• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gregor7777 said:
Don't knock it until you've tried i man. Rolling though your collection of 3d Wii game boxes on a HDD is so so nice. I never have to worry about the kids messing up a disc again. Don't have to get up to switch games, game metadata and such. Themes...

HDDs are cheap these days, and using CFG is quite easy.
lol I bet. It's just worrying about the extra cost and work involved. I have little interest in the backup part of this, not against it at all though. I'm just lazy and don't want to do the work or spend any money :p

Dragon

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Don't knock it until you've tried i man. Rolling though your collection of 3d Wii game boxes on a HDD is so so nice. I never have to worry about the kids messing up a disc again. Don't have to get up to switch games, game metadata and such. Themes...

HDDs are cheap these days, and using CFG is quite easy.

This is what I want the most. Being able to store all my games on a HDD and not worry about getting up to get games or discs being damaged or anything like that. Plus being able to play PS2 games on there and not have to worry about those discs would be awesome as well.

LiquidMetal14 said:
lol I bet. It's just worrying about the extra cost and work involved. I have little interest in the backup part of this, not against it at all though. I'm just lazy and don't want to do the work or spend any money :p

You know, over the lifetime of your PS3 you will probably spend more time getting up to change discs than you will setting up a CFG-like program once and ripping your disc once p/disc.

That's lazy math, sir.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just wanted to ask if it's possible yet to install games to an external HDD? I don't think I have much need for anything from this JB other than that. That multiMAN app could be used for this maybe?

Durante said:
Does this include the ability to disable HDCP?
Or the ability to enable cross game chat that's been in debugs for what seems forever now?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gregor7777 said:
You know, over the lifetime of your PS3 you will probably spend more time getting up to change discs than you will setting up a CFG-like program once and ripping your disc once p/disc.

That's lazy math, sir.
Hey! I never beat around the bush. I'm lazy and want everything on a silver platter :lol

It's something I will look into once things settle down. That brings up the potential of buying another PS3. That is my biggest hurdle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gregor7777 said:

That's lazy math, sir.

Just time your gaming to coincide with when your controller needs charging.

Back on OFW for a few days until I get a new hard drive and transfer all my licenses (requires PSN from what I understand).

Very strange to see and use the SNES emulator while running original firmware and not jailbroken. It sinks in that this stuff, to 3.55 vanilla, is correctly signed and just as valid as Joe Danger or Flower. All the jailbreak does is give us a way to get it on the system.

3rdman

Now that a CFW exists with Peak/Poke, I'm ready to upgrade...But I have some questions that I hope y'all could answer.

1. I'd really like to avoid re-ripping my collection so can I simply upgrade to 3.55 and will it keep all my files?

2. I will be deleting all the homebrew that is currently on my PS3 (3.41 JB) as I upgrade to singed versions...Again, I fear losing the back-ups I've done to now so can I delete the B-Up managers while keeping the files intact?

N.A

Banned
3rdman said:
Now that a CFW exists with Peak/Poke, I'm ready to upgrade...But I have some questions that I hope y'all could answer.

1. I'd really like to avoid re-ripping my collection so can I simply upgrade to 3.55 and will it keep all my files?
Yes.

3rdman said:
2. I will be deleting all the homebrew that is currently on my PS3 (3.41 JB) as I upgrade to singed versions...Again, I fear losing the back-ups I've done to now so can I delete the B-Up managers while keeping the files intact?

Depends where you have installed your games, if they are in the same folder as your backup manager they will be deleted. To easily check highlight your backup manager on the XMB, press Triangle then click information. If the size is in GB's then you will need to use Comgenie's Awesome File Manager to move them to a different folder (I'd recommend dev_hdd0/Games and use MultiMAN from now on)

Also, it's worth pointing out that even with peek/poke backup managers won't work until the authors have adapted them to work with the new firmware which could be a few days (though will most likely be today).

N.A

Banned
thuway said:
Can anyone with peek / poke with 3.55 confirm its working with Open Manager and loading backups?

It won't yet. Still needs an update to the managers themselves to replicate the syscalls the jailbreak payloads used.

sam27368

Banned
Maybe at last the hackers can give us the firmware we've all been after (PS2 backwards compatibility from software, etc)

Glix

I'd really like to sign my ps1 games and have them recognized by the PS3 as such, and grouped with the psone games I've already downloaded. Rather than some kind of backup loader.

Has anyone tried this yet?

To clarify, I know people have gotten ps3 games installed by editing the hex to make the ps3 think its a psn title. Can the hex be edited MORE, so that you can tell it it's a psone classic, and it will put it with them? And maybe we could even figure out where to put the boxart or whatever, so that it looks nice with the psone games I have?

Rur0ni

thuway said:
Open Manager working yet :-O?
No managers working yet. Will require some re-writes and so forth. I still expect something working today at the rate the devs are pushing things out now.

edit: multiMAN dev is working with the peek/poke implementers right now.

N.A

Banned
Glix said:
I'd really like to sign my ps1 games and have them recognized by the PS3 as such, and grouped with the psone games I've already downloaded. Rather than some kind of backup loader.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Once someone reverses NPDRM you should be able to modify a PSX game bought from PSN and replace it with any game. I'm sure tools will be released similar to the ones on PSP.

3rdman

N.A said:
Yes.

Depends where you have installed your games, if they are in the same folder as your backup manager they will be deleted. To easily check highlight your backup manager on the XMB, press Triangle then click information. If the size is in GB's then you will need to use Comgenie's Awesome File Manager to move them to a different folder (I'd recommend dev_hdd0/Games and use MultiMAN from now on)

Also, it's worth pointing out that even with peek/poke backup managers won't work until the authors have adapted them to work with the new firmware which could be a few days (though will most likely be today).
Thank you kindly...and yes, I'll be upgrading to Multiman once his is properly signed.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
So does a jailbroken PS3 play downloaded PS1 ROMS (not from PSN)? The PS1 emu is built in.

I haven't bothered to read the full thread.
Not much has been done with that yet I don't think, emulators atm are ports of pc and linux ones, but i'd not be shocked to see the ps1 emulator work like the official psp one years back when it worked with a ton of games when hacked.

thuway

jigglywiggly said:
I must admit, looking through the files on my Slim and seeing the official PS2 emulators made me :(
Yeah but the PS2 emulators don't Natively Render at higher resolutions. If this was true, I'd be :-O

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
jigglywiggly said:
I must admit, looking through the files on my Slim and seeing the official PS2 emulators made me :(

Wait....so Sony kept the ps2 software emulation in the slim, they just turned it off or locked it or whatever?

GMUNYIFan said:
Wait....so Sony kept the ps2 software emulation in the slim, they just turned it off or locked it or whatever?
It's 'turned off' because the Slim is incapable of PS2 emulation because it lacks the requisite hardware. If you turned it on, it'd be broken.

eso76

Laurent said:
What's the point of running low resolution sprites in higher resolution mode?

they don't get upscaled by the tv/whatever you're using and they can be displayed with sexy filters which perfectly replicate the look of original crt monitors.
Think Final Fight double impact xbla.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
badcrumble said:
It's 'turned off' because the Slim is incapable of PS2 emulation because it lacks the requisite hardware. If you turned it on, it'd be broken.

Ah okay that makes more sense.

omfgies, just ordered my slim PS3. Once I get all of the data/licenses/etc transferred from my OG 60GB phatty to the new slim, I will jailbreak the OG and it will be well on its way to becoming the dream set-top box I've been waiting for since the original Xbox. <3

Truly, the PS3 will do everything.

jiggles

Banned
badcrumble said:

Yeah, there's 3 emulator files in there, one each for the full hardware BC code and hardware/software BC code, and a third file that holds the common stuff that both use.

I assume.

I DO hope, though, that whenever CWCheat (or some equivalent) happens, it's set up to work on PS1, PS2, and PS3 games (and heck, if full PSP emulation can get turned on, on that too).

Vamphuntr

Someone should add PS2 emulation info in the OP. People are asking this question almost on every page :lol . No GS hardware no PS2 emu.

Erasus

Patrick Bateman said:
Dumb question: Why? Is a software solution impossible?

Yes. If Sony could not do full software PS2 emulation, then the homebrew community probably wont.

PS2 and PS3 are totally different in architecture and Sony has all the documentation and homebrew guys dont.

sajj316

Vamphuntr said:
Someone should add PS2 emulation info in the OP. People are asking this question almost on every page :lol . No GS hardware no PS2 emu.

What if you have the original ps3 w/ EE and GS built in? No reason why there can't be a PS2 HDD Loader.

Zoe

sajj316 said:
What if you have the original ps3 w/ EE and GS built in? No reason why there can't be a PS2 HDD Loader.

You can already use PS2 HDD loader with an external on the BC consoles.

Patrick Bateman said:
Dumb question: Why? Is a software solution impossible?

What Sony used in no longer workable on current platforms. Some N64 games still do not work at corrects speeds, so it would take some coding from the gods to get a something playable from PS2... it is probable it could happen, but crazy unlikely, and if anything comes from it, it would be months/years away (unless something crazy happens)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hehe.

If this can be fixed by firmware, which from my reading is unlikely and virtually impossible, this is the time for Sony to release cross game chat as a carrot to upgrade firmware.

3rdman

Vamphuntr said:
Agreed...Something along the lines of "It does everything including breaking the hearts of non-BC owners" or something. :p

Top Bottom