• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Beer Monkey said:
If you are talking about streaming from your locally networked PC, you can simply block playstation.net in your router. This keeps the console from logging into PSN but allows LAN and internet access.

If you are talking Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, yes, you have to log into PSN to use these services.

I'm talking about on my nasbox, that's local content.

When you say playstation.net, is that the actual address to block?

causan

multiMAN_UPDATE_SIGNED_SYSCALL_TEST:

*Removed link. Will wait till working version has been verified before posting again :D .

Gonna go get a USB stick, a new receiver, and Metalocalypse season 3 (Nathan Explosion reads Othello). going to be a rich full day

siarraweb

I'll continue to play original games as I don't want to take risks in getting my PS3/gamercard banned...

BUT.

is it ok to run some apps when they become available? I would love to use a browser if someone made a better one, and I would love to use a best app for midia center if someone made one..

is that ok? or, IF sony finally founds a way to find who's using homebrew, they could ban me even without using any pirate games?

having my PS3/gamercard/whatever banned is the scenario i DO NOT want to happen.

is using homebrew software (not games) enough to be banned?

g35twinturbo said:
I'm talking about on my nasbox, that's local content.

When you say playstation.net, is that the actual address to block?

Yeah, that is the address. I blocked it in my router, it keeps me from logging into psn.

Bert

Just stumbled across this thread and haven't really been paying attention to the news about the keys being leaked, but: this is awesome!

I've got a "box limit" in my front room and have so far had XBMC with various emus on my TV upstairs but just the crappy built-in PS3 folder based system for browsing my several hundred DVD rips on my network downstairs.

If I could get XBMC, my emus and a functioning PS3 in one box I could die a happy man :D

Am I being stupid to wonder if it'll ever be possible to emulate the Wii on PS3?

Erasus

siarraweb said:
is using homebrew software (not games) enough to be banned?

If they somehow find out then probably.

It is modyfing the system after all.

Bert said:
Am I being stupid to wonder if it'll ever be possible to emulate the Wii on PS3

Yea cuz teh Cell is supperz powahful and can do anythin!!!!

No, Wii emulating is very unlikely. Dolphin devs have said so.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bert said:
Am I being stupid to wonder if it'll ever be possible to emulate the Wii on PS3?

You mean using the Move as a Wiimote? Very unlikely as the tech are too different. They are inverted basically, as the Move is seen by the PSEye while the Wiimote sees the sensor bar.

Not only that, but Wiimote does pointing via video processing (tracks position of the IR dots) while the Move relies mostly on gyros for that. I don't see how they could emulate that with the Move.

Bert said:

Possible, but very improbable. Even if the guys over at Dolphin do decide to put in the work, it won't be finished anytime soon.

thuway

causan said:
multiMAN_UPDATE_SIGNED_SYSCALL_TEST:

*Removed link. Will wait till working version has been verified before posting again :D .
Wait WHAT??????????????? DOES THAT MEAN I UPDATE NOW?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Beer Monkey said:
Yeah, that is the address. I blocked it in my router, it keeps me from logging into psn.

but you have to log into psn for data to be sent right?
it's not sending it periodically anonymously ?

sajj316 said:
Couldn't you just turn-off signing in?

that is what I was thinking

Bendz

Banned
It's been said already but it's worth repeating: this thread is a seriously fantastic piece of work. Well done everyone!!!

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok so I blocked Playstation.net in my browser, so it shouldn't log into PSN anymore.

How do I go back to OFW when I've installed it?

Angelcurio

One of the things i still don't get about this hardware generation is that you have those powerfull machines out there and none of the hardware makers have an app store like the ones you see for Android, iOS and RIM devices. That way they would have avoided at least part of the problems related to things that the consoles can't do.

badcrumble said:
Oh my goodness gracious me.

It's ridiculous how fast things are moving. I can't imagine where it'll be at the end of the month at this rate.

This has nothing to do with jailbreak. BC PS3's have been able to use ps2 hd loaders for a long time. You just need swap magic and an external HDD. No physical modification required.

I tried playing kh2fm on my 60gb ps3 this way. I managed to get it working but the game lagged quite a bit because of usb 1.1 speeds.

sajj316

Unregistered007 said:
I need Netflix on PS3 - only reason I am not jail breaking.

Don't think there is anything right now to allow to login to Netflix w/o PSN. SOL on that. Even if that can be bypassed on the client side, nothing stopping Netflix servers from blocking connections.

Zoe

H_Prestige said:
I tried playing kh2fm on my 60gb ps3 this way. I managed to get it working but the game lagged quite a bit because of usb 1.1 speeds.

I thought the PS3 had USB 2?

expy said:
The simplest solution is always the one that gets ignored.

I greatly prefer the firewall solution. Sometimes I have friends over for gaming and I don't want to chance them logging in with the CFW.

3.55 uses playstation.net to log in, and if you block it you just get a little pop-up failure message that fades after a few seconds.

sajj316 said:
Don't think there is anything right now to allow to login to Netflix w/o PSN. SOL on that. Even if that can be bypassed on the client side, nothing stopping Netflix servers from blocking connections.

This is true, you cannot log into Netflix without logging into PSN.

Fortunately I have Netflix on the 360 so it's no big deal to me.

angelfly

irc said:
�13:51� + netkas - looks like lv2 memory in 3.55 is write-protected
�13:52� + Ofca - netkas: have you tried peeking what you poked before quiting your app?
�13:52� + Ofca - netkas: btw. +v pls ;)
�13:53� + netkas - i see the outout changes
�13:53� + netkas - in peekpoker
�13:54� + TheUnkn0w - what data do you get when you peek the lv2?
�13:54� + netkas - same i poked there

�13:54� + TheUnkn0w - So its not write protected then?
�13:54� + netkas - with awesome peekpoker
�13:55� + netkas - but when we quit the app which modifies lv2 - ps3 shuts down
�13:55� + TheUnkn0w - the app crashed?
�13:55� + Ofca - well, memory is already modified, so maybe just the mem you modified gets used after quiting your app, which causes the crash?
�13:56� + netkas - the ps3 crashes
�13:56� + netkas - red led blinking and it shuts down

�13:56� + TheUnkn0w - Peek Data > Poke some Data > Peek that data > Poke BACK the original data and see if it shuts down?
�13:56� + Ofca - yeah, do that
�13:56� + netkas - yeah, good idea
�13:57� + TheUnkn0w - if it still crashes then do this, Just Peek the data and not change any of it and see if it crashes still?
For reference netkas one of the devs the worked on the recent peek poke version of the firmware so if this is true then it doesn't look backup managers will be doing anything but direct boot in 3.55

angelfly

Genesis Knight said:
No idea what that means. :lol
Direct boot mean launching the eboot directly from the application. It doesn't work for a lot of games and all but a few backup managers removed it since it was deemed useless.

Joey Fox said:
I also need Netflix on PS3.

I want to be able to use it without logging in to the PSN.

I'm in a similar boat, but I have my launch PS3 & a slim PS3 (my main Blu-Ray player). I guess my launch will have to be a guinea pig (when the time comes).

Netflix > Homebrew Anything ;)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
angelfly said:
For reference netkas one of the devs the worked on the recent peek poke version of the firmware so if this is true then it doesn't look backup managers will be doing anything but direct boot in 3.55

What is this peed poke version?

g35twinturbo said:
What is this peed poke version?

Posted a few pages back, on the front page of PSX-Scene. Basically a patched version of CFW that allows for peek/poke, but people are saying its too messy right now so I wouldn't mess with it.

sajj316

typo said:
I'm in a similar boat, but I have my launch PS3 & a slim PS3 (my main Blu-Ray player). I guess my launch will have to be a guinea pig (when the time comes).

Netflix, PSN, and OFW will be on the slim. CFW and the other goodies on the fat. If you have the 360, watch Netflix on that as an alternative.

sajj316 said:
Netflix, PSN, and OFW will be on the slim. CFW and the other goodies on the fat. If you have the 360, watch Netflix on that as an alternative.

For sure. If they manage a way for me to rip my PS1/PS2 games onto the Fatty, I'd be a happy kid.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Saren is Bad said:
Posted a few pages back, on the front page of PSX-Scene. Basically a patched version of CFW that allows for peek/poke, but people are saying its too messy right now so I wouldn't mess with it.

angelfly said:
A modification to geohot's version that added the system calls that backup managers use.

ahh ok.

I'll just wait for it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
typo said:

I'm starting to agree, but I already jumped in.

Oh well, I'm sure there will be a workaround at some point, to at least allow Netflix access through a browser.

And I don't mean a really complicated way where you mess with the router and FTP or whatever.

For what it's worth, I'm going to design a consistent UI for the various emulators, assuming they quickly evolve into something akin to Xport's emulators for Xbox. Nothing overly flashy, no sprites doing the conga while Yoshi humps the Nintendo logo, just an elegant list that happily takes over from the XMB.

Interested?

TheOctagon said:
For what it's worth, I'm going to design a consistent UI for the various emulators, assuming they quickly evolve into something akin to Xport's emulators for Xbox. Nothing overly flashy, no sprites doing the conga while Yoshi humps the Nintendo logo, just an elegant list that happily takes over from the XMB.

Interested?
YES!!

TheOctagon said:

Interested?

Sounds good to me.

causan

TheOctagon said:

Interested?

Very

TheOctagon said:

Interested?
Yes please and thank you.

Bendz

Banned
TheOctagon said:

Interested?

Yes!!!

Top Bottom