• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony was to greenlight Bloodborne 2 without From, which studio would you prefer?

Nev

Banned
Well Dark Souls 2 was the first (and luckily only) official Souls game without From and we know how that ended.

I wouldn't necessarily be against a Souls game with a different developer if only for the curiosity of what their take will lead to but BB2 isn't the game to try it. Expectations would be absolutely impossible to meet.

SirNinja

Simply unbelievable how many people here didn't even read the first sentence of the OP...smh.

"Nobody" is a lousy opinion anyway; there are plenty of studios who could nail it. SIE Japan would do just fine. Team Ninja as well (though they're probably working on Nioh II right now). Just off the top of my head.

pablito

Honestly I don't know. What team has the FROM trifecta of melee combat, level design, and coming up with fucked up shit?

Whatever team has the best ratio of those things.

Ocirus

A brand new in-house team created to develop the game. Not necessarily a team that would only-and-forever make Bloodborne games (such as 343 and Halo) but just a team that is brought together to, at first, develop a Bloodborne sequel. Then, if it's successful, the team could either continue with another entry or delve into something new.

Team Ninja. Nioh's combat shits on From's combat. They would have to change balance though so you couldn't become OP so quickly though.

Griss

Genuinely can't think of anyone who'd do it justice, but since I have to say someone given the terms of the OP, I'd say SIE Japan.

I would never choose not having a game at all than having it and not reaching my expectations

This is like... the exact opposite of everything I believe in, lol

I'd much rather never have a game than waste my time and money on one that didn't meet my expectations, and have my previous memories of good games in the series affected. Bloodborne doesn't need a sequel.

Well Dark Souls 2 was the first (and luckily only) official Souls game without From and we know how that ended.

I wouldn't necessarily be against a Souls game with a different developer if only for the curiosity of what their take will lead to but BB2 isn't the game to try it. Expectations would be absolutely impossible to meet.

It was developed by Fromsoftware

and the game is awesome too.

Nice try.

I'd say for Bloodborne 2 to be successful without from Software they should give it to someone who understands the core of its gameplay. I'd say Level 5 would be the best option.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

I came to say the thing you said not to say..

God damn, I'm thinking, but even the best studios around, the idea of Bloodborne 2 being done by anyone else... No.. No no noooooooo!

The only way it could be somewhat acceptable is if they take it in an entirely different direction. So I don't know. Bloodborne in the vein of Resident Evil Remake. More indoor areas, less fanciful fighting, slow paced, focus on the creepy factor, and you don't play as a hunter, but someone far less capable, like a professor or a clergy person.

Yeah. Whoever the exact group of people that brought us REmake were.

Cathcart

Nintendo. Sersiously id pay money to play a Nintendo Bloodborne sequel.

Pass on Team Ninja. Nioh has some slick combat but they’re out of their depth when it comes to world and creature design and lore. There’s a lot more to Souls games than a combat system and a death mechanic and Nioh—while it did have almost four unique enemy types and as many as six different textures—just isn’t in the same league.

Osukaa

Nintendo. Sersiously id pay money to play a Nintendo Bloodborne sequel.

Pass on Team Ninja. Nioh has some slick combat but they’re out of their depth when it comes to world and creature design and lore. There’s a lot more to Souls games than a combat system and a death mechanic and Nioh—while it did have almost four unique enemy types and as many as six different textures—just isn’t in the same league.

Nintendo Becoming 3rd Party developer confirmed!!

lol but anyway I'd love for KojiPro to take a stab at it with whatever other resources (teams) that Sony would allow to assist them with making it.

Second choice would probably be Capcom.

No team other than Ninja even close to having the talent required for this kind of game. Nioh was awesome (better combat than any Souls game tbh) but it was still distinctly different so I don't know. Bloodborne was crazy.

Edit: Platinum maybe? Their games are different but the talent is there I think.

UH no... this game and the souls series in general are a series that I feel needs to be Miyazaki or bust. I dont trust it in any other developer's hands. Period.

Either Gearbox or Telltale.
qKSn2LB.gif

jviggy43

Jesus christ no to ND. Their gameplay is horrible. I almost quit the last of us because of the gameplay. Their specialty is telling stories; thats never been an emphasis in souls/borne.

Just have From do it. Everyone in the world wants another BB except for people who just assume it wouldn't be good, for whatever reason.

Memento

You can't tell people what to think as the premise of the thread. That's dumb as hell.

Wat.

It is not a dumb premise at all. Try following it:

Bloodborne is owned by Sony. From Software developed it. From Software is third party. The scenario here is that From Software is not interested anymore in working on another company's IP, which is perfectly plausible. Bloodborne was a sucess and people want more. Without From, Sony either let the IP die or approach another developer to make a sequel/another game in the universe. Thread is made to see which developer people think would best give it justice, in case of the second scenario happening. So we can actually have a discussion I state that people that would rather not have the sequel to keep that for themselves.

Deck 13 would be a good choice, they did a really good job with The Surge and shown that they understand those type of games but realistically I'd like to see a new studio with a lot of interest in Souls style games give their take on it.

Aters

Wat.

It is not a dumb premise at all. Try following it:

Bloodborne is owned by Sony. From Software developed it. From Software is third party. The scenario here is that From Software is not interested anymore in working on another company's IP, which is perfectly plausible. Bloodborne was a sucess and people want more. Without From, Sony either let the IP die or approach another developer to make a sequel/another game in the universe. Thread is made to see which developer people think would best give it justice, in case of the second scenario happening. So we can actually have a discussion I state that people that would rather not have the sequel to keep that for themselves.

Take a look at Code Vein. That's Bandai Namco's Souls without From. You sure you want that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Take a look at Code Vein. That's Bandai Namco's Souls without From. You sure you want that?

So the choices are a new game that might end up being good or nothing at all? If it sucks who cares?

The game you're talking about isn't even out yet dunno why you feel the need to dismiss it.

I'm mean if Miyazaki didn't want to work on another Bloodborne then yeah no one should make one but if he was ok with it and just didn't have the time and neither did From, then without a doubt Japan Studio should be the only ones allowed to touch the game.

Cathcart

Just have From do it. Everyone in the world wants another BB except for people who just assume it wouldn't be good, for whatever reason.
Yeah pass. I’m sure they’d make a good game out of BB2 but From is at their best when they are doing something new. Demons, Dark and BB are their best efforts. I’m much more interested in seeing what they come up with next than wasting them to crank out sequels.

Also BB with DLC is a complete story. There’s no need for a sequel and nothing new to learn there.

Dargor

Naughty Dog. I bet it would be even better than anything From could ever make and I say that as someone who has extreme respect for From.

I just trust Naughty Dog to handle anything at this point.

Bamboo

If Nintendo were to green light Mario without Nintendo......
Eh, Nintendo sometimes gives their biggest franchises to different developers with great results. See the Capcom Zelda games (Minish Cap, Oracle of Ages/Seasons) or lately Mario + Rabbits. Most of the time, the best things that happen are totally unexpected. If you don't try, you can't be positively surprised. Who would've though a blend of Mario, Rabbits and XCOM can work this great. From should just go ahead and work on a new IP.
Would be kind of interesting to turn Bloodborne into a rotation of completely different game styles in the same universe.
I love tonally different sequels. Games should do that more often. Change the genre while you're at it, too. Give it to the United Game Artists people of the Sonic Team. I want a psychodelic Bloodborne rhythm game.

Opa-Pa

I did my hardest to not post this myself lol.

Naughty Dog. I bet it would be even better than anything From could ever make and I say that as someone who has extreme respect for From.

I just trust Naughty Dog to handle anything at this point.

Yeah, if there's a studio out there that specializes at non intrusive storytelling, great synergy between game mechanics and narrative, and focus on gameplay above everything else it's ND. A match made in heaven.

jviggy43

Yeah pass. I’m sure they’d make a good game out of BB2 but From is at their best when they are doing something new. Demons, Dark and BB are their best efforts. I’m much more interested in seeing what they come up with next than wasting them to crank out sequels.

Also BB with DLC is a complete story. There’s no need for a sequel and nothing new to learn there.

There is plenty that could be done with a sequel (or even prequel) to the story. Hell it could take place in an entire new location with a whole new story. Its so strange that people keep assuming that a sequel couldn't be original in quality.

And thats not even considering how much more can be done with the mechanics of the game either. There are vast amounts of potential in this universe; a universe that is still incredibly unique to that of all other games right now. The gothic victorian era is woefully under utilized.

And dammit now I want to go play BB.

Drek

An internal Sony team including the staff from Demons Souls, Bloodborne, and a few pickoffs from Team Ninja, the Dragon's Dogma and MonHun teams within Capcom, and From.

Probably be a really good game.

Top Bottom