm excited for that game. And I haven't had a chance to play these other really really good-looking puzzle games like Little Nightmares, Thimbleweed Park or Dreamfall Chapters.

Right now I'm playing these three games at the same time, really enjoying all three.

1) Voodoo Vince: What an awesome refreshing title on Xbox. We don't get enough of these kinds of platformers. Really love the charming music and character design. Game play is fun - I love that each level is basically a mini sandbox. It's fun to solve the game's mini puzzles and find each collectible in those mini sandboxes.

2) The Inner World: Point and click puzzle game with a really, really good art style, and really funny writing. The main character is written like a naive child and it's pretty hilarious to see him consistently misunderstand people's intentions/jokes. A lot of good deadpan humour.

3) Aaero: So I made a thread about how this could be a possible GOTY candidate. I'm really really impressed with this game. It's a mix between a twin stick shooter and a rhythm game. And it has great dubstep music. I beat normal but the game is kicking my butt. I can't get enough stars to unlock Advanced mode heh.

Vert boil

Managed to snag a Necrosis code from the other thread.

The game is fine so far with some nice unique moments. Stopped playing at lvl 8 as I seemed to reach a deadend. Watching a vid shows I'm in the right place
but the spidercrab isn't following me up the path. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can trigger him.
I wish you could back stab those fucks, assholes.

I don't have an issue with the controls but it felt like they were designed for VR and they weren't tweaked for a traditional experience. The way the character moves and the camera rotates makes it feel like you aren't a human in a suit but a guy in a craft/mech. Nothing jarring but I'd prefer if things were re-kerjiggered.

Montresor

So I included Mr. Pumpkin Adventure in my previous post in my "too many games to play list' but that was just based off its screenshots which looked sort of charming. I saw trailer and damn that game looks pretty bad.

I think I'll pass... did anyone here play it?

shingi70

Banned
How does pre-ordering and pre loading work bow. If I preorder Destiny 2 I won't get charged until around the time the game comes out right?

How does pre-ordering and pre loading work bow. If I preorder Destiny 2 I won't get charged until around the time the game comes out right?

On xbox you will be charged immediately, and if the game s available to download you ca start the pre loading. You can cancel the order and ask for a refund before the game launch, but it is a pain.

U2NUMB

OK not sure what Tokyo 42 is but the screenshots make it look awesome... its in the coming soon section.

Just bought Shadow Warrior 2... which is oddly only available in a bundle with the first game...

U2NUMB

After a couple hours.. shadow warrior 2 is just balls out fun.. doesnt look amazing on X1 compared to PC but it plays great.

Vert boil

The game have a demo with achievements and no time limit.

It's finally available again. Are you sure it was a demo/trial? Apparently there was an error and it was showing for free yesterday and they pulled it from the store. Just a buy option atm like there was yesterday morning,

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It's finally available again. Are you sure it was a demo/trial? Apparently there was an error and it was showing for free yesterday and they pulled it from the store. Just a buy option atm like there was yesterday morning,

Maybe i have the full game for free? :O I downloaded the game in the moment they put it in the store so maybe is that.

Vert boil

Started Skylar & Plux, It's okay so far, fairly linear and it's mostly relaxing. The game doesn't shy away from being difficult but the problem is that the challenge comes from poor design. Frame rate can be choppy at times.

Polished off Narcosis over the weekend. No way to say this without giving it away,
the narrative gimmick really pays off at the end of the game.
Quite a few interesting moments throughout. Worth trying when it lands at your preferred price point.

Montresor

Well that was a productive long weekend (Monday was a holiday in Canada).

Finished 13 Reasons Why on Netflix. Really enjoyed that show.

Also finished Aaero, The Inner World, and Voodoo Vince. Got 510/1000 gamerscore or thereabouts in Aaero. I hit a plateau and decided I'd had enough (though I still loved the fuck out of that game). And got the full 1000/1000 in Voodoo Vince and The Inner World.

So I did a blind playthrough of Voodoo Vince - I always strive to do that because what's fun about playing a puzzle game alongside a guide?

And I ended up, through luck, getting all collectibles before the final boss in Voodoo Vince. Which was incredibly fortuitous because turns if you reach the final boss in Voodoo Vince, collectibles becomes locked out. You're forced to then do a full second playthrough for collectibles achievements... Im happy as fuck that I ended getting all the collectibles in retrospect. Didn't realize it was missable. I just thought "might as well grab these last few collectibles before I continue *shrug*".

4.5/5 for both Aaero and The Inner World. Both excellent games. 4/5 for Voodoo Vince. Absolutely loved that game's charm and level design but the graphics were extremely dated, blocky, and unpolished.

Well that was a productive long weekend (Monday was a holiday in Canada).

Finished 13 Reasons Why on Netflix. Really enjoyed that show.

Also finished Aaero, The Inner World, and Voodoo Vince. Got 510/1000 gamerscore or thereabouts in Aaero. I hit a plateau and decided I'd had enough (though I still loved the fuck out of that game). And got the full 1000/1000 in Voodoo Vince and The Inner World.

So I did a blind playthrough of Voodoo Vince - I always strive to do that because what's fun about playing a puzzle game alongside a guide?

And I ended up, through luck, getting all collectibles before the final boss in Voodoo Vince. Which was incredibly fortuitous because turns if you reach the final boss in Voodoo Vince, collectibles becomes locked out. You're forced to then do a full second playthrough for collectibles achievements... Im happy as fuck that I ended getting all the collectibles in retrospect. Didn't realize it was missable. I just thought "might as well grab these last few collectibles before I continue *shrug*".

4.5/5 for both Aaero and The Inner World. Both excellent games. 4/5 for Voodoo Vince. Absolutely loved that game's charm and level design but the graphics were extremely dated, blocky, and unpolished.
I'm actually pretty pissed with Inner World cause I could have sworn I talked to everyone for that achievement but it didn't unlock. Oh well, not playing through it again, I have other backlog games to get to

Top Bottom