• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOE: eShop age restrictions for the greater good (Applies to all of Europe)

vitacola

Well German TV is allowed to broadcast mature content from 23:00 to 5:00 or 6:00 (I'm not sure). Just for clarification.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That seems to be the case. Though going by vitacola's post, it appears Nintendo is overdoing it.

Nintendo had time, resources, and tons of available case studies to analyze. They could have delivered a digital store without such restrictive policies.

Haunted

Nintendo had time, resources, and tons of available case studies to analyze. They could have been delivered a digital store properly.
It's one in a line of downright baffling decisions they've made.

This one might just take the cake in its own way, though. Ridiculous.

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo had time, resources, and tons of available case studies to analyze. They could have been delivered a digital store without such restrictive policies.
Honestly, neither one of us is a lawyer or an expert in pan European youth protection laws and has in-depth knowledge of NoEs operations, so it's pretty difficult to tell what would be involved in dealing with the issue, how much it would cost, and if it would be worth the effort.

An even more important thing to consider is the very PDF you linked a few hours ago: Until December 2010, it looked like there wouldn't be any legal hurdles. Client side parental controls should have been sufficient - but the new law fell through on December 16th. Since then, a revised JMStV is in the works, but it's going a lot slower than anticipated.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
can a mod clean up the thread title/OP in to something which clarifies the core details? while it seems like we're discovering something new every day, this so far seems like the single most egregious facet of the wiiu's clusterfuck infrastructure.

That seems to be the case. Though going by vitacola's post, it appears Nintendo is overdoing it.

I feel like they are, and it's frustrating. Why go through all that trouble of having an account based system when even you tell it you're over 18, and even have a credit card on it to prove it they still do that!

What if I have to wake up at 4 am, DID YOU THINK OF THAT NINTENDO!?

Wow. So everyone is locked out of 18+ content until the "curfew" is over? Surely this can only harm sales. I don't see why Nintendo need this and other systems do not. I wasn't a big fan of the Wii eShop and I can't see myself liking this either... Also, if I were working on an 18+ eShop only title I'd be pretty damn pissed off about now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Honestly, neither one of us is a lawyer or an expert in pan European youth protection laws and has in-depth knowledge of NoEs operations, so it's pretty difficult to tell what would be involved in dealing with the issue, how much it would cost, and if it would be worth the effort.

An even more important thing to consider is the very PDF you linked a few hours ago: Until December 2010, it looked like there wouldn't be any legal hurdles. Client side parental controls should have been sufficient - but the new law fell through on December 16th. Since then, a revised JMStV is in the works, but it's going a lot slower than anticipated.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I still do not think that while they raked in tons of money with DS, DS Lite, DSi, and Wii that they ought to have prepared their digital plans better and that we as consumers should not make up yet another excuse for them. Rushed 3DS launch, rushed Wii U launch, late in the online space, etc... They stated that they aimed at recapturing part of the core audience they did not fully cover with Wii U and IMHO this is not the way to do so.

You do have a point, I understand and appreciate your contributions to this thread in principle, but I dislike this situation more...

I continue to not regret cancelling my preorder. Why are you so anti-consumer, Nintendo? :(

Considering eshop prices on the games in question this is currently just an annoyance (hopefully one that if enough noise is made can eventually be sorted) hardly justification for cancelling a pre order

prwxv3

Holy shit. If someone just told me about this without the confirmation I would have thought it came from /v/. unbelievable.

impact

Banned
Considering eshop prices on the games in question this is currently just an annoyance (hopefully one that if enough noise is made can eventually be sorted) hardly justification for cancelling a pre order

"just an annoyance"?

Yea, sure. You can't fucking buy what you want to buy. This is a trainwreck, not an annoyance. I'm surprised this thread isn't 10 pages because this is one of the most anti-consumer things I've read recently.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yea, sure. You can't fucking buy what you want to buy. This is a trainwreck, not an annoyance. I'm surprised this thread isn't 10 pages because this is one of the most anti-consumer things I've read recently.

as i said, put it down down to the cryptic thread title and stumbling narrative OP. a mod really just needs to spell out:

18+ rated eShop store content cannot be viewed, purchased or downloaded before 11pm at night. This message still appears even if a user has parental controls turned off.

in big red text and make a suitably straightforward thread title.

"just an annoyance"?

No one that isn't completely brain dead should want to buy the games in question from the eshop right now due to the insane prices so at the moment it is just an annoyance

It will become far far more than an annoyance if the games ever go on sale or when download only 18 rated games get released

Haunted

No one that isn't completely brain dead should want to buy the games in question from the eshop right now due to the insane prices so at the moment it is just an annoyance

It will become far far more than an annoyance if the games ever go on sale or when download only 18 rated games get released
It's not about any practical concerns. The whole concept, the principle of the thing is so absolutely ludicrous that I'm sure GAF would fucking blow up over it (and rightfully so) if more people saw it.

This is some terrible damage control, and yes more people need to see this shit.

This is some terrible damage control, and yes more people need to see this shit.

Damage control is probably the wrong way to describe my current feelings on the subject, id say more like ive had nearly a week to get over the initial shock and at the moment it doesn't really cause any problems, having said that it doesnt mean i think this wont develop into a much bigger problem if nothing is done about it and yes something certainly does need doing about it

joe-lieberman-smirk.jpg

Diablos54

God damn it Nintendo, so stupid! You'd think they'd want to get sued or something... Oh wait.

And I don't think moving the NoE eShop from Germany to another country would be as easy some people in this thread are making out, you can't just flick a switch or something.

God damn it Nintendo, so stupid! You'd think they'd want to get sued or something... Oh wait.

And I don't think moving the NoE eShop from Germany to another country would be as easy some people in this thread are making out, you can't just flick a switch or something.

draw up some fairly simple legal papers transferring the eshop to a different subsidiary, edit a few lines of code, flick a switch

PKrockin

What is this, a joke? Not only are they limiting when you can access that content, but to a FOUR HOUR window? Are they mental?

I have to WORK during the night. If I lived in Europe what exactly would they expect me to do? I'll be contacting Nintendo about this.

prwxv3

Its probably because of the VGAs and un-specific thread title that the number of pages of this thread is low.

RedSwirl

We're talking about the one country in all of Europe that wants to use a different rating system with an obnoxiously huge logo even when the cases are very small (Vita cases almost look like a parody) and still outright bans games, they probably WOULD be insane and crack down there. And now that I know NoE's main branch is there that probably explains it, they may be more beholden to what Germany would want whereas the others might not care QUITE as much.

And I suspect this has to do with the videos and pictures, but why not just block video watching alone rather than the entire page? It doesn't seem like that restriction could actually apply to BUYING content.

I need to see this.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
UK resident here - Just tried to view the details of Assassin's Creed 3 at 5:25 AM and got this message. (Not even buying the game, just looking at its details.)

20121208053102.jpg

Now, while I've thoroughly enjoyed the Wii U so far, I do think this is ridiculous, given that I have disabled parental controls and can still view the MiiVerse for this game. In fact, it's my only actual gripe with the console. Nintendo really need to fix this.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just tested my 3DS. The eShop there has no problem with me viewing the details (and presumably downloading) Virtue's Last Reward. (Rated 16 for violence and language.)

Top Bottom