• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyover

Yeah.

As much as I like the show, the OST hasn't really been that memorable IMO.

It's not the best, is it? The good thing about the show is that it doesn't really rely too much on the music. It's almost a good thing that you rarely notice it. I think a soundtrack that's too "good" (read: melodic) could be distracting and work against the feel of the show.

The opening theme is okay. I like it fine. It at least has a distinct (and memorable) melody, in a place where you do want one. Even when using DVR, I watch the opening, to get me in the frame of mind for the show.

Vyer

I don't think many people really wanted it to be a 1:1 adaptation, especially since they're trying to do over a thousand pages of story in just ten episodes.

But if they did and are upset by the changes made to ease the story along or amplify the drama, I have nothing but respect for them. They're entitled to that.

It wasn't reasonable or logical to expect that, IMO, especially not considering the medium or source material. It's almost never done. Don't know why anyone would come into this with that expectation.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's not the best, is it? The good thing about the show is that it doesn't really rely too much on the music. It's almost a good thing that you rarely notice it. I think a soundtrack that's too "good" (read: melodic) could be distracting and work against the feel of the show.

The opening theme is okay. I like it fine. It at least has a distinct (and memorable) melody, in a place where you do want one. Even when using DVR, I watch the opening, to get me in the frame of mind for the show.
I stopped watching the opening after my multiple viewings of the BR set. I think I blame the kids and their rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92ukx0A2fk

bengraven

It wasn't reasonable or logical to expect that, IMO, especially not considering the medium or source material. It's almost never done. Don't know why anyone would come into this with that expectation.

And we have the closest adaptation on screen of any other book-to-TV series.

Fans lament how different True Blood, Gossip Girl, Good Christian Bitches, Dexter and "Legend of the Seeker" are from their counterparts.

Hardcore fans tend to feel like they exclusively own whatever franchise or original work they're invested in. When new people enter the fray due to an adaptation, the old fans get even more protective, and often seem more interested in what's different than what's good. I notice how many of the hugest fans of the books almost never compliment the show's technical aspects, acting, locations, etc. Any analysis is almost firmly based on who does or doesn't look like their mental picture from the novels, and how some change didn't work, was unnecessary, and various budget complaints that are beyond naive.

Peter Dinklage doesn't look anything like the book Tyrion but he handles the role beyond perfectly. Charles Dance has hair and is older than the bald Tywin Lannister of the books, yet his performance is great. Harenhel isn't nearly as big as it is in the novels, yet it looks wonderful. Etc. I don't want a direct 1:1 adaption because it would not work as a live action show or film (I'd love to see an animated version though).

My only adaptation problems arise when the show gets a character wrong (Littlefinger) or nixes a favorite scene of mine (The Tickler...). Other than that I accept the show for what it is: a separate entity from the books. I think it's great being able to have news and results to look forward to every year with this show. That's not the case for the books, which take forever to come out. I'm happy the show exists, and even if it's cancelled after next season I'll be fine; we would have gotten three years of a show that wasn't bad. How many fantasy works can have that said of them?

Arment

As a reader of the book, the episodes that change from the book the most actually entertain me more. Anything new makes me feel like I'm experiencing it for the first time again. Anything old is merely gauged on how accurate it is from the book.

Rawr rawr purple eyes rawr.

Would contacts have been so hard? :-/

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I know they tried, but they were not able to do the purple eyes for the Targaryens. You can do colored contact lenses, but that’s difficult for the actors and doesn’t always look right anyway. I have some great fans, but some of them get a little obsessive about things like that and are going to go crazy. But I’ve worked in Hollywood too long to worry about things like that. I’ve been on the other side of the process.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/game-of-thrones-hbo-george-r-r-martin/

I also remember they saying on the BR set that they tried it with contacts and they lost a lot in the performance because of them.

FStop7

Banned
There is obviously no
chain trap, or Tyrion would have ordered the rings by now.
So no chain towers=no Bronn being away. It'll be him that saves Tyrion.
Bromance continues.
Poderick will probably be killed off, the cast is too big already with more characters still coming in.

You mean
Bronnmance

gutshot

tumblr_m3vpjsGUcH1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

BOSS

FStop7

Banned
The only time I think that Dinklage has been a bit over the top was at the beginning of his exchange with Joffery just as they get to safety. He seems like the situation is so dire but the problem is the riot was just atrocious due to shitty extras and the stupid body parts getting ripped apart.

My only beef with the riot is that there weren't nearly enough people. The crowd should have been like 3 times the size.

As a reader of the book, the episodes that change from the book the most actually entertain me more. Anything new makes me feel like I'm experiencing it for the first time again. Anything old is merely gauged on how accurate it is from the book.

not any harder than just accepting that it is what it is...

Tess3ract

Banned
The only time I think that Dinklage has been a bit over the top was at the beginning of his exchange with Joffery just as they get to safety. He seems like the situation is so dire but the problem is the riot was just atrocious due to shitty extras and the stupid body parts getting ripped apart.
What

What the hell am I reading

Zeliard

Hardcore fans tend to feel like they exclusively own whatever franchise or original work they're invested in. When new people enter the fray due to an adaptation, the old fans get even more protective, and often seem more interested in what's different than what's good. I notice how many of the hugest fans of the books almost never compliment the show's technical aspects, acting, locations, etc. Any analysis is almost firmly based on who does or doesn't look like their mental picture from the novels, and how some change didn't work, was unnecessary, and various budget complaints that are beyond naive.

Shooting on-location in Iceland = met with a shrug at most

Dany doesn't show a glimpse of her dragons in opening Qarth scene = omg worst scene ever why didn't she show her dragons lol CGI budget

Shooting on-location in Iceland = met with a shrug at most

Dany doesn't show a glimpse of her dragons in opening Qarth scene = omg worst scene ever why didn't she show her dragons lol CGI budget

shooting two separate first units at once is crazy enough and is astounding they pulled it off. amazing production stuff. This show will be the standard for shooting epic high budget television for years to come.

I've been listening the LotR soundtrack today at work and I keep imaging how incredible it would be if Howard Shore composed some music for Game of Thrones. Anyone else with me?

I wish they had gotten Jeff Beal to do it. He's done music for 3 HBO shows so far (unless i'm missing something, didnt know he did music for Luck until halfway through the season.) He might be my favorite composer period for his work on Carnivale and Rome. I bet he would have done an amazing job with GoT

Big-E

What

What the hell am I reading

It is the truth. The riot was not executed well. We have a group of people descending on the guy slowly and then all of a sudden they yank the limbs from his body. A poster before said it looked like a shitty zombie movie and it did. The riot just seemed to have been done poorly but it is probably a budget issue. This is why when Dinklage yells you idiot it seems out of place because what we just saw did not seem so dire but a little stupid.

Kuroyume

Banned
Something just occured to me... They killed Amory Lorch with a fucking feather. Wasn't he killed by
a bear
in the book? I guess Tywin being there fucks everything up. Those chapters in the book were my favorites. I think only the Sansa and Tyrion chapters could possibly compare. So many cool things that likely won't happen now...
Gregor amputating Varrgo bit by bit... Or how the hell are they going to explain Jaime getting his stump or Brienne fighting the bear
FUCK :( This change was so stupid. I'm open to stuff like more Littlefinger or more Robb but this Harrenhal stuff has been mishandled.

iamblades

Something just occured to me... They killed Amory Lorch with a fucking feather. Wasn't he killed by
a bear
in the book? I guess Tywin being there fucks everything up. Those chapters in the book were my favorites. I think only the Sansa and Tyrion chapters could possibly compare. So many cool things that likely won't happen now...
Gregor amputating Varrgo bit by bit... Or how the hell are they going to explain Jaime getting his stump or Brienne fighting the bear
FUCK :( This change was so stupid. I'm open to stuff like more Littlefinger or more Robb but this Harrenhal stuff has been mishandled.

Don't see what the Amory Lorch change has to do with the latter issues.

obviously the bear scene could've been cool, but everything meaningful involving Vargo could still happen just as it did in the books, more or less. even the brienne bear fight could still happen though it would be much less exciting. Of course Vargo and the bloody mummers may not get the proper build up in a condensed time frame, but it's hard to judge as of yet.

The Harrenhal changes are the least problematic of the changes they've made for the show. The change with Ygritte's introduction and the changes to Dany's story are the only ones that don't fit and don't make sense. I'm still giving them time to find a place to take those plots where they make sense though..

a bear

They can barely do wolves, how are they going to do a bear?

The only bear I need is the one that goes to the fair.

Theon has the most memorable music in this series short of the theme song. I can't really remember any other tracks from this series.

Yeah, I don't know why, but Theon always gets the best music. The North theme is pretty good though.

Don't see what the Amory Lorch change has to do with the latter issues.

obviously the bear scene could've been cool, but everything meaningful involving Vargo could still happen just as it did in the books, more or less. even the brienne bear fight could still happen though it would be much less exciting. Of course Vargo and the bloody mummers may not get the proper build up in a condensed time frame, but it's hard to judge as of yet.

The Harrenhal changes are the least problematic of the changes they've made for the show. The change with Ygritte's introduction and the changes to Dany's story are the only ones that don't fit and don't make sense. I'm still giving them time to find a place to take those plots where they make sense though..

Made sense to me.

scosher

Speculating here, but I get the sense in the next episode, Jon will wake up and find Ygritte has escaped. He didn't exactly bind her tightly.

iamblades

Speculating here, but I get the sense in the next episode, Jon will wake up and find Ygritte has escaped. He didn't exactly bind her tightly.

It's still a silly change, makes Jon look weak and indecisive, makes Qhorin seem cruel and stupid. For what benefit? A poorly done action scene where Jon chases Ygritte down and ties her up? Like I said I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt on those changes, but they just seem iffy at this point.

q_q

It's still a silly change, makes Jon look weak and indecisive, makes Qhorin seem cruel and stupid. For what benefit? A poorly done action scene where Jon chases Ygritte down and ties her up? Like I said I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt on those changes, but they just seem iffy at this point.

What change? Besides Jon chasing after her it happened exactly as it did in the book. I'm not following you.

frequency

I don't really care what changes they make with Jon. As long as he gets more screen time!

They can take away all the Dany scenes and replace them with more Jon. Then this TV series would be like the best thing ever.

iamblades

What change? Besides Jon chasing after her it happened exactly as it did in the book. I'm not following you.

in the book he let her go willingly, he made a decision and took the consequences for his decision, he didn't swing and pull his swing at the last minute and bash his sword up against a rock then have a stupid chase/fight with her. Also because we haven't seen the follow up scene with Qhorin yet, it just makes him and the other rangers look stupid cause they ran off and left the new guy to do the execution, as opposed to Qhorin knowing he wouldn't kill her

It just makes everyone involves seem illogical if not just stupid.

q_q

in the book he let her go willingly, he made a decision and took the consequences for his decision, he didn't swing and pull his swing at the last minute and bash his sword up against a rock then have a stupid chase/fight with her. Also because we haven't seen the follow up scene with Qhorin yet, it just makes him and the other rangers look stupid cause they ran off and left the new guy to do the execution, as opposed to Qhorin knowing he wouldn't kill her

It just makes everyone involves seem illogical if not just stupid.

That's it? He still made a decision not to kill her, it was just shown visually rather than spoken. Plus it shows that he struggled with the decision because he understood the consequences. And the second part will happen next episode I'm sure.

I really don't get the point of budget complaints this far into the series; people should get it by now that this isn't LOTR. I feel like many book purists don't give the show any credit, and instead focus on what isn't being shown. Having dragons flying around in every Dany scene, or direwolves chilling in every Bran/Robb/Jon scene, or turning every battle into a massive action piece etc costs money and ultimately doesn't make the show better. I'd rather have that money spent increasing the scale of important things, like making the climax of this season more epic - and luckily the creators agree.

The books are unfilmable in a direct 1:1 ratio. We knew there would be budget issues from the get go, even with HBO. While I understand complaining when something looks legit bad (like say, Dany's wedding or the Hand's tourney), complaining that Harenhel is "not big enough" and things along those lines make no sense.
But I don't get why book purists would be making this complaint? The book was always very sparing on actual action and battle scenes, it almost always felt like a TV show because it seemed to work around the battles for a large part

IF they were to take liberties and increase the battle or focus on such it wouldn't be true to the source material

iamblades

That's it? He still made a decision not to kill her, it was just shown visually rather than spoken. Plus it shows that he struggled with the decision because he understood the consequences. And the second part will happen next episode I'm sure.

it was silly and dumbed the whole thing down, and as I said it made him seem weak and indecisive, which he isn't in the book.
If the Qhorin part is shown nest week and done well, it will get rid of some of my concerns, so we will see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom