• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

Peltz

Click to enlarge
10686864_10100872876695010_1669513320818556976_n.jpg

1012913_10100872878825740_2230705711120636927_n.jpg

10734250_10100872876675050_5598116253265119539_n.jpg

10698715_10100872875542320_6571214447742390130_n.jpg

10431575_10100872875522360_2292273908037763857_n.jpg
Sonic 2 on a Genesis Model 1 with RGB out to my 14" Panasonic Studio RGB Monitor. I got in pretty close in on that last picture :)

5taquitos

I wish I had something to contribute, this thread is making me hot.

Subbed, keep them coming! I'm going to have to read through the RGB thread.

dodgeme

I've got a bunch here for you guys. Nothing too special as I haven't played deep into a lot of these yet except the SHMUPS, but these should give you an idea of the quality of RGB on original Genesis/Sega CD hardware. These pictures were taken on a Olympus OEV 143 RGB monitor which is a rebranded Sony PVM. Be warned there's a lot of these coming up. Also some aren't the greatest picture but oh well.

Plus I couldn't avoid this thread after how fun the CRT thread has been.

Sega CD System
hpQ8oa8.jpg

RssOeS4.jpg

Lunar: The Silver Star
K8uP8ES.jpg

Tq9XiQJ.jpg

Iedm5oZ.jpg

Popful Mail
8E8tJQC.jpg

X9d7KQ6.jpg

Android Assualt
SncBA9S.jpg

UdDnqik.jpg

Lords of Thunder
Kqnplj2.jpg

hGW6nUL.jpg

Elemental Master
BCHS9P7.jpg

r4Ap9gV.jpg

Ghouls and Ghosts
LnDjbRu.jpg

V8NEGYx.jpg

UnDeadLine
koxaMFD.jpg

aHsjDWX.jpg

V8COD24.jpg

Streets of Rage 2
W3JDcLr.jpg

4wBWW7l.jpg

sCcLKsI.jpg

Crusader of Centy - Easily the best looking in RGB of the bunch in my opinion
Y7pArOF.jpg

t2VwbHk.jpg

bpftIGz.jpg

MUSHA
K52uoDu.jpg

52iFLz0.jpg

gelf

This thread contains the magic that every new indie pixel art game is missing.

Agreed. This is why though I enjoy playing some of them I cannot get fully on board with the pixel art they utilize. They just don't look as good without a proper CRT display or at least an attempt to emulate that look. I'd love to be able to apply retroarch shaders to them all though (someone please tell me that's possible).

The scanline-loving crowd never recognize just how beautiful the pixel structure makes amazing scanlines on the 3DS. So lovely.

D4334109-0050-4F8D-BAE5-86CD08D3D912_zpskyuvd2no.jpg

I've noticed this when playing NES VC games on 3DS XL. Is that the new LL or the regular new model? Is that how the screen is making it look or does that glorious port of a game that's never going to come to the US have an option for scanlines?

robot

I agree with you for the most part, but one game off the top of my head that absolutely nails it is Shovel Knight. Especially the 3DS version.

Windam

Scaley member
My eyes! You people are monsters.

If it ain't 1080p60fps I won't play it, much less even look at it.

Yes Boss!

I've noticed this when playing NES VC games on 3DS XL. Is that the new LL or the regular new model? Is that how the screen is making it look or does that glorious port of a game that's never going to come to the US have an option for scanlines?

Nah, nothing with the M2 work...they don't have any scanline options. If anything as you shift through the range of 3D you start getting some abberations. NES games look just as good (as long as you go one-to-one pixel). I just happened to be playing FZII tonight. It is the smaller N3DS...a nice return to form and smaller screen they started with the 2DS. Smaller 3DS systems have better image than the larger models, I've always felt. OG model is tops. I love the low-res screen on the 3DS, way more preferable to something like the Vita

jbueno

Now this is my kind of thread. Here are some of the pics I´ve taken for my Instagram account which is mostly dedicated to these shots LOL. In no particular order. I´ll try to make new ones for this thread as soon as I´m done with a stupid test.

Shots taken on my Sony WEGA CRT SDTV.

Super Mario Bros. NES via Wii VC, Component.
WQAEpvO.jpg

Punch-Out!! NES via Wii VC, Component.
swtC6qB.jpg

SJmKKDP.jpg

Ninja Gaiden. NES via Wii VC, Component.
afogjZY.jpg

Donkey Kong Country. SNES via Wii VC, Component.
gQmxw30.jpg

Super Adventure Island. SNES via Wii VC, Component.
vt045m9.jpg

Pocky & Rocky 2. SNES S-Video out.
G82kQ2h.jpg

GS Mikami. SFC S-Video out.
XWug2Ah.jpg

Streets of Rage 2. Genesis via Wii VC, Component.
REUcihT.jpg

pxcEEnL.jpg

Shinobi 3. Genesis via Wii VC, Component.
L0lABZb.jpg

Castlevania Rondo of Blood. PCE via Wii VC, Component.
mzD5n8G.jpg

S8J54j3.jpg

Raiden Project. PS1 S-Video out.
2QiD4iN.jpg

Castlevania SOTN (NTSC-J). PS1 S-Video out.
0d1WOeC.jpg

LoyIz3S.jpg

Salamander 2. PS1 S-Video out.
8jdXFy3.jpg

Final Fantasy IX. PS1 S-Video out.
Kby3X3p.jpg

Garou Mark of the Wolves. PS2 Component out, 240 patch applied.
D8J3KVv.jpg

Street Fighter III Third Strike. Dreamcast S-Video out, 240p out.
31aauZx.jpg

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
TuiVEom.jpg

6WyjNJT.jpg

Fatal Fury. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
ydBBlh6.jpg

Fatal Fury 3. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
vGJwK5Q.jpg

Baseball Stars 2. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
RG0dte1.jpg

480p 31 kHz scanlines need some love too, you know. Some shots on my Sony CRT 21´ VGA monitor.

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu. Xbox360 through VGA out.
ztzg011.jpg

Espgaluda II. Xbox360 through VGA out.
4Fjq7Kc.jpg

For everyone commenting on how newer games' pixel art fails to have the magic of the old stuff, I think that beyond the pure artistry involved, it's about the lack of texture that scanlines help to provide with those low resolution images. Just turn off scanlines with any emulator or upscaler and the quality of that work is greatly diminished or, at least, very different, because those graphic artists and animators relied upon the scanlines and phosphor glow on their own workstation CRT monitors to be the very canvas they created all of their art in mind with. Take those scanlines away, and the dimensions of their intended art are altered and put that on a fixed panel display, and you're losing the near-infinite spatial resolution that CRT provided with that glossy movement no current fixed panel can replicate until they have much higher pixel density than is available now on the average gaming display. I love the newest attempts at recreating the old look, but the uniformity of scanline width due to the lack of proper phosphor glow simulation to approximate the CRT effect still loses the real thing that any CRT does with ease. As well, the hues apparent to the naked eye are greater when you're looking at those dithered patterns used in those low color-depth images from a decent distance, helped by that luminosity of that phosphor glow for brighter colors creating those intermediate shades by effectively thinning the scanlines above and below them. Maybe one day in the next decade, but for now CRT is just not perfectly replicated on modern display tech.

jbueno said:
And damn! at that phosphor glow from that SoR2 pic you took, jbueno.

Timu

Wow...this thread delivers, so many awesome pics, I can't wait to post mine once I get a scanline generator.

dodgeme

Haven't seen a ton of Saturn love in here yet either so here I am to deliver. Again these are all taken on a 14" Olympus OEV 143 which is a Sony PVM clone. The scanlines show up a lot better in these then my first set. If some are blurry thats an ill effect of me trying to do this with one hand trying to make the games do something with the other.

Akumajo Dracula X
0S5r6dx.jpg

dvKDRaV.jpg

iK9xSHy.jpg

Dodonpachi - Not in tate mode, didn't feel like flipping the monitor at the time.
gSzG5SL.jpg

8jcbcFH.jpg

qSuRuLJ.jpg

JrZ7y9D.jpg

OpAn6lN.jpg

Gunbird
Z7wk1Ce.jpg

y8gvWeq.jpg

bWf7KCh.jpg

Layer Section
O1PeRMY.jpg

1a1ZK3t.jpg

nXkEQLE.jpg

Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
aN6g0Oz.jpg

dDmGkdy.jpg

RJEiUlz.jpg

B1YEiUY.jpg

rXbLxrP.jpg

wKkK2HK.jpg

Bonus Shot:
Took this of Megaman X5 on my PS2 through component on this monitor as well. Really liked the way the scanlines showed in this shot.

wxepL6d.jpg

dodgeme

OMG! Best thread ever!!!!

Would like to request more full screenshots of 2D fighting games please.

Ask and you shall receive. Didn't see this with my last post. Heres two more I have for my Saturn. Again on my Olympus OEV 143 through RGB.

Vampire Savior
A8FcCx5.jpg

FA5WdyF.jpg

rbaUo1g.jpg

Ck3r6bV.jpg

glcepHW.jpg

zCJ8sZF.jpg

mSYVs7a.jpg

cGHb9ik.jpg

xkRNAe9.jpg

qKRm8nl.jpg

The King of Fighters 95

BCuziYM.jpg

hIG0jOK.jpg

h8PP5Ks.jpg

QvAqsgg.jpg

Sorry I'm a bit of a Morrigan and Darkstalkers fan.

I've get plenty more games if anyone has any interesting requests. That's about it for my Saturn stuff right now. I do have a bunch of Genesis stuff if anyone is after anything specific. I may take a few SNES shots too.

jbueno

Some other shots I had on my HDD. Promise I´ll take more soon.

Mega Man ?. NES via Wii VC, component. This one transcends scanlines, look into the pixels.
0tgefMp.jpg

Super Metroid. SNES, S-Video.
UuVkxMu.jpg

EolPhzd.jpg

Street Fighter II Turbo. SNES, S-video.
aT92RIp.jpg

Fatal Fury Special. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
dQlVWmn.jpg

qpDA1VA.jpg

Samurai Shodown II. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
iFj0PEb.jpg

King of Fighters ´98. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
1o7Qe5T.jpg

QRI88b7.jpg

kHtkRPD.jpg

The Last Blade 2. NeoGeo via Wii VC, Component.
dyEWU9k.jpg

Castlevania SOTN. PS1, S-Video.
ra8G2zg.jpg

Garou Mark of the Wolves. PS2, Component, 240p patch applied.
MC5CDoi.jpg

Peagles

Some of my favs, I'll wrap them in quotes so click to enlarge.

All snaps taken on a (pretty crap sorry) camera off screen via RGB on a Sony PVM 14L2.

Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64

Sega Mega Drive - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist

Super Nintendo Entertainment System - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Sega Saturn - Guardian Heroes

Nintendo Entertainment System - Super Mario Bros.

Sega Mega Drive - Eat up Martha

Gameboy Advance via Gamecube Gameboy Player - 240p forced with Swiss

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Pokemon Crystal

Metal Slug Advance

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does the genesis emulator on the sega collection on steam have a scanline option? im not home to check

I miss scanlines :(

XanaviF30

Your wish is my command!

Top two are from Art of Fighting 2 and the others are from KOF 98 both running on an Omega CMVS through an xrbg and on a panny plasma.

Ah, just what I needed. Thank you sir.

Ask and you shall receive. Didn't see this with my last post. Heres two more I have for my Saturn. Again on my Olympus OEV 143 through RGB.

I've get plenty more games if anyone has any interesting requests. That's about it for my Saturn stuff right now. I do have a bunch of Genesis stuff if anyone is after anything specific. I may take a few SNES shots too.

Holy crap! I love the Darkstalkers series. Thank you for delivering!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nah, nothing with the M2 work...they don't have any scanline options. If anything as you shift through the range of 3D you start getting some abberations. NES games look just as good (as long as you go one-to-one pixel). I just happened to be playing FZII tonight. It is the smaller N3DS...a nice return to form and smaller screen they started with the 2DS. Smaller 3DS systems have better image than the larger models, I've always felt. OG model is tops. I love the low-res screen on the 3DS, way more preferable to something like the Vita
I would love the lower resolution if the system were focused primarily on 2D games but, for 3D, it's too low.

I prefer the DSi XL in that sense as there are more 2D games on the platform that just look amazing on that thing. Of course, it wasn't even a full 240p so conversions and emulation wouldn't work well but for native DS games it was great.

Peltz

More:

1378786_10100873116868700_6437905945439396417_n.jpg

1385210_10100873116888660_190858568615453042_n.jpg

1939822_10100873116878680_933893334773843409_n.jpg

1901807_10100873116873690_2689983858630742887_n.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Melee, 480p Component out GCN to D-Terminal Framemeister, 720p mode with forced scanlines on a 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

I don't care if 480p images aren't "supposed" to have scanlines. They make games look amazing when upscaled because the jags go away.
(Come at me GAF).
I really wish I had a capture card because these off-screen iphone shots just don't do it justice:

10557271_10100873116469500_5804937632188498000_n.jpg

10365846_10100873116479480_3469887861927477994_n.jpg

10557271_10100873116469500_5804937632188498000_n.jpg

10676155_10100873116619200_3897644959798300661_n.jpg

F-Zero GX on same setup as SSBM (above).[/QUOTE]

Dolphin, eat your heart out.

gelf

does the genesis emulator on the sega collection on steam have a scanline option? im not home to check

I miss scanlines :(

I don't think it did last I checked. Just do what I did, buy the games on Steam and then just download the roms and play them on an emulator that lets you do what you want. I know legally it doesn't work like that but in my view Sega still got my money and I got to play them how I want without the guilt of feeling like a filthy pirate.

Yes Boss!

I would love the lower resolution if the system were focused primarily on 2D games but, for 3D, it's too low.

I prefer the DSi XL in that sense as there are more 2D games on the platform that just look amazing on that thing. Of course, it wasn't even a full 240p so conversions and emulation wouldn't work well but for native DS games it was great.

I'm with you on this. General consensus is that the DSi XL is the single best oversall DS system. Probably my favorite as well.

That said, I've got many 3DS systems ans tend to use different systems for different things. One of my 2DS systems is solely a Sega 3D Classics machine, only in 2D. My daily 3DS XL is the one with all my content...2D and 3D. I like to try to set up different systems with different setups...an RGB PCE on the framemeister but also another on a PVM.

Tain

I love this thread.

pswii60 said:

Scanlines play a role in that, but talent/cash play a bigger one.

Emulators can make fake scanlines right?

Is anyone able to show an image with and without scanlines? I'm not sure I understand the appeal of them apart from nostalgia.

I was actually wondering recently why there wasn't a screenshot thread for older stuff...I guess this will do! Subscribed! I'll try and post some stuff later.

Great thread, long time coming.

Can someone post more pics of the retroarch GameBoy DMG filter, it looks exactly how I remember playing those games under good light.

Peltz

Emulators can make fake scanlines right?

Is anyone able to show an image with and without scanlines? I'm not sure I understand the appeal of them apart from nostalgia.

It makes the pixels/polygons look less blocky and pixelated on the edges. Diagonal lines of old school games weren't designed to look like blocky "staircases". But without scanlines, that's what they look like.

Properly applied scanlines are intended to fill in the gaps between rows of pixels to "complete" the image of 240p games. Notice how the shiny spot and soft shadowing on the blue ball in the very top row of comparison shots below looks a whole lot more natural on the right picture, and a whole lot blockier/ugly in the left picture. The lack of scanlines ruins the artwork in my opinion. And many others share this opinion.

framemeister_saturn.jpg

framemeister_pgmmvs.jpg

These are from Fudoh's website. They are not from emulators, but rather PGM and NeoGeo MVS Games on the Framemeister.

framemeister_ps1.jpg

These are Playstation Games on the Framemeister.

framemeister_16bit.jpg

Super Famicom, Mega Drive & PC Engine Games on the Framemeister

Again, all of these are from Fudoh's website, and they help illustrate how much magic is missing when the scanlines aren't there.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

P.S. The biggest difference that scanlines make are on games with prerendered backgrounds like DKC on SNES and Squaresoft RPGs on PS1. Ever notice that they look like garbage on modern HD displays? Scanlines are essential to get the proper intended effect of those images.

Dat Real Bout - lookin good!

Wall of screens comin' atcha! Will dig up more pics from my Instagram and contribute later!

Console games on original hardware via Framemeister
In order: Batman (MD), Pulseman (MD), Thunder Force 3 (MD), Streets of Rage 2 (MD), Thunderforce 3 (MD)

Original Arcade PCBs running on a New Astro City
SFA 3 (CPS2), MSHvsSF (CPS2), MvC (CPS2), Strider 2 (ZN2), SF: EX+A (ZN2), G.I Joe (Konami PCB)

Oh shit, thank you for reminding me of Thunderforce III. I remember I used to play it as a little kid on my uncle's Genesis but couldn't remember the name. I even recall looking at Thunderforce IV pics and going "nope, thats not the one". But the ending pictures sparked my memory. Thanks!

All screenshots taken from Saturn + original RGB cable + Framemeister mini + LG 27" IPS

Super Tempo
xrgb_2.jpg

Real Bout Fatal Fury
KOF_scan.jpg

Lunar Silver Star Story
lunar_border.jpg

Top Bottom