• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Arcade Archives Series for Nintendo Switch |OT|

Don't sleep on Vs ExciteBike even if you don't like the original. It's so good. It is unfortunately missing the classic title screen jingle and the classic victory jingle from the original game but other than that it's better than the original in pretty much every conceivable way all while still giving ExciteBike fans the nostalgic feels you would get from playing the original ExciteBike. I personally find the original ExciteBike hard to go back to but I really like Vs ExciteBike. While the gameplay is essentially the same there were just some smart additions and improvements made to Vs ExciteBike that really flesh the game out.

Danneee

Ok Mario Bros is not very good. I had forgotten that the jumping physics are like a bad version of the one in Ice Climber.

I'm just listening to the beastcast and they were saying how they were glad Nintendo was getting away from selling old classic games at high prices. Opps!

I really want original Donkey Kong

Thats the only one I want. And its the one that will never come out.

lol what did any of you expect
WARNING: rhetorical question, I know you wanted 99 cents

I was hoping for something like all of them for $25 or something like that as a collection.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
Just bought Mario Bros. today. With the 30% off eshop card from pcgamesupply, it comes out to only $5.59.

Mario Bros. was the first game I bought with my own money on the NES. I saw the arcade version later and was blown away. It had bigger sprites and more animation frames. I was amazed seeing all the additional details that were not in the NES version.
  • The warp pipes animate when an enemy pops out.
  • The shellcreepers (turtles) jump out of their shell when they get back up from being flipped.
  • The enemies spin as you kick them off the stage.
  • Different death animations (e.g. mario would appear burnt or frozen if he touched a fireball or freezie).
As a kid I always dreamed of having the arcade versions of these games at home. It is great that these games are being released on Switch.

VS. Super Mario Bros. is another game I fell in love with at the arcades. I loved all the changes that were made to make it more challenging; it was basically the hard mode version of the game. I could never get passed world 6-3 back then. I can't wait to get that next.

Jazzem

Saw a stream of this where the leaderboards didn't appear to have a friend filter :(

Gah, it can't be that hard to implement surely?

HYDE

Banned
How is the sound in this game? Playing Mario Bros. & Donkey Kong on arcade cabinets featured amazing audio.

I feel like I'm the only person who was like.. "sweet. Mario Bros in arcade perfect form, finally, in something other than a crack version on the C64."

Because the NES port is garbage and the versions in SMB3 and the SMA series have incorrect physics. This one also has online leaderboards. It's been a struggle to keep in the top 30. I bought the Hori fight stick and changed out to more accurate arcade parts for this title. Also, most of the people in the leader boards are above the single player records at Twin Galaxies. Which kind of inspires me a bit as I realized that I'm legit good at this game. I'm looking forward to the other VS games because these were the Nintendo games I played. I didn't own an NES until the 1990s. I owned a SNES before I owned an NES.

Most of the people complaining about the price have never played this game. They've played garbage ports of the game and think this is the same game.

It would be nice to get arcade perfect Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, and the ACA Bubble Bobble at some point though. Also, the fact that we have Arcade Perfect Neo Geo and Nintendo on a tabletop two player anywhere system is fantastic.

Any idea what's next and when it's out? Was hoping this would be weekly starting with Mario Bros.

I want Punch Out!!! by the end of the month.

How is the sound in this game? Playing Mario Bros. & Donkey Kong on arcade cabinets featured amazing audio.

Disappointing honestly. It sounds tinny. It sounds accurate, but I think it looses something in translation to this hardware. Those cabinets had booming audio systems.

I feel like I'm the only person who was like.. "sweet. Mario Bros in arcade perfect form, finally, in something other than a crack version on the C64."

Because the NES port is garbage and the versions in SMB3 and the SMA series have incorrect physics. This one also has online leaderboards. It's been a struggle to keep in the top 30. I bought the Hori fight stick and changed out to more accurate arcade parts for this title. Also, most of the people in the leader boards are above the single player records at Twin Galaxies. Which kind of inspires me a bit as I realized that I'm legit good at this game. I'm looking forward to the other VS games because these were the Nintendo games I played. I didn't own an NES until the 1990s. I owned a SNES before I owned an NES.

Most of the people complaining about the price have never played this game. They've played garbage ports of the game and think this is the same game.

It would be nice to get arcade perfect Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, and the ACA Bubble Bobble at some point though. Also, the fact that we have Arcade Perfect Neo Geo and Nintendo on a tabletop two player anywhere system is fantastic.

Europe got a better NES post in the SNES era, called "Mario Bros. - Classic Serie(s)" adapted from Return of Mario Bros. from Famicom Disk System but without the weird ramen noodles advertisements between stages and stuff. Both are apparently much more accurate to the arcade versions.

Unfortunately, we only keep getting the early-80s NES port in the digital realm, until now.

b3b0p

Just bought Mario Bros. today. With the 30% off eshop card from pcgamesupply, it comes out to only $5.59.

Mario Bros. was the first game I bought with my own money on the NES. I saw the arcade version later and was blown away. It had bigger sprites and more animation frames. I was amazed seeing all the additional details that were not in the NES version.
  • The warp pipes animate when an enemy pops out.
  • The shellcreepers (turtles) jump out of their shell when they get back up from being flipped.
  • The enemies spin as you kick them off the stage.
  • Different death animations (e.g. mario would appear burnt or frozen if he touched a fireball or freezie).
As a kid I always dreamed of having the arcade versions of these games at home. It is great that these games are being released on Switch.

VS. Super Mario Bros. is another game I fell in love with at the arcades. I loved all the changes that were made to make it more challenging; it was basically the hard mode version of the game. I could never get passed world 6-3 back then. I can't wait to get that next.

Very similar experience. It's been a long while since I last played the arcade version, but I also remember the controls being much tighter and physics improved. Making it almost like a completely new game, to me anyway. I remember being absolutely in love with it and in awe.

Europe got a better NES post in the SNES era, called "Mario Bros. - Classic Serie(s)" adapted from Return of Mario Bros. from Famicom Disk System but without the weird ramen noodles advertisements between stages and stuff. Both are apparently much more accurate to the arcade versions.

Unfortunately, we only keep getting the early-80s NES port in the digital realm, until now.

I have this version, and after spending a little time with the arcade original the last few days I think I can safely say this PAL version is the best of the bunch. It has the frantic pace of the arcade game but with much more refined jumping mechanics a la Super Mario Bros. Definitely worth tracking down if you’re a collector.

Regarding my comment on the audio earlier, it is a little better with headphones, or on the big screen. Go to the audio menu and bring up the mids and turn on the first reverb setting.

clem84

Gold Member
Has the arcade version of Super Mario Bros. ever been released on consoles? I'm guessing it probably has. It was more difficult than the console version. I remember some of the world 6 levels being terribly difficult in the arcade and being of average difficulty on the NES.

KingBroly

Banned
Has the arcade version of Super Mario Bros. ever been released on consoles? I'm guessing it probably has. It was more difficult than the console version. I remember some of the world 6 levels being terribly difficult in the arcade and being of average difficulty on the NES.

Nope. It was never released on Nintendo systems. Neither has that version of Punch-Out

Some of the replacement stages in Vs. Super Mario Bros. made it into Super Mario Bros. 2 JP: The Lost Levels. But the alterations to the SMB1 levels haven't had a home release before.

I used to have the Vs. SMB cabinet in the house I lived in. So I played it a lot. The buttons suck because if you played with index finger for "B" and middle finger for "A", keeping your fingers on the buttons made your hand ache by game's end from holding them juuuust too far apart. Or at least, it sure did mine. Maybe I was meant to use index for "B" and kinda slap "A" with the other 3 fingers?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Has the arcade version of Super Mario Bros. ever been released on consoles? I'm guessing it probably has.
Faithful ports of Nintendo's arcade games have almost never happened before this series of releases started. Which is insane.

Ninja Dom

Some of the replacement stages in Vs. Super Mario Bros. made it into Super Mario Bros. 2 JP: The Lost Levels. But the alterations to the SMB1 levels haven't had a home release before.

I used to have the Vs. SMB cabinet in the house I lived in. So I played it a lot. The buttons suck because if you played with index finger for "B" and middle finger for "A", keeping your fingers on the buttons made your hand ache by game's end from holding them juuuust too far apart. Or at least, it sure did mine. Maybe I was meant to use index for "B" and kinda slap "A" with the other 3 fingers?

You got any pics of the Vs. SMB cab? What happened to it? I would love to own one of these!!!

You got any pics of the Vs. SMB cab? What happened to it? I would love to own one of these!!!

It belongs to a friend of mine, but I used to be part owner since I helped him pay for it. He paid me back by giving me a Famicom and a Disk System.

If I have any photos they're feature-phone quality, since it was well before I had a smartphone. It was, I believe, a Donkey Kong conversion because the sides were that sky blue color. I think it probably just had the Vs. Unisystem art on the side? It definitely wasn't any cool Mario art, it just had the Vs. SMB marquee and maybe a how-to-play banner at the bottom of the display?.

EDIT: As for its fate, my friend let it stay at my next workplace, a video-and-board-game store, until there wasn't suitable space for it. Then it went to a comics-and-board-game store, and then it went to... I believe... storage somewhere? It has some hardware problem that's developed and I can't remember what, so it's currently not in service.

HYDE

Banned
Disappointing honestly. It sounds tinny. It sounds accurate, but I think it looses something in translation to this hardware. Those cabinets had booming audio systems.

Aaaw man:( Thanks for answering, was one of the huge reasons I loved the original MB & DK.

Ninja Dom

It belongs to a friend of mine, but I used to be part owner since I helped him pay for it. He paid me back by giving me a Famicom and a Disk System.

If I have any photos they're feature-phone quality, since it was well before I had a smartphone. It was, I believe, a Donkey Kong conversion because the sides were that sky blue color. I think it probably just had the Vs. Unisystem art on the side? It definitely wasn't any cool Mario art, it just had the Vs. SMB marquee and maybe a how-to-play banner at the bottom of the display?.

EDIT: As for its fate, my friend let it stay at my next workplace, a video-and-board-game store, until there wasn't suitable space for it. Then it went to a comics-and-board-game store, and then it went to... I believe... storage somewhere? It has some hardware problem that's developed and I can't remember what, so it's currently not in service.

Nintendo arcade machines did have a very distinct look to them. Especially after Donkey Kong. And later Nintendo arcade games were indeed converted Donkey Kong cabs. Donkey Kong was such a successful arcade game that it sold loads of cabs. But as it’s popularity faded the cabs that were still out there had to be used for something. Newer more popular games.

As much as Super Mario Bros was a success on home systems, the Vs arcade version didn’t really make an impact on the arcade scene.

Mario Bros. is currently #3 on the NA eShop Best Seller chart, right behind Stardew Valley and Golf Story.

Seems the Switch audience is responding favorably to the $8 price tag.

Vuci

I don't really know the best thread to post this in, but is anyone else worried that the success of the Mini consoles puts the SNES/NES Virtual Console on Switch in danger?

It would be so sad if Star Fox 2 will never be released on the Switch.

MattVT

What happened to these? We got Mario Bros. months ago, but nothing since then. I didn’t expect releases to be so far apart.

Has there been any news about when more are coming? I check the eshop every week only to be disappointed.

Andyliini

Heads up. Nintendo is releasing the original Arcade Donkey Kong on Switch. This marks the first time the original arcade version has been rereleased. I wonder if it has kill-screen intact.

The Switch release includes three different versions of the game, too.

Heads up. Nintendo is releasing the original Arcade Donkey Kong on Switch. This marks the first time the original arcade version has been rereleased. I wonder if it has kill-screen intact.

The Switch release includes three different versions of the game, too.

Holy shit. I thought these would never get out due to that code rights issue so did that get resolved?

I dearly want this and DK Jr. as I can still remember being 5 and begging for quarters to play these.

And now I actually have some hope for Popeye.

Top Bottom