• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
AniHawk said:
That looks fucking incredible. I don't doubt Ancel could pull that off in real-time gameplay, because it's Michel Ancel. You people need to have some faith.

One thing I hope for is that we get some colors. Not digging the setting so far.

Ancel is a good designer and all, but hes not the Lead engineer is he?

I mean, "pulling that off" is what every designer ever asks for, credit should go to HIS TEAM for pulling off his vision, cause those are the people down in the trenches.

I think you agree with me and that youre just generalizing for the sake of the argument, but lets not all go apeshit and give one guy credit for everything ever, its bad enough with Miyamoto and Kojima as it is :p

Looks amazing btw, really excited, looking forward to more creative and imaginative environments.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if this takes place on one of the other planets that the DomZ had taken over. Pey'j mentioned in the first game how Jade's parents gave her to him so that they could escape. I've always thought that Hillys was a planet that everyone escaped to because of the perceived protection of the Alpha Sections which is why there were so many different races on it. This could simply be a section on a human planet.

I actually like the change in art style, as long as there are some nice natural environments and some other races with the same amount of personality and color as the first game. I've always thought that the story and content were a bit too dark for the art style. Not that I dislike the way the first looks, I adore it but I always thought that the Alpha Sections looked too much like Buzz Lightyear or something to be taken seriously. This keeps a lot of the original's style and charm while being a bit more fitting for the storyline.

RoboPlato said:
I actually like the change in art style, as long as there are some nice natural environments and some other races with the same amount of personality and color as the first game. I've always thought that the story and content were a bit too dark for the art style. Not that I dislike the way the first looks, I adore it but I always thought that the Alpha Sections looked too much like Buzz Lightyear or something to be taken seriously. This keeps a lot of the original's style and charm while being a bit more fitting for the storyline.

I disagree with this. Maybe it's because of the stories and comics I grew up with, but I've always enjoyed a good blend of serious content and less than grounded characters and environments.

Looks great, whatever it is.

The first game, Okami and Wind Waker are the only last-gen games I always meant to get round to playing but didn't, will definitely pick up BG&E1 soon... ish.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Linkzg said:
it could always be a qte

:lol Yeah, miss the button press and you smash into the cow?:p

People said the original video was CG, and it wasn't, btw.

And the engine is not Anvil. It's called LyN.

Red

Ad Infinitum said:
The first game, Okami and Wind Waker are the only last-gen games I always meant to get round to playing but didn't, will definitely pick up BG&E1 soon... ish.
You missed three of the best games from the last ten years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sega1991 said:
Animation takes memory, just like textures and models. The more and smoother animation you have, the more memory is required for that animation.

Nah not really true anymore.

Animations today equal: small bits of animations, blended together in an infinite number of possibilities by a system that relies on AI and physics. So when a character realistically collides with a wall, it is not ONE animation, it is the product of a pre-made animation, affected by physics an AI, which causes the character to reposition his limbs, head, etc., realistically while seeking to keep his balance.

The tech is there, the extent to which is used remains to be seen. But it's there. What's "extremely difficult" is making the player do what he wants to do accordingly (hit the right guy at the right time, etc.). THAT is another issue altogether. Very nice animations like in the video? The tech is there.

Probably part of the game's intro or some such, but do expect it to play somewhat similarly as a result.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This looked damn good and reminded me I need to get around to playing the first game soon.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I keep rewatching the video to see if it's really so obvious that these are fake made-for-trailer animations. I'm not so sure anymore.

- 0:15 Check the way she interacts with the cow. Something seems a bit off about her "collision" with it, almost as if it looks like an AI engine is interacting with it.
- 0:18 The way she pulls herself onto the ledge looks too quick for something somebody might do by hand.
- 0:19 Notice that the same animation is done each time she jumps from the ledge. Her right arm always lags back in the same manner.
- 0:26 She "collides" with the table. Her animation looks very similar to her collision with the cow.
- 0:28 She hits the wall twice. Her animation for colliding into the wall is the same both times.

The more I watch it the more I see little imperfections, the kind typical of video games. I think the thing that could be throwing everything off is the camera, it looks a little too dynamic to be real-time.

billy.sea

Banned
Snaku said:
Thanks for reminding me.

2wltr8p.gif
2wltr8p.gif
2wltr8p.gif

To be fair, Rabbids Go Home look very awesome too. Don't just write it off thinking it's another minigame. Look at the teaser and be excited. I am longing for a humorous adventure game.

Wiggum2007

Robobandit said:
You folks whining that it looks nothing like BG&E should read this -

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/michel-ancel-on-going-beyond-good--evil/?biz=1

The first game was made that way because of technical limitations of the consoles at the time. For BG&G 2, they are trying to live up to their original vision for the game because they feel that the ps3 and the 360 have enough power to realize the world they originally envisioned.

And some people prefer the look/art style of the version of BG&E we got, regardless of what the original vision was.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ZealousD said:
Okay, I keep rewatching the video to see if it's really so obvious that these are fake made-for-trailer animations. I'm not so sure anymore.

- 0:15 Check the way she interacts with the cow. Something seems a bit off about her "collision" with it, almost as if it looks like an AI engine is interacting with it.
- 0:18 The way she pulls herself onto the ledge looks too quick for something somebody might do by hand.
- 0:19 Notice that the same animation is done each time she jumps from the ledge. Her right arm always lags back in the same manner.
- 0:26 She "collides" with the table. Her animation looks very similar to her collision with the cow.
- 0:28 She hits the wall twice. Her animation for colliding into the wall is the same both times.

The more I watch it the more I see little imperfections, the kind typical of video games. I think the thing that could be throwing everything off is the camera, it looks a little too dynamic to be real-time.

Also, when she knocks down the police officers, you can tell that her head appears to be "targeted" to look at something (probably the dead bodies), a lot like we do in games where we can setup "points of attraction" for the character to automatically look at (dead bodies, ricochets on walls, gameplay ingredients like ledges and such, etc.).

But in the end, the "re-used animations" in no way imply this wasn't a scripted sequence. If it is a target footage (real-time but pre-scripted), there's no reason why they wouldn't re-use the animations and end up with a more game-like feel.

Knowing Ubisoft, they usually don't want target renders for internal purposes if it doesn't look very close to what the final game will be like, at least in how it plays. They don't make them for nothing.

EDIT: Also, nothing says the original game was set on Earth now was it? This time, it may be, among other planets.

KevinCow

Banned
Wow. That was awesome. Like the rooftop chase in the first, except more dynamic.

I've been replaying BG&E lately, and I'd forgotten two things about it:

1) How awesome it is, and
2) How ridiculously short it is. It pretty much only has five major "dungeons," including the intro dungeon. Imagine if Ocarina of Time had ended at the Fire Temple. Even doing everything in the game to beat it 100% will only add like a few mini-dungeons and a couple extra hours.

I hope they remember the first part and fix the second part.

MMaRsu said:
Haha he's not talking about musical leaks ;)

Check OT brother :D

Haha I saw that Cassie chick's snooter early in the day but I didn't know she was a musician. Just someone P. Diddy laid his pipe on, but didn't see/hear about the Rihanna stuff until after I posted that.

But I'm glad I could provide everyone with a laugh. :lol

GamerSoul

KevinCow said:
Wow. That was awesome. Like the rooftop chase in the first, except more dynamic.

That's what it reminded me of. But there was even more creative and split second routes that you have to take. It looks great.

I hope everyone who said 'could only be teh PC version' FUCKING DIES!

The only system announcement said PS3/360.

Not only that, but only a tricked out PC would run it at the max settings, while the majority will run it at lower quality than the console versions(well, 360 anyway).

The PC elite fanboys on this site make me fucking sick. I saw some guy get banned for hoping a PC game came to the 360(or maybe XBLA).

The annoying PC shit needs to fucking stop. FUCK OFF!

The trailer looks amazing and I hope it really is BG&E2 related.

AniHawk

Raging Spaniard said:
Ancel is a good designer and all, but hes not the Lead engineer is he?

I mean, "pulling that off" is what every designer ever asks for, credit should go to HIS TEAM for pulling off his vision, cause those are the people down in the trenches.

I think you agree with me and that youre just generalizing for the sake of the argument, but lets not all go apeshit and give one guy credit for everything ever, its bad enough with Miyamoto and Kojima as it is :p

Looks amazing btw, really excited, looking forward to more creative and imaginative environments.

Well yeah, I do mean his team. They did mention that they've been spending all this time trying to get an engine that works, and that the gameplay would be very cinematic.

Zilch

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:

Not only that, but only a tricked out PC would run it at the max settings, while the majority will run it at lower quality than the console versions(well, 360 anyway).

The PC elite fanboys on this site make me fucking sick. I saw some guy get banned for hoping a PC game came to the 360(or maybe XBLA).

u mad?

Hunahan

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:

Holy shit.

Roid rage.

Ether_Snake said:
:lol Yeah, miss the button press and you smash into the cow?:p

People said the original video was CG, and it wasn't, btw.

And the engine is not Anvil. It's called LyN.

Yep, the same engine running Rabbids Go Home.
It seems to be very flexible.

HurricaneJesus said:

So PC only, then?

HurricaneJesus said:

Meltdown confirmed
computer_meltdown2.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
On one hand, the video reminds me of those running sequences in the original BG&E, but on the other hand.... it looks too good to be true D:!

Can't wait for E3 :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HurricaneJesus
Bitter. So very bitter.
(Today, 07:32 AM)
Reply | Quote

jett

D-Member
HurricaneJesus said:

So how is it that I'm running Dead Space, Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge with everything maxxed out, at 60fps, on a low-budget gpu?

You keep believing that shit though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't forget King Kong guys.

Ancel and his team had a vision of emphasis on total immersion, no huds, etc. Wouldn't be surprising if this was again the emphasis here. Believability.

HurricaneJesus said:

I heard they develop games on PCs.

If that's how the game view behaves, then I think that is the first truly 'next-gen' use of a camera in a game. Fast, communicates the frantic pace well, adjusts focus on interesting things the player character reacts to, and seems perfectly usable and clear about the environment. The world seems super interestingly populated, too. I loved BG&E 1...bring it.

Zeliard

jett said:
So how is it that I'm running Dead Space, Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge with everything maxxed out, at 60fps, on a low-budget gpu?

You keep believing that shit though.

It's a tricked out low-budget gpu.

Watched it a few more times. I've decided I think this is the proof of concept video (as others have speculated) that Ancel showed Guillemot in order to get the game greenlit last year.

HurricaneJesus said:

A PC killed his dog

GDGF

Soothsayer
Schrade said:
Uh, being Killzoned is a good thing. Just look at...you know...Killzone 2.

:lol You know what I mean. If it does turn oot to be true (and I hope it does because I need another reason to buy a 360) I'll be a happy GDGF.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Don't forget King Kong guys.

Ancel and his team had a vision of emphasis on total immersion, no huds, etc. Wouldn't be surprising if this was again the emphasis here. Believability.
For sure, for sure. King Kong was an awesome game... until the ending, not that that would have anything to do with Beyond Good and Evil.....2!

Looks more like proof of concept than in-game footage but hey, I'm just excited to see anything on this game. I think this and Brutal Legend are my two most highly anticipated games at E3.

watkinzez

Darkpen said:
For sure, for sure. King Kong was an awesome game... until the ending, not that that would have anything to do with Beyond Good and Evil.....2!

King Kong's last level was pretty lame... that said, I don't know how you could make a good game out of that scene. Play as the gunners?

Top Bottom