• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0. Why I have not played this before?

I got y 0 because of gaf and I'm surprised on how good the story is, I don't even do many side missions but I'm having fun

Is there a way to see how many hours I've played?

yansolo

If you've played Y3, then do it in this order.

Y3 -> Y4 -> Y5 -> Y0 -> Y:Kiwami -> Y6

You'll be playing it in release order so that's good. Only downside is missing out on Y2 but you can go to that one after Y:Kiwami

Ive got like an ocd thing when it comes to games with more than one entry where I have to play the prequels first even though I've only played Y3 (never had the original ps2 ones), but from what ive read these games aren't continuing stories? so I guess its ok to play them in that order

Woodchipper

Holy shit. I've heard people talk about this game but never bothered looking into it for some weird ass reason. Looks insane! I'm already late to the Persona 5 party though and I'm only about 30 hours in, but man, I need to play this sometime.

Holy shit. I've heard people talk about this game but never bothered looking into it for some weird ass reason. Looks insane! I'm already late to the Persona 5 party though and I'm only about 30 hours in, but man, I need to play this sometime.
Please do, I am having such an awesome time, I can't stop playing it , it's been several months since a game made me feel that way

Ive got like an ocd thing when it comes to games with more than one entry where I have to play the prequels first even though I've only played Y3 (never had the original ps2 ones), but from what ive read these games aren't continuing stories? so I guess its ok to play them in that order
The characters do show up more than once but yes, the games are largely standalone.

It's why I recommended that order because you get to play them in release order, don't have to worry too much about going back to the games with less developed systems and still won't feel lost in the story.

man, just finished chapter 4. WOW, I love Goro Majima, what a great character and story line

tumblr_omcvsmYooE1qjztgpo1_400.gif

My copy arrived at work today, might fire it up tonight. Any tips before playing, or just jump in and let it wash over me?

Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.

Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.

Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.

The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.

And finally:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Never played the Yakusa series. Would this entry be recommended for new comers?
Yes.

Yakuza 0 is the perfect entry point into the series for newcomers. The story is a prequel that happens before every other game in the series so you'll get introduced to the characters with no issues. The game does not assume you know anything about the characters.

After Yakuza 0, you can move on to Yakuza: Kiwami which is releasing on 30th August. It's a remake of the first game, and happens directly after Yakuza 0.

The Yakuza games are mainly standalone. Some characters might show up twice or thrice but other than that, the stories don't really assume any knowledge of the past games.

Some more opinions.
I'm just like you and 0 works fine as a story and a good place for a newcomer

Starting from 0 is fine. I wasn't lost at all.

Yakuza 4 was my first entry to the series, and I really enjoyed it. 0 is by far my favorite game in the series, for now. I can't wait for Kiwami. I might not get Yakuza 5, and just watch the cut scenes on youtube to be ready for Yakuza 6. I want to play 2 but will wait for the remake.

SScorpio

Yakuza 4 was my first entry to the series, and I really enjoyed it. 0 is by far my favorite game in the series, for now. I can't wait for Kiwami. I might not get Yakuza 5, and just watch the cut scenes on youtube to be ready for Yakuza 6. I want to play 2 but will wait for the remake.

I just started by 0 playthrough, so I can't fully compare it yet. But 5 gave some of the wackiest moments with the side story mini games. It's worth playing just to run around as Haruka and doing dance battles in the street.

As someone who's just now caught up on the English releases. They're all great, but I would place 5 as the series low point. Still definitely worth playing, but I enjoyed 1-4 more. I also don't think watching the string of cutscenes would be that enjoyable, but to each their own.

Y5 is also the longest game in the series I believe.

Humdinger

There's like 3 Yakuza threads bouncing around on the first few pages. That's pretty cool.

Just finished Yakuza 0 last night, and I'm definitely a fan now. It took me a long time reading and mulling it over, before I was willing to jump in, but man, what a great, one-of-a-kind game. I posted my thoughts in the other thread ("What black magic"), so I won't repeat them here, but ... great story, great characters, fun combat, great sense of humor. Should not be missed.

Top Bottom