• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

1. MGS3 (setting, atmosphere, characters, plot... my favourite in every aspect)
2. MGS1: Twin Snakes (loved this one too, didn't really like one of the plot twists though... haven't played the original so I can't say about that)
3. MGS2 (it took me 2 tries to finally understand how to love this game, still my least favorite of the first three but an awesome game nonetheless)

I loved Peace Walker. It was so fun and enjoyable, I had a smile on my face the entire way through. The humor in it was probably the best in the series - "Hideo...Kojima" "Kojima is God"
But the main story was pants on head. Kojima needs an editor badly.

Really? I thought it was pretty tame.

Maybe its just because I like the whole AI theme.

Gravijah

1. mgs3
2. mgs1
3. mgs2

that was easy

thank you for following my prediction

1. MGS3 (setting, atmosphere, characters, plot... my favourite in every aspect)
2. MGS1 (loved this one too, didn't really like one of the plot twists though...)
3. MGS2 (it took me 2 tries to finally understand how to love this game, still my least favorite of the first three but an awesome game nonetheless)

I FUCKIN' LOVE YOUR AVATAR~

Nitroid

Neo Member
1. MGS2 - Love it or hate it, it pushed the boundaries of video game storytelling pretty damn far.
2. MGS - The "pure" Metal Gear experience in a lot of ways. Unfettered by canonical baggage.
3. MGS3 - Because seriously, who didn't tear up a little at the end?

ScOULaris

I'm trying to decide how I should handle the occasional Twin Snakes votes that have been popping up in this thread. The game wasn't included on the ballot, but being a remake of MGS1 makes things a little complicated.

I'm leaning towards not counting votes for Twin Snakes unless it comes down to the wire between MGS1 and another game in the series. At that point, Twin Snakes might be counted as swing votes for MGS1.

As of right now, however, the Twin Snakes votes won't count toward anything.

Also, please try to format your votes in the same style as the example in the OP. It will make it much easier for me to ensure that no mistakes are made when tallying all of the votes at the end.

haikira

01. MGS1
scaled.php

02. MGS3
scaled.php

03. MGS2
scaled.php

Edit: I was a bit quick on reading the rules. Now edited down to just 3.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
1. MGS3 (the best designed and most atmospheric)
2. MGS1 (brilliant for it's time)
3. MGS2 (horrible story and game structure but stealth gameplay is still fun)

I didn't like any of the other games, they were all mediocre with the exception of MGS4 which was legendarily terrible.

ultron87

I played MGS2 before MGS1 but that isn't why it is my favorite.

I think MGS2 comes out on top for me because it expresses some of the most interesting ideas that have ever been put forward in a game.

Knosmirc

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (MGS3)
2. Metal Gear Solid (MGS1)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4)
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (MGS:pW)
5. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (MGS2)
6. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (MGS:pO)

Branson

1. MGS1
2. MGS3
3. MGS2

---------
4. MGS4
5. MGS PW
6. MGS PO

I honestly really like them all though, its kind of hard for me to put things into lists like this.

Fjordson

1. MGS1
2. MGS3
3. MGS2
4. MGS4
5. MGS:pW

1-3 is very close. All of them are among my all-time favourite games. 4 is also great, but doesn't quite match up to the first three for me.

The PSP games are fine, but I didn't enjoy them all that much for some reason. Never even finished Portable Ops.

1. MGS3
2. MGS1
3. MGS2

Followed by MGS4 then Portable Ops. I haven't played Peace Walker yet, although I bought a PSP for that game and lost interest over time and after finding that there was no online co-op, which meant that I would have missed out on a significant chunk of PW's content. I'll finally play it when the HD collection comes out here. Anyway I can't imagine it being worse than PO so I'll put it down as my number 5.

I'm trying to decide how I should handle the occasional Twin Snakes votes that have been popping up in this thread. The game wasn't included on the ballot, but being a remake of MGS1 makes things a little complicated.

I'm leaning towards not counting votes for Twin Snakes unless it comes down to the wire between MGS1 and another game in the series. At that point, Twin Snakes might be counted as swing votes for MGS1.

As of right now, however, the Twin Snakes votes won't count toward anything.

Also, please try to format your votes in the same style as the example in the OP. It will make it much easier for me to ensure that no mistakes are made when tallying all of the votes at the end.

Ok, I'll be calryfing my vote then. I only played Twin Snakes so I can't really judge the original. While it's true that storywise they are the same, I don't think gameplaywise it can be said.

Oh, in case anyone's wondering I played them in release order 1 -> 2 -> 3

I FUCKIN' LOVE YOUR AVATAR~

Thanks! :D

Tookay

1. MGS3: One of the best games ever. Great, open-ended gameplay; constantly changing setting; straightforward, non-WTF worthy plot; great characters; amazing bosses, perfect ending.
2. MGS1: Simple, but great. For pretty much the same reasons as MGS3.
3. MGS4: Opening acts are awesome; bosses are great; great gameplay mechanics that are severely underused; however it falls apart toward the end. I still like the conclusion and even the epilogue, despite its contrived nature, though.
-------------
4. MGS2: Same situation as MGS4, though I'd argue it gives in to Kojima's worst excesses even earlier on than MGS4. I appreciate the ambition and themes of the game, but I don't really like the Big Shell or the direction of the plot midway through the game.

Sort of a reverse-Star Trek syndrome, where the odd ones are good and the even ones are weaker.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
1. MGS1 - Chock-filled with classic moments, from "A Hind D!?" to "Let me delve deeper into your mind." The difficulty curve was well plotted too, due in no small part to the way it metred out access to rooms, weapons and items.
2. MGS3 - An affectionate tribute to James Bond, Rambo and the Predator films, with some outside-of-the-box boss battle designs such as The End. A touching finale too.
3. MGS2 - A graphical benchmark at the time, especially since it was running at 60FPS. I loved the resulting slickness of Raiden's flips and vaulting animations, and the two conjoined hexagonal oil rigs gave the game an easily recognisable sense of structure.

1 - MGS 2
2 - MGS 1
3 - MGS 3

such a dope trilogy. Essential collection indeed. No need to play any of the other games.

The bait and switch with Raiden was annoying at the time but I really appreciate it now. Raiden can be annoying sometimes but the way he was meant to be in the fan's perspective, and also how Snake was treated like this mythical figure who we finally get to meet was really interesting. I like how it was like we were on the outside looking in through most of the Shell arc. Also Solidus was fucking great and the soundtrack was at it's best in 2.

NeoUltima

1. MGS3
2. MGS4
3. MGS2

Hard to choose between 3 and 4 for 1st. Likewise, hard to choose between 2 and 1 for 3rd. Ask me another day and I may say 4 > 3 > 1.

Reave

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Metal Gear Solid 3
3. Metal Gear Solid 2
4. MGS: Peace Walker
5. Metal Gear Solid 4
6. MGS: Portable Ops

Top Bottom