• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve battles review-bombers by introducing review histograms

finalflame

Gold Member
Maybe Neogaf can have a timeline slider for topics so we can see when people start to shitpost?

Maybe we can rate each others' posts so the good ones float to the top and the bad ones sink to the bottom. Something like "uprating" and "downr -- oh wait.

What an absolutely wonderful update. It provides exactly what I need to know. Hektor's post on the previous page sums it up beautifully- the info is there for you, it's not shoved down your throats, you'll still need to think, but isn't that what you want?

spad3

See histograms are great and all, but what they really need is a reinforced tag system in the reviews. If you rate a game 1 star to 5 stars, you must be required to input a minimum of 5-10 tags for the game that related to your review (or the tags are automatically pulled from your written review, either or) and it'll become easier to parse through the legit reviews/troll reviews.

Having reviewer validation levels would also help. It pains me to say this, but Yahoo! Answers does a good job of ranking responders based off of frequency and helpfulness. Implementing a rank system to reviewers with validity checks based off of helpfulness and upvotes alongside the tag parsing system in reviews would help their system significantly.

Hell, they can even monetize it if they want by adding optional Review Backgrounds that allow you to customize your posted review's appearance in the same manner that Profile Wallpapers are given. Incentivize good behavior.

Unless this will be filled by every user manually (which in turn means that anyone will be able to write anything there), showing this data will probably break Valve's privacy statement.

Simple checkbox on a review.

"Click here to hide your pc hardware info"

doesn't suffice?

ItIsOkBro

i still think there should be human intervention if
a) a relatively large number of negative reviews appear
b) within the span of a couple of days
c) and not within the span of a recent update/patch

Like GTA V?

Why not? If something is getting bombed somebody should investigate it. If it's determined to be in bad faith then action taken against the actors.

Bombing GTAIV because of what Rockstar did wouldn't register as being in bad faith. It's a legitimate reaction to something that affects the game.

spad3

Are you sure you're talking about Steam here? You don't rate a game by stars, you either recommend it or don't recommend it.

Regardless, your suggestion won't actually do anything to prevent review-bombers. Your system is still prone to abuse and would invalidate a lot of legitimate reviews.

I'm talking about a rating system for user reviews, not the game. The game is rated by recommend or don't recommend, but user reviews have no parsing method to check for troll or not.

By introducing a tag system, Valve can auto-check for troll reviews/filter reviews to aggregate a more valid score. Troll reviews hurt game sales if the overall recommendation of the game goes from "Overwhelmingly Positive" to "Very Positive" to "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed" so by being able to filter reviews for specific tags, you can create a more validated score.

I'll give you an example of what I mean:

The precedent example now is Firewatch. The game got review bombed for the PewDiePie incident and almost all the negative reviews (aka Do Not Recommend) referred to the dev as "whiny" "SJW" "DMCA" The theoretical tag system would auto-generate tags for the reviews based on usage (similar to how Steam already does for games genres) and it would allow Valve to remove the impact those particular reviews have on the overall recommendation status of the game. This would prevent trolls from nuking game reviews/hurting sales and you wouldn't be affecting the review pool at all as the blacklisted tags wouldn't affect reviews that don't carry the negative content.

Sure someone can review bomb something and not use specific keywords, but with the timeline functionality, you can cross-reference review updates with patch releases/content releases to negate any reviews that were altered outside patches/content pushes that utilize specific keywords/phrases.

Not saying it's easy, I'm saying it's doable and even though it may not be 100% accurate, it can help diffuse the nukers.

Top Bottom