• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

EvB

Offline PSO is feasible though - doesn't offline just require the existence of an Xbox Live account?

True, but I suspect that MS are trying to really go for broke with this, so things out of their control may prove too problematic

Crimson Skies for example is less interesting with no multiplayer options

Synth

also, there will be no PSO servers still running

No, what I meant was that you wouldn't even be able to play online, unless MS offer the ability to create a dummy XBL account. PSO on OG Xbox required one, even for single player mode.

The one title that has me optimistic is Dead 2 Rights.. That's a Namco title which I still own.

Which means later we might get Breakdown also by Namco which I still own as well! :)

Has there been a statement on original Xbox games working online with the current version of Xbox Live?

Have they flat out said it will not happen?

Flagship

shanafan

that seems like a solvable problem

Would it involve re-engineering the game's code though? The game has to locate a gamertag account to play offline. Could it find a gamertag on the Xbox One?

I guess the bigger question is.. can OG Xbox games be played online? Unfortunately I highly doubt it.

Still got my PSO 1/2 and PSO 1/2 Plus for GCN in the meantime ;)

Synth

Would it involve re-engineering the game's code though? The game has to locate a gamertag account to play offline. Could it find a gamertag on the Xbox One?

I guess the bigger question is.. can OG Xbox games be played online? Unfortunately I highly doubt it.

Still got my PSO 1/2 and PSO 1/2 Plus for GCN in the meantime ;)

You wouldn't alter the game itself. It expects to find a gamertag, so the emulator would just need to simulate one. It wouldn't actually need to be hooked into any connection in order to get the singleplayer working.

People said that about XB360 on XB1 and look how that turned out. If it doesn’t have online I don’t think they’d even do it.

Xbox 360's XBL wasn't dead though. It's not really the same thing at all. They'd have to basically stand up a new version of the original XBL.

CTRL + F, "Morrowind"

I'm disappointed in you all.

Other than the fact that it can be easily played with a controller, it's not a good version of the game. Framerate and draw distance are rough. Before someone says you can play the PC version with a controller, yes, you technically can but the interface isn't made for it and it sucks ass. So that being said, I would probably buy the BC Xbox version if they used some BC magic to increase the framerate and draw distance. Won't happen, tho. I have the PC version modded and it looks and runs great, but I hardly play games with M+K anymore so I never play it.

DarkCloud

Honestly Morrowind may be a good get when it gets added as the game saw marked improvements via file tweaking and hardware modding on the original xbox.

The biggest issue it had were the crashes from the ballooning save file issue beth games have. If the game is able to use an expanded ram pool on top of the potential fps speedups we see in a lot of 360 titles it could be an adequate way to play the game.

And if the games aren't required to be vanilla the draw distance can be modified by a simple file tweak if i recall correctly. It's just a question if Bethesda would do the 2 seconds of work required.

It all depends on how xb titles work on the xb1...and if we see res increases on top of all that I'll gladly retire my pc copy for the extra controller support.

Other than the fact that it can be easily played with a controller, it's not a good version of the game. Framerate and draw distance are rough. Before someone says you can play the PC version with a controller, yes, you technically can but the interface isn't made for it and it sucks ass. So that being said, I would probably buy the BC Xbox version if they used some BC magic to increase the framerate and draw distance. Won't happen, tho. I have the PC version modded and it looks and runs great, but I hardly play games with M+K anymore so I never play it.

Framerate will for sure be much better. Draw distance is likely locked though.

shanafan

BC is nice but all of those derserve proper 4K remaster.

Xbox One X maybe?

Spencer also remains confident that the feature will be out before the end of the year, as planned. "Oh yeah," he said about his certainty of a 2017 launch. He also teased that there are still details about backwards compatibility will work on Xbox One X that have yet to be revealed: "There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-ones-original-xbox-backwards-compatibility-st/1100-6453999/

Gwyn

https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/921719074534580224

DMqamKZUQAIaiOX.jpg

gamz

Yes, and digital purchases of Xbox Originals for the 360 will carry over for games that are also made available for the Xbox One.

Same deal as 360 games really.

Wait. You can buy digital copies of BC OG Xbox games? I didn't know that. Cool.

Wait. You can buy digital copies of BC OG Xbox games? I didn't know that. Cool.

Yeah during the 360 era Microsoft released some OG Xbox games digitally and it was called Xbox Originals, mind you the list was extremely small. Here's the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Originals
If you've purchased any of these games, you'll be able to play them on the Xbox One when they become available since you already own the digital license.

gamz

Yeah during the 360 era Microsoft released some OG Xbox games digitally and it was called Xbox Originals, mind you the list was extremely small. Here's the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Originals
If you've purchased any of these games, you'll be able to play them on the Xbox One when they become available since you already own the digital license.

Right, but can you.buy these now. Will they be available in the marketplace.

Right, but can you.buy these now. Will they be available in the marketplace.

I would assume that they'll be available to buy in the marketplace since you'll have to download the game regardless if you use a disc copy of the game. Some of those games in that leaked picture are available to purchase right now on the 360 store, but currently you can only play them on the 360 for now since they were part of that Xbox Originals program.

Top Bottom