• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Vio-Lence

Banned
boring answers, but I can pick up and play any of the first 7 maiden albums, the first 5 black sabbath records, death leprosy through human. after that i become more selective and album oriented. can always pick up and enjoy Unleashed in the East, Eternal Nightmare, Beneath the Remains, IV Crusade, Left Hand Path, etc.

Manzepi

Neo Member
So guys, who are your "it" bands? The bands you can listen to no matter what, where you like just about every song they do, where you can listen to them no matter what mood your in, and you never get bored of them.

For me its gotta be Manowar and Metallica.
The Melvins

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Johnny Cash.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And mayyybe Sabbath

So guys, who are your "it" bands? The bands you can listen to no matter what, where you like just about every song they do, where you can listen to them no matter what mood your in, and you never get bored of them.

Shoot, that's a tough question. I've always found my John Coltrane albums being these type of albums, as well as some Hip-Hop albums I own. As for Metal, I'm finding Iron Maiden to be one of these bands, specifically their five album run. I guess it's hard to say, but these are safe choices.

Shoot, that's a tough question. I've always found my John Coltrane albums being these type of albums, as well as some Hip-Hop albums I own. As for Metal, I'm finding Iron Maiden to be one of these bands, specifically their five album run. I guess it's hard to say, but these are safe choices.

You misspelled seven.
I would have added Entombed if they would have retired after Clandestine.

You misspelled seven.
I would have added Entombed if they would have retired after Clandestine.

I can't get into early Maiden material with Paul. Some of my favorite stuff from Maiden are on those two albums, but those two albums have never really done much for me, personally.

Am I saying they are bad? Not at all. I'm just saying that my personal preference may be a be different compared to other Maiden listeners.

blahness

Neurosis, YOB, Autopsy

EPICA, Eluveitie and (you probably gonna kill me for this) new-ish In Flames

Came across news, that the majestic DEAD CONGREGATION are to release their second album in May. That information compelled me to listen to them after a while and....huh, wow. So damn good. The guitar tone and songwriting on this album are flawless. Hail the hellenic overlords!

Dead Congregation - Teeth Into Red

nice to see fans of this band. Absolutely at the highest tier of modern death metal.

Order from Chaos. I can't really explain it. Even if I actually feel like I don't want to listen to them, if I just go ahead and pick something random by them I'll be hooked. For me, everything about this band is perfect, and that goes beyond the music.

32573734.jpg

Prepare For Attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHJlRldQEY

Order from Chaos. I can't really explain it. Even if I actually feel like I don't want to listen to them, if I just go ahead and pick something random by them I'll be hooked. For me, everything about this band is perfect, and that goes beyond the music.

Aren't you the guy with all the Order From Chaos/Revenge/Conqueror/Axis of Advance stuff?

Jealous of all that stuff.

Aren't you the guy with all the Order From Chaos/Revenge/Conqueror/Axis of Advance stuff?

Jealous of all that stuff.

yes that would be me lol. A few years ago I really toned down my overall metal expenditures, but I also used that time to focus on building up my collection for Order from Chaos and filling up a few holes in related bands' discogs. Just when I thought I had it all, I got three of what are arguably my most prized pieces in succession. One of which:

20140108_155703_zps22a3887d.jpg

that is a test pressing for Plateau of Invincibility. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This practically fell into my lap, too. The guy who sold it to me turned out to live like 10 miles away from where I work, and he himself works at the local USPS like a mile from there. We met up instead of going the shipping route. We were talking for a good while and it turned out he's buddies with Helmkamp. The flyer pictured is an original taken from inside a book that Helmkamp had given to him. I guess he was using them as bookmarks lol. I feel extremely lucky to have an item like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znBkzBk1lKE

YouTube doesn't have the original version which is much heavier, but still godlike.

SOME-MIST

this is way late (many many pages) but
I highly recommend checking out out #3 album from the poll we did.

Sleep - Dopesmoker

If you like stoner metal, sludge and hour long epics....this is up your alley.

Check out Wolves In The Throne Room, you might dig them.
in addition to WITTR, Krallice is a pretty awesome progressive black metal band with members Colin Martson (gorguts, behold... the arctopus, indricothere, dysrhythmia) and Mick Barr (Orthrelm, The Flying Luttenbachers, and many number Zach Hill projects).

kinda crazy how they went from extreme tech to black metal, but I love it.

also, new animals as leaders is pretty good and much better than weightless, but it doesn't top the recent Exivious- Liminal for me.

Pantera for me metal wise.

ShaneB

time for the best Blind Guardian clone, Savage Circus!! only heard the first album but damn even the singer sounds like Hansi. highest of recommendations.

Savage Circus is a funny story, if only because Thomen left Blind Guardian to start the band, and then was eventually kicked out. Dreamland Manor is an awesome album indeed, and I remember being very excited for the future of the band when it came out, but "Of Doom and Death" is pretty terrible in comparison. Jens (vocalist) other band 'Persuader' is pretty solid too.

First song with Arch Enemy's new singer is up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRMwptcgAo

The positive: They still sound like themselves - heavy, deathy and melodicy.
The Negative: She doesnt sound as evil as Angela... (she doesnt look as evil as well :p )
Pf81wSL.png

Will check this out shortly! edit: I like it, but it does feel like stuff I'll forget about and never really listen to a whole lot. Perhaps I'm just tired of em.

"The majority of our fantasy influence, though, comes from the crazy fucking role-playing video games that I used to play as a kid, like The Legend of Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, and The Elder Scrolls. I would sit in front of a screen for days, weeks, months, literally years, worshipping these games and playing them over and over. I was quite the little nerd. "

Will have to check this out.

I guess for metal it's probably Iron Maiden or Blind Guardian. a 3rd band that covers just about every genre would be Queen.

friday

Things I have been into recently

Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uhS-aRR-o

Aosoth - IV: An Arrow in Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye1X5QBUGVc

High on Fire

Yea man, ever since someone posted Cult of Fire not too long again in the old thread, I immediately bought both albums digitally. My 2nd digital music purchase ever. Waiting for more physical releases to be in stock.

Aosoth - IV: An Arrow in Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye1X5QBUGVc

I've listened to both of them due to GAF, Cult of Fire via the old Metal OT and Aosoth via the Album of the Year voting thread. Aosoth was quite a surprise, it took some time to get into but now I'd call it one of my favourite from 2013. Powerful, ritualistic black metal, sounding a bit similar like Deathspell Omega. Recommended if you're into black metal, its pretty cheap on bandcamp.
I've given Cult of Fire a couple of listens, but it couldnt grab me. Dunno why.

This is the power of the internet.

Some game developer thought Nothing - Guilty of Everything was the best album of the year so far. So I checked it out on Amazon. Then saw a recommendation for Conan - Blood Eagle, which had three 5-star reviews. Liverpool, oh that's cool. Doom metal? Sure, I've started getting into that. And so, here I am. Really impressed!

61ONs%2B-6jkL.jpg

I must not be alone in when seeing a pretty album cover, wants to get the physical version instead.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
This is the power of the internet.

Some game developer thought Nothing - Guilty of Everything was the best album of the year so far. So I checked it out on Amazon. Then saw a recommendation for Conan - Blood Eagle, which had three 5-star reviews. Liverpool, oh that's cool. Doom metal? Sure, I've started getting into that. And so, here I am. Really impressed!

61ONs%2B-6jkL.jpg

I must not be alone in when seeing a pretty album cover, wants to get the physical version instead.
Conan are like one of my favourite doom bands, and I didn't even know there was supposed to be a new album out this year until release date. The town where their new label is located is like an one hour drive away from me, so I had it the next day I ordered.
And it's great, probably the heaviest in recent doom you can get right now
until the new Bongripper is out

And yeah, I'm like that too. I buy vinyl and CDs, but it only takes nice artwork and I go for vinyl for sure.

Conan are like one of my favourite doom bands, and I didn't even know there was supposed to be a new album out this year until release date. The town where their new label is located is like an one hour drive away from me, so I had it the next day I ordered.
And it's great, probably the heaviest in recent doom you can get right now
until the new Bongripper is out

And yeah, I'm like that too. I buy vinyl and CDs, but it only takes nice artwork and I go for vinyl for sure.

Niiiiiiice avatar :D

Kaladin

Rocksmith 2014 is the best thing you can buy if you're a guitar player on a budget. I haven't really even started playing with the actual game because I have been messing around with the tone editor. It has pre-sets for all of the real world tones for all of the songs in the game, and it gives you the components used to create these tones, and it lets you mess around with the set-up and create your own sound. That alone is worth the $50 I paid for the game....it has turned my PS3 into my regular amp. It helps that I have a great sound system though, I wouldn't plug it into shitty speakers and expect it to be awesome. I'm playing with all kinds of tones though, they have everything here. They have Slayer, Pantera and Iron Maiden in the base track list, so that is some good metal to work with right there.....and the list of components is deep.

Order From Chaos fans should check out Ares Kingdom. The guitarist (who wrote most of the music and lyrics for OFC) and the drummer from Order From Chaos started the band shortly after Order From Chaos broke up. They're recording their third album this year.

Both previous full-lengths can be streamed on Nuclear War Now's bandcamp page.
Return to Dust
Incendiary

If you just want to listen to one song Ironclad from their first album is my favorite of theirs.

Enosh

I see the new arch enemy video in my sub box, think cool lets check it out
after watching it a bit I'm like "wait wtf that isn't Angela what the fuck is going on"

apparently she left this month and was replaced by the Agonist girl, had no idea
stealth edit: well fuck my life apparently former of agonist, what the fuck is going on

edit2: also best thread tittle ever, good job whoever came up with it ^^

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Heads up So. Cal.

It has been several years since we had the big Scion thingy.

http://www.scionav.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rock-fest-2014-lineup-662x1024.jpg[IMG]

Half of the acts announced. rsvps soon

[url]http://www.scionav.com/2014/03/18/scion-rock-fest-red-fang-crowbar/[url]

I have a strong suspicion Orchid is playing.[/QUOTE]
Would go there for Power Trip and Windhand alone. If you missed it, the Power Trip album last year was [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOx0HPos2Y"]fucking awesome 80s style thrash[/URL], beaten only by the (more modern sounding) [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-f0gAk568"]Oozing Wound[/URL] album. Remember when Municipal Waste was good? :(
[quote="Mr. Sandman, post: 105368951"][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6xCf9Iivk"]The Oath - All Must Die[/URL]

Good shit right there. Always refreshing to see a female fronted band that isn't cheesy (I'm looking at you Huntress).[/QUOTE]
I just remembered [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjySAis2jSs"]Das Oath[/URL] for the first time in years.
But this is nice, too.

Order From Chaos fans should check out Ares Kingdom. The guitarist (who wrote most of the music and lyrics for OFC) and the drummer from Order From Chaos started the band shortly after Order From Chaos broke up. They're recording their third album this year.

Both previous full-lengths can be streamed on Nuclear War Now's bandcamp page.
Return to Dust
Incendiary

If you just want to listen to one song Ironclad from their first album is my favorite of theirs.

Fucking awesome. Love the modern/dirty production of keeping it old school.

Stumbled upon an old school sounding death/thrash band called Nekromantheon.
Something in the vein of old Kreator, Hypnosia, old Dark Angel, etc.

Top Bottom