• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Back in the land of the living... and I see the weather has been doing well. I might do the same this coming long weekend. Just get out for a nice ride around. The Monster is looking good. Is all the bits sorted out and behaving?

Yep, she's running sweet. Still making weird noises but that's just Italian design. I'm happy as hell with the bike. Mrs Dougald is at London comic con this weekend so I'll be getting out on the road I suspect

I took a lunch break and rode up to the river in Henley. Nothing like an hour on a bike to clear away the stress of a major application rollout at work

Yep, she's running sweet. Still making weird noises but that's just Italian design. I'm happy as hell with the bike. Mrs Dougald is at London comic con this weekend so I'll be getting out on the road I suspect

I took a lunch break and rode up to the river in Henley. Nothing like an hour on a bike to clear away the stress of a major application rollout at work

oh yes that is a nice way to clear the head. Its such a great day here.

Dougald

You are just deceiving yourself :p

Mechanic said it sounds normal, which probably means he couldn't be arsed, but hey. You don't need to convince me of reliability after the tank slid halfway off and scraped off a bunch of the paint (at least Ducati replaced it)

I'm really coming around to the idea of replacing it with an r1200rs next year though. Bit more practical, bit less of my legs catching fire at the traffic lights due to form over function design

Talking of BMW, got a £500 major service next week on ours. Should be it for 24000 miles though as I do the oil changes etc myself. The wife wants to keep that boxer until it dies

OraleeWey

Guys, I need help! Please someone call my dealer and tell them I got lost, tremendously lost! Tell them I won't be able to get back until... Closing !

eCzQmKX.jpg

Anyone here SacramentoGAF?

Where the hell can I test ride a Kawasaki Versys and an FJ-09? Been to all the dealers around here and they basically want me to buy the thing before I am able to ride it. That aint happening!

Dougald

So managed to get back! Yay! But then I got lost again? WTH?? How do I manage to get lost two times in the same day?? I can't even.

So which did you prefer? The Ducati has more grunt but the GS has that fun engine

Another evening ride. May/June are the best months of the year here.

OraleeWey

Say, that's a nice bike.

Yeah, very nice indeed! So I test rode the 1200GSA and the Ducati Multistrada. Overall I liked the Multistrada more. Mainly because the GSA was uncomfortable to me. Heck, I find my KLR650 more comfortable than the GSA. The kickstand on the GSA also gets in the way of the shift lever. Both are nice bikes though. The GSA had clutch-less up/down shifting. I did't really like it much though. Not as smooth as using the clutch. They both had cruise control though, which was really nice! During my ride, I unlocked an achievement too. Get the wave from a cop! Also, I haven't forgotten about the Buell. I'll test ride it when I can and if possible, because the dealer might not even let me. The dealer I just went to was closer and literally the opposite cardinal direction from where the Buell is located. But I am excited to test ride it as well. I'll do so as soon as I can. This might sound backwards but, riding both the GSA and Multistrada makes me realize I don't need need either bikes tbh. I am perfectly fine with the KLR. It's just so much more simpler, much easier. I feel more "at home". I've complained in the past that the KLR650 is slow. Well, sure it's not a fast bike, but it can get going. It's not as slow as I made it out to be. I mean, two months in and I was already wanting a sports bike, that was me just being ignorant. I am able to cruise just fine at 70/75 mph just fine, which is about 125kmph. Though, the extra power, adjustable suspension on the go (GSA), ABS, TCS, etc are all nice. All I really need is a larger windscreen, for sure. Bonus, Here is Lilly greeting me as I arrived home.

Anyone here SacramentoGAF?

Where the hell can I test ride a Kawasaki Versys and an FJ-09? Been to all the dealers around here and they basically want me to buy the thing before I am able to ride it. That aint happening!

For some reason, dealers don't allow Japanase bikes-test rides. Not unless it's a demo day. I got really lucky that I was even able to test ride a Tenere and an FZ-09. I think the employee I spoke with was new to the job so once she said, "yes", they couln't take it back. When I spoke to a different employee, he said, "we don't just give out test rides". BMW and Ducatis', they'll most likely have a test ride. I don't live in CA, but my advice is, going to the dealer and asking someone for a possible test ride might yield more luck than giving them a call.

Y
For some reason, dealers don't allow Japanase bikes-test rides. Not unless it's a demo day. I got really lucky that I was even able to test ride a Tenere and an FZ-09. I think the employee I spoke with was new to the job so once she said, "yes", they couln't take it back. When I spoke to a different employee, he said, "we don't just give out test rides". BMW and Ducatis', they'll most likely have a test ride. I don't live in CA, but my advice is, going to the dealer and asking someone for a possible test ride might yield more luck than giving them a call.

I was in person every time I got rejected. But yeah, the local Ducati/BMW dealer has test rides every weekend.

OraleeWey

So which did you prefer? The Ducati has more grunt but the GS has that fun engine

Another evening ride. May/June are the best months of the year here.

I preferred the Multistrada. I was typing as you replied, I think.

Is that good? I never pay attention to prices, just fill up :p

That's $1.62 USD. From pounds to USD. That's hella good. I'd drive there just to fill up or bring a few barrels.

OraleeWey

I need to get myself a go on a multistrada. Unfortunately my local dealer is a bit weird about test rides

That's litres, not gallons :(

Ooh, I see. My bad. Sucks about your dealer, but definitely try it out. It was quite a lovely bike with grunt, like you said.

Stevey

This is in South Leverton, It's every other Wednesday, it started as a "classic bike" night, but all sorts of bikes turn up now, which is great.

Anyone else have issues finding good fitment between SIDI and Alpinestars race boots?

Have a pair of Astars SMX Plus size Euro 45, which just feel huge on me. Just got 2 pairs of SIDI Vortices, one Euro 44, which is way too tight all around, and one which is Euro 45 which feels good around toes, but is a bit narrow. Probably going to keep the SIDI 45, sending back the 44.

I have not yet tried Astars Euro 44. I really want to keep the SMX Plus since they are the white/red/yellow and are sexy as all hell, and I can't find them in size 44.

Also, anyone have the SIDI Mag-1's?

Gritesh

This is in South Leverton, It's every other Wednesday, it started as a "classic bike" night, but all sorts of bikes turn up now, which is great.

This looks right up my alley.

Where I live everyone on sport bikes hates classics or cruisers and vice versa and there is this stupid cross over where people form different riding groups and shit on each other etc...

I hate how around here people equate owning a bike with thinking they are badass and part of a gang or something.

I should move.

Anyone else have issues finding good fitment between SIDI and Alpinestars race boots?

Have a pair of Astars SMX Plus size Euro 45, which just feel huge on me. Just got 2 pairs of SIDI Vortices, one Euro 44, which is way too tight all around, and one which is Euro 45 which feels good around toes, but is a bit narrow. Probably going to keep the SIDI 45, sending back the 44.

I have not yet tried Astars Euro 44. I really want to keep the SMX Plus since they are the white/red/yellow and are sexy as all hell, and I can't find them in size 44.

Also, anyone have the SIDI Mag-1's?

Euro boots I have heard have this problem, are you from NA? You will likely break in the boots a bit too, so it sounds like SIDI might work for you.

Euro boots I have heard have this problem, are you from NA? You will likely break in the boots a bit too, so it sounds like SIDI might work for you.

Yep, I'm in NA. I figured, but the thing that confuses me is that my last pair of Astars SMX Plus boots were Euro 45 and fit fine, bought them in 2011 and wore them for about 4 years.

I do like the SIDI boots, and am deciding whether to pull the trigger on the MAG-1s also.

Speaking of boots, anyone ever have theirs resoled? I wear Mephistos casually and Red Wing boots when I need steel toe, etc., and resole both over the years, going on ten years per pair I suppose. I have a pair of A* SMX 5 right now but have been thinking of getting a pair of A* Toucan next so I can resole them to lengthen the use.

Dougald

Not yet but I have Alt-Berg boots. £50 for a resole or £60 for a resole with a "comfort" sole at the factory. I plan to wear my boots until I'm too old to ride!

Stevey

This looks right up my alley.

Where I live everyone on sport bikes hates classics or cruisers and vice versa and there is this stupid cross over where people form different riding groups and shit on each other etc...

I hate how around here people equate owning a bike with thinking they are badass and part of a gang or something.

I should move.

I'm in Lincolnshire and you get that to a degree, like there's cruiser and sports bike nights, but everyone's welcome to whatever night.
We normally go to the classic or cruiser nights as the people seem to be more my type of people, where the sports bike nights attract people who just want to go as fast as possible all the time.
But they're all cool really.

Dougald

My local Ducati dealer has closed and moved up to Oxford. Looks like a nice dealership but I'm going to miss having a 10 minute trip for servicing next February.

OraleeWey

It's early Sunday morning
It's Memorial day weekend
The temperature is on point
The weather is damn perfect
The sun intensity is just right
There's almost no traffic on the highway

Would be the perfect time to find out just how fast an FZ-09 can go

All Harley riders are out
There's a 100% increase in motorcycle riders

I didn't feel lonely on two wheels on my commute to work today because there were many other 2 wheelers

Yet I felt all alone because no one is waving back

All cars are being extra vigilant towards motorcycles

All cars are being extra respectful towards motorcycles

A GoPro isn't needed
All traffic lights were green

no but seriously, about how fast that FZ-09 can go...

That's basically what I was thinking to my self today on my commute. If only it was like this every day. Without a doubt, my most enjoyable ride ever, so far.

Forgot about the Honda Africa Twin or the Yamaha Tenererereeere. I just watched a video on the new KTM 1090 ADV R and that thing sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyTBs0DX80&list=WL&index=17

If only we were all billionaires and we could buy all the motorcycles :(

What about this video, have you seen this ?
https://youtu.be/8b31J9-VKug

So I had to rebuild my rear brake master cylinder. Was a fairly easy fix to do on my own but my brake is still kinda squishy. I'm assuming there is still air in my line?

Dougald

Yeah, if you've had the calliper off to rebuild it there's probably some air in your line, just give it a good bleed and you should be good to go.

I'm personally a fan of speed bleeders as they make the job much easier, but it's nothing that can't be done with a spanner and some plastic tube

That 1090 looks like a fun ride but given my time off pavement consists of 0.01% of my riding time--although I did do a mile on it this weekend on the VStrom!--I really couldn't rationalize having a bike setup for just that. I have a hard enough time articulating to my wife why I keep the SV650 given the DRZ and VStrom are my primary bikes. "It's such a perfect beginner's bike and it's almost completely restored to OEM condition! That's... important! It just needs a new Yoshi exhaust, and a new tank, and a..."

That 1290 video is like a list of "things I don't want in a bike": touch screens and electronics packages and phone integration and fancy-pants lights. But I'm a Luddite. I dig the design aesthetic of the frames alot.

Three hour/120mi ride yesterday through back-roads of Maine. Chilling at point Maguit on the return:

pt-maguit-vstrom.jpg

Dougald

Sounds lovely, much nicer than our boxer! I'm not going to be able to ride the Ducati again until next week so I hope we get more weekends like that.

A friend of ours is looking at doing her CBT soon. Always thought she was too short for bikes until I pointed her at the Grom.

Sounds lovely, much nicer than our boxer! I'm not going to be able to ride the Ducati again until next week so I hope we get more weekends like that.

A friend of ours is looking at doing her CBT soon. Always thought she was too short for bikes until I pointed her at the Grom.

There is the word again GROM. Would like a little MSX125 in the garage.The new look is even better.

07uvoZf.png

Dougald

The old light looked like a mini monster light which was fine, but the new look is much more unique, I really prefer it.

My only worry is it might still be a bit too tall as she's only 4'10", need to get around to a dealership and see. She'd be fine with a lower cruiser but the non-Chinese 125cc market is pretty slim pickings these days.

The old light looked like a mini monster light which was fine, but the new look is much more unique, I really prefer it.

My only worry is it might still be a bit too tall as she's only 4'10", need to get around to a dealership and see. She'd be fine with a lower cruiser but the non-Chinese 125cc market is pretty slim pickings these days.
Yeah those little bikes can be a bit deceptive. Small all around except the seat height can be pretty normal ish (30-31"?), a lot higher than a cruiser.

Dougald

The 1150 is at Bahnstormer BMW for its major service today, not likely to be cheap. They gave us an F800R as a loan bike for Mrs Dougald. She is not a fan of it. Too small(!) and boring apparently

Yeah those little bikes can be a bit deceptive. Small all around except the seat height can be pretty normal ish (30-31"?), a lot higher than a cruiser.

The difference (I'm hoping) is that the seats are much narrower and the bike much wider. I know as someone who is a little less vertically challenged, I've had way less problems on smaller bikes with seats that are taller on paper than heavy ones. She will be limited to 125cc anyway so cruisers aren't really an option unless you buy chinese or pay over the odds for an old Intruder 125.

The 1150 is at Bahnstormer BMW for its major service today, not likely to be cheap. They gave us an F800R as a loan bike for Mrs Dougald. She is not a fan of it. Too small(!) and boring apparently

I will second that. The F800r is not a very exciting bike to ride. Looks good but the twin motor is a bit flat. That motor does feel better in the 800GS range.

Dougald

£520 in the end. Not too bad considering it was the big service, I've paid more. Bike is still running fine, those boxer engines are built to last.

I had a nose at both the R1200RS and the rNineT Urban Enduro. Both those bikes are way up on my shortlist for my next ride.

I liked the F800R when I test rode it, but hard to see why anyone would buy one over a Street Triple for example.

Time to moan about insurance. Complete scumbags. £835 last year. No claims. Time for renewal £940. What!?

Doesn't help that BMW class the R1200RS as a "sports" bike.

Scarecrow

Anyone have any experience riding with pets? specifically cats? I'm looking to move from Hanoi to Saigon in the fall and would prefer to ride the length of the country, but I have a cat I want to take with me. I could avoid the hassle and fly, but I want the riding experience.

I liked the F800R when I test rode it, but hard to see why anyone would buy one over a Street Triple for example.

Time to moan about insurance. Complete scumbags. £835 last year. No claims. Time for renewal £940. What!?

Doesn't help that BMW class the R1200RS as a "sports" bike.

They where saying this morning on the radio that premiums are up from last year. Also you do allot of miles and its usually based also where you live. I had a K1300s and I was paying £350 fully comp. But then I live in a small village around Reading. But I do feel your pain. That price would make me think twice owning a bike if I dont use it allot like I do.

Fresh rubber!

The garage changed the break fluid from the reservoirs but the didn't bleed the brake line, which is insane. They got lazy with it and I'm planning to visit them soon with new accessories and make them bleed the brake lines.

Other than a few accessories that I need to get the bike is nearly perfect, only strange thing that my friend pointed out was this in the front. Previous owner changed the lights and I think whoever put it back together did a poor job of it. I have no clue how to fix this myself.

Stevey

The garage changed the break fluid from the reservoirs but the didn't bleed the brake line, which is insane. They got lazy with it and I'm planning to visit them soon with new accessories and make them bleed the brake lines.

So they just poured new brake fluid in and didnt bleed?
That sounds dumb as fuck.
Tell them I said they're dumb.
Just bleed it yourself man, it's easy, you just need a length of tube that fits the bleed nipple.

Open, squeeze, shut, release.
Repeat until done.

Top Bottom