• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this sounds really dumb but do i have to use MediaGo to download my Vita stuff of psn to my PC then use that Vita app to copy it from my PC to my vita? I would use my ps3 but the LAN internet it REALLY slow here and I cant connect my Vita to the wifi cause it is enterprise WPA

You cannot use Media Go. You have to buy content either through PS3 or PSVita. You can use a separate application for Windows, Content Manager, to back up your games and saves.

Played some Uncharted and Wipeout, this thing is fantastic, it really is. Question about PSP games: how do I re-map the right analog stick?

While y9ou have your PSP loaded, press the touch screen for a seconds which will bring up a menu that includes re-assigning the right stick.

DBT85

Apologies if this has been covered already. Anyone in the UK getting the 3G version, I got confirmation about getting Wipeout for free and that you;ll get the download code within 24 hours of topping up unlike those in the US who have to wait 30 days apparently.

uk3G.jpg

Now i'm off to read the last 12 hours worth of posts!

You cannot use Media Go. You have to buy content either through PS3 or PSVita. You can use a separate application for Windows, Content Manager, to back up your games and saves.

Blah, I figured so. First I thought that the Content Manager would let me use my PC's connection to get on to the PSN store on my Vita. Alas, I am stuck using my slow connection on my PS3 >.<

This thing is hot sex.

FIFA and virtua tennis are ps3 games. I don't know what kind of black magic got them onto my vita looking like this... but goddamn. These aren't 'like console game' they are goddamn console games.

This thing is hot sex.

Dineren

Banned
The UPS driver showed up a few hours later than usual, but I finally got a hold of it! Really liking the interface so far. Unfortunately I have no games at the moment besides Little Deviants. Only one I was planning on getting was Shinobido 2, but I forgot it wasn't coming out until next week.

aro52

FIFA and virtua tennis are ps3 games. I don't know what kind of black magic got them onto my vita looking like this... but goddamn. These aren't 'like console game' they are goddamn console games.

Which one of those should I pick up first?
I'm not a huge soccer (sorry, football) fan, but it looks slick; especially the way you kick goals!
On the flip side, I was crazy addicted to Sega Sports Tennis on PS2. Is VT4 similar to that?

PaulLFC

Do I spend £10 on a Barrier Chief screen protector or not? Considering it, even though it's a bit more expensive than the other screen protectors. I've learned my lesson after the iPhone - bought a cheaper screen protector at first which was horrible, then paid the extra for a PhoneDevil one and had no problems with it at all.

Yuripaw

Banned
I feel like the 4 gig card is already cramping me. I want a huge ass card, but not yet...As soon as the 32 gig goes on sale, I'm on it.

Yeah, I'm already feeling this, and I only got a few PSP games on my memory stick.

The thing I was talking about with a friend of mine though, because he was looking to go mostly digital with the Vita. Cheaper price, and less hassle to switch games. However looking at some of the sizes of the games, I feel like it wouldn't be long at all before even a 32GB would seem like not enough space. Games like Uncharted, and Blazblue are already over 3GB each. Even if I had a 32GB card myself, I would be hesitant to buy either of those games digitally.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh, that explains the speed. I wanted to just do the whole process on a computer.

That's what I ended up doing but I left the Vita part where it had the long digit numbers I needed open. It was seamless on the PC but delayed on the Vita. Plus you can do the redemption of the promo easier on PC.

PaulLFC

I'm not a huge soccer (sorry, football) fan, but it looks slick; especially the way you kick goals!
On the flip side, I was crazy addicted to Sega Sports Tennis on PS2. Is VT4 similar to that?
I'm pretty sure Sega Sports Tennis was the US name for Virtua Tennis 2, although I could be wrong. If it was, then yes, VT4 is similar, and very good. FIFA probably has more longevity but if you don't like football then you might not enjoy it that much. The demo units over here have demos of both VT4 and FIFA, so if you can find a demo unit in store it might be best to try them both out and see which you like best.

Yuripaw

Banned
So this is the "I can't believe I'm playing this on a handheld" feeling I've been wanting for so long. Amazing device.

I dunno, this isn't the first time I had that feeling. Maybe people just are forgetful, but the PSP launched in Japan in late 2004, and early 2005 in the US. Maybe I felt it more than most people because I did import a PSP at the time, but I totally got that "i can't believe I'm playing this on a handheld" when I got my PSP. The screen was unlike anything else on the market at the time. The Xbox 360, or PS3 were not out yet, so we only had PS2/Xbox/GC to compare it to, and PSP games were just as good looking as PS2 games at the time.

EDIT: the only thing that worries me about the Vita, is if in a year or 2 the same thing happens to the Vita that happened to the PSP. New console hardware comes out, and is more powerful, so Vita isn't as impressive anymore, because it no longer is quite as powerful as the home console experience yet again.

RoylAsult

how do you change your panel that shows up on your friends list? i know it was mentioned here but i have no idea what page that was on lol

Bebpo

Banned
The interface for this thing is really slick. Just wish it didn't fall asleep in 60 seconds all the time. Need to find that in the options and turn it off. Wish I remembered my PSN password so I could log in and check out the online but I'm at work and I don't know any of my passwords off the top of my head ^^;

legbone

So this is the "I can't believe I'm playing this on a handheld" feeling I've been wanting for so long. Amazing device.

yep. i haven't been this impressed at a hardware launch since the dreamcast. this is single handedly the best piece of hardware i have laid my hands on since i started gaming. just plain amazing. if this thing fails it's not because of the hardware that's for sure. and i don't give a shit if this thing fails or not. i will never regret buying this. call me crazy but this is my favorite console. i really hope sony pulls off something as impressive for the playstation 4. my only concern is the possibility of a 4g revision in the near future.

Piggus

I dunno, this isn't the first time I had that feeling. Maybe people just are forgetful, but the PSP launched in Japan in late 2004, and early 2005 in the US. Maybe I felt it more than most people because I did import a PSP at the time, but I totally got that "i can't believe I'm playing this on a handheld" when I got my PSP. The screen was unlike anything else on the market at the time. The Xbox 360, or PS3 were not out yet, so we only had PS2/Xbox/GC to compare it to, and PSP games were just as good looking as PS2 games at the time.

I got a PSP at launch, but it didn't give me the same feeling that this Vita does. I remember being impressed by Ridge Racer back then but on the Vita it's a combination of things.

Blah, I figured so. First I thought that the Content Manager would let me use my PC's connection to get on to the PSN store on my Vita. Alas, I am stuck using my slow connection on my PS3 >.<

Sony dropped the ball on that, I think they are working on Media Go solution for Vita, but it will take some time.

VT4 is the best looking game on Vita + it runs at 60FPS. If you like tennis go for it. The manual has 20 pages on different ways you can hit the ball and position yourself on the court.

Is it possible to set up 3G without being connected to Wifi on the Vita?
Yeah. It's so jank slow. It took me 5 minutes to get my phone number punched in cuz the page is slow.

Also... where do I get my PS+? My subscription expired after my PS3 died... so I want to renew it, and get my PSP games and shit back.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I'm already feeling this, and I only got a few PSP games on my memory stick.

The thing I was talking about with a friend of mine though, because he was looking to go mostly digital with the Vita. Cheaper price, and less hassle to switch games. However looking at some of the sizes of the games, I feel like it wouldn't be long at all before even a 32GB would seem like not enough space. Games like Uncharted, and Blazblue are already over 3GB each. Even if I had a 32GB card myself, I would be hesitant to buy either of those games digitally.

I have no desire to go fully digital - with sales, specials, etc., I can flesh out my library for the same cost/cheaper. And realistically, and decent case will be able to hold 4+ games. The thing I want to do, though, is be able to store more PSN games. Between Gods Eater Burst, MJ The Experience (thanks Ubisoft), and save data, I've only got 1288 MB left. I don't think that's enough for DJ Max 3 or MHFU, so that's a bust. I can toss FF for PS1 on here, which is cool, but not exactly what I wanted.

Anyways, digital is great and all, but we'd need a 3rd part 64gb card before that would be viable I imagine.

Also, I just found a $5 reward that I have on my Best Buy account. Time to go buy something.

anddo0

"Your Amazon.com order of "PlayStation Vita First Edi..." has shipped!"

*Sheds a tear*

It shall be a glorious morning! I anticipate my Vita will be delivered between 10:30-11:30am :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The interface for this thing is really slick. Just wish it didn't fall asleep in 60 seconds all the time. Need to find that in the options and turn it off. Wish I remembered my PSN password so I could log in and check out the online but I'm at work and I don't know any of my passwords off the top of my head ^^;

settings/power save settings/auto standby. power save is right at the bottom of the list

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You can set that to 3 or 5 minutes as well so you know.

aro52

I'm pretty sure Sega Sports Tennis was the US name for Virtua Tennis 2, although I could be wrong. If it was, then yes, VT4 is similar, and very good. FIFA probably has more longevity but if you don't like football then you might not enjoy it that much. The demo units over here have demos of both VT4 and FIFA, so if you can find a demo unit in store it might be best to try them both out and see which you like best.

Ugh. Why don't they put all these extra demos (like Gravity Rush) up on PSN already?! I'm gonna have my own Vita, in my hands, when I get home from work in about 45 minutes! I shouldn't have to go fight some little brat at Best Buy that is hogging the demo unit!

Nevertheless, I think I'm gonna go for VT4. I can wait for FIFA to come down in price.

Victrix

*beard*
I don't really have any interest in any of the launch titles

... and yet I still have an irrational desire to own a Vita, it's such a sexy piece of hardware

I suppose I should restrain myself until something comes along that I just have to play

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm having an issue setting the system up.

I get up to the step before you put in your PSN ID information, but then it stops me and says a System Update is required.

But how do I update the firmware if I can't even get to the main menu??

Lol looks like this silly thing carried over from the Japanese launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom