• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

The whole racing wheel compatibility situation has been one of the most annoying things I've experienced this gen.

This sounds even more annoying.

I have a Logitech G27 and an official MS wireless FFB wheel. I almost bought a Fanatec CSR Elite/Clubsport Wheel. I'm pretty glad I didn't bite.

That would have been THREE wheels that amounts to over £1000 in investments in racing gear and not a single one would be properly compatible with next gen?

That is bullcrap. Seriously, that is top level bovine mess being rubbed in your face type crap.

At least let me use the friggin OFFICIAL MICROSOFT WHEEL with Forza 5....rahhghggh.

Shaneus

MS' incompatibility is even more difficult to grasp. Sony's with other companies... sure. But MS not supporting their own authorised peripherals that are stupidly expensive to replace? Very bad move.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
on the bright side, for me at least, i now have no excuse to not upgrade from this

3878-2.jpg

to something considerable better.

Foshy

does Logitech have twitter...their top employees? have gamers been blowing up their twitter accounts/facebook accounts/etc?
HyYtNoA.jpg

There's also @Logitech. Blowing up that one and @LogitechG seems to be our best bet if we want something to happen.

I doubt they'll answer on a Sunday, but I propose that next Monday, we start bombing them with questions. Maybe with a hashtag like #PS4WheelSupport?

Mascot

I'm still confused.

Is it safe for me to smash up my Fanatec wheel, club sport pedals and shifters yet? Damn useless things are taking up a lot of space. The Playseat looks like it'll burn really well once it gets going.

/fuckedoffwiththewholesituation

paskowitz

I'm still confused.

Is it safe for me to smash up my Fanatec wheel, club sport pedals and shifters yet? Damn useless things are taking up a lot of space. The Playseat looks like it'll burn really well once it gets going.

It is still possible Fanatec writes their own new drivers for the PS4 and XBO. With the PS4 I cannot image there being any software conflicts. For the XBO there is the whole XID and MS licensing thing, but other than that, I do not think we have hear anything to indicate compatibility is "not possible".

HyYtNoA.jpg

There's also @Logitech. Blowing up that one and @LogitechG seems to be our best bet if we want something to happen.

I doubt they'll answer on a Sunday, but I propose that next Monday, we start bombing them with questions. Maybe with a hashtag like #PS4WheelSupport?

Smiley faces are good. The more we here "we can tell you right now", the more it appears the situation is being artificially silenced.

Shaneus

I'm just thinking that we're likely to get a better response if someone from Sony pushes Logitech rather than us pushing Logitech. And yosp/Boyes seem like the sort of guys who would do that.

DJ88

I'm still confused.

Umm can I have them?

I'm still confused.

I hope they work out something. I was almost tempted into buying one of the new wheels, but then I had to replace the windshield on my car so I lost my desire to make a frivolous purchase.

on the bright side, for me at least, i now have no excuse to not upgrade from this

3878-2.jpg

to something considerable better.
For my purposes this wheel was fine and served me well. All I really want is a PS4 equivalent, you'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask for.

amar212

There will be no compatibility of any X360 wheel with the XboxOne console.

We presumed that, but so far there has been no official confirmation. It has just been officially confirmed by XboxOne Community Representative Larry Herb (also known as Major Nelson) and Branden Powell, XboxOne Director of Strategic Alliances.

You can find the confirmation in this video - it starts at 3:38:

http://youtu.be/wT_CVUjQXjA

Not only that all our Fanatec wheels will not work, Microsoft and Xbox people are so damn arrogant and blatant liars - they claim how new Xinput (as I know Xinput 1.4) standard will be able to do "amazing things", which are things that their own HID standard can do for 15 years, on all existing HID wheels, including all Fanatec models in HID (PC, PS3) mode with modifications of TouchSense FFB tactile API/SDK which is industry standard since 2001.

On top of that, they claim how modular and adjustable aspect of the new MadCatz wheel is something amazing and new, somehow forgetting it is their own previous official partner - Fanatec - who brought such modularity and adjustability into the mainstream and invested into development and popularization of advanced wheels through last 10 years. Together with all of us.

I have high hopes Sony will be much wiser in their future planning (announcement of PS4 compatibility for T500RS gives some hope for us).

This finally settles the uncertainty, Xbox 360 Fanatec official and all unofficial wheels will not be compatible with either XboxOne and any racing game on that platform. Thank you Microsoft.

I will update the OP later tonight and I also plan to make entirely new article and thread about this matter, because claims and reasoning presented in this video are beyond despicable.

What was the point of trying to spin the situation? nobody with an ounce of sense believes the bullshit.

The only good thing I got out of that video is they appear to have changed little to break compatibility there's still a chance it can be undone by a third party.

Wereroku

We still don't know if the Logitech wheels (Driving Force Pro) will be supported on PS4?

Markman said that he was trying to get his fight sticks supported on the ps4 and was told that there was nothing he could do and that they would not work. Rushy said that they needed drivers for wheels. I don't know what the difference would be so I am of the belief that few wheels if any will work on ps4.

Snubbers

Ok, I see where they are going with the modularity thing on the XB1, it would be cool to have some displays and other stuff. .

But, the Kinect position shit has no place in my racing rig does it.

I'm glad I the my preorder to someone who will make more use of it, unless fanatec come out with a cross platform wheel, I'll never ever be tempted back to MS.

Sad day for racing game fans on any platform. Burned customers, and (likely) proprietary peripherals will reverberate across this little corner of the industry. Less people who are likely to own wheels isn't good for Forza, GT, iRacing, AC, Drive Club, Reiza, etc.

You can find the confirmation in this video - it starts at 3:38:

http://youtu.be/wT_CVUjQXjA

What a load of bullshit. There's not even a clear answer of "why," but I guess when the reason is bigger profit, you can't just come out and say that.

Glad I went with the G27 for my racing needs, where there's still a glimmer of hope it'll be compatible, but I feel bad for all the Fanatec owners out there.

otapnam

Hope someone makes adapters for you guys out there :(

i guess im glad i could only afford a logitech gt for the ps3, even if it is compatible or not my investment wont potentially be useless

That is fucking bullshit. I don't have any MS or Fanatec gear but as someone who cares more about the racing genre than any other genre and strongly advocates buying a wheel for those who are getting into racing sims and sim like games, this is just a huge fuck you to the customer.

It isn't some little shit disposable controller, a wheel is an investment and should work on everything for years. I am feeling pretty luke warm on GT6, if it turns out GT7 requires me to buy a new wheel... not looking good. I would never play a GT game without a wheel.

Edit: Is it possible that it is a lock in deal with Mad Catz? To give them a timed console exclusive or what other feckless marketing jargon they are throwing around these days?

Shaneus

Wow. Just... wow. Now Sony need to blast out of the loudspeakers that Logitech (and by that extension, Fanatec as I think they "emulate" Logitech) have provided drivers for PS4 and all wheels previously compatible with the PS3 will work with the PS4.

I'm glad at least we know where we stand with the PS4 and if nothing comes to fruition, we have an idea why. With MS, it's about "new technology" or some bullshit. If I buy a One in the future, I can guarantee you it won't be because of driving games. Possibly because it will be bargain bin cheap. PS4 is my driving game console now.

BTW I didn't actually own a Fanatec wheel, but I'm beyond pissed off for the people that do. I can only hope that Sony/Logitech bring the goods and announce some kind of compatibility. I'd find it hard to believe that Logitech wouldn't step up to the table given that G27s are still being sold in retailers today.

Edit: It's funny, but even though Logitech pulled out of the console gaming peripherals market, they still deemed it worthy to (re)release the G27 this year (with new packaging and perhaps a slightly revised manufacturing process). I doubt they'd invest that much money into manufacturing something that could only be made to work on PCs and an outdated console.*

*I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but I'm feeling confident. Last time I felt like this was in the PGR5 speculation thread :/

Vormund

I'm so tempted to scrape the xbox logo off the home button on my fanatec wheel now.

FUCKING MICROSOFT.

And I say this as someone who preferred Forza over GT.....guess where I'm switching.

edit: just tweeted Shuhei Yoshida about the wheels....and lol at him using Kyle Bosman's band image :D

Maybe we Fanatec/Logitech owners should send our worries to Yoshida...@yosp
Don't you think?

like yoshida cares about getting some logitech drivers...

i tweeted him, boyes, all playstation and logitech twitter accounts again the other day - no reply. they don't care, best offload your logi or fanatec wheel and upgrade to a thrustmaster if you want ps4 compatibility.

Solal

like yoshida cares about getting some logitech drivers...

i tweeted him, boyes, all playstation and logitech twitter accounts again the other day - no reply. they don't care, best offload your logi or fanatec wheel and upgrade to a thrustmaster if you want ps4 compatibility.

Problem is: I offloaded my T500 for a Fanatec CSR Elite already... :-(

Solal

Thing is: does Sony really expect all GT players to change their wheel? i mean: we are talking about millions of players who are gonna be pissed when they learn their wheel was made obsolete. How many will buy GT to play it with a controller?

Seriously...

What about a fanatec/logitech adaptor ? Would it be technically/legally that complicated?

Honey Bunny

Thing is: does Sony really expect all GT players to change their wheel? i mean: we are talking about millions of players who are gonna be pissed when they learn their wheel was made obsolete. How many will buy GT to play it with a controller?

Seriously...

How was it handled from PS2 to PS3? I wasn't a GT (or Sony) gamer then so I have no idea.

amar212

My hopes exactly.

It is clear that new T80 wheel for Driveclub is emu-contoller rumble wheel, so it is not really that important.

T500RS uses own SDK/API with H.E.A.R.T FFB engine and PS4 supports it through the HID standard. So, same as on PS3.

What we learned so far is the vile reality of "manufacturers having to supply the SDK". Only issue I can detect is the licensing, on both sides. It is a business game, and third side - Immersion Corp, which owns the patents for tactile feedback used by Logitech and other HID wheels - is probably also involved somehow.

From what I understand, the decision and resolution will depend on good will of all parties to find the solution. However, unlike XboxOne situation, the issue is not deliberately obstructed by hardware and API itself, but only with actual implementation of the existing software on "client" side.

I hope Sony can understand the importance of wheel support and feels of the huge HID wheel community they practically built by themselves through past 12 years.

Shaneus

How was it handled from PS2 to PS3? I wasn't a GT (or Sony) gamer then so I have no idea.
Couldn't you use the same wheels with the PS2 and PS3 (as long as they were USB)? Does the PS2 even *have* a USB port? I thought it did. And I thought you could plug wheels into it or something.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow, even Microsoft's own wheels wont work with the One? That's laughable. Completely laughable. And all the people who spent all that money on nice Fanatec setups.......geez.

GEEZ.

madmackem

Ms fucked up here, i expect nothing more than from either sony or ms, they are going to take your money anyway they can. Its times like these im glad im a average joe pad racer as spending the coin some have id be really pissed right now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, I can always still use my Fanatec PWTS + clubsport pedals on my PC when I get tired of 360/PS3 games. :/

Mascot

If Sony come out and announce legacy Fanatec compatibility for PS4 then it will be a sizeable coup for them.

Make it happen, Sony.

Wow, even Microsoft's own wheels wont work with the One? That's laughable. Completely laughable. And all the people who spent all that money on nice Fanatec setups.......geez.

GEEZ.

At least they still work on pc.

I only have a driving force gt (bought for gt5 prologue and pc use) but if I planned to get a next gen console I'd be pretty frigging upset about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Seriously...

What about a fanatec/logitech adaptor ? Would it be technically/legally that complicated?

especially with GT6 about to come out, Playstation racing fans are likely to want to keep their steering wheels for that, and they won't want to buy another one just for PS4

i tell a lie, one of the logitech accounts i tweeted did reply:

Logitech ‏@Logitech 14 Oct

We can't comment on future product compatibility at the moment but do watch this space in the future for further news.

maybe sony didn't send them a ps4 devkit?

Mascot

You have to hand it to Microsoft and their evil genius. This was a brilliant piece of misdirection: implying continued brand support of an extremely expensive peripheral without ever overtly stating it. The fact that this officially-branded wheel was released so late in the 360's lifespan just adds superbly to the subterfuge.

csr-elite-1-580x459.jpg

Shaneus

When specifically did that come out?

PS. That looks badarse. Does it have PS3 support? Maybe if it gets PS4 support I could buy one cheap because of the implied incompatibility with next-gen.

Morzak

This makes me happy that I never followed up on my plans to buy a Fanatec, for mostly Forza and maybe GT5.
Honestly as MS if you partner with Fanatec and advertise equipment that costs more then a new console, you should make it a priority to get those Wheels working with the new console especially if you launch the new Forza game with the console.....
Maybe I still will get a Fanatec wheel for PC and GT6, but I rather wait for one that works fine with at least a PS4.

Seanspeed

Banned
At least they still work on pc.
Definitely. Its a great way for Microsoft to get hardcore racing fans to ditch the XboxOne completely and go to PC racing.

Not that they care. Obviously, the amount of people who buy these sorts of setups are insignificant enough that they can afford to disregard them completely like this.

Top Bottom