• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Blablurn

You know, I love the story aspect of it. Seeing this all from a more realistic way. Kratos facing his demons, people telling him that this is nit Greece etc.

I like how it seems that Kratos being an outsider to the culture is gonna be a plot point.

But am I the only one that thinks they missed a huge storytelling opportunity by making Kratos' kid a boy?

Ploid 3.0

God of War looks insane. Interesting that the World Serpent is maybe going to help them and not be some crazy fight.

Helscream

Banned
still not sold on the simplified watered down gameplay, I need some 10 minute direct feed footage

Agreed. It seems like they are going to "Last of Us" route and focusing on story instead of gameplay. Which is stupid because GoW's legacy was its badass gameplay.

I think the combat is gonna be a lot more fun than people are expecting. More deliberate positioning and attack timing and combo usage and ish. The camera perspective makes it seem a lil janky, but it looks a lot more fun than the tired hack and slash lite formula.

Kill3r7

Kind of disappointed that this is slipping into 2018. It would have been the perfect game to cap an amazing 2017.

Smoke and mirrors, bruhs. Smoke and mirrors.
Shog will eat crow until Death Stranding's release

Fucking great trailer. Looks amazing. Kratos had some different clothes and that looked really interesting. Also shield! Can't fucking wait.

I think the combat is gonna be a lot more fun than people are expecting. More deliberate positioning and attack timing and combo usage and ish. The camera perspective makes it seem a lil janky, but it looks a lot more fun than the tired hack and slash lite formula.

Yeah, it looks weighty, a bit more like Souls than the weightless combat of the previous games.

Velikost

That trailer was downright incredible. The highlight of the conference by a freaking mile. How the hell did a God of War game end up looking so good.

God of War was always good.

I'm still not sold on this; seeing weird beard Kratos wield an axe with a kid.... ehhhhh. I'm sure it'll be good, but I dunno if they'll ever top 3

Duxxy3

So, legitimate question here: is this what God of War fans were hoping for? I've never really played the series but I was surprised to see how big a departure it seemed. The hyper-macho tone and snappy beat-'em-up gameplay, with big cool setpieces, always seemed like the main appeal to me. And a more standard, third-person action game with a quiet father/son story looks like a HUGE departure.

Looks good and all, but not at all what I expected when I saw Kratos pop up.

I've loved and finished every God of War game (ok, ascension was sorta crap, but I did finish it).

I don't like what they've done to this series I've loved so much. I don't like the Camera. I don't like combat. I don't like story or how it's told.

This does not feel like a God of War game to me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I wasn't even interested in this but what they showed today sold me..it looks amazing...easily the highlight of an underwhelming conference IMO.

BHK3

Banned
What trailer did you watch?

The one they showed at the conference. You know, for the new, story focused God of War? Where it's 3rd person and you swing your weapon aimlessly like every other AAA cookie cutter game out there like LOTR and AC...

So, legitimate question here: is this what God of War fans were hoping for? I've never really played the series but I was surprised to see how big a departure it seemed. The hyper-macho tone and snappy beat-'em-up gameplay, with big cool setpieces, always seemed like the main appeal to me. And a more standard, third-person action game with a quiet father/son story looks like a HUGE departure.

Looks good and all, but not at all what I expected when I saw Kratos pop up.

There have been a ton of GOW games spanning across ps2/ps3/psp. Don't get me wrong I love all of them(Yes including ascension), but this is the change the series needed desperately If they decided to continue making more of them. I love the elements that this one introduces, and its breath of fresh air. This is how you build upon an 11 year old IP and keep it fresh and relevant. CANNOT WAIT to play this next year.

Whales

Banned
Yeah, it looks weighty, a bit more like Souls than the weightless combat of the previous games.

Combat looked nothing like Souls though, people need to stop comparing every game to it

Game looks fun. Not a fan of the "son" thing but eh... Looks more fun than the old hack n slashes to me.

I've loved and finished every God of War game (ok, ascension was sorta crap, but I did finish it).

I don't like what they've done to this series I've loved so much. I don't like the Camera. I don't like combat. I don't like story or how it's told.

This does not feel like a God of War game to me.

No need to buy it then. I just save you $60, let us enjoy new GoW fresh

Hydrus

Looks great, but I dont know, it kind of doesn't have that God of War charm. Like someone else said, GOW was awesome because of its setting. I'm not really feeling the Norse stuff. Should of went with Egyptian. But I'm still excited tho.

Darknight

kXUPSpy.gif

That almost looks like CGI. Damn wizards. Must be running on Pro.

Noctix

Graphics were just unreal, i was hoping for a live demo :( Hopefully gamescom will show kratos fight some huge monster

Got mixed feelings about it. Didn't really feel much like Kratos to me (which I never expected to find myself saying after I hated GoW3 Kratos), and I wouldn't get a PS4 for it, but I might grab it on sale whenever I do.

Woltaire

Neo Member
Kind of wish they kept the same voice actor. Looks interesting though and very different from previous iterations.

Combat looked nothing like Souls though, people need to stop comparing every game to it

Game looks fun. Not a fan of the "son" thing but eh... Looks more fun than the old hack n slashes to me.

In terms of perspective, dodge rolling and more weighty melee combat I mean.

Top Bottom