• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

So from now on whenever someone talks about how NeoGAF isn't really that influential can we all be like, "oh yeah well remember that one time..."

Mit-

CartridgeBlower said:
Awesome. Can you make a quick video of it and post either here or to youtube so ND can compare and help fix the problem for those who are?
Sounds more like he's just okay with 2 dimensional aiming.

And remember, the aiming DOES NOT behave this way in multiplayer. You actually have 360 degrees of aiming, and no aim assist because it's competitive multiplayer.

This entire control scheme should be an option for single player. I almost feel like the aiming is this way to avoid some performance issues.

The_Darkest_Red said:
So from now on whenever someone talks about how NeoGAF isn't really that influential can we all be like, "oh yeah well remember that one time..."

Let's not enumerate our chickens just yet.

kneePat

jett said:
Put in a solid two hours into Uncharted 2 today, aiming is definitely smoother and just has a nicer feel to it. It has the same 8 directional control, but moving diagonally is not quite as limiting as it is in UC3, leading to more responsive aiming. I believe the acceleration curve is shorter too. It just plays more like a twitch shooter compared to UC3's heavy feel. If you play UC2 for a good long while after UC3 there's no way you won't feel the difference. "Desperate Times" is a good chapter to do this with.

Also plz add back all the post processing effects that were in UC2. :p

So are you retracting from the previous statements you made, because I've been told by many that I was just imagining this and they quoted you.

Also I guess if you compare UC3 MP shooting to UC2 it's definitely much more similar.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CartridgeBlower said:
This whole episode is another reason why I am finished listening to reviews from gaming websites. So many positive reviews, and none of them mentioned it.

A couple of the negative reviews did, though, and guess what -- while they may have been flamed hard for it at the time, it looks like they were the ones being more honest and thorough with their reviews. Certainly more than the 'glowing' reviews given by the other major sites.

You can say that about any big game really.

RuGalz

Hmm, I played a bit more tonight with sensitivity turned up a little bit. It seems a lot more tolerable than the first big encounter (train area) in the game. I wonder if the underlying framerate is suffering in the first area (but hidden by triple buffering) hence it felt really jawing. Will have to go back to try it with the same sensitivity again later.

Edit: I can still see the diagonals not as easy to get as the two axis but it's doesn't feel as off as before.

JWong

Banned
Mit- said:
Sounds more like he's just okay with 2 dimensional aiming.

And remember, the aiming DOES NOT behave this way in multiplayer. You actually have 360 degrees of aiming, and no aim assist because it's competitive multiplayer.

This entire control scheme should be an option for single player. I almost feel like the aiming is this way to avoid some performance issues.
No, just not seeing this square aiming thing that picture showed. I go diagonal, it goes diagonal.

jett

D-Member
kneePat said:
So are you retracting from the previous statements you made, because I've been told by many that I was just imagining this and they quoted you.

Also I guess if you compare UC3 MP shooting to UC2 it's definitely much more similar.

And I never denied the aiming being different, only that it was been taken out of proportion. But replaying UC2 has made me realize just how different it is, i was definitely having an easier time lining up my shots there...then again enemies are much more stationary in that game. This isn't gonna be an easy thing for ND to solve.

Ricky_R

Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm lost. Doesn't ND have testers of their own? Why recruit free ones off Neo...OHHHHH I see what they did thur!

Those testers probably played the Uncharted 3 Circular Aiming limited edition.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got back from work, really cool to see ND do that. I live in Pennsylvania though. :(

I can further clarify/record anything else incase you need something else over the other video I have atleast.

Mrbob

Ken Masters said:
reviewers are as hyped up for the AAA games as the biggest fanboys for the game are, they refuse to open their eyes to anything negative. Remember, most reviewers pretty much already have a score made up in their mind before playing it, so when they start playing it they are play with the mindset it of it being a "10/10 or 9.5/10" game.

On the flip side, GAF has a history of blowing things way out of proportion. Especially problems.

I'm having the aiming issue too but I'm still digging the game.

If I didn't live in the midwest I'd head over to Naughty Dog!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
tigerin said:
wtf is motion blur? isn't that only in racing games?
Not only in racing games. A lot of other games use it too, Uncharted 2 had it. It's really useful for blending fast moving frames of animation together or fast moving objects. It basically makes things look a lot smoother in motion. It's probably one of my favorite visual effects and it's absent in Uncharted 3, even though it was in earlier footage. It's not a huge loss but it probably would have helped some of the animation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DonMigs85 said:
It's quite prevalent in the Gears of War titles, it was more subtle in UC1 and 2.
In 3 it's almost absent.

It IS absent in 3, but it's apparently supposed to be in it like it was in 2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Papercuts said:
It IS absent in 3, but it's apparently supposed to be in it like it was in 2.
I have a feeling it might have been removed last minute as a part of what was breaking the game on some older PS3s so that they could make that final deadline. They found that huge issue three days before gold date.

DonMigs85

RoboPlato said:
I have a feeling it might have been removed last minute as a part of what was breaking the game on some older PS3s so that they could make that final deadline. They found that huge issue three days before gold date.
Any more info about this issue?

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the re-load button doesn't work for me.Drake will never re-load when I press down on the d-pad.Anyone else find this a problem too?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
flipswitch said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the re-load button doesn't work for me.Drake will never re-load when I press down on the d-pad.Anyone else find this a problem too?
Down on the D-pad was only a shortcut to reload in 1. It's been R2 to reload in all 3 games.

DonMigs85 said:
Any more info about this issue?
I don't remember where the link is but it was something about the streaming and some other effects causing the game to not work at all on older model systems.

jett

D-Member
tigerin said:
wtf is motion blur? isn't that only in racing games?

8280.jpg

dat motion blur

WebScud

AuthenticM said:
Wow, great dedication to your community Naughty Dog. High Five.

I agree! I'm not personally experiencing any issues, but it's pretty cool to see them reach out like this.

Zoibie

RoboPlato said:
Down on the D-pad was only a shortcut to reload in 1. It's been R2 to reload in all 3 games.

That does raise another issue I've run into though. Nothing major, but sometimes pressing R2 won't reload. It'll make some of the reload sounds and animations but it will stop mid way through, like something has interrupted it. I know doing things like picking up ammo will stop the reload but it also happens when in cover in some parts. As I say though, it's only a slight frustration.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zoibie said:
That does raise another issue I've run into though. Nothing major, but sometimes pressing R2 won't reload. It'll make some of the reload sounds and animations but it will stop mid way through, like something has interrupted it. I know doing things like picking up ammo will stop the reload but it also happens when in cover in some parts. As I say though, it's only a slight frustration.
I noticed this too. I think moving between cover cuts it out in 3.

Struct09

The aiming is definitely off in the game. It's not enough to prevent me from enjoying the game, but I really hope they can come up with a solution!

nomis

Can I come and test the object based motion blur patch? I also hope the patch includes a bonus menu section with more sweet making-of videos like UC2.

This is amazing. I have gained much respect for Naughty Dog thanks to this thread. You guys make awesome games! It's too bad I live in Canada... and I also don't have Uncharted 3 yet. Hopefully a patch is up by the time I get the game, because this issue does seem like something that would annoy me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
omnomis said:
Can I come and test the object based motion blur patch? I also hope the patch includes a bonus menu section with more sweet making-of videos like UC2.
There are making of videos in 3. They're unlocked when you beat the game.

Naughty Dog showing how customer service is done. Controls are a bit off but certainly not anywhere near unplayable. I adjusted after a few chapters. Good to hear they're working on a possible fix though.

Thanks Arne. You guys are great for taking the community feedback seriously.

Loved the game! I'll definitely play it again sooner than later if there are some fixes coming.

Anteater

While we're at it, I think Elena's face needs patching too, and I need to talk to Emily Rose about it, lets schedule ND.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Naughty Dog is going to have people come in, sit them down in front of Uncharted 2, and show them there is no difference?

lol

you guys know, you're ruining about 30 peoples week by making them stay overnight at work until it gets fixed...with no overtime! big thank you for that ND

hey naughty dog - do you need an animator!?

That's nice that the aiming issue is getting looked into, and if it gets fixed then that's great. I didn't really have an issue with it, even though I knew there was something off. I just went on with enjoying the game. With that said, the thing that I would like to see fixed is Drake's interaction with walls and stuff. When he would put his hand out and just touched air instead of touching a wall, that irked me a bit.

Heh. Dude[tte]s, every game has a bunch of little issues I'm sure we'd all love fixed. But the game is out... they can't be fixing every random thing now.

The aiming, of course, is not just some random thing. So let's keep our eyes on the prize here.

Top Bottom