• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

The analog stick could be a detached floating thing like the nunchuck and the wiimote.

Sorry, I know this rumor is BS and I'm just fanning the flames. The people who buy into this are just so adorable though.

ShockingAlberto said:
And I mean, thinking more about it, Nintendo is not going to relaunch the 3DS as new, 3D-less hardware next year, when they already have a system launch prepared. The DSLite used more or less the same parts the DSPhat did, a 3D-less 3DS would not, it would at very least need a different screen.

If they meant removing 3D why would they say "radically tone down the whole “3D“ angle" instead of "remove the 3D screen"? The recent euro advertising has shown them beginning to radically tone down the 3D angle already.

Chittagong

Gold Member
at face value this sounds like bullshit, but then again Nintendo always does everything full on. When they are successful, they'll full on sweep the market - NES, GB - GBA, Pokemon, DS, Wii. On the other hand, once the get into the rare fucking up mode, they'll do full on fucking up everything - Virtual Boy, N64(DD). Which I think both the 3DS and Wii U are doing - and this rumor would fit that pattern.

Medalion

Banned
I smell horseshit

Might as well make a whole new portable with completely different innards, not just some new control stick

Moodkip

Very disappointing if true.

It's not too late to return my 3DS but I've already bought digital content for the thing... so that's about 20$ I'll never get back if I return it.

On the other hand, if I don't return it, there might be some relatively harmless trade-in deals when this thing comes out (if it exists). And hopefully the system transfer will work for this dual-analogue system as well if/when it comes out.

Now I have to decide whether I should return my system (because of the possibility that this revision exists) or hang onto it. I just wish I didn't have to always worry about making right/wrong calls when it comes to Nintendo these days.

I like how the DS "rose Nintendo to heaven" and the 3DS seemingly brought them straight back down to hell. I bet Yamauchi is rolling in his preemptive grave right now.

I feel like people have a tough time discerning between what they would like and what the average handheld game player wants. They don't give a shit about graphics, gimmicks like 3d are cool to these people and they want to play the same titles over and over again. The 3ds's problems are marketing but more importantly, the lack of a Pokemon or Mario. Zelda has never been a huge seller on handhelds relatively so there really hasn't been a huge evergreen like title for 3ds launched yet.(Mario Kart, Pokemon,etc)

Chittagong said:
at face value this sounds like bullshit, but then again Nintendo always does everything full on. When they are successful, they'll full on sweep the market - NES, GB - GBA, Pokemon, DS, Wii. On the other hand, once the get into the rare fucking up mode, they'll do full on fucking up everything - Virtual Boy, N64(DD). Which I think both the 3DS and Wii U are doing - and this rumor would fit that pattern.

The 3DS isn't doing bad enough to warrant a full out "blaaaaahh we fucked up" panic attack. And you'd think they'd actually wait to see what a holiday season full of games and a price drop would actually do to the performance before losing it.

Yagharek

Moodkip said:
Very disappointing if true.

It's not too late to return my 3DS but I've already bought digital content for the thing... so that's about 20$ I'll never get back if I return it.

One the other hand, if I don't return it, there might be some relatively harmless trade-in deals when this thing comes out (if it exists). And hopefully the system transfer will work for this hypothetical dual-analogue system as well if/when it comes out.

Now I have to decide whether I should return my system (because of the possibility that this revision exists) or hang onto it. I just wish I didn't have to always worry about making right/wrong calls when it comes to Nintendo these days.

I like how the DS "rose Nintendo to heaven" and the 3DS seemingly brought them straight back down to hell. I bet Yamauchi is rolling in his preemptive grave right now.

Please tell me you're not taking this seriously

Graphics Horse said:
don't forget the Expansion pack!

and this
panasonic-q.jpg

Angry Fork

Don't worry Nintendo will give away 20 old NES games and everyone will be okay with it for some reason.

I totally believe this rumor though, 1 analog isn't going to cut it. All those games 3rd parties would want to make came out for PSP already. Without another analog stick 3rd parties aren't going to pass up Vita for 3DS and all 3DS will have left is 1st party stuff (and that's how things usually end up anyway but I think Nintendo wants to shake this stigma off).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ShockingAlberto said:
It does have its parallels, though.

Like take this thread from 2006: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32590

Sources claim the GBE will play Gamecube games! Don't buy the DS, the real thing is coming down the pipe soon!

And I mean, thinking more about it, Nintendo is not going to relaunch the 3DS as new, 3D-less hardware next year, when they already have a system launch prepared. The DSLite used more or less the same parts the DSPhat did, a 3D-less 3DS would not, it would at very least need a different screen.
Once again your tag proves to be shockingly accurate.

Moodkip

RandomVince said:
Please tell me you're not taking this seriously

No one saw the price drop coming this soon. Who's to say this isn't possible as well? And by a seemingly reputable website, to boot.

Moodkip said:
No one saw the price drop coming this soon. Who's to say this isn't possible as well? And by a seemingly reputable website as well.

Logic?
There's no where to even plug an analog stick in to on the 3DS!

hardcastle_mccormick said:
The 3DS isn't doing bad enough to warrant a full out "blaaaaahh we fucked up" panic attack. And you'd think they'd actually wait to see what a holiday season full of games and a price drop would actually do to the performance before losing it.

There is no disadvantage to planning crazy strategies in advance in case holiday sales don't live up to expectations, in fact it's very adventageous to be able to switch to a backup plan instead of not having a clue what to do when it's already failed. OK there's one downside, your plans could leak.

Eteric Rice said:
It's like the media is actively trying to kill the 3DS.

The Marios are coming in like, a few months ffs.

That's what I'm saying. I mean damn, wait for the Mario Kart/Mario game. And I'm sure they're working on a new generation of Pokemon, so if it still doesn't meet expectations ater these games, then by all means do it. I just don't see how adding a 2nd analog to the system is going to make it become a must have system. If the games are worth it, then word
will spread.

Wazzim

Banned
AceBandage said:
Logic?
To hell with logic, logic didn't help us predicting the number 1 console this gen or the success of the DS.

Yagharek

Moodkip said:
No one saw the price drop coming this soon. Who's to say this isn't possible as well? And by a seemingly reputable website, to boot.

As above, logic. Its just more fud from the usual suspects.
Rational Nintendo discussion is impossible these days. Its all doom/third part/iOS/angry birds ad infinitum.

Moodkip

AceBandage said:
Logic?

Not into the 3DS, no. But what about a revision?

Andrex said:
Nintendo is currently preparing a new 3DS for a 2012 release. This new version would radically tone down the whole “3D“ angle, with a new design and even probably a different name.

It's this I'm more inclined to believe then a supposed analogue add-on.

Moodkip said:
Not into the 3DS, no. But what about a revision?

It's this I'm more inclined to believe then a supposed analogue add-on.

The same rumor says they're working on an attachment.
You can't just pick and choose here...

KAL2006

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
see you at Vita's third redesign in two years
The thing about psp and vita gdtting revisions is that at least the 1st edition is great the fat psp is still a nicely designed bit of harder hell i know plenty of people who prefer it over slim psp where as with the fat ds it was horrible to begin with same with vita and ds to me the vita is a perfectly designed hardware but with 3ds i am already thinking of revisions such as a 3ds with a larger screen

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I imagine this is about as likely as Wii HD was. It feels like half of these rumours are just meant to deter people from purchasing the hardware in question rather than because people have any real information. Meh. A revision is likely, everyone does it, but not with such radical changes. People expected a PSP revision with dual analog too. Lol.

Dual analog controls wouldn't even solve any of the perceived problems, there aren't enough shoulder buttons and stuff on any of the handhelds. One analog + touch screen with a second analog's functions set to it + touch buttons for certain functions seems at the very least as flexible to me. In both cases you'll need to design your game around the handheld rather than be able to directly port the mechanics of the home console games anyway. I guess a dual analog setup would be enough for games like Monster Hunter where you use the face buttons anyway so you don't constantly change the camera angle at the same time you attack or do whatever else because you do all that with your thumb, but in such cases the touch screen can work just fine too, without the stylus on hand as it doesn't exactly require super precision to keep a monster in view.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:
The thing about psp and vita gdtting revisions is that at least the 1st edition is great the fat psp is still a nicely designed bit of harder hell i know plenty of people who prefer it over slim psp where as with the fat ds it was horrible to begin with same with vita and ds to me the vita is a perfectly designed hardware but with 3ds i am already thinking of revisions such as a 3ds with a larger screen

I'm thinking about the revision of Vita with a smaller screen.

Poyunch

X26 said:
I know if sounds terrible, but I kinda hope this is true just so I can witness all the meltdowns.
I can let it go for exclusives going multiplatform or franchises moving to other platforms but this is going a bit too far.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kazerei said:
Doesn't look like there's enough space for another circle pad, unless the power button is moved

http://www.nintendo.com/images/3ds/hardware/hwimages/img3.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Well the rumor is that it's an attachment, so no buttons can be relocated. And it would have to be smaller to fit underneath the face buttons, too so it would probably have a lot less travel than the existing circle pad. On top of that, there's nowhere to have something like that attach to.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Also they need to add a brightness button like the PSP has like yesterday. So stupid not to be able to change the screen brightness whenever ya want to.

StickSoldier said:
That's what I'm saying. I mean damn, wait for the Mario Kart/Mario game. And I'm sure they're working on a new generation of Pokemon

Of course they are! Just remember the Gameboy Color didn't a new generation. It got Version 3 and nothing more. Now where will B/W V3 land and where will Generation 6 land...?

Top Bottom