• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

dummydecoy

We are going to see dual bluray games next gen right?
50gb just isn't enough anymore based on what we've seen form the conference.
Insert disc 2 to continue!

ScRYeD

Have they figured out how to fit all that power into decent sized casing. I wonder how they will cool the damn thing.

Another feature of the ps4 it glows red after 30 minutes to remind you to go outside and have a break.

Elios83

We are going to see dual bluray games next gen right?
50gb just isn't enough anymore based on what we've seen form the conference.
Insert disc 2 to continue!

A 50GB Blu Ray should give developers much less headaches next gen compared to what DVDs have been in the current gen.
Btw they haven't announced which Blu Ray discs it reads. There might some discussions going on behind the scenes with the BDA but honestly if they have to raise the price because of Blu Ray again it's better if they stick with 50GB discs.

Diagol

Just saw the press shots of the controller that was updated in the OP. Looks a LOT better than what I was expecting.

Raistlin

so basically thats why all 8 Jaguars are used of games... separate cpu is running OS and probably security which is why they are saying nothing about it.
The OS is running on the Jaguars I assume, though certain features are handled via co-processors.

As for security who knows. Can't imagine that will be disclosed for obvious reasons. :p

I'm interested in learning more about those components and the "background" CPU. I guess we haven't heard much about this since it wouldn't necessarily be in the developer documentation.
Yeah me too.

Seems like a great architecture though. Unified, crazy fast memory. Co-processors were it makes sense. Tweaks to the GPU for GPGPU features instead of something crazy like CELL. etc. Elegant and powerful.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Here's an unscientific comparison. Looks about right.
ds4z5dhh.gif

squidyj

Some key info I found interesting:

Left/Right analog sticks improved as well as triggers

Face Recognition login

Recharge controller in stand by mode

Light bar gives information like health indicator warning

but... how? it looks like it's oriented facing away from the player, how would the player even see it in a well lit environment?

Dude with 8G GDDR5, 4k is actually a very graspable realm of possibility.

No it isn't. Just because you have enough RAM to render at 4k doesn't mean you have the bandwidth or GPU power to sustain a reasonable framerate. 1.84TFLOPs is way low compared to high-end GPUs and those struggle at 2k.

-M

spwolf

The OS is running on the Jaguars I assume, though certain features are handled via co-processors.

As for security who knows. Can't imagine that will be disclosed for obvious reasons. :p

no, he said custom processor was running OS and background features, right? Was I imagining things or nobody else cought this? It wasnt about video decoder/encoder or zlib decore... he said custom cpu running OS and background.

someday

Banned
Has there been any information about whether the Eye is required? Sort of like what they're saying about Kinect2.0 being required for xbox720 (or whatever it's called)). I was massively turned off by the idea of MS keeping track of my movements on my couch and using that information for ads. I just hope Sony doesn't do this as well.

phierce

no, he said custom processor was running OS and background features, right? Was I imagining things or nobody else cought this? It wasnt about video decoder/encoder or zlib decore... he said custom cpu running OS and background.
Yes. He definitely said that, and that's f'n awesome!!

You are right. He said it was a separate processor.

Raistlin

Oh really ... I did miss parts of it.

That's interesting if true. I wonder if that means certain other apps (browser, etc) are running completely independently?

DBT85

You are right. He said it was a separate processor.

GopherD has also suggested in a thread that less than 1 Jaguar will be used by the OS. He is typically very good, and also the guy who told Thuway he would get the BBQ sauce ready if/when they said 8GB of GDDR5.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Something very interesting here is that it really seems that they didn't go for 14+4 CU separation on the GPU. They almost go out of their way saying that all 18 are unified and can be used for whatever purpose developers want.

Shahed

Is a 6x Bluray drive speed good enough? To my technically lacking mind, it seems pretty slow. I was hoping for more

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is a 6x Bluray drive speed good enough? To my technically lacking mind, it seems pretty slow. I was hoping for more

With built in HDD and 8GB of faster then needed ram, yes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Slightly disappointed they opted for a HDD rather than an SSD

I won't disagree that a SSD would be better, but.. 8GB...
Standard HDDs still have a significant size advantage, combine that with price and their choice was pretty simple.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They should make a PS3 variant of the DS4. I'd buy one.

Somewhat disappointed by the dated Bluetooth support.

I didn't hear him say the whole OS, just certain activities. Could be wrong.

casmith07

Those specifications are absolutely ridiculous for a home console.

The Wii U just effectively became technologically obsolete.

Also, are those leatherette-style grips on the controller? If so, sploosh!

Raistlin

GopherD has also suggested in a thread that less than 1 Jaguar will be used by the OS.
That makes more sense to me.

You obviously can't have a separate processor handling user inputs (the same processors running the game has to have it as well) ... so that would mean you have to have it running in two places. Waste of RAM. Well, unless this OS processor also has its own memory too. Still though, that just seems a bit weird to me.

casmith07

SSD's are expensive and would greatly affect the price. It would better if the option to connect an SSD ourselves were available.

I imagine you'll be able to pull the drive and install your own.

I plan on tossing in a 256GB Corsair GT3 as soon as I bring it home, if self-upgrades are possible.

Can someone estimate the BOM cost? From the looks of it, unless they want to loss something on the HW, it doesn't see to be anything below $500

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I doubt many games if any will use the BD drive alone. Games will have installs, but now they install 3x faster!

Can someone estimate the BOM cost? From the looks of it, unless they want to loss something on the HW, it doesn't see to be anything below $500

Depends on a few things.
1. Does the camera come in the box?
2. How much does the APU cost? I'm guessing cheaper than the Cell (<$200?), but now no RSX equivalent cost for a separate GPU.
3. 8GB GDDR5 ~$100? That is probably the second largest cost, second to the APU.
4. The BD drive in the PS3 was very costly (~$300), that is probably $30 now. HD cost are the same, just larger sizes. Everything else is small change (which adds up).
5. Controller cost? Probably $10 more than the DS3 at most. So maybe $35 for Sony?

So maybe $400 without the camera, $450 with? That include manufacturing and shipping. They will probably take a loss for sure.

Top Bottom