• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNut

About how long is Final Fantasy VI? I've tried a few times within the past 10 years to beat it and every time I get to the World of Ruin I just am exhausted at the thought of finding everyone again. I want to finally put this notch on my belt, but I'm trying to weave my gameplay time around the stacked holiday releases.

This has been really useful for me in picking which games to play, FF6 has an average playtime of 50 hours, so i've gone with Super Mario RPG which has a more workable 16 hours.

Secret of Mana is 22
Earthbound is 28
Zelda is 15.5

These are just for main story btw

Shiggy

Has there been any comparison between the SNES Classic Controller for Wii (RVL-005(-04)) and the SNES Mini Controller (CLV-202)? The colour of the plastic looks a bit different, and the buttons feel a bit mashy on the former. Would like to see if anyone else tested them out side-by-side.

This has been really useful for me in picking which games to play, FF6 has an average playtime of 50 hours, so i've gone with Super Mario RPG which has a more workable 16 hours.

Secret of Mana is 22
Earthbound is 28
Zelda is 15.5

These are just for main story btw

I think that's a little generous for FF6. I did everything in like 36 hours when I played it in 2013 or so for the first time.

DonMigs85

Took a photo with a few surviving carts I have on hand. Once I get my old SNES control deck back from storage at my cousin's house I'll take a pic of them together.

22519356_10214175811579890_3775348070699017434_n.jpg

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I really thought that long auto-scroll hallway in the castle would throw you for a loop. Or wait, maybe that was in the Fortress which is optional.
Heyyyy I'm bad at games but I also played a ton of SMW when I was small! That autoscroll block snake part was no trouble cause I knew ta do the R-scroll in order to keep good track of the bouncy fireballs and trigger the ceiling spikes to fall earlier!

Now Chocolate Island destroyed me. First I got the exit to Chocolate Secret on accident so I had to force a game over, then me and the pencils in the mini-fortress weren't getting along, then the first like 2 screens of CI-4 were totally owning me. The castle gave a couple deaths because I suck at single block jumps but otherwise went way smoother than the previous crap. Nearly 35 minutes for that world alone... sheesh! It was 8 levels which is more than any other world so far to be fair.

Tomorrow an interlude... or the end? Prolly shouldn't count the Ghost Ship as its own world but its technically part of VoB. >.>

_jnup

Just beat Super Metroid last night. My collection rate was 85%. Felt like I found every secret passage way in the game.

Randam

ARG.

did Zelda dark world dungeon 3 and 5, got the L3 sword and spend ages giving rupees to the ferry to get more bombs and arrows, then entered dungeon 5.
died, did a reset and instead of pressing the rewind button, I somehow start the game the normal way and lost a huge junk of progress. now back at the beginning of dw dungeon 3..

now I don't know if I want to keep playing.
can't stand doing stuff again..

Psxphile

^ nice.

I'm happy with my SNES classic NA edition, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to pick up the Euro or JP mini just on aesthetics alone.

Hobbun

I've just started to play Final Fantasy VI for the first hour or so. This is my first playthrough and I already love the music and the atmosphere - kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy VII where you can sense this great amount of adventure and melancholy mixed together!

So, what specifics should I know and keep in mind for my first playthrough? Is it a very grinding heavy game? Should I backtrack a lot to visit old towns and locations for anything to happen? Anything hidden in the game that I should be aware about to make the playthrough as comfortable as possible?

I envy you. Able to play FF VI for the first time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Done with SMW! The last world took alil longer than Chocolate Island yet somehow felt less difficult. I got game over because the stupid game doesn't save your life count, an died a bunch after but still didn't feel any one level gave me to much trouble! Not having red/blue switches pressed killed me in 7-2 and after that I went back, got a Yoshi and got it wings because forget going through that super long an boring scrolling section again! Other then that not having pressed any of the switches besides the Yellow one caused me no trouble. My save file says "40" which I guess is about the lowest it could be for doing a no alt-exit run.

Not sure what game I'll try next gonna have ta give it some thought.

Crispy

Anyone have tips on opening the SNES mini controller port (EU version?) I haven't played since launch and closed the port. Now I can't open it anymore.

I already tried jamming a creditcard in there to get it open, but there isn't enough room to get behind it. Before I take a screwdriver in hand and potentially damaging it, maybe there is an easier way for opening I'm missing?

Just had Super Castlevania IV glitch out a couple of times when using save states. One time right before the giant rock man boss battle, I had a full bar of health but I would immediately just die everything the fight started. Another time after saving it froze all the enemies, which was alright because I could just walk through them.

The Old Camper

Neo Member
Hello everyone!! This is my 1st post :)
I have just received my SNES mini and been trying several games.

I find Super Mario World a bit more jerky than I recall. Specifically, when running on a long, flat area, I experience regular micro stutter (for example in the Yellow Switch Palace, the striped background highlights the issue). Was that in the original game?

Otherwise, very enjoyable device. My favorite setting is CRT filter on + black frame insertion (strobing backlight) on my LCD TV, it looks like my old CRT.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Has anyone seen one of these out in the wild recently? I stop by Target and Best Buy if I happen to be driving by. I have yet to actually see one of these on a shelf.

The Old Camper

Neo Member
I got my wireless 8bitdo controller and it has really increased my enjoyment of the system. These things are a must buy.
I do use an 8bitdo SF30pro controller and it works very well, however I find it a bit mushy compared to the wired controller, due to input lag. It's an issue in fast action games (like SMW). What about input lag with yours?

Has anyone seen one of these out in the wild recently? I stop by Target and Best Buy if I happen to be driving by. I have yet to actually see one of these on a shelf.

Saw one at Gamestop a few days ago where they had a few in stock. Haven't seen any sense but I haven't been looking since I got one at launch.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Saw one at Gamestop a few days ago where they had a few in stock. Haven't seen any sense but I haven't been looking since I got one at launch.

I actually found a lone one sitting in Target a day after my post so I have one now. I ended up ordering a wireless controller since the cords on the included ones were too short. Going to pick a game to start this weekend.

Andyliini

Here in Finland, they are easily available even on the shelves of local supermarkets. Granted, the machine is considerably more expensive in Finland than in the rest of the world. I got mine from Amazon at launch, though.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I do use an 8bitdo SF30pro controller and it works very well, however I find it a bit mushy compared to the wired controller, due to input lag. It's an issue in fast action games (like SMW). What about input lag with yours?
I've only been playing final fantasy so far but from my experience it's been great. I'll try some more though and on a few more games.

Just got to WoR in FF. Such a great game.

The Old Camper

Neo Member
Hello everyone!! This is my 1st post :)
I have just received my SNES mini and been trying several games.

I find Super Mario World a bit more jerky than I recall. Specifically, when running on a long, flat area, I experience regular micro stutter (for example in the Yellow Switch Palace, the striped background highlights the issue). Was that in the original game?
For the record: I just tested SMW with an old version of SNES9x running on an xBox (1st gen) and it exhibits the same micro stutter. Maybe an issue with output frequency not being exactly 60Hz, or maybe with the game engine. Zelda, on the other hand, is perfectly fluid on SNES Mini Classic Mini.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve been smashing my Mini lately trying to finish some classic games on my wall of shame that I never completed. So far I’ve managed Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Zelda: A Link to the Past and am 3/4 the way through Super Metroid...

...and now I legit have Nintendo Thumb™ LOL!

I had forgotten what it feels like. That hard SNES Dpad combined with Super Metroid wall jumping is digit murder man.

I stopped playing 30 minutes ago and I can still see the indent on my left thumb. Anyone remember this shit?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dont' necro 5 year old threads.
Took this out of the closet wanting to try some PS1 emulation on it, word was it could run certain stuff decently. I also have a Wii Classic Controller so missing buttons wouldn't be an issue. But I see there's no default way to expand its storage. Yikes! I found this article but the adapters shown aren't available any more. Anybody have good (maybe nice and tidy and pretty too) alternatives? And is it worth it? Does it run something like Red Alert good with a lot of units on screen? I've seen in videos it runs RR4 good but Tekken 3 not as much. But maybe emulators have been tweaked since? I couldn't find very recent stuff in general. Either way, post adapters, if only to add more 16bit games.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Took this out of the closet wanting to try some PS1 emulation on it, word was it could run certain stuff decently. I also have a Wii Classic Controller so missing buttons wouldn't be an issue. But I see there's no default way to expand its storage. Yikes! I found this article but the adapters shown aren't available any more. Anybody have good (maybe nice and tidy and pretty too) alternatives? And is it worth it? Does it run something like Red Alert good with a lot of units on screen? I've seen in videos it runs RR4 good but Tekken 3 not as much. But maybe emulators have been tweaked since? I couldn't find very recent stuff in general. Either way, post adapters, if only to add more 16bit games.

Find a ps1 classic. It has a much better mod community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom