• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else worried that Death Stranding's story is going to be too "crazy"?

I'm hoping more like MGS I-IV and not at all like V. Yes, Metal Gear could get weird. But I feel like most of the time it wasn't weird just for the sake of being weird. I'm hoping DS is the same in that regard. I also hope the open world isn't as empty and boring as TPP's.

Brunire

Yep. Kojima needs Fukushima and others to keep him grounded lest he become crazy and we wind up with shit like Quiet.

Example of an idea that Kojima's team had forced him to scrap:

- The Boss has her naked breasts out and they have a snake tattoo on them so when she shoots, the breasts jiggle and it looks like the snake is laughing -

Oh, this is too hilarious. Please tell me where you read this.

Ninjimbo

I think Death Stranding isn't going to have much of a story at all based on everything Kojima has said and how his games are trending.

I’m convinced that Kojima is like Vince Russo where the entire time he was at Konami he kept having his ideas reigned in, but now that he’s left we’re about to enter his nonsensical WCW period

sn00zer

I hope it goes crazy. Those arenhonestly the only bit of Koji games I really remember when all is said and done

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kojima continues to push this medium to its limits, so absolutely not.

Yep. I don't think I have ever been as excited for a piece of media (whether games, movies, music, books etc.) as I am for Death Stranding.

Kojima was being held hostage by Konami and forced to do MGS sequels galore. I remember reading in EGM, in like 2002, that MGS2 was going to be the last MGS.

Now that I'm playing Peace Walker for the first time through MGS HD Collection, I can see that story wise it is essentially MGS5. Which makes the lack of story faults in the actual MGSV even more apparent.

It's obvious that Kojima just ran out of stories to tell in the MGS world. He still actually managed to ship out an amazing game with MGSV.

As I'm playing through Peace Walker I can also see how much Kojima has been hampered by system hardware. Not anymore with Death Stranding since the game will use inhouse Sony engines on the PS4.

For the first time in a long time (probably ever?), Kojima has free reigns to do whatever he wants and it's going to be amazing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have no problem with the story being crazy but with it being littered with embarrassing moments - which MGS4 was. Here's me hoping Kojima will ditch this stuff for Death Stranding.

tcrunch

Naked-Raiden-Cartwheel-MGS2.jpg

But now there's a baby and a bunch of seafood in the shot too

Drencrom

Having Kojima completely unleashed with DS is what makes this exciting.

Will it be a crazy masterpiece or an nonsensical trainwreck? Either way, I'm there day 1.

jwhit28

I hope it's really crazy. It's felt like MGS has been holding him back since MGS2 as he painted himself into a corner story-wise.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
We get grounded stories and settings in almost every triple A game these days, I want batshit crazy for a change.

And if it's compared to MGS, I don't think what we've seen is that crazier than MGS. Levitating figures? We've had a couple of those in MGS. Ink appearing on faces? Quite. Babies in capsules? Pffft, how about a man who could walk on water, or a man who controls bees that live in his body, or one that could control minds, and oh let's not forget the immortals, the spirits, the zombies..

Rymuth

I hope it's really crazy. It's felt like MGS has been holding him back since MGS2 as he painted himself into a corner story-wise.

He could've easily avoided that by doing stand-alone adventures with a vague overarching plot.

Fukushima proved it could be done.

hqdefault.jpg

OP, are you worried it might be too original? Because we have lots of games centered around war, the military and politics but none about test tube babies, black oil and all that crazy stuff so IMO it's a good thing.

He could've easily avoided that by doing stand-alone adventures with a vague overarching plot.

Fukushima proved it could be done.

hqdefault.jpg

Easier to do with a spinoff game. The series to that point had already determined what kind it would be. It didn't lend itself to standalone mainline titles. There was already too much carryover.

If you enjoyed Kojima writing before, I don't think you'll have any issues.

If you think his writing is often nonsensical, then you're probably gonna have issues.

Im in the latter camp. But if it has awesome gameplay like Phantom Pain, then I'm so in.

I fear he's buying too much into his own hype. He's absolutely earned the right to creative freedom with his project, but I hope there's some connective tissue and that it all forms together to create a beautiful, misshapen beast. So far the Death Stranding trailers and interviews have been a bit too abstract for me to properly appreciate.

Con_Smith

Banned
Its a Kojima game. Worrying about how crazy it is is like worrying if a Bethesda fallout/TES game will be too open.

I want all the random craziness being a Sony console exclusive will allow.

jstripes

Banned
Too many big games play it safe. I want something completely off the wall.

I'm worried that Kojima has learned nothing about the portrayal of female characters and is making it worse again.
Ya, I'm worried about that too. But maybe he's learned a bit from his new western film squad.

I do not know about too crazy, but as long as it is understandable and is not total complete nonsense I am fine with a bit of crazy. I feel as long as Kojima has someone on his writing team that can rein him in, in case he goes too off the rails, I think Death Stranding will be great.

Nyoro SF

Nah. I need triple backflips over missiles and 20 minute monologues over the prescient future war landscape... while attempting a nude escape from a ruined skyscraper that is not actually real.

The Goat

Crazy is fine. Nonsensical, not so much. Kojima, for me at least, crosses over into nonsensical most of the time. Still enjoy the games, though. Really looking forward to Death Stranding.

konjak

But since MGS took place in our universe and was centered around the military and politics, it had a certain level of groundedness. Yeah, there was silly nanomachines and a little bit of paranormal stuff, but all of that was at a relative minimum compared to the rest of what was happening, which was real-world issues and stuff.

MGS2 is literally made as a video game to do commentary on video games and it constantly breaks the fourth wall and is entirely a metaphor, probably never intended to have a sequel at the time. So I don't agree it was grounded after 2, hah.

I want to see what he does, especially if he gets free reign. At the end of the day, nobody makes a game like him and his crew. I can't think of many other that have such a love for making games like movies that also make the games have good gameplay.

Top Bottom