• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Red

Interesting.

On the iTunes page for Pokemon Go the developer/publisher is NOT Nintendo.

The developer/publisher is Niantic.
Is this a surprise? We've known Niantic was developing since it was announced. I would not have expected Nintendo to be listed, although it's a little weird The Pokemon Company is not credited as publisher.

KingBroly

Banned
Is this a surprise? We've known Niantic was developing since it was announced. I would not have expected Nintendo to be listed, although it's a little weird The Pokemon Company is not credited as publisher.

No, it's not a surprise.

dippa

Neo Member
You collect heaps of Pokeballs from Pokestops and you get 25 (or 20?) every time you level up, so running out of those shouldn't be an issue.

Spending coins on incense, lures and upgrades for your backpack/items are probably more worthwhile than buying Poke Balls.

Gummy

Neo Member
I hate the fact that the two Character options are shit, and the character customization is even worse. Why can't we just use our Miitomo's? Like this is what they would have been good for Nintendo...

HowZatOZ

Banned
I braved the icy cold winds of Brisbane to check out the nearest Pokestop in my PJs and got an egg and some Pokeballs. This app is really cool, and while it is currently limited I love the idea of teams controlling gym points and basically being the "gangs" of the area.

Also if I see someone near me playing this game and we make eye contact, I will complement their shorts and battle them.

Choomp

Banned
If they had actual battles, this game woulda been amazing.

Das what everyone's saying. But really, could he seriously have expected this to be a fully aspected Pokemon game plus the new catching gimmick? It's still a mobile thing after all

SaviourMK2

Dear god the community college across the street from is covered in pokespots. There's one every 2 feet, it's going to be hard not to have enough balls.

Downloaded the apk and it's working just fine.

Chose charmander as my starter. I took a short walk to a couple of pokespots and ended up catching a rattata, pidgey, pidgeotto, eevee, doduo, and venonat, as well as an egg. At level 3 now, so just 2 more until I can do gyms.

Matbtz

The fact that you need to have the app open (and screen on ?) at all time, is shutting me down a little. Don't want to drain my battery life

Robin64

My main concern with gaming on mobiles is always their shit battery life, and that's proven true once again. I can't afford for my battery to run out halfway through the day, this is also my phone.

My main concern with gaming on mobiles is always their shit battery life, and that's proven true once again. I can't afford for my battery to run out halfway through the day, this is also my phone.

All this battery talk concerns me considering my S7 battery seems to be shitty as it is...

DTJAAAAM

Had Google Play credit that I'm eager to burn through since it's been sitting there for months, so used them on coins. Made it to level 8 with 20 Pokemon caught and 6 gyms captured.

Zafir

Living in a village the pokespots seem pretty spread out. I imagine it's probably better in the city centre.

Cynar

Living in a village the pokespots seem pretty spread out. I imagine it's probably better in the city centre.
It's like ingress and seems to use ingress portals as the pokestops. So check out places of art, public buildings, cemeteries and parks.

JoeNut

I am hyped for this in the UK - will my job being one that means i travel a lot give me an advantage? i.e i go for a meeting and pick up a few pokemon while i'm there?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This shit is sorta barebones, and no tutorial makes the on boarding process hell.

Yet I'm already soooo in. Sooo fucking in.

Zafir

It's like ingress and seems to use ingress portals as the pokestops. So check out places of art, public buildings, cemeteries and parks.
Oh I'm aware of that. There just isn't that many public spots around where I live. I'm going to the local shopping centre later. Maybe there will be better.

Robin64

Yep, you can use www.ingress.com/intel to find neadby Pokéspots. For example, near me a Pokéspot was a t-rex statue, and sure enough there it is on the Ingress map too.

DtPRG0x.png

Polarburr

How's the app via apkmirror, etc going for you guys?

After playing for 30mins, I'm not seeing anymore Pokemon's nearby, nor gyms or pokestop. I just get a rotating grey pokeball in the upper left corner.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How's the app via apkmirror, etc going for you guys?

After playing for 30mins, I'm not seeing anymore Pokemon's nearby, nor gyms or pokestop. I just get a rotating grey pokeball in the upper left corner.

If you really want to catch stuff and you've cleared your area then use incense

zelas

To those who are concerned about battery and keeping your phone open, Nintendo already has an option in the works for you.

The Pokemon GO Plus wristband is available for pre-order on Amazon. Though it's listed with a release date of December 31 (meant to signify by Amazon that it's coming before the end of the year), during the Nintendo Treehouse livestream at E3 this week, Shigeru Miyamoto said the developer hopes to have the device ready by July.

The wearable accessory—which links to a smartphone via Bluetooth—is expected to cost $35. Players using the wristband will be able to catch wild Pokemon "with a simple click of a button," as well as collect in-game items at PokeStop locations without having to pull out a smartphone.

The Pokemon GO Plus will flash green and vibrate when Pokemon are nearby. After using the device to throw a PokeBall, it'll flash red to denote a failure or flash in a rainbow pattern for a success.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/17/e3-2016-pokemon-go-plus-wristband-available-for-pre-order

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Pokemon-Plus-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B01H482N6E

Just checking, still not out in the US, huh?

Kind of weird, I was expecting it overnight. I just hope we don't have to wait til next week like Miitomo......

Kyzer

Banned
two gyms right near me, one being the "Zen Garden" in the middle of my apartment complex!

put my 141 cp Raticate there. for now.

joined team mystic

eRonin

I found a CP 228 Magmar from the comfort of my bedroom chair, whoa. Now it's just back to showing me that there are pidgeys, zubats and caterpies just outside my apartment though. Wonder what caused such a strong Pokemon to appear. It broke free of a Pokeball 5 or 6 times before I caught it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the Google Play page says it requires Android 4.4, but my Galaxy S3 is on 4.3 and doesn't get any more updates. Looks like I'll be missing out.

Tillbo

My first impressions are not that great...

I don't seem to be able to 'zoom' very far out on the map to see if there are any Pokemon in areas near me? With Ingress I can view a much wider area?

In addition, there doesn't seem to be anything near me but that may be because it isn't launched in the UK yet and it hasn't been populated properly.

The main problem I have though is that it doesn't do anything in the background so you have to have the App running with the screen on to encounter Pokemon. I had hoped I could have the App running in the background and I would be alerted if I'm near to a Pokemon.

Also, took my dog for a 5 mile walk and encountered one Pokemon. Messing about with the App at my desk I found four in a much quicker time.

akileese

Is the .apk gonna stay updated just like an App downloaded through Google Play would?

No. You'll need to download it again off the playstore or use something like Qoo (which is typically used for playing games from foreign regions), which will absolutely see that you have it installed and updated.

Kyzer

Banned
I found a CP 228 Magmar from the comfort of my bedroom chair, whoa. Now it's just back to showing me that there are pidgeys, zubats and caterpies just outside my apartment though. Wonder what caused such a strong Pokemon to appear. It broke free of a Pokeball 5 or 6 times before I caught it.

looks like rare pokemon do enter your mix here and there. also ive used both incenses too and just chilled at home and both times i had a hot streak of rare pokemon at the end. got squirtle and eevee

Tillbo

No. You'll need to download it again off the playstore or use something like Qoo (which is typically used for playing games from foreign regions), which will absolutely see that you have it installed and updated.

Will that cause progress to be lost though?

Dragonkuni

Neo Member
Hey guys, just downloaded the APK for my S7, but accidentally disabled camera, anyone find the setting to turn it back on? It said I could but I can see anything in the settings.

Also first catch Squirtle, get in :D

As a long time Ingress player, Pokemon Go is an all too familiar experience. I haven't had a chance to try the gyms yet, but even the concept of leaving your Pokemon reminds me of putting defensive mods on portals.

Ingress was a lot of fun, but without the right community, it can be quick to lose its luster. So far, Go feels most like an Ingress re-skin. I haven't made up my mind if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

oti

Banned
As a long time Ingress player, Pokemon Go is an all too familiar experience. I haven't had a chance to try the gyms yet, but even the concept of leaving your Pokemon reminds me of putting defensive mods on portals.

Ingress was a lot of fun, but without the right community, it can be quick to lose its luster. So far, Go feels most like an Ingress re-skin. I haven't made up my mind if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

I liked the concept of Ingress but the look of the game was unappealing.

THIS IS POKEMANS!

Top Bottom