• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

There have definitely been some that hung on well into Sunday. Has there been any that had this much remaining inventory at this point? It seems like the ones that took two days to burn off sold more before they stalled. (With the exception of Lawbreakers. Because no one actually wants Lawbreakers.)

JEKKI

I'm interested in how they're gonna sell Ys now.

I really want that one, but on the day of release I need to do a 7 hour drive between socal and norcal...

thanks to the game release, I have to schedule my departure until after it comes out, but if there's a chance to secure a copy earlier, it will definitely help my travel plans :p

zeopower6

I'm interested in how they're gonna sell Ys now.

I really want that one, but on the day of release I need to do a 7 hour drive between socal and norcal...

thanks to the game release, I have to schedule my departure until after it comes out, but if there's a chance to secure a copy earlier, it will definitely help my travel plans :p

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how they handle it. If it's a whole day of preorders after the normal sale, I don't think there's much worry. :) It's exciting to see the 'formula' get changed up a bit.

Belated update. Opening post has been revised with countdowns toward Asdivine Hearts and Ys Origin. I've additionally adjusted the note underneath them to acknowledge the physical, standard alternative from Play-Asia for those that don't want to wade through the coming blood bath next Friday. According to the products pages for Lili and N++, it's probably worth iterating that both games are still being manufactured and they won't begin shipping until the middle of September.

Like several other users, I received my copies of Plague Road, Oceanhorn, Jotun, and Wonder Boy CE throughout the week. All of them arrived with simple trading cards so postcards do appear to have been scrapped with the stickers. Sampled the beginning moments of Plague and, gosh, I think it could've been the first critically dismissed title in their library had anyone actually bothered to give it the time of day. I'll probably move forward with placing it alongside Xeodrifter as my least favorite offerings from the company since their inception. I have to confess that Oceanhorn was another whimsical purchase as well, but I probably won't dive into it in the near future with the large number of bigger releases hitting throughout the season. I did spend a handful of minutes with Jotun and Wonder Boy on the other hand. As expected, I was able to step away with warm enough impressions to agree they're solid grabs for the LRG collection. However, prioritizing a title in the backlog will serve as the main challenge given I've been in an unproductive wrestling kick with WWE 2K16 on top of slogging my way through Rime.

Really surprised to see it not selling out though, especially since I thought Lili was a really lackluster looking title.
Genuinely surprised by the lack of enthusiasm toward the project, too. It's easily the "MVP" between the two choices, but I believe the erratic combination of a belated reveal announcement, rabid collector mentality toward the smaller Lili units, failure to bundle the upcoming Ultimate Edition expansion on disc and, simply, wallet burnout were a string of contributors to the dragging inventory. It'll still probably sell out over the week (66% remaining as of 08/19 at 5:01 AM EST), but I do hope select titles that are still receiving downloadable content will be delayed in favor of compiling said material into a tangible copy to preserve everything. I suspect this could happen with LRG's 2064: Read Only Memories on PS4/Vita as MidBoss has confirmed they're creating a Switch version with exclusive features in Q1 2018.

Saoshyant

I imagine it won't happen but I and most people probably wouldn't mind a delay in receiving N++ if it meant we would receive a definitive edition.

From Facebook:

Limits have been removed on N++. If you want to grab more than two copies, the time is now!

Wow! Has this ever happened before?

I bought a copy, but I'm surprised it didn't sell out quickly. Besides the missing DLC, I'm wondering if it's because we've seen previous versions of the game on 360, DS, etc. (I had it on DS).

I also think it's buyer fatigue. Too many major releases too quickly (Wonder Boy and Night Trap in the past two weeks, Y's next week, and Guacamelee from a competitor).

With this not even releasing until September, I wonder why they put it up this week. I think it would've sold better a few weeks from now.

Ventara

From Facebook:

Limits have been removed on N++. If you want to grab more than two copies, the time is now!

I bought a copy, but I'm surprised it didn't sell out quickly. Besides the missing DLC, I'm wondering if it's because we've seen previous versions of the game on 360, DS, etc. (I had it on DS).

I also think it's buyer fatigue. Too many major releases too quickly (Wonder Boy and Night Trap in the past two weeks, Y's next week, and Guacamelee from a competitor).

With this not even releasing until September, I wonder why they put it up this week. I think it would've sold better a few weeks from now.

Yeah. Anything that hasn't sold out after 24 hours usually has it's limits removed. Happened to One Way Heroics and Thomas Was Alone, for example.

takoyaki

From Facebook:

they’ve lifted the limit a few times before, it will sell out eventually.

I’m surprised it’s taking this long as well. No idea why. Late announcement? Lack of Hype? Incomplete game? Some people’s bias against paying “full price for a 2D game that should be $0.99 on the App store”? Too large a run without a collectors edition? Too many LRG releases without a break for the wallet? Not as many scalpers, die-hard completionists and people who buy 2 copies as we thought?

I’m surprised it’s taking this long as well. No idea why. Late announcement? Lack of Hype? Incomplete game? Some people’s bias against paying “full price for a 2D game that should be $0.99 on the App store”? Too large a run without a collectors edition? Too many LRG releases without a break for the wallet? Not as many scalpers, die-hard completionists and people who buy 2 copies as we thought?
Vita owners make up a pretty big portion of LRG's customer base. So having a week with only PS4 releases, especially ones that aren't super popular, means a lot of typical LRG buyers aren't interested.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yeah, it's really weird.
It's a high quality game and I thought it still had name appeal despite going so long between this and the last game. I'm stunned there's still 1100+ copies available.
If I hadn't stopped buying physical for PS4, this would be one of the insta-buy titles.

I picked up N++, I'm not a big collector type but I like physical editions. My first LRF game. I loved N+ on 360.

But I didn't realize a big new version was coming, I probably would have passed.

i-Jest

It's as GodzillaDB said: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames...hearts-ys-origins-limited-run-games-ps4-vita/

Asdivine Hearts eh. *sigh* Yeah, I want that too. Fuck, this was what I was afraid of. I'm still committing to YS Origin, but damn do I want that Asdivine Hearts too. Why did the mystery game need to be something I'm interested in? FACK!!!

Visiting Limited Run Games on Monday for my documentary. Just got off the plane in Raleigh, NC!

I'm looking forward to tasting the fruits of your labors.

Shizuka

None of the above, it's just that gamers are moving on with Xbox One X release.

-- Yesterday, LRG unveiled their exclusive cover variant for their Shadow Warrior 2 collaboration with Special Reserve Games. It'll be limited to 1,000 copies with each individually-numbered and bundles a disc copy of the first Shadow Warrior like SRG's version, too. Expected to launch sometime in September.

-- A user under the name 'Tekkaman' from the LRG forums shared a string of Twitter messages from Midboss in regard to their physical 2064 release. Back around the June reveal, the developer shared previews for the user manual and one of the cover arts for PS4 with an illustration by Kiririn51 (VA-11 Hall-A) . They're apparently going to do something "unique" for their launch and, apparently, each platform will have their own exclusive covers.

Night in the woods
Grim fandango
Hellblade
Speaking as a fan, I don't see any reason that could prevent Night in the Woods from getting a physical release so it's still a possibility. In contrast, LRG officially stated that Grim Fandango wasn't "a pipe dream just tough" as a result of the rights, along with Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle, from original developer LucasArts being acquired by The Walt Disney Company back several years ago. They have established ties with Double Fine Productions, who handled the remasters for the aforementioned games, with their release of Broken Age so it isn't impossible, but Disney are notoriously protective of their catalog as well. Sadly, Hellblade might be a tough nut to crack, too, with it being a first-party title on Sony's home platform. Stuff like SOMA and Bound will likely be impossible as LRG were unable to convince them to allow retail copies of their digital exclusives after two meetings. Like Disney, they're apparently "very adamant about not letting anyone touch first party titles."

Sadly, Hellblade might be a tough nut to crack, too, with it being a first-party title on Sony's home platform. Stuff like SOMA and Bound will likely be impossible as LRG were unable to convince them to allow retail copies of their digital exclusives after two meetings. Like Disney, they're apparently "very adamant about not letting anyone touch first party titles."

Hellblade is independently developed and published. I see no reason LRG couldn't grab it.

Jimm

Oh man Shadow Warrior 2 cover is pretty ugly, and I hope the SW1 disc doesn't jack up the price... I'll still get it because I really want that physical copy but it's a bit disappointing.

I usually pick up platformers, but N++ just looked... lackluster to me. I hear people love it, and that's great, but it's just not something I'm into. I also think 4800 is a bit high for this run.

Semoreh

I bought a copy, but I'm surprised it didn't sell out quickly. Besides the missing DLC, I'm wondering if it's because we've seen previous versions of the game on 360, DS, etc. (I had it on DS)

You had N+ on DS, not N++. It's not the same game from what I read.

Oh man Shadow Warrior 2 cover is pretty ugly, and I hope the SW1 disc doesn't jack up the price... I'll still get it because I really want that physical copy but it's a bit disappointing.
Still waiting for my SRG copy to ship :S

@GodzillaDB: I really hope the 2064 release isn't plagued by the same problems we've had with Night Trap and Wonderboy because with the promise of extras it sounds a hell of a lot more probable now.

Also +1 for the recent suggestions (Hellblade, Night in the Woods + Double Fine back catalogue).

You had N+ on DS, not N++. It's not the same game from what I read.
I'm aware they're different games, but it's still the same basic formula, hence why I called it a "previous version." I was using the previous 360, DS, etc. versions to explain one (of many) possibilities why sales may be slow. Truthfully, how many variations of this game do people really need? I bought N++ from LRG this week, but obviously a lot of others skipped it.

Any chance of limited run doing any of the these or are they pursuing any of them ?

Night in the woods
Grim fandango
Hellblade

Peace x

I generally don't double dip if I already own a game digitally but I would double dip in two shakes for Hellblade. Especially if there is a soundtrack.

Also has anybody locked up the physical releases for Finji stuff on PS4 yet? Might be good to lock that it in now since they seem to be tracking up. West Virginia Mining Town Avocado Toast Simulator would be a good place to start.

zeopower6

they've lifted the limit a few times before, it will sell out eventually.

I'm surprised it's taking this long as well. No idea why. Late announcement? Lack of Hype? Incomplete game? Some people's bias against paying ”full price for a 2D game that should be $0.99 on the App store"? Too large a run without a collectors edition? Too many LRG releases without a break for the wallet? Not as many scalpers, die-hard completionists and people who buy 2 copies as we thought?

Probably a lot of people who would have normally gotten it, angry at the 'incomplete nature' :/

Got my Wonder Boy + card. So gorgeous!

hawk2025

I usually pick up platformers, but N++ just looked... lackluster to me. I hear people love it, and that's great, but it's just not something I'm into. I also think 4800 is a bit high for this run.

I mean, it's one of the best platformers of the decade.

There's nothing lackluster about it. Even the soundtrack is incredible.

I mean, it's one of the best platformers of the decade.

There's nothing lackluster about it. Even the soundtrack is incredible.

Visually it doesn't interest me. It's the kind of game I'm happy to pick up for a few bucks digitally. I just don't find it worth $40 (including shipping). Also there have been just too many releases the last 2 months.

MW_Jimmy

I ended up picking up N++. Even though I'm slightly annoyed that it doesn't contain the Ultimate update content, it's one of my favourite platforming games with an excellent soundtrack. If it's taking a few days to sell through a few thousand copies, it's very unlikely we'll ever see another physical release.

Much as another poster said earlier, I'd be happy to wait longer and have a complete version (discs haven't even been manufactured yet), but that feels unlikely (authored image for manufacturing has probably already been sent). Equally unlikely but just as nice would be if maybe they could send us all an extra disc down the line as a thank you ;)

Top Bottom