• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TopGear USA - Big Thread of V-8s, Burnouts, and F*** Yeahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esiquio

This show is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The Continental Divide episode has so many gorgeous shots, you can tell that the production value is quite high. Although some things seem scripted, I end up laughing at this show way more than pretty much any shitty sitcom. Can't wait for the finale.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Awesome episode. We had a Yugo when I was a kid. For a family of 6. We all drove 250 miles in it one time when moving. A family of 6, ages 5-13 and two parents.

Al-ibn Kermit

It was nearly constant laughs, one of the best episodes of Top Gear imo (US or UK).

Did they have a similar shitty car challenge in the UK version? I can't remember any.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not that I can remember, but they definitely should have one.

They did. The had a segment about why English car companies were regarded as terrible and what were the worst cars they made.

I agree though, hilarious episode.

Kabouter

They did. The had a segment about why English car companies were regarded as terrible and what were the worst cars they made.

I agree though, hilarious episode.

Really? You have a link? I don't remember them having to pick out the worst of their output.

ascii42

Really? You have a link? I don't remember them having to pick out the worst of their output.

That's true. They actually defended the British Leyland cars. It was the producers that said they were terrible. Top Gear US had a good idea of having the hosts buy the cars for another host. I don't think Top Gear UK has done that.

AlphaSnake

I could be wrong, but I felt like I recall them doing something similar.

If not, more power to Top Gear US. The show is simply scolding hot and on fire.

Kabouter

I could be wrong, but I felt like I recall them doing something similar.

If not, more power to Top Gear US. The show is simply scolding hot and on fire.

Yeah, they didn't. They did British sports cars which they all defended, and British Leyland which they also all defended. So yeah, would definitely love to see them buy eachother the worst possible cars.

I just saw the limo episode and the worst car episode, both great. I gotta say I was laughing my ass off at the limo episode. One of my favorites so far!!

abuC

Just watched the season finale, Im starting to love this show now, I think we need to see a UK/US crossover episode. Also, anyone notice they only let Tanner drive the expensive supercars lol.

Top Gear USA Returns August 14, Sixteen Episodes Planned

Whether you love the flannel-clad antics of Rutledge Wood, the humor of Adam Ferrara, or the behind-the-wheel skill of Tanner Foust, the most American version of Top Gear will be back on The History Channel this summer, starting up August 14th at 9 p.m. Eastern. A total of sixteen episodes are planned for the new season.

Though Top Gear USA started out a bit shakily, its first season was successful enough with gearheads and normal folks alike to earn it a second go. The third season will see six episodes aired before the break, with another ten to come in the new year.

The news of the show's return comes to us through a tweet from Rutledge Wood. The details of timing and episode count follow Adam Ferrara's May confirmation of the show's return for its third season.

With sixteen new episodes on tap, the show's current 26-episode catalog will grow by more than half--and we're likely to see the trio push the boundaries of crazy, weird, and/or pointless scenarios. And we're almost certain to see Adam crash something previously thought to be uncrashable.

AlphaSnake

Yay, 16 episodes!

Nay...only 6 and then a huuuuge ass break until New Year 2013 for the remaining 10. Wtf :(

ascii42

Yay, 16 episodes!

Nay...only 6 and then a huuuuge ass break until New Year 2013 for the remaining 10. Wtf :(

That's weird. Last year's split made sense. They filmed 10, and went back and filmed 6 more later. I wonder what the reason is this time. Maybe they are waiting until later in the year to film some stuff.

blanky

There doesn't seem to be a thread for the next season yet, someone should get on it already! Starts tonight if I'm correct, 'police cars', it's called.

H3xum

Excellllllleeennnttttt

Last season I really came around on the guys as team and enjoyed it as much as the UK's latest effort

ascii42

There doesn't seem to be a thread for the next season yet, someone should get on it already! Starts tonight if I'm correct, 'police cars', it's called.
Well, technically, Season 3 is just starting now.

At first, I thought it was going to be like TGUK's police car challenge.
From History's website, it looks like they are testing out the replacements for the Crown Vic, so the Dodge Charger, Chevy Caprice, and Ford Police Intercepter. Should be interesting.

Kabouter

Well, technically, Season 3 is just starting now.

At first, I thought it was going to be like TGUK's police car challenge.
From History's website, it looks like they are testing out the replacements for the Crown Vic, so the Dodge Charger, Chevy Caprice, and Ford Police Intercepter. Should be interesting.

Seems like an opportunity to do both. First compare the replacements for the Crown Vic, then see if each can come up with a better replacement. But who knows, maybe not.

ascii42

Seems like an opportunity to do both. First compare the replacements for the Crown Vic, then see if each can come up with a better replacement. But who knows, maybe not.

That's true. They did have the cool idea of also driving the classic versions when they tested the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. If they had a full hour, they probably could, but I'm not sure they can really do both in a 40 minute episode. We'll see.

Kabouter

That's true. They did have the cool idea of also driving the classic versions when they tested the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. If they had a full hour, they probably could, but I'm not sure they can really do both in a 40 minute episode. We'll see.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. If they just axed the big star, small car segment, which has never actually been any good, they might have the time, but even then it's a tight fit in 43 minutes.

Meier

Thanks for the bump -- I assume my DVR is still set but I'll double check. Woohoo for 16 episodes too! That's awesome.

Edit: Yep, busy night apparently! Top Gear, Master Chef, Eastbound and Down and Storage Wars set to record. Love the TWC iPhone app.

Pretty good first episode back. I thought it was pretty obvious that they would ensure that
Tanner
won the challenges and got to
race the motorcycle in the Corvette
. Adam would probably shit himself driving the
Z06 through that tight course.

ascii42

Pretty good first episode back. I thought it was pretty obvious that they would ensure that
Tanner
won the challenges and got to
race the motorcycle in the Corvette
. Adam would probably shit himself driving the
Z06 through that tight course.

Yeah. I have a feeling that
Tanner would have won regardless of which car he got

So damn glad this show is back.

Awesome episode that I hope is the template for more to come. It was all challenges with fast cars. No celebrities, couch yapping or watching their agonizingly slow laps. Just a lot of tire smoke and talking shit with great cinematography.

If this show had a better soundtrack it'd be the perfect US representative for the series.

Gotta admit, I was rooting for the Dodge. Its just looked like a beast.

ascii42

"Small Cars" was quite enjoyable. Next episode looks fun as well. I have to say that given a choice, I'd go with the Fiat. I wanted to like the Smart, but it just doesn't deliver. The Scion does nothing for me.

I loved the Peel segment just as much as Jeremy's on Top Gear UK. I get such a kick out of cars like that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How anyone can like the SMART car, I'll never know.

Fiat was decent though, and the tiny tiny one that Rutledge had at the end was good. Reminded me of Clarkson's bit back in the day.

Just caught the last two from the previous series on uk bbc. Improved no end from the first season. Particularly liked the buy each other the worst car one.

ascii42

Just caught the last two from the previous series on uk bbc. Improved no end from the first season. Particularly liked the buy each other the worst car one.

Yeah, that was a good idea on their part. The selections they each made were great as well. Rut's complete hatred of the Aztek kind of surprised me though. Given his sometimes unusual taste in cars, I half expected him to actually like the thing.

ascii42

Tonight's Top Gear US is titled "Cult Classics"

Could you own a classic car and not know it? The guys each get a car that they think is seriously undervalued and set out to reestablish its reputation before creating a live commercial in San Diego and attempting to make money on it. The two losers have to entertain two celebrities in a crazy race in equally crazy vehicles, and it gets out of control fast.

Akahige

Are they filming something in Massachusetts, I saw a semi-trailer truck with a his History Channel Top Gear logo all over it pulling over to rest just before my exit home. Looked like they could fit a few cars in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom