• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Arttemis

They should definitely fix their shit if they're going to charge this much for anything. I'm glad I got this on sale.

Does anyone else encounter disconnects upon loading the game, but after a minute, you can connect?

Animator

Even though level doesn't matter, the higher levels have an advantage of experience on the layouts of the maps.

Just run a thunt to get used to the maps then. You don't have to go into ranked the second you hit 25. Also until you do your placements you will match up against all kinds of skill levels. Once you get your rank it matches you to whatever it is.

nOoblet16

Even though level doesn't matter, the higher levels have an advantage of experience on the layouts of the maps.

Just run a thunt to get used to the maps then. You don't have to go into ranked the second you hit 25. Also until you do your placements you will match up against all kinds of skill levels. Once you get your rank it matches you to whatever it is.

Yea THunt is good for learning map layout but that takes like no time at all comparatively. One still needs to learn about what are the best ways to actually traverse a map, use cams/abilities and from personal experience I've found out that playing alone doesn't really help that much which is where I believe the real game is.

I've personally found that the best way to learn that is to play in a full squad or atleast as many people as possible with people who know the game/are better than me and learn from them, their comments, their replays. Rather than reading stuff online or even watching gameplay cause by playing with them I receive direct input about a situation I am facing currently while in the heat of the moment.

I played on PC first until level 20 or so when game came out, then played with other GAFers on PS4 cause I could find full groups on it and improved so much. Then when they stopped playing I bought it on Xbox One a year after launch and started playing with Platinum and Diamond ranked players and I could see myself improved 10 folds and it was amazing hah !

Fury451

Banned
Can someone knowledgeable explain why this game has such persistent connectivity issues? Is it just the PS4 version more than others?

It's absurd at this point. I might as well bring a good book to read anytime I try to play.

Can someone knowledgeable explain why this game has such persistent connectivity issues? Is it just the PS4 version more than others?

It's absurd at this point. I might as well bring a good book to read anytime I try to play.

Read the "How to be a great Developer" book by the Ubisoft devs. It's a riot.

Miggytronz

So yeah i still cant play with my buddy in the UK. The hell.
LLShC.gif

andycapps

Think it's mostly PS4, but I don't know that we could say why. It seems to be server load. I'm assuming they have separate sets of servers for each platform. As far as why they can't get enough servers set up to handle the amount of users online, maybe that's controlled by Ubisoft the publisher and the developer hasn't been able to get them to allocate more servers quickly enough to keep pace with the amount of active players. The real answer would have to come from Ubi Montreal.

I did see this from them on Reddit.

The team has been working through the weekend on the current server stability issue. I don't have any details about it at the moment, but it was **absolutely** our **highest** priority at the moment.

And a follow-up

We will update you with as much information as possible, as often as we can.

I understand that it seems as if we have been "ignoring" the issue, but we haven't. We are working on getting it under control.

NHale

I really think S2 should get you the S1 Operators as well now. I've said it before but the game is balanced around these operators now and enticing players in to the game where they're being sold extra DLC that doesn't give them the whole game anymore is kinda sucky.

Exactly. I understand they need to make the season pass worth it but since they dropped the price of S1 pass, they should reduce the price of renown of S1 operators as well. You can still win without any S1 operator of course, but right now after the patch Hibana is much better than Thermite, Valkyrie can still be a big advantage in some maps etc.

It doesn't make sense to release free trials to entice new players to the game and then "say" to them: here you go, want to have everything pay us $20 for S1 operators or get 200k renown. Absurd imho. At the same time I'm sure the big majority of Season pass 1 owners wouldn't mind that they made it easier to unlock them with renown, since the season pass price has dropped as well. I seriously think that 10K renown would be a good compromise.

Afro

LTTP. Thinking about buying this. A few questions. If I started playing today would I have a good time? Is it only fun w/ friends or are randoms okay? How toxic is this community compared to, say, Overwatch? Is there some type of training/bot mode? Is the PC population still decent? Thanks.

nOoblet16

So apparently sprinting to reload cancel like COD is a thing in Rainbow Six Siege and it's something that's only now seems to be getting noticed after a year !

Auctopus

LTTP. Thinking about buying this. A few questions. If I started playing today would I have a good time? Is it only fun w/ friends or are randoms okay? How toxic is this community compared to, say, Overwatch? Is there some type of training/bot mode? Is the PC population still decent? Thanks.

1. No. Hold off from buying until the servers are in working order.
2. Solo queuing is fine and far less frustrating than Overwatch. However, as a new player, prepare to be frustrated by experienced players outplaying you - that's just gonna be the reality.
3. You'll hear different things. I'm on PS4 and the last time I was TK'd was about 2-3 months ago but there's some people (especially on PC) that suffer from much more toxic behaviour (nowhere near as bad as Overwatch).
4. There is a single player mode called Situations that guides you throw the vanilla maps and operators and explains the basic mechanics of the game and the gadgets. You could also describe Casual Terrorists Hunt as a type of Training Mode.
5. The population across the board is higher than its ever been.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
1. No. Hold off from buying until the servers are in working order.
2. Solo queuing is fine and far less frustrating than Overwatch. However, as a new player, prepare to be frustrated by experienced players outplaying you - that's just gonna be the reality.
3. You'll hear different things. I'm on PS4 and the last time I was TK'd was about 2-3 months ago but there's some people (especially on PC) that suffer from much more toxic behaviour (nowhere near as bad as Overwatch).
4. There is a single player mode called Situations that guides you throw the vanilla maps and operators and explains the basic mechanics of the game and the gadgets. You could also describe Casual Terrorists Hunt as a type of Training Mode.
5. The population across the board is higher than its ever been.

3 is the opposite - community is far better on PC than console.

you best play with friends though

SliChillax

Yeah I've never had any server problems on PC, been playing for like 2 months now. I also like the community so far, less angry kids and more mature players.

Gator86

Exactly. I understand they need to make the season pass worth it but since they dropped the price of S1 pass, they should reduce the price of renown of S1 operators as well. You can still win without any S1 operator of course, but right now after the patch Hibana is much better than Thermite, Valkyrie can still be a big advantage in some maps etc.

It doesn't make sense to release free trials to entice new players to the game and then "say" to them: here you go, want to have everything pay us $20 for S1 operators or get 200k renown. Absurd imho. At the same time I'm sure the big majority of Season pass 1 owners wouldn't mind that they made it easier to unlock them with renown, since the season pass price has dropped as well. I seriously think that 10K renown would be a good compromise.

I'm hoping they do this. Just picked up the game and I'm basically locked out of the S1 operators unless I pay. It would probably be into March before I have enough cash to even pick up one of them. I'm guessing getting new players to pick up the game then forcing them to shell out more cash on those operators is one of their bigger money-makers though.

nOoblet16

In my experience I've noticed more matchmaking issues on PS4 than Xbox One BUT I have also noticed more rubber banding on Xbox One.

I think it all depends on the server's you play on, the connection of people you are playing with (if they have strict NAT then they will more likely lose connection leading to further issues finding game)

andycapps

Servers are essentially fine on PC other than the typical UPlay issues that we always get. Those will probably never change since it's just typical UPlay nonsense. Issues like adding someone and then not seeing them on your friends list until you restart UPlay, not being able to get everyone in the same party until you try different combos of each person starting it, etc. There were some issues yesterday with the initial login that I had for about 10 minutes until it let me in and then I was fine.

Community is so so. I don't think it's that bad on PC, lot of new people right now so if you're going to jump in, now is a good time. But you will have people yell at you sometimes if you're not doing something perfectly or don't do whatever it is they want. Can mute them or just ignore if you like. Text chat is probably the most toxic thing and can get pretty bad. Can turn that off if it really bothers you.

No training modes but there are offline situations that teach very basic mechanics. Terrorist Hunt may help familiarize you with the maps and mechanics some more, but just digging into MP is where you'll really start learning.

PC population is steadily increasing and highest now that it's ever been.

Servers are essentially fine on PC other than the typical UPlay issues that we always get. Those will probably never change since it's just typical UPlay nonsense. Issues like adding someone and then not seeing them on your friends list until you restart UPlay, not being able to get everyone in the same party until you try different combos of each person starting it, etc. There were some issues yesterday with the initial login that I had for about 10 minutes until it let me in and then I was fine.

Community is so so. I don't think it's that bad on PC, lot of new people right now so if you're going to jump in, now is a good time. But you will have people yell at you sometimes if you're not doing something perfectly or don't do whatever it is they want. Can mute them or just ignore if you like. Text chat is probably the most toxic thing and can get pretty bad. Can turn that off if it really bothers you.

No training modes but there are offline situations that teach very basic mechanics. Terrorist Hunt may help familiarize you with the maps and mechanics some more, but just digging into MP is where you'll really start learning.

PC population is steadily increasing and highest now that it's ever been.

PC Community overall is still better/less toxic, but it is getting more toxic I've noticed due to the game's increasing popularity. I pray it never reaches OW levels of toxicity, which is downright nuclear.

nOoblet16

PC Community overall is still better/less toxic, but it is getting more toxic I've noticed due to the game's increasing popularity. I pray it never reaches OW levels of toxicity, which is downright nuclear.

I don't see how a community with ingame text chat can be less toxic than a community with no text chat tbh. If it all comes down to team kills and quitters then that's anecdotal. Majority of GAFers play this game on PS4 from what I understand so we do have immediate access to a good community.

Then again majority of my Siege experience has been while playing in a full group.

What are the player numbers like on each platform btw?

andycapps

Yeah it is. Most of the toxicity that I've noticed is from lower level players.

I don't see how a community with ingame text chat can be less toxic than a community with no text chat tbh. If it all comes down to team kills and quitters then that's anecdotal. Majority of GAFers play this game on PS4 from what I understand so we do have immediate access to a good community.

Then again majority of my Siege experience has been while playing in a full group.

Most of the people on the GAF PC Discord server don't post here, honestly. Maybe a couple. Most just post on the Discord server or are too busy playing to post about it.

Teamkillers is definitely one piece of whether something is toxic, but voice chat and text chat also play into it. I don't think we've ever been given numbers on each platform. Only numbers I know on PC are the Steam numbers and a large portion of PC players wouldn't have bought it through Steam. But you can at least track that portion and see that that user base is increasing substantially every month.

Yeah it is. Most of the toxicity that I've noticed is from lower level players.

Most of the people on the GAF PC Discord server don't post here, honestly. Maybe a couple. Most just post on the Discord server or are too busy playing to post about it.

Teamkillers is definitely one piece of whether something is toxic, but voice chat and text chat also play into it. I don't think we've ever been given numbers on each platform. Only numbers I know on PC are the Steam numbers and a large portion of PC players wouldn't have bought it through Steam. But you can at least track that portion and see that that user base is increasing substantially every month.

Yeah, it is anecdotal, but I feel confident in saying console is more toxic solely because of the TKing.

Even on PC, you get the occasional salty player, and the occasional SUPER ragey player like I encountered the other night, but honestly in general, I'm shocked every time I play at the lack of just ragey assholes.

nOoblet16

Yeah, it is anecdotal, but I feel confident in saying console is more toxic solely because of the TKing.

Even on PC, you get the occasional salty player, and the occasional SUPER ragey player like I encountered the other night, but honestly in general, I'm shocked every time I play at the lack of just ragey assholes.

Well I mostly play with friends and at times I play alone and it's been a good 2 months since I last encountered an intentional TK on my side. On enemy side I don't know if it's TK or just them trying to hit drones and stuff.

nahlakhai

There needs to be better reporting of players for non-cheating like issues, ie. griefing, chat or voice harassment/spam.

As someone who is hovering around Plat on OW and Plat on R6, the toxicity has gotten slightly better as I've come up the rankings. But unlike OW, R6 has team-killing, which is a whole extra level of possible griefing.

Im out of town so I missed the update. But Lord have mercy, it seems all the hype and goodwill has been killed off by the bugs and server problems.

Its unreal how buggy the updates are (the new operators sound like they were never tested)

And it's fucking awful hat Ubisoft has a fantastic game but shits the bed with the servers because they are cheap fuckfaces.

Because of the For Honor beta, plus whatever else they have running, poor Siege suffers along with it.

I love Ubi for greenlighting this game and pushing through the obstacles to support it with Year 2 content. Honestly, it feels like this game had lots of red flags and would have been cancelled if handled by other publishers.

I dont think they expected the game to be so successful.

But I hate Ubisoft for being cheap as fuck and clipping this games wings when its ready to fly off.

nOoblet16

Maybe this is a dumb question but how exactly do you use jackals scan ability? What button prompt is it? (XB1)
You look at the footprints and hold X. It'll tell you which operator it is and the footprints themselves are different colour for different operators.

His passive ability to see footprints have changed the game so much because you don't really have to drone before entering a room as much and you can play much more aggressively. It also helps that he has a very very good primary.

His scan itself does tell you the approximate location of an enemy 3 times every 10-15 seconds but it works more as a mechanic that makes the enemy anxious leading to them making mistakes rather than helping you find out where exactly the enemy is.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
You look at the footprints and hold X. It'll tell you which operator it is and the footprints themselves are different colour for different operators.

That's not how it works - the color represents how fresh the tracks are. More recent tracks are warm, while older tracks are cooler colors. The tracks last up to 90 seconds before disappearing completely.

Top Bottom