• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Valiant going after the only demographic that matters.

unnamed-1.jpg
lol

this is actually a better lineup than the last couple years, looks like they're bringing back the punk stage. Shit, i... i might go...

I actually recognise almost none of those either, gone are the days of pennywise or millencolin I guess.
Strung Out was/is a contemporary!

Messi

I think they just wanted to have a lot of Guardians content out for the movie, though Gamora was supposed to come out a while ago.

It was. Shortly after the first movie lol. It also wasn't announced as a mini but hey anything to avoid saying it's cancelled

Sandfox

It was. Shortly after the first movie lol. It also wasn't announced as a mini but hey anything to avoid saying it's cancelled

I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled. I've said this before, but I don't think any of the Guardians should have solos.

Vic_Viper

What are the "best" Punisher runs/arcs from like the 2000s-now? Liked Rucka's run but it seemed pretty middle of the road.

Also which volume/volumes is Remender's Punisher run? Including the Frankencastle stuff.

Sandfox

I hate how Marvel is can happy to make room for Empire. I guess they assume NOW 2.0 is a flop.

Some good books came out of it, but Marvel is trying to move away quick. They actually stopped using the branding in January excelling Silver Surfer, which got delayed.

Sandfox

I was wondering why America and Kingpin didn't have the NOW branding.
Kingpin was a part of "Running with the Devil", which is a banner for the new Daredevil books, and with America they probably just wanted to avoid using the Marvel Now name since it clearly wasn't popular. Kingpin was actually in the initial preview book for Marvel Now.

caliph95

I asked the question before but considering how Rocket wasn't advertised as a mini, maybe they didn't expect the book to last this long. Etiher way too bad the art was good.

mreddie

I asked the question before but considering how Rocket wasn't advertised, maybe they didn't expect the book to last this long. Etiher way too bad the art was good.

Almost every Marvel book has been ignored sans the upcoming X Relaunch and Secret Empire.

Messi

Finally starting this:

BVTQ0N.jpg

I'm one issue in (double-sized first issue, though), and it's already awesome.

Vader is awesome

I asked the question before but considering how Rocket wasn't advertised, maybe they didn't expect the book to last this long. Etiher way too bad the art was good.

I don't believe for a second any if these books would be ending if they were sellers. Gamora sadly isn't a book that's gonna be a top seller

Finished episode 6 of Iron Fist. Really good episode.... but did they really just
waste Bride of Nine Spiders as a fucking bit villain?

Damn its not funny how much better Harley's classic outfit looks than all the crap they have been putting her in the last few years.

I remember when Harley could look sexy without resorting to putting her in hot pants every issue. :(

She's always been flirtatious and playful. Putting her in "sexy" clothes fits. I really like some of the outfits she's had that aren't her classic. I'm honestly tired of her classic outfit and the constant clamoring for it to come back seems dismissive of the outfits that have come since then.

Though her New 52 Suicide Squad outfit was trash. Undeniably so.
Finished episode 6 of Iron Fist. Really good episode.... but did they really just
waste Bride of Nine Spiders as a fucking bit villain?

But it was a dope bit tho

caliph95

She's always been flirtatious and playful. Putting her in "sexy" clothes fits. I really like some of the outfits she's had that aren't her classic. I'm honestly tired of her classic outfit and the constant clamoring for it to come back seems dismissive of the outfits that have come since then.

Though her New 52 Suicide Squad outfit was trash. Undeniably so.

But it was a dope bit tho

I remember her costume in her solo being better but the suicide squad is a low bar anyway

Aizo

Banned
I didn't answer my own question. My favorite Image ongoing things are probably Black Monday Murders, Birthright, Snotgirl, Monstress, Southern Bastards, and Deadly Class.

My favorite comic in general to read each month is Giant Days.

Are you reading Paper Girls?
Yeah. I've read everything besides the most recent issue.
I know its not ongoing anymore, but go back and read Chew if you have't.
Its probably one of the best things Image has ever put out.
And its also genuinely funny. There aren't many funny comics.
This is one that I guess just doesn't click with me. I read the first volume and really didn't like it.
Hmm. My favourite current non obvious books are probably Rumble and Southern Cross. Invisible Republic is pretty great too.
I have actually not read these. I know of them... I'll check them out!
I haven't read the most recent volume. You're the one who got me into it. haha. I got my friend and her girlfriend to try it out when I went home for Christmas, because I was curious about how a real lesbian couple would view it. They love what they've read so far!
I bet your not reading Snotgirl.
This is a bet you'd lose. I've read just about everything O'Malley's done. Impatiently waiting for the next arc!
I read Trees v1 recently and loved it. Planning to read v2 this weekend.
Trees is awesome. So depressing, but it's a real quality comic!

Extraordinary X-Men #20
A beautiful issue to end this series. Yeah, it's been a tumultuous ride. It's had some great highs and some depressing lows, but at the end I enjoyed it and this final issue is heartwarming and hopeful. I would argue that this final issue is why I read X-Men.

The Ultimates^2 #5
Oh Ewing, you and your mastery of cosmic bullshit knows no bounds. The Ultimates kick ass, save for Carol, who does nothing. Also, nice callback to Ewing's The Mighty Avengers with Monica. So, here becomes my confusion:
what the fuck could the First Firmament be? Some hidden original being? Because it's not The One Above All. It's obviously not Eternity, because it's holding Eternity prisoner. It's not the Inbetweener because he's been absorbed so Chaos and Order could maintain their new form in Logos. Kronos, maybe? I don't think it's Infinity. Maybe Hate and Love did what Chaos and Order did and merged? I'll go out on a limb and say that it isn't Eon either. Also, Rodstov, I assume is serving this being. Which I have to say, begs the question, Rodstov got his powers from Dystopian Parallel, does that mean something similar could happen to America since her powers come from an equal-yet-opposite cosmic place? Or am I wrong about the nature of their powers?

It's a good cosmic mystery, to be sure, moreso for me because Cosmic Marvel has never been my expertise, though I have slowly been reading more and more of it.

Black Panther #12
Okay, first off, that last page is the most "glowing ominous possibly evil wizard" bullshit ever. Hilarious.

That said, this was a really good issue. Huge step up from the previous one, doing what Coates does best: deep, weighty dialogue dealing with philosophical and sociopolitical themes, and I think a lot of them are really great (specifically the bit about orphans). It's great to see T'Challa's arc come this far, but I'm really intrigued by
his pursuit of Ororo, and what that could mean. Also interesting that an orphan king would go to an orphan queen.

Strong issue. This book has regained my interest.

Aizo

Banned
I legitimately don't know what any of those words in yellow mean.
We are from different times haha. These are mostly bands my friends listened to in high school. Sonic Boom Six was good, when I saw them live in high school. British Ska/Punk band with a female singer.
Playing through DmC and man, I don't remember the story being so edgy. lol
Everything in that game is so edgy. Dammit. I can't not think of Donté with the handlebar mustache whenever this game is mentioned.

caliph95

The Ultimates^2 #5
Oh Ewing, you and your mastery of cosmic bullshit knows no bounds. The Ultimates kick ass, save for Carol, who does nothing. Also, nice callback to Ewing's The Mighty Avengers with Monica. So, here becomes my confusion:
what the fuck could the First Firmament be? Some hidden original being? Because it's not The One Above All. It's obviously not Eternity, because it's holding Eternity prisoner. It's not the Inbetweener because he's been absorbed so Chaos and Order could maintain their new form in Logos. Kronos, maybe? I don't think it's Infinity. Maybe Hate and Love did what Chaos and Order did and merged? I'll go out on a limb and say that it isn't Eon either. Also, Rodstov, I assume is serving this being. Which I have to say, begs the question, Rodstov got his powers from Dystopian Parallel, does that mean something similar could happen to America since her powers come from an equal-yet-opposite cosmic place? Or am I wrong about the nature of their powers?

It's a good cosmic mystery, to be sure, moreso for me because Cosmic Marvel has never been my expertise, though I have slowly been reading more and more of it.

Strong issue. This book has regained my interest.
Considering his wording of
"when there was only one universe etc" and then "when there was only i", either that he was the only or the first being in existence. More likely or what i think he could the first universes version of eternity which happens since technically Galactus is half eternity from the previous universe. That or he just the abstract representative of the first universe. Either way he likely was some cosmic being from the first universe

Everything in that game is so edgy. Dammit. I can't not think of Donté with the handlebar mustache whenever this game is mentioned.
When I first played through it I thought it was an interesting reimagining of DMC 1 and 3 but now some of the writing is super forced. Vergil is fine for the most part but Dante doesn't hold up now. The faux Fox News and Bill O'Reilly character is still good.

I have actually not read these. I know of them... I'll check them out!

Maybe you'll find some good stuff there then, my apologises if they don't end up being your thing haha. Like you my actual favourite favourite Image books are probably Southern Bastards, Lazarus, Deadly Class and Saga, no real order of preference there, but those were the ones less people seem to read but imo are awesome, especially Rumble.

I cannot believe that Goldfinger, Hatebreed, and Sick of it All are still bands.

Haha, I thought the lead singer of Goldfinger had moved on to producing chart bands, pretty sure he was the *mastermind* behind the last few Blink 182 albums.

I'm honestly more surprised by the revelation a lot of us seem to have had kinda similar tastes in music growing up. Did we get retconned by gaf editorial to have mysteriously linked pasts? Dun dun dun.

Considering his wording of
"when there was only one universe etc" and then "when there was only i", either that he was the only or the first being in existence. More likely or what i think he could the first universes version of eternity which happens since technically Galactus is half eternity from the previous universe. That or he just the abstract representative of the first universe. Either way he likely was some cosmic being from the first universe

My money is on "new entity" but if I'm forced to point to something that already exists, this thing being Oblivion (or an aspect thereof, like Chaos King) is the only thing that makes sense.

Oblivion represents the nothingness that predated everything- and as an opposing force to Eternity and Infinity it's strong enough to chain eternity (without being able to outright defeat it..thus the complicated scheme to have eternity collapse in on itself) but higher up the totem pole than Order and Chaos are and able to play them both like fools if it wants.

Rodstzvow being born out of something that literally embodies universal annihilation and a return to zero makes narrative sense from that angle.

shingi70

Banned
I'm just wondering how warped tour is still a thing, I didn't think that style of music was still popular because I liked it as teen but being 24 I now listen to mostly indie stuff. All the popular warped tour bands from my day either don't exist or changed their sound like fallout boy.

caliph95

My money is on "new entity" but if I'm forced to point to something that already exists, this thing being Oblivion (or an aspect thereof, like Chaos King) is the only thing that makes sense.

Oblivion represents the nothingness that predated everything- and as an opposing force to Eternity and Infinity it's strong enough to chain eternity (without being able to outright defeat it..thus the complicated scheme to have eternity collapse in on itself) but higher up the totem pole than Order and Chaos are and able to play them both like fools if it wants.

Rodstzvow being born out of something that literally embodies universal annihilation and a return to zero makes narrative sense from that angle.
Also on the Ultimates thing slight spoiler Al wing does sort of clarifies it a bit
https://twitter.com/Adinaieros/status/844689883440562178

Top Bottom