• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Taruranto

Fucking Arima stans man.

I mean it says right there it's about Hidekane.

Don't really think we should pay so much attention to what is probably a few dozens of delusional people.

No, I understand they are mad about Hide, but I don't understand how people think he was a runner for anything, especially given how he hasn't made an actual appearance in 100 chapters or something. TG isn't even particularly homoerotic (Except Tsukiyama in the original manga) compared to something like, dunno, Seraph of the End.

This said yeah, it's kinda "fake news", you can probably go on twitter and find people angry about anything anytime.

phaze

No, I understand they are mad about Hide, but I don't understand how people think he was a runner for anything, especially given how he hasn't made an actual appearance in 100 chapters or something. TG isn't even particularly homoerotic (Except Tsukiyama in the original manga) compared to something like, dunno, Seraph of the End.

This said yeah, it's kinda "fake news", you can probably go on twitter and find people angry about anything anytime.

Ahhh I see. Well these people will hang on to anything, that's just how it is.

barber

The Mage Will Master Magic Efficiently in His Second Life 19: please dont go the harem way, please
i guess it is going the harem way :(

Keijo 1-152 Manga can be truly made from any topic and stil be awesome. Should have more jokes about the childhood friend trying to hook up with the MC who doesnt notice / give a fuck. I can feel the strong power of yuri doujinshi in this one.

The legendary moonlight sculptor 97 Poor tv crew, having to sort all those hours of secondary ability grind XD They should do a joke segment with it.

Did Tower of God became fast paced again? I left it
after the treason when Bam "died" and then the girl episodes... so slow ug

Sai

Naruto is gay for Sasuke through sheer incompetence on Kishimoto's part. Same with Madara's obsession with Hashimara. The guy has a talent for unintentionally crafting these super intimate and emotional relationships between men that have romantic undertones.
I don't think "romantic" is the right word for it. I mean, having romantic feelings for someone can come off as obsessive and overbearing, and a lot of fans jokingly coined them as romantic to get some laughs out of that badly written, almost nonsensical fixation, but that's really all it was.

As far as Naruto and Sasuke are concerned, Kishimoto himself admitted to how weird 'n crazy both Naruto and Sasuke came off as a consequence of him not putting in enough effort to lay down a more solid foundation for their simple friendship. To interpret a friendly relationship that even the author admits to half-assing as some kind of "obvious" step above that—romance... Well, it's par the course for shippers in general, I guess. :/

Regardless, none of the pairings—legitimate or not—were ever worth all the vitriol that surrounded them. The end of Part 2 was an embarrassing time to be a Naruto fan. ._.

JulianImp

Posted about it in the anime tread, but since I'd rather avoid spoiling everything there, I'll be talking more in-depth about it here.

So, I was thinking about how the Tsugumomo anime adaptation could go around not being just cheap pedo bait, and I thought about the following episode line-up:
- Ep10 (and maybe 11): Sunao fight
(skip stupid marriage pact episode, since it was 99% smut)
- Ep12: Whatever, ends with Mayoiga arc tease (and anime most likely dies here)
- Ep13-15: Introduction to the two amasogi siblings and the amasogi they use to weaken Kukuri (dream pillow, arcade game, forgot what else)
- Ep 16: Introduction to the people of Mayoiga, plus flashback to when they found the other obi girl
- Eps 17-18: The people of Mayoiga planning their next move before striking
- Eps 19-20: Mayoiga vs Kukuri
- Eps 21-22: Kanaka returns, wrecks shit up and Kazuya's sister stops her to buy some time
- Ep 23: Kanaka & Kiriha flashback episode (ignore all the lewd parts and it'd be perfactly doable)
- Ep 24: Kazuya's childhood flashback, ending with him going to the main temple for training

I might be forgetting something or be extrapolating arc durations wrong, but I think that'd be the series' best shot at showing decent content. Even in the latest arc where the smut is actually supposed to mean something at times, they could probably
go the F/SN adaptation route of using CG dolphins for the mana sharing, and the groping scenes between the coup leader and the woman he overthrew could be made into way tamer stuff, such as the guy holding her during his interrogation without any stupid lewd stuff going on.

...But who am I kidding... the series probably got adapted because of the lewd crap and not in spite of it, so it's pretty unlikely that they'd try to dial it down to avoid putting people off with the borderline hentai stuff that happens in the manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think "romantic" is the right word for it. I mean, having romantic feelings for someone can come off as obsessive and overbearing, and a lot of fans jokingly coined them as romantic to get some laughs out of that badly written, almost nonsensical fixation, but that's really all it was.

As far as Naruto and Sasuke are concerned, Kishimoto himself admitted to how weird 'n crazy both Naruto and Sasuke came off as a consequence of him not putting in enough effort to lay down a more solid foundation for their simple friendship. To interpret a friendly relationship that even the author admits to half-assing as some kind of "obvious" step above that—romance... Well, it's par the course for shippers in general, I guess. :/

Regardless, none of the pairings—legitimate or not—were ever worth all the vitriol that surrounded them. The end of Part 2 was an embarrassing time to be a Naruto fan. ._.
The problem with those characters is that they weren't really friends.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Common grim did you forgot the dozens of retcon flash backs to establish how they were always close?
I don't remember there being anything to establish anything more than grudging respect. Towards the point at which Sasuke left.

PK Gaming

I don't even think it's a matter of just laying down a solid foundation. Naruto is just so shamelessly shonen when it comes to his fixation with Sasuke, and Kishi probably thought he was evoking this sense of "wow, Naruto is really determined when it comes to saving his friend?!" but it's so over the top and melodramatic, it's impossible to take seriously. And yeah, I should have prefaced by saying "unintentional" romance, because it's clear that wasn't his intent at all.

And did Kishi really say that?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Those undertones were definitely there and it wasn't even acidental. They kissed on panel and frankly both seemed far closer to each other than either of their wives. Kishimoto knew exactly what he was doing. There were far too many hints for someone that wasn't self aware. That's not to say they love loved each other, but the undertones were too blatant even if it was ultimately a joke.

Sai

I mean, you're bringing it up all italicized as if they were showing signs of being anything beyond disgusted by the event. They weren't a blushing mess that couldn't even meet each other's eyes due to be too self-conscious of the other. If you're seeing romantic undertones there, you're lookin' way too hard.

The problem with those characters is that they weren't really friends.
I know, which is what makes the way he tried to force it in the end all the worse.

For all the inspiration Kishimoto took from Togashi, he should've modeled their friendship after Gon 'n Killua's. Whatever he desired to make of their supposed friendship was drowned out by him crowbarrin' all these themes he lacked the competence to properly implement into his story.

And did Kishi really say that?
Not in those exact words, but yeah, he said it during an interview that was posted a while after the manga's conclusion. Forget which one it was, and I hope somebody can dig up the quote for you, 'cause I'm too lazy to do it. :p

[EDIT] - Okay, quick Google search for "Kishimoto Naruto Sasuke Crazy People" got it for me:

So you think you still didn’t really managed to put into words what is the relation between Naruto and Sasuke ?

Kishimoto : I don’t know. Maybe I didn’t as well as I wanted to, and because of that almost everyone thinks both of them are crazy lunatics. From on now, everything will depend on how well I can put their relationship into words.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo 1-152 Manga can be truly made from any topic and stil be awesome. Should have more jokes about the childhood friend trying to hook up with the MC who doesnt notice / give a fuck. I can feel the strong power of yuri doujinshi in this one.

Glad that you jumped on the butt wrestling train! That guy is not worth wasting pages on, so it's all the better that way.

Posted about it in the anime tread, but since I'd rather avoid spoiling everything there, I'll be talking more in-depth about it here.

...But who am I kidding... the series probably got adapted because of the lewd crap and not in spite of it, so it's pretty unlikely that they'd try to dial it down to avoid putting people off with the borderline hentai stuff that happens in the manga.

While it's not really my cup of tea, I do appreciate the author being a crazy horny bastard who needs to draw outrageous smut between bouts of action, so I do feel that compeltely taking away the more risqué elements would be a bit of a shame (that card game part is completely unecessary though).

Man this recent chapter of Black Clover was good, but man am I disappointed on the fan-service side. They went all for the ladies. The guy side was too tame.

Senju's revival isn Dr.Stone was also weird. I didn't really get it. Like that stone on it's neck breaking fixed is broken neck?

Also still really liking RxL that whole Robo super analysis was super cool. Love where this is going.

barber

Senju's revival isn Dr.Stone was also weird. I didn't really get it. Like that stone on it's neck breaking fixed is broken neck?

It is more like when the girl had the ankle still made of stone: the body part covered by it still acts like the stone so the neck itself was broken but the part covered in stone wast, so when it recovered, the neck wasnt totally brocken just really damaged (anime logic!)

Man this recent chapter of Black Clover was good, but man am I disappointed on the fan-service side. They went all for the ladies. The guy side was too tame.

Also still really liking RxL that whole Robo super analysis was super cool. Love where this is going.

Hopefully the anime ads more to the hotsprings, guy side

For all the inspiration Kishimoto took from Togashi, he should've modeled their friendship after Gon 'n Killua's. Whatever he desired to make of their supposed friendship was drowned out by him crowbarrin' all these themes he lacked the competence to properly implement into his story.

When i finally read HxH this really struck out to me, hell iirc i mentioned in the thread at the time that it was way superior.

Also hated the themes he hilariously shoehorned in and its one of the major reasons why shippuden was a steam pile of shit and no longer worth the time or effort.

Extra points for certain making characters look extremely bad as well.

JulianImp

While it's not really my cup of tea, I do appreciate the author being a crazy horny bastard who needs to draw outrageous smut between bouts of action, so I do feel that compeltely taking away the more risqué elements would be a bit of a shame (that card game part is completely unecessary though).

Maybe not completely, but it's way too much for what'd otherwise be a battle shonen-slash-harem. At least with the manga I can just start skimming ahead the moment it gets smutty, but even then the author tends to take things way too far:
- Like you've said, the card game with lewd rewards that a goddess came up with just so she could abuse little girls was downright preposterous, and the woman's character as a whole was dumb while not actually adding anything to the series as a whole (except for a yuri lolicon character, I guess)
- Kazuya's older sister starting out as a comedic brocon kind of character... until we learn through flashbacks that she had actually been engaging in lewd skinship with Kazuya since they were children - wait, what?
- Kiriha being turned into a pervert because she was constantly being groped and stuff by Kanaka, perpetuating the cheap and dumb "rape 'em until they like it" fantasy
- Basically anything Kanaka. She's like a way worse version of Kill La Kill's Ragyo whose only claims to fame are being grossly overpowered and a sex maniac, and she basically turned heel merely because she got possessed (complete with a life fiber heart!)
- The MC scaring an otherwise strong female character to the point she pissed herself... I was unable to skip that since it was the finale of their battle and didn't last any longer than that, but it was really unsettling and degrading for the flute tsukumogami girl
- The whole stupid arranged marriage arc with Sunao's mother forcing them to get it on while her father was constantly getting in the way (and then brutally beaten by his wife)
- Putting a female character in a trance to get confidential information out of her, and then getting sidetracked with groping because the interrogator was male
- The dumb "incest" set-up between the crystal ball and scissors tsukumogamis (which is supposed to be taboo-ish because they grew up like brother and sister, or something)

For a TV anime adaptation, I think they'd either have to seriously cut back at least 75% of that or risk being so risqué that nobody but the most hardcore followers would continue watching them, dooming the adaptation to fail pretty hard as soon as S1.

I guess it's really weird to be saying all this while being a Monogatari fan, but I think I like that better because the fanservice doesn't get as kinky as often as Tsugumomo (bath scenes aren't about groping at least, and the lewdest I remember were the toothbrush scene in Nise and the weird snake stuff in Nadeko Snake), while also developing characters way better and having an interesting way of doing so (by lots of lots an talking), as opposed to Tsugumomo's fairly standard shonen plot (I swear it has way too many elements in common with Kill La Kill).

It is more like when the girl had the ankle still made of stone: the body part covered by it still acts like the stone so the neck itself was broken but the part covered in stone wast, so when it recovered, the neck wasnt totally brocken just really damaged (anime logic!)

My guess is Senku has known more about the truth of both the stone world and the stone's properties then he's let on before now. The series has essentially been in a flash forward since midway through chapter 1. I imagine by this time we get through these 6 months of solo senku we'll have far better insight into how this world works.

Jagan wa Gachirin ni Tobu

demon owl does a reverse medusa where anything it looks at croaks from super ebola. hermit japanese hunter is the only one that ever wounded it. super seekrit US forces stole owl for experiments before hermit finished it off. 13 years later, owl gets lose in japan once again.

gave it four chaps, was painfully derivative, so probably won't return to it. What i did find interesting, however, was the fact that the book opts to have a CIA goon and a Delta bro, working as a team, going to some remote japanese village to convince the hermit hunter to do his thing again. And every single thing about those guys felt off. Couldnt quite understand why.

Eventually it dawned on me that the body language being displayed by both americans was something nearly copy-pasted from Hajime no Ippo. The arched backs, forced expressions, peeking, hand gestures, the works. Which makes no god damn sense, obviously, and yet there it was.

Had never noticed how easily character postures can ruin a scene.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Sing Yesterday for Me ch. 107 - 108

Not that I honestly expected any other result, but thank fuck all the same. It had to end this way. Shinako only has herself to blame.

I can buy Kasane on bookwalker and you guys didn't tell me?! You're the worst!

I'm like the only one here who regularly posts about it and I had no idea it was even licensed lol. Sweet though, will buy (on CMX).

We Never Learn 15

Ogata is stealing all of Yuiga's time. Though she also managed to mess up every chance of her getting Yuiga out of the baths.

Nordicus

Gal Gohan 7

The face of crushed dreams
Td6dByL.jpg
Also, not buying the gyaru squad's collective sexual inexperience for a second.
"Maybe my boyfriend will make a move!"
Yeah nawwwwwwwww

asagami_

Banned
Okumo-chan Flashback Chapter 1

The new manga from Riichi Ueshiba. I expect have some meta-story, maybe. And, even if the premise is kinda "taboo", it don't give me the same vibes from Nazo no Kanojo X. The fact this chapter isn't a standalone one-shot tell me the direction of the story can have a twist in the next few chapters.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch153

That was a close one. She got kind of reckless with her new stance, as impressive as it was.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch556

I think they might be trying to kill him.

Kingdom ch518

Good to see the Mountain Tribes in action again. I hope we'll see Yotanwa personally fight this time.

Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen ch25

A trial run is better than this indecisive bullshit. Yet this guy is shameless enough to nearly molest an asleep colleague.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch27

Honesty it didn't get as violent as I expected.

Kyou no Kerberos ch8

Should just let Roze do everything.

Joe Molotov

Girls' Last Tour Vol. 1 (Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou)

Picked this up from the bookstore on a whim, and I really liked it. The plot is thin, but it's works perfectly to hang this surreal, post-apocalyptic, motorcycle roadtrip on (ala Kino's Journey). Some great background art and wdieface moe. Seems good.

Lain

I'm like the only one here who regularly posts about it and I had no idea it was even licensed lol. Sweet though, will buy (on CMX).

Didn't know it was licensed either, but I'm assuming it's digital only which is fjsajdjksh. It's been on my hitlist since the dawn of time.

To think the people that are interested in the manga didn't know it was licensed (I only found out by chance because I looked at the bookwalker newsletter when I usually skip reading until the end), Kodansha didn't do a great job of advertising it. I didn't even have it jotted down in my to purchase list.

I grabbed it and, apart from a repeated word in a scene, they did a pretty good job editing it. Give me more Kodansha!

Zweizer

Banned
Girls' Last Tour Vol. 1 (Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou)

Picked this up from the bookstore on a whim, and I really liked it. The plot is thin, but it's works perfectly to hang this surreal, post-apocalyptic, motorcycle roadtrip on (ala Kino's Journey). Some great background art and wdieface moe. Seems good.

Didn't know it got localized. It's a pretty nice, relaxing (somehow) series. In the same vein, I'd suggest you read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Mob Psycho 100 ch99.4

Well dang.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch13

Fujoshis saving the economy, one industry at a time.

Zweizer

Banned
Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch45

Bocchi's shyness is surprisingly effective at breaking down social barriers.

So, like most people today.

Goblin Is Very Strong ch5

Yeesh, it already proved this during the chiemra chapter, but this can be pretty dark underneath its cutesy artstyle.

Too bad for Arielle. She could've made for an amusing addition to Yuki's party (poor her).

Kaiki Nantai Katatsumuriko (NSFW doujin)
A guy takes shelter in an abandoned house and is ambushed by an affectionate snail girl. I'm unsure about the cooling properties of snail slime, but in this scenario I'd be prepared to experiment, for science or something. Ganmarei's at his finest when working with monster girls, though he does have an unfortunate tendency towards mono-eye bullying.

Mon Resu 1 (RAW)

aaand then I go and check his pixiv and he's doing a semi-lewd web manga about monster girls wrestling. Where the referee is a cute mono-eye.

1d2n3tz.jpg

As soon as I figure out how to navigate one of these JP sites I'm gonna buy the full version of chp 2. For science or something. Well, it's not like understanding the dialogue is necessary to appreciate the plot's intricacies.

Goblin Is Very Strong 5

Huh, for a moment there I thought Arielle was gonna get permakilled. Wasabi's unusual blend of kind cruelty makes her a refreshing lead. Also I think the story would benefit from an omake demonstrating the ritual of 100 kicks to the butt.

Gal Gohan 1 - 7:
Best girl of 2017. Really like the cooking club idea for a fun and light story.
It's got some light comedy, but it works as a short tale.
Recommended for those looking for a quick bite.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 1 - 65:
This is exactly what I needed. A ridiculously sweet and hilarious story of two "geniuses" trying to make each other confess their feelings for one another.
It's hilarious, clever, and shows how overthinking any situation can lead to making the whole thing worse for yourself when it comes to love. The art style improves over the first few chapters, which sets it apart from other similar stories. Both characters grow as the story progresses, changing the format from two "perfect" protagonists to their own flawed beings.
Really recommended for those looking for a sweet romance manga with great characters and art.

Depression with Succubus 1 - 11:
The main character's depression is pretty damn accurate. Good stuffs.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Here's the ToC since nobody posted it yet.

Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
One Piece
The Promised Neverland
Dr. Stone (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Haikyuu!!
Boruto (CP)
My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (CP)
Shokugeki no Souma
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Hinomaru Zumou
Samon-kun the Summoner (End)
Robot×Laserbeam
Gintama
Hungry Marie
Spring Weapon Number One
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
U19
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

The new series is by the guy behind Straighten Up. I doubt it will be added to English Jump if it's a soccer manga as those are a dime a dozen and more often than not utter crap.
A new series is coming in two weeks. Then HxH returns in three weeks. That probably means U19 and Poro are on the chopping block. Marie is probably going to stick around for a bit due to being an established author.

Did they confirm that in last weeks podcast (didn't listen)? While I doubt they add the soccer manga if they get a series that explodes like neverland did they'll add it.
No confirmation, but with pass comment, knowing that HxH is coming back, WT could come back at anytime and that kenshin is a sure addtion, I really doubt that even a successful series would get added.

Chase17

Robo jumped up then right back down.

Oh aweosme we're getting a jump soccer manga, hype!!!

RIP Samon the Summoner. https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/status/869747228390211585

Nice. I'm always down for sports manga so I'll make sure to check this out. I should probably try out Hinomaru Zumou too.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 63
Series has been great since the forest arc. Surprised we are getting the rank 3 moon so soon. Hopefully Rengoku doesn't bite it here.

Top Bottom