• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

No words.

oNqgUuK.jpg

I'm in the minority, but I found Bloodlines a tad too plodding in sections.

I also just finally got my ass in reading gear and finished Catalyst. It was OK, but I felt it started out reaaaallyyy slow.

I think my top 3 would be Lost Stars, Battlefront, and the 2nd Aftermath book.
I still need to read Twilight Company. Maybe I'll pick it up between Empire's End and Thrawn.

Malyse

The one thing I like most about Star Wars is how they pretty much don't do a ton of retreading. For example, the Star Wars comic isn't a retelling of the movie: it's set between 4 and 5. And everything else is its own thing too: the novels are different than the movies are different from the cartoon are different from the games etc.

It looks like the Rogue One Blu-Ray/DVD is going to be out by the end of March. A listing for a Rogue One magazine has turned up on Amazon. It comes out on the 28th and has this description.

As Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is released on DVD worldwide, The Official Mission Debrief presents an all-encompassing guide to the hugely successful movie, with unprecedented access to the making of the film, its stars, its crew and its stunning landscapes. Relive the latest movie in the world's biggest franchise over and over again. A must for any fan of Star Wars.

An excerpt of Empire's End has been released too. A certain old smoothie features.

So, with all the talk about The Last Jedi and if it's plural or not, I never stopped to think if that same question applied to Return of the Jedi. Couldn't the Jedi in Return of the Jedi be simply referring to Anakin returning from the dark side?

sphagnum

Banned
So, with all the talk about The Last Jedi and if it's plural or not, I never stopped to think if that same question applied to Return of the Jedi. Couldn't the Jedi in Return of the Jedi be simply referring to Anakin returning from the dark side?

Yes, it's a double meaning.

Surfinn

Yes, it's a double meaning.

I don't think there's an official response to this? I took it as a double meaning but that it's mainly referring to Luke's completion of the hero's journey (leaves, gains new knowledge/understanding/ability, returns home).

But the Vader meaning makes perfect sense too.

Any impressions on the Darth Maul comic's first issue?

It was solid. It did nothing ground breaking. It pretty much established what Bunn said he was going to do in interviews leading up to the book. Establish his rage and impatience. Nice art. Hopefully it develops into a memorable story.

There is a few nuances to his personality that I didn't mention, don't want to spoil everything.

SpaceWolf

Banned

This jpg is weak.

"The Stormtroopers from Star Wars weren't bad at shooting! Remember New Hope? They were instructed not to kill the heroes! As for in Empire? Ugh...let's skip over that film. In Jedi? Uh, the Ewoks must have been pretty tough to tie up Han, Luke and Chewie! So no wonder the Stormtroopers were unable to shoot them!

So anyway...okay, I guess, our argument doesn't hold together at all. But it's just a movie! Who cares?"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Plot armor is a thing. We follow Han, Leia and Luke through the movies and would be quiete boring when they where killed by a Stormtrooper platoon right two minutes after they arrived on the deathstar.

Edit: The Nazis were idiots, they didnt even managed to kill Indiana Jones, one single man while attacking with airplanes and tanks. How did they managed to conquer europe?!?

Woorloog

Banned
IIRC, someone calculated that Stormtroopers are as good as modern day special forces, at least when it comes to accuracy. (I would assume Clone Troopers are as good.)
So they're as good as their reputation in-universe claims... at least by ANH. It seems early Stormies that replaced Clones weren't quite as good, at least going by Ahsoka-novel. And those on Lothar seem particularly incompetent, must be a punishment duty.

The main characters not getting hit is plot armor, that's all there is to it. Finding a work of fiction without obvious plot armor is somewhat difficult in my experience...

Laser blasts make misses look way, way more exaggerated. Watch any shoot-out in any movie or TV show ever and pay close attention to the bullet-holes.

The Hollywood Reporter had a chat with Billy about his thoughts on Lando's return.

You recently had lunch with Donald Glover. What'd you talk about?

He’s a very delightful young man, I must say. We had a very nice lunch and we talked for a very long time and it was very easy. He had questions about [Lando]. I guess he was doing what normal actors do, they just want to find out what direction they want to take so they gather their information. So, we just sat and talked, and I didn’t want to impose on anything he wanted to do — he’s got his own ideas, I would imagine. I know he has his own ideas. He’s a very talented young man. In fact, I was listening to some of his music [Childish Gambino, Glover’s musical alter-ego] and it’s pretty good stuff.

He had recently said that he wasn’t “as cool” as you. Did you give him any pointers on being cool?

Well, nobody’s as cool as me. (Laughs.) That’s a tough way to go. No, I’m only joking. Donald is eclectic, I think that’s really important particularly for the character of Lando. He is particularly eclectic in the way he approaches his art. When I talked to him I really got the sense of him being a worldly person.

You had also recently said that the Star Wars producers should leave the character of Lando alone. Did you change your mind after speaking with Glover?

I don’t know. To me, I guess what it is that I identify so much with Lando. I mean, Lando has been very much a part of my life for over 30 years. When I go out and do conventions and stuff like that, even though people know me from all the other things that I’ve done, certainly [Lando] takes precedence. I just never thought of anybody else being Lando. I just see myself as Lando.

Is that hard, saying goodbye to a character or watching him take on a life after you?

Well, eventually something else has to happen with it. But I’m not saying goodbye to that character. It’s still very much a part of my life. I created that character.

Have you seen any of the recent Star Wars films that have come out?

I saw [The Force Awakens] and it was really good. I really enjoyed it, thoroughly.

Are you going to be making a cameo in the upcoming Han Solo stand-alone film?

I don’t know. It depends if they ask me to. I wouldn’t mind doing it.

Would you like to do it?

If they asked me, I wouldn’t say no.

My main question: Where the hell is Lando?

Well the Empire's End excerpt that was released recently shows he went back to Bespin after ROTJ, but it didn't sound like he'd be there long. He sent Leia a message of support after everyone found out Vader was her father six years before TFA, but there was no mention of where he was.

It'll be disappointing if he doesn't turn up at all in the sequel trilogy.

RT spoke to Jimmy Smits about his Rogue One cameo.

RT: There were reshoots to Rogue One. Did you do any different versions of your scenes, like when you say, “I trust her with my life?”

Smits: No. That was one of the reasons why I did it, because that little scene there meant a lot to me. I’m so happy that the film has done well, because it meant a lot, I think, to the franchise to do this whole thing that the standalone films would be just as substantive and good as the others, so that they can have a life themselves.

antonz

Heads up. Clone Wars may be leaving Netflix Next month on the 7th.

On a interesting note. Saw Sam Witwer playing Star Wars Galaxies on twitch today. brought back the memories of that game

Top Bottom