• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Arbalests coupled with Occultists have been working out very good for me just now.
Fucking 30+ damage power crits with sniper shot on bosses who are marked for vulnerability. Add a houndmaster in the party for even more marked damage and that's some fierce damage output.

Also, just discovered Retribution on my Man-At-Arms. Dude gets hit for 1 and ripostes for 9 damage. I love this guy.
D:
I'll have to test that out.

Huh. Either I have really bad luck, or I have absolutely no idea how to play this game. I have no money and everyone is stressed out. My healer has fucked off somewhere after I tried to lower her stress and the Stage Coach hasn't deemed me worthy to give me another one after 4 weeks. They really like sending me Abominations though and no one wants to team up with them.
There's just too much RNG for me to have any fun with this. It had a lot of promise too. :(

Nothus

Damn I just went into the Wizened Hag fight without any party member who could do damage to the back two spots lol. Total disaster, but at least they were low level so nothing of value was lost. Time to recruit some back row fighters and get my revenge!

I just lost an entire party of lvl 3/4 dudes fighting the second form of the Swine King. Totally realized how screwed I was when I loaded in without a healer. (I did manage to kill him though!)

994HYD9.gif

Going into a dungeon only to learn you did not properly respec your Vestal is horrible.

Also, I met the Collector last night. Fuck that.

Kalnos

Banned
Going into a dungeon only to learn you did not properly respec your Vestal is horrible.

Also, I met the Collector last night. Fuck that.

I'm pretty sure you can change their abilities mid-dungeon. Though if you haven't unlocked them that's a different story.

OKK

Goddam, the actual Darkest Dungeon part is hard as hell!

Earlier today I manage to survive the first DD run. Although this was a close call, since only two characters survived - Crusader with one health & Occultist with zero - the other two party members (Crusader & Vestal) died just before finishing the run.

Now I tried the "Lighting the Way" run and I got _smoked_. Is there something that I'm missing? The mission felt close to impossible, since:
a) the dungeon seems massive, and
b) before starting the run the inventory already contains two camping sets & three mission items i.e. you don't have enough space for other necessary items (food, torch, medicine etc.). In my case I probably cleared nine rooms and only manage to find one out the three mission altars and In this point I already had lost my healer and one member was already close to having heart attack.

Szadek

Goddam, the actual Darkest Dungeon part is hard as hell!

Earlier today I manage to survive the first DD run. Although this was a close call, since only two characters survived - Crusader with one health & Occultist with zero - the other two party members (Crusader & Vestal) died just before finishing the run.

Now I tried the "Lighting the Way" run and I got _smoked_. Is there something that I'm missing? The mission felt close to impossible, since:
a) the dungeon seems massive, and
b) before starting the run the inventory already contains two camping sets & three mission items i.e. you don't have enough space for other necessary items (food, torch, medicine etc.). In my case I probably cleared nine rooms and only manage to find one out the three mission altars and In this point I already had lost my healer and one member was already close to having heart attack.
The last dungeons aren't randomized and follow a pattern.
Knowing that, it's easy to figure out where you are supposed to go in the second level.

EmSeta

This game sounds super interesting, but I'm sorta put off by hearing it described as a roguelike.

Does it have a proper ending / resolution? Or does every playthrough just lead to eventual failure?

This game sounds super interesting, but I'm sorta put off by hearing it described as a roguelike.

Does it have a proper ending / resolution? Or does every playthrough just lead to eventual failure?

There are five dungeons, with the fifth being the last.

You unlock the other three through gameplay. Random quests pop up in every dungeon. There are also 20 boss dungeons.

Falk

that puzzling face

There is a proper ending, and it's more of an instanced, progressive roguelike, like Desktop Dungeons, where each contained instance's success or failure is very much determined by how much meta progression you previously made, and which feeds back into said meta-progression.

There's a lot of grinding, and if you tolerate roguelikes rather than enjoy them (and sometimes even otherwise), you're going to hate yourself after half a dozen hours in. i.e. don't be tricked by the artstyle/setting/presentation. Lots of RNG.

Nothus

It's not really a roguelike. The only roguelike elements are that your individual characters have perma-death. But your game goes on and you simply replace the dead with new recruits.

Neoweee

So I still feel like low-light runs of T1 dungeons are the way to go. Playing the game "legitimately" has left with fuck-all for the items that give Guild and Blacksmith upgrades, leaving me wildly unable to do Tier 2 runs.

Blech.

EDIT: Being bad and failing miserably is more rewarding than doing well. Definitely turned around my fortunes this way, but still a long way to go.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
When you reach a boss character that has a fucking pot ahead of her so you can't hit her with any melee classes of which you have two. -.-

There is something super satisfying about going on a "long" run in a Level 2 dungeon with 4 fully upgraded Level 2 heroes and just WRECKING SHIT. I got through all the rooms, had full health and 0 insanity. It felt awesome.

DrArchon

Finally beat the Sodden Crew. Took me long enough. Had to get two Abominations up to lvl2 and then I just fucked him up with Rake. That skill is dirty! Powered through his healing and killed his summoned sailor every time he showed up more or less.

On the downside, I had another party get wiped by the 8-pounder. Fucking hell. Brought along an Arbalest to kill the lighter every turn, and a Bounty Hunter to pull him in range of my melee guys when that didn't work. Got him down to 10 Hp and then both the Arbalest and the Bounty Hunter missed. The Canon took all 4 to death's door, and then none of them could survive a single hit there. Maybe I need some way to debuff the lighter's dodge. Or just more Arbalests.

E the Shaggy

I think I found my perfect team after a TON of trial and error in the form of Bounty Hunter up front, Houndmaster in 2nd, Jester in 3rd, and Healer rounding things out. Bounty Hunter can throw out heavy damage and mess up ranks with his uppercut/chain/stun combo, Houndmaster and Jester can throw out heavy bleeds as well as heal and stress heal along the way, and Healer can obviously heal but also throw out judgement to finish off anyone/heal herself in the process.

I really like the idea of the Abomination in theory but he just isn't worth it when all is said and done. They need to respec him to not cause people to go as crazy when he transforms at the very least.

Also, I did not know exactly what the hell happened when you shoved a torch into the floating jewel. Was not prepared to fight that shit.

So I spend two weeks gearing guys up for all level 3's to attack the Necro Apprentice only to learn that they nerfed the entry level for first tier bosses.

lol

I think I found my perfect team after a TON of trial and error in the form of Bounty Hunter up front, Houndmaster in 2nd, Jester in 3rd, and Healer rounding things out. Bounty Hunter can throw out heavy damage and mess up ranks with his uppercut/chain/stun combo, Houndmaster and Jester can throw out heavy bleeds as well as heal and stress heal along the way, and Healer can obviously heal but also throw out judgement to finish off anyone/heal herself in the process.

I really like the idea of the Abomination in theory but he just isn't worth it when all is said and done. They need to respec him to not cause people to go as crazy when he transforms at the very least.

Also, I did not know exactly what the hell happened when you shoved a torch into the floating jewel. Was not prepared to fight that shit.

Just did a Sodden crew run, a little slow as I was unfamiliar with his mechanics but got it done. It was a nice and easy 5*3 dungeon so it was a quick run to the boss so I decided to do a little exploring after that. Found the Shambler's alter and though why not? Owned him with ease this time. Got a beautiful Ancestral Trinket Called the "Ancestor's candle' that gives big damage/dodge/speed bonues if above 50% light!

There's a very nice trinket for Abominations that reduces stress to group mates and to the abomination by 25%, Restraining Padlock. Keep an eye out for it.

I think I'm playing this game slower than most. I'm at week 47 or so and I've only killed 7/8 of the first tier bosses, too scared to go near the medium level ones! 18/25 of the slots are taken up by L3+ guys, barely have enough to make low level runs.

Yeah, I love Man-At-Arms too. Just another tip, Retribution lasts for two turns, so you can 'cast' it one turn, then use his Guard Ability on another party member the next. Until he attacks again, whenever he or that other party member gets attacked, he'll strike back.

Yeah, he's a lifesaver for squishier dot 'n heal based parties that I shoulda monkeyed with in EA.

Finally fullfilled all the caretaker goals and beat the Darkest Dungeon after a pretty harrowing final dungon run.
Not sure I understand the ending, but I guess that's kind of the point.

I gotta say this is practically the only game I've ever played with a negative difficulty curve, as things get ridiculously tough at higher levels. I don't think I've ever abandoned quests at the Green and Yellow missions, but I end up running away from like 2/3 of all champion runs.

The heroes all feel pretty well balanced, since each one excels at least in some situations. The Houndmaster probably needs to be nerfed though, he's just too good at pretty much everything.

Yeah, Man-at-Arms are not Mains. They are more for quick dungeon runs.

My Level 3 Houndmaster, though? Wrecking. Ball.

And I named my latest MAA hireling Hard Johnson because why not.

Falk

that puzzling face
Four houndmasters make Flesh go down hilariously fast.

Bleed Bleed Bleed Bleed
Bleed Bleed Bleed Bleed
Bleed Bleed Bleed Bleed
Bleed Bleed Bleed Bleed

WHERE'S YOUR PROT NOW?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I killed the Collector without him ever being able to summon those annoying little assholes.
Bow to me.
I also play super conservatively, slowly leveling up my entire roster instead of focusing on some high level charactes. That's why it takes me forever, but I enjoy the progress. I have 12 Lvl 4, 9 Lvl 3 and 5 Lvl 2 heroes right now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Will try it.

Bring lots of food and max Lick Wounds too, and go for alpha strikes on trash to take as little incoming damage as possible.

(The mark synergy for 4 mark heroes is, of course, rather absurd)

The thing about his AOE bleed is, all 4 sections of Flesh share the same HP pool, and bleed ignores the ridiculous prot that the head/spine have. So you can pretty much have 12 damage per round per round applied not counting the initial chip damage.

As good as the class is, 4 Houndmasters isn't really worth levelling through Veteran/Champion on regular play, but having that one run where Champion Flesh had like 96 Bleed damage a turn applied on him was hilarious enough to be worth the setup.

So quick question, I'm curious as to what the splash screen says in "Special thanks to Klei" pertains to.

Maybe I missed it in the OP and I don't really want to cross reference credits. But did some Klei artists work on art assets for the game? It certainly looks like their art style.

Anyone know?

Neoweee

That fight was brutal for me too (that fucking smash aoe, lol) and I had all lvl4 characters. I think I made 4 or 5 attempts before I finally killed him but still it was veeeery close and I lost 3 people on the succesful attempt. It's understanding though, since for 4 rounds my whole party was on death door, hahaha.

Boss runs just haven't been worth it, IMO. I think I've done all of the Tier 1 bosses except for the second Cove one, but the runs just aren't worth. I'm far better off doing failed T3 runs or low-light T1 suicide runs.

Begaria

Kinda screwed up a little bit. I over leveled my Team A and Team B heroes to Resolve Level 3 by accident and only took down two of the three tier 1 bosses. I'm going to have to make a Team C to take down the tier 1 Hag :p

Oh well, runs are going good and I've got my Team A and Team B with Rank 3 Skills and Armor, gotta work on that Rank 3 Weapons now.

Sarcasm

Kinda screwed up a little bit. I over leveled my Team A and Team B heroes to Resolve Level 3 by accident and only took down two of the three tier 1 bosses. I'm going to have to make a Team C to take down the tier 1 Hag :p

Oh well, runs are going good and I've got my Team A and Team B with Rank 3 Skills and Armor, gotta work on that Rank 3 Weapons now.

Crap..what!?

I've had this game since EA and 20+ hours and never killed a boss. What is this!?

LiK

I couldn't hold on and wait for another sale. bought this full price and played 2 hours last night. awesome game so far. managed to complete a dungeon with no light left and down to almost death for everyone. tense as fuck.

I haven't played this in a few months, and I'm really glad to see all the support this is getting.

Feels good to have backed this bad boy, and I'm going to double dip for the Vita version.

Begaria

Crap..what!?

I've had this game since EA and 20+ hours and never killed a boss. What is this!?

Your Resolve Level determines what level of a dungeon you can run. Characters with Resolve Level 0-2 can run Level 1 dungeons, but once they hit Resolve Level 3 they'll be "too experienced/too good" to run Level 1 dungeons and will refuse to go. Same with Resolve level 5 characters - they won't do Level 3 dungeons.

It's all explained here:
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Resolve_level

"A hero will always refuse to take part in expeditions that are two or more levels lower than their Resolve."

So you need to plan out taking down bosses at the appropriate level of Resolve (and gear/skills) - Resolve Level 2 for Tier 1 bosses, Resolve Level 4 for Tier 2 bosses, and Resolve 6 will get to Tier 3 bosses. It's why it's important to run several Teams so you're never screwed out of taking down bosses or you can rotate characters in.

jay

I kind of love this game but at the same time it seems like it did not at all live up to its full potential. Somethings about it just feel insufficiently fleshed out even though what's there is awesome.

Gothos

Boss runs just haven't been worth it, IMO. I think I've done all of the Tier 1 bosses except for the second Cove one, but the runs just aren't worth. I'm far better off doing failed T3 runs or low-light T1 suicide runs.

Yea, to be honest incentive isn't that big to kill those bosses. I don't even remember, do they drop some specific loot when we kill them?

Erudite

60wk0ed.png

I'm surprised at how much time I've been putting into this since release, what with school going on and all. It helps that it runs well on my ultrabook for my commutes, barring long load times.

I underestimated the stress mechanic when I went into a Veteran Long dungeon last night without a reliable stress healer (PD, Vestal, Highwayman, Hellion), after a series of successful Apprentice runs without having to worry about stress at all. I was cutting it so close, wanting to finish the quest. And damn did I have to leave a lot of gold behind not wanting to drop any necessities, what with how high stressed my characters were. Not making that mistake again.

For anyone on the fence, the game is worth every penny.

LiK

I kind of love this game but at the same time it seems like it did not at all live up to its full potential. Somethings about it just feel insufficiently fleshed out even though what's there is awesome.

I wish it had more of a story so I care about my crew more. hell, I wish it had more story from all the NPCs at the Estate.

Neoweee

My biggest issue is that the way the game is balanced gives all kinds of perverse and counter-intuitive incentives.

1) Boss fights aren't really worth the extra effort and risk, other than for completionists sake.
2) The rewards for low-light conditions encourage doing those, and then just kicking out the party members if they got too stressed out.
3) The cost of removing locked negative traits encourages recycling characters later in the game, which plays into what is already a large late-game grind.
4) There's too many bottlenecks around Guild and Blacksmith levels, and you're at the whims of RNG on how long it takes to get the required materials.

Going through the first tier of dungeons is amazing, but the game doesn't sustain its length well at all. I'm basically done with Tier 1, and that might be it for me.

zer0das

Banned
I wish it had more of a story so I care about my crew more. hell, I wish it had more story from all the NPCs at the Estate.

They added journal fragments that you can find in the dungeons, but they are quite rare. I mean there's a lot of story, it is just all about the bosses and the misdeeds of the ancestor. Your crew is just mewing lambs to the slaughter until they ascend to being true heros.

I hit some big milestones today. All of my characters are level 4+ and I got my first 4 heros to level 6 after killing the necromancer lord. Also killed the last form of the prophet. Didn't lose anyone, but I probably should have wiped pretty badly against the necromancer. Got a wee bit lucky.

Yea, to be honest incentive isn't that big to kill those bosses. I don't even remember, do they drop some specific loot when we kill them?
The third form of each boss has a unique item as a reward for completing the quest. The lesser forms don't have any special rewards, but they do drop multiple items, usually.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Oh dear Champion bosses.
I just got my A-team wiped out by Siren, of all things.
Damn thing got my Arbalest, then critted my bounty hunter and deathblowed it directly with a 1 damage bleed.
Then took my crusader while at 4hp, and the houndmaster was alone and couldn't use a real hit while on rank 1, and the arbalest could use nothing at rank 2... Then the arbalest got alpha'd, Stunned siren at 2hp, nah, Crusader battle heals it to 6 and i game over.

Hits that apply crit+bleed and immediately deathblow your char on its run are the worst degree of bullshit.

So I just impulse-deleted by 28-hours-played save game file from the pre-release version and am regretting it now. Gonna take a while to level up new adventurers and the town all over again. Also, I really don't like this corpse mechanic at all but I don't want to disable it because I hate altering "official" options in games. Really though, the entire concept of you having to clear a fucking corpse that is lying on the goddamn ground is so asinine. The new Abomination class seems fun though and I've noticed they've made some weaker classes stronger now since I last played.

Falk

that puzzling face
Really though, the entire concept of you having to clear a fucking corpse that is lying on the goddamn ground is so asinine.

Really, if you're finding you need to attack a corpse, you're proooobably doing it wrong.

The easiest way to deal with them if you don't want to turn them off is to pack movement skills like BH/MAA/etc. have which also clear the entire room of corpses in the same action. They're extremely useful even outside of the clearing mechanic, since disrupting enemy formations is almost as good as a stun in many cases.

Really, if you're finding you need to attack a corpse, you're proooobably doing it wrong.

The easiest way to deal with them if you don't want to turn them off is to pack movement skills like BH/MAA/etc. have which also clear the entire room of corpses in the same action. They're extremely useful even outside of the clearing mechanic, since disrupting enemy formations is almost as good as a stun in many cases.

I have really bad luck with movement skills to be honest. Lost track of how many adventurers I've lost in scenarios that involved wasting a turn with a movement skill only to fall back on outdamaging the monsters. So yes, there are indeed ways to overcome the corpse obstacles, but I feel they are incredibly unnecessary and slow down the pace and flow of the combat. Also, the fact that I've played 25+ hours of the game without having to deal with them plays a role in me not liking this addition.

Falk

that puzzling face
Uh. You're easily going to outdamage enemies if you e.g. pull archers to the front and they use the move that moves them back while doing terrible damage. Almost as good as a stun. Effectiveness differs from mob to mob depending on their out-of-formation ability.

p.s. I'm talking about skills that move enemies, not your own guys. Although even those have use in certain setups.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I am too attached to my squad.

When shit goes haywire and i'm truly on the brink of getting obliterated, I retreat. Fuck losing my precious Vestal with her dual +33%heal items. She's too good.
And my Arbalest combined with Houndmaster crits so often that it almost keeps the entire party stress-free.

I just lost an entire party of lvl 3/4 dudes fighting the second form of the Swine King. Totally realized how screwed I was when I loaded in without a healer. (I did manage to kill him though!)

994HYD9.gif

I had this reaction when an enemy encounter right before the boss left me with my party positioning all screwed up, and I forget to reposition before jumping in. Arbalest in the front, Man-At-Arms at the rear, basically leaving me to have to switch positions for three turns to even get to start doing some proper damage.

Top Bottom