• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Meccs

The question is how they go from here. Split the development (I know it was made by a different team apparently) to support both modes or will they focus on one if the notice that it is more popular? This looks currently similar to a H1Z1 situation. The question also is if you can fill games with 100 people quickly after a few weeks/month. Even if it goes F2P, it's not on Steam which turns people off. The BR mode looks promising though, especially since you have building which gives it huge potential imho, especially over copy and paste PUBG clones.

Tei

Neo Member
This is not like Destiny, where you can play the pve with weapons you got in pvp and pvp with weapons found on the pve.

Theres very little integration that would made much sense.

In PUBG some persistent character would made sense. Where your character unlock new hats and stuff. But in Fortnite we play a invisible commander that watch over everything, and the heroes are like hats we wear temporally. We never see our own character in fornite, we never see the commander.

Theres very reason to have both games really live under the same launcher. If they accidentally made a awesome PUBG clone, they should have made a separate game, maybe gift cd-keys to everyone that bought Fortnite.

*head scratching*

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If they can keep from adding f2p card mechanics to BR, improve gunplay, add character rewards (skins, clothing, etc) for progression, add leaderboards, and duo/squad modes I have a feeling Fortnite will be known as a BR game with a weird grindy PVE side mode.

This will be H1Z1 all over again. I wonder how many middling or outright failing games are going to try and get people to keep come back with a BR mode?

Redshirt

Banned
I'm not sure Fornite will ever be known for BR. Look at the Twitch presence one day after the sponsored streams.

One way I do suspect some crossover is earning llamas from BR games and perhaps some cosmetics that can only be earned from event packs in PvE mode.

arimanius

If they can keep from adding f2p card mechanics to BR, improve gunplay, add character rewards (skins, clothing, etc) for progression, add leaderboards, and duo/squad modes I have a feeling Fortnite will be known as a BR game with a weird grindy PVE side mode.

This will be H1Z1 all over again. I wonder how many middling or outright failing games are going to try and get people to keep come back with a BR mode?

I didn't think fortnite was failing.Thought it was doing pretty good actually?

I'm almost out of Stonewood finally. I solo'd all six storm shield missions with the worst base ever lol

Edit: annnnnnd im in Plankerton. Probably going to take another big break from the game after this.

Meccs

I continue to watch some streams. Still not sure whether or not I should buy it for the BR mode. No one knows how much they'll support this part of the game. From reading the devs comments in the forum you get the impression that they just wanted to add some additional value to the game. It doesn't sound like this will get much additional attention.

I'm almost out of Stonewood finally. I solo'd all six storm shield missions with the worst base ever lol

Edit: annnnnnd im in Plankerton. Probably going to take another big break from the game after this.

Stormwood defenses don't get difficult til like 9 or 10.

Plank defenses get difficult at like 3 or 4.

I continue to watch some streams. Still not sure whether or not I should buy it for the BR mode. No one knows how much they'll support this part of the game. From reading the devs comments in the forum you get the impression that they just wanted to add some additional value to the game. It doesn't sound like this will get much additional attention.

We simply don't know yet. Part of the message you might be reading into is the devs trying to calm the people who assume the PVE side will be totally ignored now.

Redshirt

Banned
Free people upgrade llama until 8pm EDT.

Mine went silver. Maybe they all do? Never bough a non-super people pack. But best card was a rare. :/

So is this a good time to buy the game or should I wait for f2p? Why is it buy to play now and f2p later anyway?

Id also like to get the 15 euros more version, so I can give a code to a friend. But still debating on that.

Id love to try the game but im not sure if I should spend the 30 bucks.

Redshirt

Banned
So is this a good time to buy the game or should I wait for f2p? Why is it buy to play now and f2p later anyway?

Id also like to get the 15 euros more version, so I can give a code to a friend. But still debating on that.

You need to buy Super Deluxe to get a free copy, so the difference is more like €50 not €15.

If you're on the fence and have waited this long, I'd just wait until it goes F2P.

The core game is good, but the grind has issues, and whether Epic has its priorities in order is a matter of debate.

edgefusion

Game is riddled with issues that the developers are sleeping on. Definitely wait for it to go F2P, don't waste your money on this.

I think it's a solid buy now. Of course it's not perfect but it's developed enough to be worth paying for.

arimanius

I bought it for the BR which I think it's a great Arcady change of pace from PUBG. I just started playing the pve this morning and so far it's fun. I think most complants are because of the grind at high end play.

Meccs

So I bought the game because of PvP. I have not played one minute of PvP because I just wanted to check out the PvE and now I can not stop playing it lol I bought the Deluxe version. Game is great so far.

Lettuce

On the shield defense missions is there a way to destruct your defenses rather than just destroying them?. wish there was a perk that could be used to get all your resources back and re start building your base as ive made some dumb mistakes which now would be too costly to undo

https://kotaku.com/epic-accidentall...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Oops, it looks like for a brief few hours PS4 and Xbox One cross-play was available in Fortnite. Now, Fortnite developer Epic Games says that feature was actually a bug, which the studio is referring to as a ”configuration issue" that it says it has fixed.

On the shield defense missions is there a way to destruct your defenses rather than just destroying them?. wish there was a perk that could be used to get all your resources back and re start building your base as ive made some dumb mistakes which now would be too costly to undo

Unfortunately no. The best you can do is edit it to a small state which reduces it's hp and then smack it to death.

Severance

Finally jumped in and bought Fortnite. I was really interested when it first came out, but I had so much to play at the time. All the news about Battle Royale reminded me that Fortnite exists. I've been having a blast so far playing mostly PvE. It sure is a grind, but that's okay for me. I got suckered into buying the Hero Llama because I only have all rare levels heroes. Who do I get? Legendary Trailblaster Buzz. All I can think to myself is, why would I ever play this hero? I've only been playing a week and I can see how flawed the fragment system is. I have no doubt the Shock Tower and Teddy abilities are insanely strong with a max level Trailblaster. But what do you have when you use your fragments? Nothing at all. I don't know, I'd kind of like to level up my Trailblaster to see a Shock Tower and Teddy in full form. I bet they are stronger than any other abilities on their own. But is it really worth it? I could invest all those points into a solder and have better, sustainable damage

Redshirt

Banned
Fwiw, Trailblaster Buzz is a good support hero for primary constructors that use Decoy.

But yeah, I'm not crazy about any of the Outlanders as primaries and only use them when farming or a daily quest requires it.

Severance

Fwiw, Trailblaster Buzz is a good support hero for primary constructors that use Decoy.

But yeah, I'm not crazy about any of the Outlanders as primaries and only use them when farming or a daily quest requires it.

I can see that. Dropping a Decoy, then using TEDDY and/or Shock Tower on the horde.. that could be game changing. I guess I'd need to play more but, fragments worry me. They're not always where you need them, and then when you run out... I'd like to see an ability to generate one fragment on demand when you have none for the "Oh shit." moment, even with a long, long cooldown.

Can Epic somehow fix the system for PS4, so the invite works? because having shadows crossplay that few people use is cool, but having the feature of Ps4 to play with Ps4 in a smooth workflow would be cooler.

I don't actually believe that crossplay is an officially supported feature. I think it is just something that works that they allow to work right now because the engine/servers just supports it naturally.

Kei-

Posted in the BR thread but will post here as well:

Paragon founders can now play the Battle Royale mode for free. Access to the single player/co-op mode still requires you to purchase early access. This is a nice gesture to their Paragon players. The Battle Royale mode will probably go F2P before the other mode as well.

Redshirt

Banned
I can see that. Dropping a Decoy, then using TEDDY and/or Shock Tower on the horde.. that could be game changing. I guess I'd need to play more but, fragments worry me. They're not always where you need them, and then when you run out... I'd like to see an ability to generate one fragment on demand when you have none for the "Oh shit." moment, even with a long, long cooldown.

When you use Tr. Buzz in support for a constructor, you just have the electrified decoy. No teddies or shock towers (because she's not actually in play, just supporting.)

And yep, you've pretty much nailed a big problem with outlanders

Severance

When you use Tr. Buzz in support for a constructor, you just have the electrified decoy. No teddies or shock towers (because she's not actually in play, just supporting.)

And yep, you've pretty much nailed a big problem with outlanders

Ohhh I see! Thanks for clearing it up. I've still much to learn. Can't wait to put my legendary hero into support of better heroes, hah. It's too bad. I was optimistic about Outlander starting out. Good things it's an early access game. I'm sure there will eventually be lots more changes to come

Posted in the BR thread but will post here as well:

Paragon founders can now play the Battle Royale mode for free. Access to the single player/co-op mode still requires you to purchase early access. This is a nice gesture to their Paragon players. The Battle Royale mode will probably go F2P before the other mode as well.

So now BR can kill Paragon too. Welcome to the party....

I just got to canny and it's a shame how unfinished it is.

Meccs

So I have played a bit more of PvE but the constant need to gather stuff is killing my fun. Especially the bullet crafting and the need for wood to do so. Why do I need wood to craft bullets?
I feel like I am spending 80% gathering and 20% building and killing stuff. This is way to tedious if it continues that way.

This was posted on Reddit:
Hey all,

There’s a lot happening right now. We want to acknowledge and address concerns that you have continued to express since launch. We haven’t successfully been updating all of you on the cadence or with the detail that we want and that you desire. Improvements will be seen starting now and going forward.

Here is what are we working on for Save the World:

Big updates are coming.
Horde Bash will release before 10/17, with 4 new heroes, 9 new scavenger weapons, and new quests. Challenge the Horde game mode previously named Block Party, will give you instant action defenses. You pre-build your fort, then team up together for wave based defenses with a growing array of mutations to challenge your skill.

Halloween update will be released on or before 10/31 and include a new Hexsylvania location on the world during the event which includes a new spooky biome, along with 8 Halloween Heroes, and new quests with specific rewards.
More ways to get the Heroes and Schematics you want.

Every event will have new quests that provide specific rewards.
Our plan for the December update we will add the ability to directly purchase a selection of items with event currency. Different selections will be available for each event.

Before the end of the year we will be adding the ability to gain additional control over the type alterations on weapons and using transforms to target more specific types of items.

Improving Global Chat throughout the rest of the year.
Adding ability to see all people currently in Global Chat, yes there are 250 players in each.
Add ability to directly report players from chat.
Fix invites from chat on console.
Exploring ways to improve the number of talking players in chat. Exiting and joining channels is one simple solution.

To the question of how we plan to address negative players.
First, we ban the serial offenders, then we build game mechanics that encourage all of us to be good to each other. We need to reward players for working together to complete game objectives.
This year we will add a karma system as a first step in creating rewards for being great to each other. The thumbs ups at end of game will be used to start each individual's karma. We’ll work to make it non-gameable. We don’t have all the details yet, design is in progress. Please send us your ideas via feedback on things we can tie good behavior to.

In future posts and videos, we will continue to talk more specifically about our direction. We agree that we’ve been quiet about specific issues and plan to address questions head on. Stay tuned for more communication!

Thank you all for your support and participation. Feedback is always accepted and appreciated.

Zak Phelps
Executive Producer
Probably in response to the shitstorm that BR has caused

Our plan for the December update we will add the ability to directly purchase a selection of items with event currency. Different selections will be available for each event.

Neat.

Adding ability to see all people currently in Global Chat, yes there are 250 players in each.

OMG empty chat rooms! lul

Of course most of those people are in games atm.

Redshirt

Banned
So I have played a bit more of PvE but the constant need to gather stuff is killing my fun. Especially the bullet crafting and the need for wood to do so. Why do I need wood to craft bullets?
I feel like I am spending 80% gathering and 20% building and killing stuff. This is way to tedious if it continues that way.

Wood for bullets is just game mechanics rather than logical.

Once you get over the initial hump, crafting ammo is pretty easy. I'm hardly ever not at max ammo across the board.

The gathering-to-building/fighting ratio is off imo. People have been complaining since launch, but I wouldn't say it's 80/20 bad.

It's definitely harder in the beginning when your pickaxe sucks, your inventory is small and so forth.

You need an outlander jess for farming but yeah we've been telling them to reduce the costs of everything for a long time. They make bungie look responsive.

Email says founders who bought prior to today get this glider and umbrella (if you win a BR) for BR.

Screenshot_20170920-214500.png

Is there an announcement thread that fortnite BR is going f2p on all platforms on the 26th?

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...67471-fortnite-battle-royale-free-sept-26-faq

Yes, starting on September 26. We launched a public test and it worked better than we expected. We want the game to reach as many players as possible, so we decided to release Battle Royale for free sooner than we anticipated.

With squads

Squads. Where are the squads?
Squads are coming 9/26. We'll share more details in the Fortnite Release Notes.

edit:
Ok found it

PC. Game always launches on my secondary monitor (an old 1280x1024 monitor which Windows identifies as #2). Can't find any way around it other than literally unplugging that monitor. Anyone happen to have luck with any other fixes? I've tried switching the secondary to be the primary in Windows, all manner of putting the game into windowed mode and then back to fullscreen/borderless, etc.

Slayven

How is PvE handled? Is it presistant meaning you build a base and it can be attacked when you are not playing it or is it like matches?

Top Bottom