• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

wsippel

Banned
Was anyone considering something different? When people say rv700 they mean that series of tech they aren't talking about a 4850 or 4830 or whatever. Even Wispels thing (i think it was him) that mentioned 5570 was just a guide as to a card with similar amount of processors.
After speaking with bgassassin, we came to the conclusion that the chip mentioned on SoCtronics' website probably isn't related to the Wii U after all, but is, in fact, Redwood (5570). It seems SoCtronics just made a few small mistakes and omissions on their website when describing the chip.

After speaking with bgassassin, we came to the conclusion that the chip mentioned on SoCtronics' website probably isn't related to the Wii U after all, but is, in fact, Redwood (5570). It seems SoCtronics just made a few small mistakes and omissions on their website when describing the chip.

*cough*

2-3 years is about right for R&D. They can get the first samples a few months after tape-out. They'll want to spend some time working out specific clocks and TDP dependent upon the yield (not all chips are created equally and will have different performance/thermal characteristics). So a 2 year development for a customization plus a few months would coincide nicely with updates to the devkits we've been hearing about.

all this stuff is magic dust to me, I have not clue how these guys go about designing a chip and target a range of power from this stuff.. Aliens? :)

this stuff is so awesome I wish I had a greater understanding of it.

Now that we are mostly sure that WiiU's GPU is custom chip I still wonder if it means now playing with power or Wii doom again

Hopefully IdeaMan does not come into this thread and post exactly this same tidbit as his new reveal lol

all this stuff is magic dust to me, I have not clue how these guys go about designing a chip and target a range of power from this stuff.. Aliens? :)

this stuff is so awesome I wish I had a greater understanding of it.

Now that we are mostly sure that WiiU's GPU is custom chip I still wonder if it means now playing with power or Wii doom again

Hopefully IdeaMan does not come into this thread and post exactly this same tidbit as his new reveal lol

Every console uses custom chips.
The question is what you customize.
They can go any way with this, honestly.

Heh oh well it was some good sluethig anyway, too bad you didn't get a Kotaku front page out of it :O

Although after that Vita games thing the other week I think the game sites might be laying low on too many rumours without proper fact checking.

I feel like knowing is still years away not 3 months

damn Nintendo and their secrets and now Ace had to remind me that Wii's chip was also custom to be a weak ass SD chip with waggle T_T

HylianTom

Banned
Heh oh well it was some good sluethig anyway, too bad you didn't get a Kotaku front page out of it :O

Although after that Vita games thing the other week I think the game sites might be laying low on too many rumours without proper fact checking.

Another site will report it as a "rumor from an anonymous inside source," and then the blogs will run with it. It's the old cycle.

I feel like knowing is still years away not 3 months

damn Nintendo and their secrets and now Ace had to remind me that Wii's chip was also custom to be a weak ass SD chip with waggle T_T

Well, it definitely won't be a Wii like chip.
Not just in terms of power, but in terms of architecture and design.
It will be a much more modernized and standardized chip that developers are comfortable working with.

The biggest question is if they are going with an OpenGL 3.1 design, is if they'll include some 4.0 features.

Well, it definitely won't be a Wii like chip.
Not just in terms of power, but in terms of architecture and design.
It will be a much more modernized and standardized chip that developers are comfortable working with.

The biggest question is if they are going with an OpenGL 3.1 design, is if they'll include some 4.0 features.

you mean the making brick walls bumpy thing? I got lost after bump mapping generations ago I keep reading this thread and hope to learn again everyone wants these new feature sets on the chip so does adding these things change the cost of the chip? Power consumption?

you mean the making brick walls bumpy thing? I got lost after bump mapping generations ago I keep reading this thread and hope to learn again everyone wants these new feature sets on the chip so does adding these things change the cost of the chip? Power consumption?

They had to add more to the chip, yes. So it does up the cost and power consumption, yes.
It's all a risk vs reward type thing.
They want to add as much as possible, without making it super expensive and super hot.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of what I've been saying the entire time.
>_>
Kinda peculiar that article hasn't been brought up earlier considering it was posted on the 8th of June last year. I also find it strange it says the GPU is not a derivative of the Radeon line, seeing as that is what is says on the Nintendo Network @ E3 2011 site and also on the fact sheet that was published in conjunction with E3 2011.

Es handelt sich um eine Spezialanfertigung nach Anforderungen von Nintendo, nicht um eine Ableitung eines aktuellen Radeon-Chips, teilte ein Sprecher von AMD mit.

Translation:
It is a custom process according to requirements of Nintendo, not a derivative of a current Radeon chip, said a spokesman for AMD.

Well, it says "GPU: AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU." in the fact sheet, so perhaps it's only based on the architecture and not any solid frequencies etc.

http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/index.html

It'll basically be a GPU that is loosely based on the Radeon HD line, but has nothing to really do with how it's designed.

Or, to put it another way:

It'll basically be a Radeon HD Nintendo.

A chip designed specifically for Nintendo's system, like any other new Radeon GPU.

They used a specific GPU in dev kits as a place holder early on, because it probably had similar features.

tkscz

Just noticed that, according to an AMD spokesperson (via German tech site golem.de), the GPU will not be derived from any existing Radeon chip, but is actually a highly customized part specifically designed for Nintendo. Doesn't seem to be an R700 after all.

Slowpoke%20template.jpg

So it doesn't make any sense to talk about the GPU since it could be anything?

Well, we can still talk about it.
If 01net is correct and they used an HD4xxx in the first dev kits, then we can roughly guess what they were aiming for then.

The question now becomes, what are they aiming for since they boosted the power.
More techniques? More memory? Faster clock speed? Better bandwidth?

Just had a Wii U dream ;/. I dreamt that somehow I had the actual console but I didnt think it'd turn on until actual launch day. I tried anyway and was met with an intro screen of every one of Nintendo's character IPs as well images of every single console they have released and the phrase 'Wii U: Where past, present, and future collide.' there was a demo app called Wii U design available. Also visually everything was amazing. Then I woke up :(

we need to start a Kickstarter to hire our own NINJA to steal Nintendo WiiU documents from Iwata at this point because too many of you guys are having bad dreams

while I cannot sleep

JGS

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
Just had a Wii U dream ;/. I dreamt that somehow I had the actual console but I didnt think it'd turn on until actual launch day. I tried anyway and was met with an intro screen of every one of Nintendo's character IPs as well images of every single console they have released and the phrase 'Wii U: Where past, present, and future collide.' there was a demo app called Wii U design available. Also visually everything was amazing. Then I woke up :(
Sounds pretty prophetic. The dream didn't happen to actually tell when the world would end did it? I want to prepare but it's looking like late 2012.

Nibel

Can we expect Nintendo Direct next month?

Right now I play Revelations on the 3DS, and I must say that the Jill sections of the game are marvelous. But the Parker/Chris/Jessica parts have been really disappointing. Action doesn't fit this franchise - at least not on the handheld..

Can we expect Nintendo Direct next month?

Right now I play Revelations on the 3DS, and I must say that the Jill sections of the game are marvelous. But the Parker/Chris/Jessica parts have been really disappointing. Action doesn't fit this franchise - at least not on the handheld..

They seem to do it every two months, but I wouldn't expect Wii U stuff.
If we get any of that before E3, it'll be from their Investors Briefing.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So here you are basically confirming it to be 1.5GB and not 2GB, right? You originally stated you were expecting 1GB or a bit more. Now you clarify that that "bit more" would be less than 1.5GB. You continued that "it was even more than that".

Seriously, i'm not a fan of these puzzles. they basically leave too much room for interpretation, as in retrospect, the only thing you were stating as fact is that is was more than 1GB... which we already knew beforehand.

I didn't deny the 2GB possibility at all. I think i have enough talked about the Wii U memory state, go back to thread part 2 and you'll see that there's more (with the following answers to the first post concerning that) than just "it's more than 1GB".

To sum up, Nintendo are apparently aiming for a memory quantity in the retail version bigger than 1GB (or a weird number like 1,2GB), and this made me surprised. It's between 1,5GB included and 2GB included. It's in a V4/V5 dev kit context, so the situation could change after. It will be the final precision of my previous informations regarding that :)

I didn't deny the 2GB possibility at all. I think i had enough talked about the Wii U memory state, go back to thread part 2 and you'll see that there's more (with the following answers to the first post concerning that) than just "it's more than 1GB".

To sum up, Nintendo are apparently aiming for a memory quantity in the retail version bigger than 1GB (or a weird number like 1,2GB), and this made me surprised. It's between 1,5GB included and 2GB included. It's in a V4/V5 dev kit context, so the situation could change after. It will be the final precision of my previous informations regarding that :)

So... 8 GB?

12:25 PM

my insomnia is now losing to sleepiness

I just had a dream... that my WiiU had a remake of my favorite game as a child

this remake was an HD 3D Platform version of the Original Bubble Bobble (Arcade) and the music going
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inAAItNuFaE

oh no that song again so hypnotizing so many quarters from my moms laundry change bowl gone missing

so WiiU Bubble Bobble HD as a Mario 64 like maze of bubble popping and repeat music o_O

drooools

Sounds pretty prophetic. The dream didn't happen to actually tell when the world would end did it? I want to prepare but it's looking like late 2012.

No but I did dream of a new TV show in the Nightmare on Elm Street universe :/ But of I had to wager I'd say 2012 sounds like a good bet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still bet the final form has 2GB of RAM.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Nothing makes you guys happy!
D:
:p

Hey i warned them and thanks to repeat it, it's nothing huge. (I didn't post it yet). Every time it seems people expect me to reveal the complete spec sheet, i don't know it, i have enough stressed it before :p

Almost forgot about this one. If you're referring to the final GPU, I don't think they even had it taped out till the end of the year. If you're referring to what was already in the dev kit, ShockingAlberto once talked about a "bump" a few months after E3. It's also plausible that they left themselves some wiggle room to get more input from devs with how the "final" silicon should look.

Yeah i was referring to the Dev Kit GPU. And i think the flexibility of the hardware design is indeed involved here, as it appears the system guts were still in flux by at least a moderate level, just a few months ago (the bump that benefited the v4 dev kits.). The question is really if these changes are tweaking on a rather "fixed" GPU design (like frequencies), more intricate modifications (that would imply circuitry, additions of features, etc.) but not to an extent to "redesign" again the GPU/re-balance all the other components, or even a switch to another GPU of different type/generation/series.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm dreamng of a new name for the U. Since this is Nintendo's sixth generation, it coud be the N6. Or they could go very simple and bring back the NES.

Hey i warned them and thanks to repeat it, it's nothing huge. (I didn't post it yet). Every time it seems people expect me to reveal the complete spec sheet, i don't know it, i have enough stressed it before :p

You're holding-out on us! I know it!

So Nintendo Ninjas have IdeaMan tied up now and floating a slice of Chicago Pizza under his nose to torture him?

I hope it has extra cheese I like extra cheese

good news comes in 3s

Legend of Korra

Kid Icarus Uprising's ending credits

IdeaMan to escape from Nintendo Ninja's torture chambers of Chicago Pizza

so stay tuned... for the next exciting episode of IDEAMAN, same Idea Time, same Idea channel.

will wii say wow?

No Tomb Raider is disappointing. I was hoping Konami would support it too, but they seem reluctant to do so. Either that or the NDA's are so tight publishers can't even announce games. Metal Gear Rising, Project Ogre and the rumored Castlevania 2 and Contra games should be no brainers. I can understand western publishers not supporting a Nintendo console, but I find it a bit disheartening when Japanese ones aren't releasing their biggest franchises.

There have been some games announced recently to lend credence to the NDA thing though. Resident Evil 6 and Epic Mickey 2 should both be on Wii U, yet they aren't announced for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at the same time don't want to get my hopes up.

I think Nintendo has NDA's in place to prevent a flood of announcements before E3. I know AC3 was announced recently, but that was already kind of announced at last years E3. It was probably best to get that out the way so that people didn't start speculating about them developing a different game for the system.

I'd expect Project Ogre to be on the Wii U since Kojima has made a big deal out of out of the multiplatform nature of the Fox Engine. Rising is a question mark because of Platinum. If it's going to release this year, then Konami has them on a pretty tight schedule. So it might just be an issue of them not being able to fit it in. But they could always outsource it.

Developers/publishers really don't have an excuse to not put their games on the Wii U. The power won't be an issue and the systems controller is traditional (aside from the screen), so they won't have to adapt a new control scheme to the game. I'll be curious to see whether or not they take advantage of the extra power or if they'll just dump some plain ports onto the system. For example, Black Ops 2 shouldn't run in sub-HD on the Wii U.

Top Bottom