• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Eromanga is actually good. Thats why its the seasonal banner.

It's decent-ish at best, but held back by how it keeps shipping the (non-blood-related) siblings together as Sagiri befriends other girls... and looks at their underwear for research purposes, of course. The characters are as generic as they can be, which reminds me of Saenai Heroine in that it plays too many things by the book so it isn't all that eye-catching. It's probably going to be one of those somewhat entertaining but ultimately forgettable seasonal shows at best, IMO.

The only seasonal shows I actually look forward to watching each week have been Tsuki Ga Kirei, Kado and Alice & Zoroku, which is why I caught up with Kuroko in the meantime (recap episodes airing on all three shows one week helped as well). AoT I'm not all that interested in because I've already read the manga, and then there's Tsugumomo, which I've already written quite a bit about a couple days ago.

ibyea

Banned
The Laughing Salesman: 1
Damn, this show is cynical as hell. Little Shop of Horror level of satirical cynicism, except way less funny.

Kickz

Inuyasha The Final Act Ep 13

3iYfMCl.jpg
PT084VK.jpg
9oMlrW1.jpg

Can't help but feel bad for Sesshomaru, not only did Inuyasha inherit the stronger sword Tetsaiga now he also owns Sesshomaru's Tenseiga.. The dad must've really hated Sesshomaru torture him like this.

ibyea

Banned
KADO: 0-1
Weirdly enough, for episode 0, they used 2D animation, and then switched to 3D for the next. Can't say I am a fan of the 3D, mainly because the animation is distractingly stiff. As for the show itself, it reminds me somewhat of the movie Arrival, which is a good thing. The physicist girl though really got on my nerves, I hate this character.

duckroll

Zestiest Tales Of - Episodes 23-25 (End)

That was really enjoyable. It remained true to the theme and tone of the series all the way to the end. Nothing groundbreaking or totally surprising, but so consistent. Great production values, likeable characters, and a very conclusive epilogue. Probably the best Tales Of thing made in a decade or more. Also glad to see that they can pull off a climax without any of the top stars in the studio or any guest super animators. The final battles weren't outstanding jaw dropping amazing, but they still looked good and it shows that the studio has passed on the standard skill set among their staff very well.

So am I correct in understanding that
the final scene in the ending takes place maybe hundreds of years later or something? It seems like Sorey isn't concerned about visiting his human friends at all, probably because they've all passed on? Given how different everything looks and the great cities seen from the clouds, that's my impression.

Zestiest Tales Of - Episodes 23-25 (End)

So am I correct in understanding that
the final scene in the ending takes place maybe hundreds of years later or something? It seems like Sorey isn't concerned about visiting his human friends at all, probably because they've all passed on? Given how different everything looks and the great cities seen from the clouds, that's my impression.

Yes

Thanks. Did you like the ending? I'm really happy they managed to give all the characters room to breath at the end. It was so touching.
I really liked the ending. That Sorey and Mikleo part really got me. I also found that last shot with Sorey jumping and seeing the world before him absolutely fantastic. The sense of wonder in mean was strong.
Also just glad Eizen got a good ending

JulianImp

Navel-gazing otaku anime used to have at least a modicum of class back in the day.

Koyomi Araragi, of all people, says that exact phrase (or something really close to it, I think) when talking to Gahara during Mayoi Snail. I kind of liked that, but then we got to Nise and, well...

So in the end, what was different about the anime compared to the game? How did the game end?
Pretty differently. The game is much darker.

Lots of people die in the game. Gramps, Mayvin and Eizen. Heldalf really tries to push Sorey over in the game. The anime is really really tame.

Sorey actually kills Helfalf and seal himself with Maotelus because his corruption is the cause of the earth succumbing and purifies him.

The whole Sorey Mikleo origin is pretty much absent

Simone doesn't become a dragon.

Alisha is absolutely not there.

Rose and Alsiha don't end up together

Sorey and Mikleo do end up together though.

I played he game a while ago and some facts might be off, but that's the main of it.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.101
The new faces of evil have arrived to mess with the Fairy Tail trail. There should be sone intense battles upcoming, but why all the cryptic
Lisanna
death flags and foreshadowing? She nust came back onto the show dammit..

kewlmyc

So in the end, what was different about the anime compared to the game? How did the game end?

There was no super powered multifusion with Sorey, Alisha's role was greatly enhanced in the anime (she couldn't armatize at all in the game and didn't participate in the final battle), Eizen (dragon form) dies at the hands of the party, Dezel dies way before the final battle, and both Foxman and Symmone survive the events of the game. Alisha's master is a villain, which is just glossed over here. Also Sorey and Mikleo's grandpa dies. Also take all of the Velvet/Berseria stuff and remove it altogether.

Everything else is kinda spot on.

duckroll

Here's my little sister experience: When they're really young and you can bully them and make them do dumb shit, it's pretty entertaining, especially since it takes place when you're childish as hell too. Then they grow up into what you were, and it becomes intolerable hell. Just years of annoyance. After they grow out that, if your didn't somehow irreparably destroy your relationship, it's super awesome to have an adult little sister who has a different perspective but might also share common interests.

Loona

yeah until new genshiken went wholesale batshit into the depravity!

Ohno at the beginning seems like she's there to mitigate the sausage fest factor and as an excuse to have well-filled cosplay scenes, but I found it interesting how eventually the series changes so that the whole thing was mostly girls and basically helped provide an insight into fujoshi mindsets - probably not an intentionally switcheroo early on, but I still consider that enjoying Genshiken helped me develop an understanding for a side of fandom I normally wouldn't have experienced.

kewlmyc

Is there an anime about a brother and a sister reconnecting, but doesn't end with them trying to fuck each other? I didn't get that with Oreimo, and I doubt I'll get that with Eromanga Sensei.

You get this with same sex siblings all the time (at least on the male side), but I can't think of an opposite sex example.

Is there an anime about a brother and a sister reconnecting, but doesn't end with them trying to fuck each other? I didn't get that with Oreimo, and I doubt I'll get that with Eromanga Sensei.

You get this with same sex siblings all the time (at least on the male side), but I can't think of an opposite sex example.
Poco's Udon world? It's not just that, but it's one of the themes.

duckroll

Does Armstrong and Olivia in FMA count?

Here's my little sister experience: When they're really young and you can bully them and make them do dumb shit, it's pretty entertaining, especially since it takes place when you're childish as hell too. Then they grow up into what you were, and it becomes intolerable hell. Just years of annoyance. After they grow out that, if your didn't somehow irreparably destroy your relationship, it's super awesome to have an adult little sister who has a different perspective but might also share common interests.
I've split the difference with one little sister who is the most stereotypical American teenage girl you can imagine and the other clearly has the seed of my influence because she loves anime and many of the video games series I love and let her play with me when she was younger.

So I give one point to anime.

You actually see that a lot in anime.

But most of that time that reconnecting is "I'm going to find and kill my brother/sister."

Cornbread78

Poco's Udon world? It's not just that, but it's one of the themes.

Yeah, big sis in Poco is a good example of a good bro/sis relationship without the otaku garbage mixed in.

Not really "reconnecting," but a few recent examples of strong plutonic bro/sis relationships that were well done without any otaku crap:

Charlotte
SNAFU
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Big Order

Jarmel

Banned

Scrapped Princess

The last episode has a heartwarming reunion between brother and sister.

Clov

A bit late for this, but I had a lot of fun at the con I went to last weekend, Anime North! Got a lot of pictures in my first cosplay; less in my second, but there were still a few people who recognized me. I even found someone else cosplaying as the same character, but in a different outfit! Weather was really weird though. It was cold and rainy on the Friday, which was terrible for me since my outfit wasn't exactly very warm. It was supposed to rain on Sunday, but it ended up being really hot.

Didn't end up getting any Blu-Rays this year; the main one I wanted, Free S1, was overpriced compared to Amazon. Not too surprised; cons are generally bad for new releases like that. I found a booth that was selling older Sentai titles for reasonable prices, but I couldn't end up finding anything I wanted; Kids on the Slope wasn't there, and they only had the DVD of Watamote. Ended up getting one thing from the dealer's room, and a bunch of pins and bookmarks from the artist's alley. Still, I really enjoyed myself this year! I probably won't be able to go next year since I'll be moving, but for the time being I feel that I ended things there on a strong note.

A bit late for this, but I had a lot of fun at the con I went to last weekend, Anime North! Got a lot of pictures in my first cosplay; less in my second, but there were still a few people who recognized me. I even found someone else cosplaying as the same character, but in a different outfit! Weather was really weird though. It was cold and rainy on the Friday, which was terrible for me since my outfit wasn't exactly very warm. It was supposed to rain on Sunday, but it ended up being really hot.

Who'd ya cosplay as then?

. Still, I really enjoyed myself this year! I probably won't be able to go next year since I'll be moving, but for the time being I feel that I ended things there on a strong note.

But youll be able to go to JPN DJ events!!!

YGO!!!!
DAt4ilBXsAAYzZe.jpg:small

or hotshot naruko only events
DAaonORUIAEKWta.jpg:small

and Valvrave for some EruHaru goodness in 2017
C__eucsVYAAooe6.jpg:small

duckroll

I remember liking Valvrave all the way through. I don't remember why. I don't want to remember anything. I just remember liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom