• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

Hey guys, is Chrono Trigger running fine in Canoe? Wanted to start a playthrough but I saw some comments about it getting stuck in a black screen.

Yeah it's fine. I had a couple of black screens, but I resynced it and had no problems since.

Palom

Hey, guys, what settings are you using in Snes9x? I want my games on RetroArch to look the same as in Canoe, but I'm not finding the correct settings :/

4:3 goes past the borders, native gets black bars (since the border is set for 4:3).
I was getting some ugly-ass pixel shimmering when using 1:1 PAR (8:7), and noticed it was using some weird 256x239 resolution instead of 256x224.

I had to change the aspect ratio to Custom, and set the resolution to 768x672, and manually set the X/Y offset to get it to display properly. I think 4:3 would be 896x672, with X offset 192, Y offset 24.

You may find it works for you, no sense in not trying... nes games are tiny files. You may be fine with the input lag. But I found Mario bros games I was missing all my jumps from muscle memory, so there's something off for sure.
I'll give it a try, thanks. If it's just apparent in Mario that's no problem since there is Super Mario All-Stars.

But what about the native NES Classic emulator? Can't we add this to our SNES Classic, too (without removing Canoe of course)?

Robin64

I'll give it a try, thanks. If it's just apparent in Mario that's no problem since there is Super Mario All-Stars.

But what about the native NES Classic emulator? Can't we add this to our SNES Classic, too (without removing Canoe of course)?

You can if you have a NES Classic to dump the firmware of.

Edit: Link removed because it links to NES Classic firmware dumps and I'm pretty sure that'd be piracy... But it was on Reddit. (Well done, Reddit mods)

I'm fucking proud of this one...

All the available and rare art assets for Super Famicom Wars in the world are only available from this old 1998 website...

Using those limited low res images and logo, I put this together...

k6OWSuT.png

Here is the snes mini version that is resized correctly...

jzsNaJr.png

And here is how it might look on your mini menu setup...

S1k1Os0.jpg

Legit ;)

Amazing! But, as far as I can tell there is no English language translation for this game, correct?

Solrac

i've tried Castlevania Symphony of the night, the game runs and looks great, but playing this kind of game without music... There is any way to rip these games but keep the music ?

mr. grape

Is there a difference between folders and pages?
Yeah. With the "folder" setting, when you open a folder you have to click on the back icon to go back and access other folders/games. With the "pages" setting you can access all folders even when you're inside a folder. Basically, pages are still folders, but it gives you easier accessibility.

I don't think you can enable pages if you're using the folder manager though, at least from what I can tell

chunk3rvd

Had 8 European only games that I wanted to put on. Applied the patch in the OP to them and half worked but half threw up the "this game is not made for this system" error. The ones that did work seemed like they were running a bit faster than intended? Am I better just leaving them unpatched and using Retroarch for these? I already have the Snes9x core installed anyway.

Also, I know I need to put "--retroarch" on the command line to run within that emulator but what's the significance of this text that appears in most games command lines: "--volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600"? Do I need to add that text if I add some Genesis games or do I just put the "--retroarch" command?
Sorry to bump myself but can anyone help with this? Mainly the issue around EU games. Will retroarch run EU games at regualr speed with no issues or do need to apply the relevant LoRom/HiRom patch first? About to leave work for the day and looking forward to trying this when I get home! Thanks

I'm using an (unmodified) SNES Classic on a PC monitor, and it's pretty clear that the thing is outputting Limited RGB, meaning black is showing as dark gray on my monitor. I don't suppose hakchi could be used to fix this?

Weirdly enough I never noticed the blacks were wrong on my NES Classic.

More discussion here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/comments/7379t5/psa_the_snes_mini_seems_to_output_only_limited/

Nintendo have always used limited RGB up until the Switch.

inner-G

Banned
Would an HDMI to s-video adapter let you play this on a CRT?

As in, do those crop the picture or squish it sideways to (4:3)?

Would be cool if it just cropped out the borders/overscan.

Don’t reallywant to drag out the Trinitron, just curious.

Sorry to bump myself but can anyone help with this? Mainly the issue around EU games. Will retroarch run EU games at regualr speed with no issues or do need to apply the relevant LoRom/HiRom patch first? About to leave work for the day and looking forward to trying this when I get home! Thanks

EU roms can have video hiccups because the emulator isn't really designed for 50hz games. Patching them to 60hz will increase game speed (half the time they played too slow to begin with).

The ones throwing out of region need further patching to remove the ntsc check. Download ucon64 and run the -f flag I believe.

chunk3rvd

EU roms can have video hiccups because the emulator isn't really designed for 50hz games. Patching them to 60hz will increase game speed (half the time they played too slow to begin with).

The ones throwing out of region need further patching to remove the ntsc check. Download ucon64 and run the -f flag I believe.

I figured that would be the case regarding 50/60hz. Just wondering about Retroarch - will that just play stuff at it’s original speed or will that force 60 too due to limitations of the Mini itself? Bit of a specific case question so I know it might not be an easy answer

Psxphile

i've tried Castlevania Symphony of the night, the game runs and looks great, but playing this kind of game without music... There is any way to rip these games but keep the music ?
Rippng a CD to Bin+cue image format will retain the music in the case of redbook tracks. They're also usually pretty large in file size (500+ MBs).
EDIT: (wait, was that really the case? I haven't used CDRWin in years)

I'm using the latest versionof hackchi (I think) and the down+select thing does not work anymore... Weird...
It was changed to L+R+Start+Select for some reason. Go to Controller Hacks in Settings and manually set it back., otherwise there will be conflict with the soft reset every SNES game has.

ReyVGM

The music alone would use up the entirety of the SNES' storage space.

I'm using an (unmodified) SNES Classic on a PC monitor, and it's pretty clear that the thing is outputting Limited RGB, meaning black is showing as dark gray on my monitor. I don't suppose hakchi could be used to fix this?

Weirdly enough I never noticed the blacks were wrong on my NES Classic.

Noticed that myself. Thankfully my TV (a Plasma) has an option to darken the blacks, and now it looks great.

Would an HDMI to s-video adapter let you play this on a CRT?

As in, do those crop the picture or squish it sideways to (4:3)?

It will squish everything to fit into the 4:3 ratio.

Gusy

I installed Retroarch (Loving It) and I need help with a small thing. Retroarch comes with an onscreen overlay that serves as a CRT Filter. I love how the overlay looks but it comes with annoying red side borders. Is there any way to turn off the red borders without turning off the entire overlay? or changing the border's color?

Laser123454321

Neo Member
I'm fucking proud of this one...

All the available and rare art assets for Super Famicom Wars in the world are only available from this old 1998 website...

Using those limited low res images and logo, I put this together...

k6OWSuT.png

Here is the snes mini version that is resized correctly...

jzsNaJr.png

And here is how it might look on your mini menu setup...

S1k1Os0.jpg

Legit ;)

I really wanted to keep all my SNES games with the US style box art and ended up rolling my own and came up with this.

Y9os9In.png

I'm not totaly happy with it, but it would be cool if somebody more talented could do one in the US SNES box style.

pitt_norton

I really wanted to keep all my SNES games with the US style box art and ended up rolling my own and came up with this.

Y9os9In.png

I'm not totaly happy with it, but it would be cool if somebody more talented could do one in the US SNES box style.

I'll give it go! Give me a day, I gotta go to work!

Just got my SNES Classic yesterday and got hakchi immediately. I haven't got the box art and such situated, but did get the games I want on there and it's really awesome. I currently got 50 games on it right now. I had 63 but it gave me the C8 error so I skimmed down for now and then will switch games as I finish them.

vgamer1

I played my SNES Classic on a CRT using an HDMI -> RCA adapter, the TV itself had a 16:9 mode that shrunk the picture to fit on the display. Looked pretty good in 4:3 mode on the mini if you ignore the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Just got my SNES Classic yesterday and got hakchi immediately. I haven't got the box art and such situated, but did get the games I want on there and it's really awesome. I currently got 50 games on it right now. I had 63 but it gave me the C8 error so I skimmed down for now and then will switch games as I finish them.

You can't have more than 62 games on a page. If you keep the page size to 60 you can hold more games on the classic.

The Dark One

but to me, it seems like there is now lag in the NES games. Genesis & FBA games play fine to me

When you say FBA, do you mean Final Burn Alpha or it's a typo of GBA? Because if FB works fine, putting the D&D arcades on this thing may be the one thing that makes me break the "SNES only" rule...

pitt_norton

I'll give it go! Give me a day, I gotta go to work!

Well... that turned into "Give me an hour" and I'm now late for work haha Priorities damnit!

Super Famicom Wars USA styled cover.... use if desired!

nm9CycW.png

SNES mini version for TV...

TJcLqQ4.png

I was toying with an adding English to the logo.. but it looked shit. That's a whole different ballgame for someone else!

zweifuss

When you say FBA, do you mean Final Burn Alpha or it's a typo of GBA? Because if FB works fine, putting the D&D arcades on this thing may be the one thing that makes me break the "SNES only" rule...

Yes final burn alpha. And it works beautifully. Playing street fighter games with a snes pad is surreal.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was getting some ugly-ass pixel shimmering when using 1:1 PAR (8:7), and noticed it was using some weird 256x239 resolution instead of 256x224.

I had to change the aspect ratio to Custom, and set the resolution to 768x672, and manually set the X/Y offset to get it to display properly. I think 4:3 would be 896x672, with X offset 192, Y offset 24.

Thanks! That did the trick, although I had to set the X offset to 182 ;)

Laser123454321

Neo Member
Well... that turned into "Give me an hour" and I'm now late for work haha Priorities damnit!

Super Famicom Wars USA styled cover.... use if desired!

nm9CycW.png

SNES mini version for TV...

TJcLqQ4.png

I was toying with an adding English to the logo.. but it looked shit. That's a whole different ballgame for someone else!

Wow that looks awesome!

Yeah I only have gimp to work with and spent so much time doing the stroke and skew on the english text, I never stopped to consider how shitty the art I chose was.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
mN3Sbgb.png
Gq4ugik.png
lqiDVQJ.png
IEMMGjz.png

RABlRHe.png
jfypgLs.png
xFEU4UL.png
BhJ1Kfh.png

Completely random mix of games featured in the Super Play article I mentioned the other day and games I've seen posted a handful of times in this thread.

While a simple design, rather happy with the way the Wrecking Crew '98 box came out.

You'd think the Lion King would have been easy to put together, but it was surprisingly hard to find a nice scan of the box featuring the English title.

EDIT: Oh yeah, guess I should post the link again: https://imgur.com/a/3nEtu

CLEEK

Quick question: My SNESC is modded with 2.0.20.14 and the handful of extra games I've put on there are the ones that will stay on it forever, and all work perfectly. I don't plan on changing the line up.

In my case, is there any benefit to upgrading to a later version of Hakchi2?

Quick question: My SNESC is modded with 2.0.20.14 and the handful of extra games I've put on there are the ones that will stay on it forever, and all work perfectly. I don't plan on changing the line up.

Only if it introduces or fixes something big. So not right now.

pitt_norton

Wow that looks awesome!

Yeah I only have gimp to work with and spent so much time doing the stroke and skew on the english text, I never stopped to consider how shitty the art I chose was.

Mate.. its a barren landscape for getting any usable asset for this game. I only just remembered that Nintendo Japan had archived their old game webpages, so I crossed my fingers hoping there would be something to salvage... and it was just barely! Luckily I understood alittle html script to extract those images of the soldier art!

While a simple design, rather happy with the way the Wrecking Crew '98 box came out.

Turned out very nice!

You'd think the Lion King would have been easy to put together, but it was surprisingly hard to find a nice scan of the box featuring the English title.

Finding usable assets is a bitch!!! Haha Great job, love the gallery!

_Malus_

Neo Member

Isn‘t this the very first version? As far as I know, there was a bug in the first version, that would let your snes mini consume more power than it needed so it would run very hot.

You can check details about bugfixes in the commmits section of each version: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/compare/2.20...stable

Thanks to this thread, I'm finally able to play this.
Sparkster_North_American_SNES_box_art.jpg

Thanks! Looking through this for more recommendations.

I don't suppose anyone can create a border from the game's promo art?

CLEEK

Isn‘t this the very first version? As far as I know, there was a bug in the first version, that would let your snes mini consume more power than it needed so it would run very hot.

2.0.20.14 (the one I'm on) is the release that fixed the power consumption issue.

Laser123454321

Neo Member
Mate.. its a barren landscape for getting any usable asset for this game. I only just remembered that Nintendo Japan had archived their old game webpages, so I crossed my fingers hoping there would be something to salvage... and it was just barely! Luckily I understood alittle html script to extract those images of the soldier art!

Turned out very nice!

Finding usable assets is a bitch!!! Haha Great job, love the gallery!

So I was bored at work and was able to make this with some 3D software:

mbgskhf.png

Do you think it would work on the box art you made? (you might have to clean it up though)

mr. grape

Later versions, I think starting with 2.21 implented linking for the original games instead of copying over.. so you save like 80mb when you update hakchi. Definitely worth updating if you want the extra space (which IMO is the biggest problem with adding lots of roms: the free space).

If you don't plan on adding anymore games, then there may be no reason to update, but if you're using lots of savestates that will eventually consume a lot of space

is there a way to launch the original games in retroarch from the console. I don't want to do the comandline thing but want to use cheats on them (the harder platformers)

ReyVGM

is there a way to launch the original games in retroarch from the console. I don't want to do the comandline thing but want to use cheats on them (the harder platformers)

You can access the retroarch menu by pressing Select+Start, but I don't know if you can add cheats through there.

Top Bottom