• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

deoee

I find it kind of hard to select different body parts at times.
Like pressing up on the stick selects nothing, pressing down selects the head but not always, the hardest is to aim at legs... I seem to get to them at random :D

Man, I'm pretty disappointed in this game after some early positive reception and even some good reviews. My experience with Lords of the Fallen isn't great -- I bought it and disliked it, so I figured this was an opportunity to give these guys a second chance. If it even matters, I'm a souls veteran, and I'm not really having any trouble with the game at this point difficulty-wise (On the fourth boss, however far that is into the game).

My biggest critique of it would be that I think it's dreadfully boring. Environments in these kinds of games are extremely, extremely important to not only the enjoyment of one's first run through (and of course, keeping subsequent playthroughs interesting). What I've seen so far is extraordinarily boring industrial design; and it's not the fact that every environment has a consistency to it that is bad. For example, a lot of the environments in Bloodborne felt tonally consistent to me; they are all dark and creepy gothic / lovecraftian worlds, but they evolve over time, making every area feel unique and driving the experience forward. You can easily build mental maps of these worlds into your head thanks to many instances of landmarks. Here, it's boring sci-fi hallway after boring sci-fi hallway. The way the environments are chained together is through non-descript hallways that all look essentially the same. There's nothing *in* the environments themselves that makes one wonder, or want to know more. I couldn't get interested in the world at all, and world-building is one of my favorite aspects of these games.

The combat here is equally dull, even if the mechanics behind how you level are novel-if-limiting. Enemies themselves have the *worst* tells I've seen in a game like this, making a player want to choose the safe strategies even if those strategies make the game more boring. When enemies do hit you, it's not with a satisfying thunk -- sometimes you can't even tell they made contact at all, with the dropping health bar the only indication that something has happened. Many enemies are unsatisfying to even fight, leading the player to avoid them at all times (and it is extraordinarily easy to avoid them -- Nioh this is not! They will stop chasing sometimes feet away from where you met them in battle). The worst are the many one-shot style enemies in the game; in most good games of this variety, big attacks have big tells. Here, don't be surprised if you die from the simplest-looking attack. The lack of inv frames overall can make this a frustrating experience for people who haven't gotten used to dying in other games like this. Except, in those games, it often feels 'tough but fair' -- here, enemies range from boring to fight to exceptionally cheesy.

Build variety is something I like in this kinds of games, and it's not here. Simply put, this is closer to Bloodborne, but perhaps even worse; differentiation comes from weapon and suit choices and nothing more. I'm sure someone will find this to be tenable, but for me it's just disappointing.

Bosses are, and I have to stress this, *horrible*. Complete piles of actual garbage, all of them gimmick bosses (with the exception of perhaps the one I'm fighting now, though even he has a gimmick component). Once you know their weakness, they are completely trivialized. This would be fine, except the lead up to them (the levels themselves) are so boring.

And fuck, I hate to shit on this game completely because there are 3 or 4 things it does that are brilliant. But the rest of the game ... feels like a complete waste of money and time : My dreams for a unique sci-fi Souls-esque game are in another castle.

Ummm, I have to say that I agree with all of your words. I think their idea is so cool for a game in this genre, but they really couldn't afford it. I watched some footages last night and it was pretty obvious that it would be so boring after a couple of hours.
I hope Miyazaki creates a game with this kind of universe.

Djostikk

This game is total garbage and comparing it with Souls games is totally disrespectful to masterpieces Miyazaki and From has created.

T.O.P

Banned
This game is total garbage and comparing it with Souls games is totally disrespectful to masterpieces Miyazaki and From has created.

38fblIIrHLMPe.gif

ChazGW7

You seem so offended by this game for some reason. Calling it garbage is pure hyperbole. It doesn't hold a candle to the DS series but overall i'd say its a pretty good game that does quite a few things really well.

Breathe. Inhale, exhale.

FiraB

Banned
Beat it.

Overall impression? Wait for a sale. I could post impressions right now but my bitterness at that last quarter of the game is filled with seething rage right now, waste of a game.

Djostikk

Someone was killed by a boss too often :v)

I just can't understand how this got all these scores. Bosses are utter shit, combat is clunky, little bit better Lords, but still bad. Level design is unintuitive and bland overall.

Doesn't deserve all 8 and 9 it got. I would say 5/10 for a wheelchair scene.

deoee

I just can't understand how this got all these scores. Bosses are utter shit, combat is clunky, little bit better Lords, but still bad. Level design is unintuitive and bland overall.

Doesn't deserve all 8 and 9 it got. I would say 5/10 for a wheelchair scene.

And I can't understand the hate.

Just beat the second boss and the environments are super labyrinth like with many many secrets, theres several quest people alone in this area and the bosses are engaging.

Also every enemy can be your death - thrilling!

The game has it's flaws, sure, but it does so many things right and better than any other ARPG I've played.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. For one, I actually like the mods systems it has. It's not necessarily new or unique, but basically it does make you choose the kind of upgrades you think are necessary given the situation (sometimes stacking tons of heals, other times picking one or two to aid in exploration, etc.) It's not super different from how DS3 for example will let you juggle mana potions with estus, but it's a bit more full-bodied.

In combat, the executions are really nice, and they play into the limb mechanic of the game which I also find to be a cool thing. Basically, I like finding blueprints by killing the enemies correctly instead of relying on RNG or vague exploration (there is, I think, *some* RNG, but not really noticeable).

And a big plus, 60 fps. Hats off to them for making it a reality; the game isn't especially pretty or anything, so it was an achievable thing, but considering how many devs leave it as an afterthought you gotta give them credit. Performance of the game is consistent and makes the combat feel responsive (even when, sadly, it's sometimes not).

That's about it. Everything else I really, really don't like.

edit: I don't want my post to make or break people's decision on the game. Lots of people are having fun with it, and reviews apparently aren't bad -- I think it just misses the forest for the trees in a lot of the things that make Souls-like games so memorable and fun to play. My opinion is just *1* opinion.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, I'm really enjoying Nioh in "action mode" at 60fps. I have a fairly strong stomach when it comes to performance/IQ, but it's always nice to play something that you know was made with a consistently high framerate in mind.

With the executions, can you turn off the cinematic camera and slow-mo? I immediately turned off the cinematic camera in Nioh, as I thought it took away from player control too much. I'm already kinda sick of the thick slow-mo blood (?) filling the screen with each of those forced Surge executions...

Regarding the bolded, you're not alone, and it doesn't hurt to say "wait for a sale" when those are perfectly valid critiques. We need to keep expectations in check, and for many, simply seeing the word "soulslike" can trigger unnecessary frenzy that throws caution and logic to the wind. You could potentially save some people a few monies and headaches! Especially when good to great games are in abundance and time becomes more of a luxury.

Jingo

Is there anyway to change the language on ps4? Im stuck with portuguese(brazilian) subtitles that i hate with all my guts. l

Sorry for the doublw post, but this is making me crazy with the subtitles, i dont find any lamguage change option

bati

This is so much better than LOTF and the 60fps is glorious. I am having some trouble with the first boss. I have been one shot (stomped?) a couple times. Gave up to go to bed. There is the one yellow enemy past the poison, does killing give anything good? I can't seem to defeat it.

Do poison patches there eventually end? I tried going both ways but it didn't seem like I could safely get to the other side.

*Splinter

Do poison patches there eventually end? I tried going both ways but it didn't seem like I could safely get to the other side.
They mean the small patch of poison outside (yellow enemy behind some bushes).

I forgot to explore the poison tunnels before I left. Might wait until level 55 so I can get the other locked door in that area.

Djostikk

And I can't understand the hate.

Just beat the second boss and the environments are super labyrinth like with many many secrets, theres several quest people alone in this area and the bosses are engaging.

Also every enemy can be your death - thrilling!

The game has it's flaws, sure, but it does so many things right and better than any other ARPG I've played.

You should try any Souls game and you'll notice the difference.

With the executions, can you turn off the cinematic camera and slow-mo? I immediately turned off the cinematic camera in Nioh, as I thought it took away from player control too much. I'm already kinda sick of the thick slow-mo blood (?) filling the screen with each of those forced Surge executions...

Not sure how turning it off takes any more/less control away from the player....
TBH not really sure how it takes any control away from the player, like would you say backstabs/parry in souls take away control from the player?

I can understand not liking it in the surge, as its something you are doing constantly and its slow.
But thats not the case in nioh at all, you should only use executions on ki-starved enemies if you need iframes.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You should try any Souls game and you'll notice the difference.

Deck13 has built on the successes and mistakes of Lords of the Fallen and have created something that is unique while also familiar in the Soulsborne ARPG genre. It shows that they have listened to the feedback from their previous game, and as a result crafted an epic sci-fi setting with outstanding level design and addictive combat systems and mechanics.

The Surge is flawed but between severing body parts for upgrades and makeshift hydraulic weapons, The Surge offers a satisfying take on the extremely difficult Soulsborne ARPGs.

A worthy challenger to the genre.

I would be quite surprised if anyone in this thread hasn't played at least one Souls game before.

Pretty much. I find it sad that some people seem upset by the fact that other games can exist and do well within this sub ARPG genre. If you ask me The Surge do a lot of neat new things Souls never did or attempted so I think it shows that they are very competent and just need to nail it all perfectly down like From have.

*Splinter

I played all of them several times.

Reading your stuff: you should play The Surge and don't watch make opinions on reviews or videos.
Hasn't he played? I thought he had finished the game based on his posts in here.

Did notice this from another poster though:
Ummm, I have to say that I agree with all of your words. I think their idea is so cool for a game in this genre, but they really couldn't afford it. I watched some footages last night and it was pretty obvious that it would be so boring after a couple of hours.
I hope Miyazaki creates a game with this kind of universe.
Lol

deoee

I haven't found it yet, but (speculation)
I just know the medicine guy is going to kill the other guy. Other guy is just too positive to survive long :p

Yeah I'm thinking the same. Also I kinda don't trust air-vent-lady but I gave her the 5000 so... let's see

This is so much better than LOTF and the 60fps is glorious. I am having some trouble with the first boss. I have been one shot (stomped?) a couple times. Gave up to go to bed. There is the one yellow enemy past the poison, does killing give anything good? I can't seem to defeat it.

Gives a gold coin and plenty amount of scrap.

TheKeyPit

Banned
What happens when you die? (I'm not that far, so I didn't die yet)

Is that orange bar on the bottom left the current leveling progress? What happens when you level up? I didn't pay attention to that yet.

It's probably already answered here somewhere, but what is the actual difference between vertical/horizontal? (one is a slower attack, does it do more damage? How does holding the attack button influence damage output; attacks get even slower then, so I guess that they deal more damage)

How many different weapon types are there?

*Splinter

I want a staff :(

I kept trying to kill the two staff-weilding enemies near the start of area 2, but you can't cheese them like I would in Souls, and I don't last long in a 1v2

bati

I want a staff :(

I kept trying to kill the two staff-weilding enemies near the start of area 2, but you can't cheese them like I would in Souls, and I don't last long in a 1v2

You can actually cheese them, same with the second set of those guys you meet a bit later. What you do is pull one with the drone, run back to the ops and when he starts to turn around to return to his patrol area you sprint behind him and perform the classic DS backstab move. You can also fight them the regular way, 1v1 it's not that hard.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Pretty good title. Dude even fits the Tom Cruise mold.

*Splinter

Is that orange bar on the bottom left the current leveling progress? What happens when you level up? I didn't pay attention to that yet.

It's probably already answered here somewhere, but what is the actual difference between vertical/horizontal? (one is a slower attack, does it do more damage? How does holding the attack button influence damage output; attacks get even slower then, so I guess that they deal more damage)

You return to the ops centre, and have a couple of minutes to get to your corpse to retrieve any currency you were holding.

Orange bar is weapon proficiency I think? So you get stronger with each weapon type the more you use it. Don't think there are any new attacks or anything, just more damage.

In general a horizontal attack will be side to side while vertical attacks will be up/down (or sometimes a straight thrust). Each weapon type has a few different combos based on mixing horizontal and vertical attacks, so it's best to experiment a bit. And yes there are some charged attacks but I think they have to be fully charged to get the bonus damage.

Not sure how many weapon types there are. I found 4 or 5 so far but that's just the first area.

I'm also a big fan of the souls games (played all of them several times since the release of demon's souls) and i still think there is some cool new stuff to be found in the surge.
I'm thankful for all games in this subgenre even if they don't reach the level of a dark souls.

deoee

Why don't you find out for yourself? :3

This is part of these games :D

The horizontal/vertical attacks help if you target a specific body part. If you stagger the enemy, an attack can miss that part, if you vary your attacks tho you can almost always keep hitting one part.

Roussow

Couldn't find the meds for the dude in the second area, on top of that I swung at the quest giver in the ops room by accident, the hit didn't kill him, but he was gone the next time I spawned, so I ditched that quest. Couldn't be fucked fightning the security guys for a polearm for that woman, I just moved onto the the third area -- I can tell this playtrough won't be comprehensive.

Ducarmel

Watched my cousin play a little last night on the ps4, I think it looks cool at a glance so far, but I have not seen a wow moment yet. I will try it for myself and see if its a buy for the pc version for me, however reading gaf impressions have me leaning towards steam sale.

*Splinter

Try to attract one of them with the drone.
Yeah I was trying this, but as soon as you hit one of them the other starts running towards you, and I could never kill the first one quick enough.

You can actually cheese them, same with the second set of those guys you meet a bit later. What you do is pull one with the drone, run back to the ops and when he starts to turn around to return to his patrol area you sprint behind him and perform the classic DS backstab move. You can also fight them the regular way, 1v1 it's not that hard.
Doh I didn't realise there was a backstab move.

Skulldead

The game look great, i said the same thing for lord of the fallen, i was kinda disappointing. But i don't know the futuristic style here kinda look great. Also this is kinda challenging compare to lord of the fallen ? (please no soul comparison)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't get it why is game only few GB...what were they thinking? And it supposed to be really short?

I'd rather a smaller game than a larger one file size if possible. Its also like a 20 hour game for most people so its not short.

I don't want to go through all of the OT just to not spoil the game too much 'if' I do end up buying it.

Could someone compare and contrast the fighting style with LoTF? When I picked that up it felt like playing a Tank build in souls which isn't my preferred style. How does The Surge play? Like a tank? Can you increase speed of movement at all?

Would really appreciate any input on just that please.

Top Bottom