• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

ZOONAMI

Samsung may have Apple beat in design from a attractiveness standpoint, but they sure have their work cut out for them in camera and performance. I'm almost positive with this OLED screen that GSMArena battery life test scores for the iPhone X are going to the best ever for the iPhone and near industry leading in (for flagship phones) in terms of battery life when the device is used for web browsing and watching video. The only thing I'm not sure about is idle time - that will depend on how much of a bigger battery they have included vs the iPhone 7+ series.

As for Samsung, as long they improve their software to perform more consistently (which they definitely have over the years), then things will get better. The area where Samsung is struggling is RAM management. My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact held more apps in storage than my S7 Edge does. Most of the time, this doesn't bother me, but sometimes it does get annoying. The Plus One 5 is probably a leader in the world of Android regarding this because of the highly optimized software and large amount of RAM. It also has very good battery life. If Samsung matched performance on the One Plus (in terms of RAM management) on top of good dual cameras, still having gorgeous hardware, and improving all aspects of their biometric security and design, I think it will be another strong phone for them.

In blind tests even the S7/S8 consistently beat out the iPhone 7/7+. Even the s7 series did. Pixel and LG G6 does as well, so I'm not sure what your on about with the camera performance.

Performance in general, yes, no one is catching apples a series chips anytime soon, Huawei may have a shot in the next few years with their kirin chips though.

As far as hardware features outside of the chip, android mfgs have been beating Apple for years. Software is a wash imo. So yeah Apple has the performance crown, but that's about it, and I don't know how long they'll even hold onto that. Huaweis new kirin 970 may already be pretty close to an a11.

Shit like this is form over function. Unfortunately, it's what the loudest tech enthusiasts have been asking for.

Irrationally hate any and all bezels but still want front-facing sensors? Here's the result.

eh, I'd say that complaining about web page content not stretching to the edges of the screen is a complaint about form, not function.

VeeP

I can't imagine how annoying that is for people who actually get into fanboy phone wars. Even Samsung mid-range phones have had these features for a long time.

Well one good thing is that simply because Apple does it, a lot of places (at least in USA) will adopt it faster. So expect to see a lot more wireless charging options at resturarants, cafes, etc. which is great for Android owners.

As for how annoying it is for people who get into fanboy phone wars, good. Maybe they should grow up.

To be fair. I never browse in landscape. But I'm also not everybody...
The movie playback is more worrying to me.

As a web developer... I can just see the bug reports.

"On iphone the page is not full width"
"When I turn iphone sideways you put white bars on my screen"
"can we PLEASE make the site full width on iphone why is this bug?"
"why do photos have white bars on iphone?"

I'll reply with, "This is the design of Safari on the Iphone X, I'm sorry I can't make full width bands in Landscape,"

"BUT other websites do it!" [links to website that's 1 solid color and uses <body> background color or uses some insane javascript hack to change the body background color based on scroll position]

My heart sunk when I saw this

rokkerkory

Wait until you see what Safari does to web pages...

https://twitter.com/thomasfuchs/status/907764896829452288

They seriously just didn't fucking think this out:

https://twitter.com/BenPackard/status/907785129829036033

FhfxWful.png

o5EFqAMl.png

QGiqBfEl.png

This is stupid lol

reKon

Banned
In blind tests even the S7/S8 consistently beat out the iPhone 7/7+. Even the s7 series did. Pixel and LG G6 does as well, so I'm not sure what your on about with the camera performance.

Performance in general, yes, no one is catching apples a series chips anytime soon, Huawei may have a shot in the next few years with their kirin chips though.

I'm mainly talking about the 4K 60fps shootong ability of the iPhone X and the dual ois cameras. Not sure how much of an engineering challenge it will be to pack this in the Galaxy S9 while maintaining the same body as the S8.

I know the Galaxy S7 edge is one of the best camera phones.

Performance wise, all flagships generally run smooth. I'm mainly talking about ram performance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The front sure does look better if you ask me. Not a fan of that notch in the X.

Cipherr

...and for years burn-in has been a problem. Perhaps Apple was waiting for that issue to be largely resolved, hence their "finally reached the quality" position. Just because it's been available for years doesn't mean it's been free of major issues for years. Which was the entire point in the statement.

I have a 5 year old Galaxy Nexus that's been relegated to alarm clock duty for the last 4 years. Still kicking. Zero burn in.

Im curious as someone who has been using OLED phones for YEARS now.... When exactly do you think that OLED's "issues" stopped being an issue? Because that stuff they say about it not being good enough for them is just marketing. And taking it at face value makes you look really naive. Do, you really think that all these years people have been suffering behind a high percentage of OLED burn in until exactly right this moment when Apple made the switch? That the small tablets Apple mocked were a terrible idea right up until the moment that they decided they weren't and launched an iPad Mini? That facial recognition that's been around forever on phones has been completely crap until just yesterday when they coincidentally replaced their fingerprint system with it? That NFC was a terrible technology that was dreadfully unsafe and to be avoided until they embraced it? That the 3:2 ratio for phones was just magically superior to 16:9 right up until it wasn't? Or that large screens on phones were a fad and that we should all just buy tablets until?

Is their timing always just 100 percent perfect on when to adopt things they are behind on? To the degree that it wasn't worth praise beforehand, but is instantly the best ever afterwards? Or is it likely that its just mostly harmless marketing they use to dead end conversations about competitors (which is smart). Its definitely the latter, and it really strikes me as odd when someone comes out and parrots that stuff as if its anything other than empty deflection.

OLED has been magnificent for years. It didn't JUST become good enough yesterday... Its far more likely that Apple has been waiting for a way to maintain their high margins on hardware components than it is that they were waiting out some issue with the tech. One year after the margins fall to below LCD, and they switch. Sounds about right.

kmfdmpig

Samsung phone does look better IMO. Iphone X looks fine too. Just that the cutout really annoys me

I've never owned an iPhone, but I actually like the cutout in portrait mode as it seems like a smart compromise between the reality of having a camera and the goal of having more screen, particularly as the top is only notification icons anyway and doesn't need the full width of the phone. It seems like the issues most have with it (other than the purely esthetic ones) are with the way it's implemented in landscape. Perhaps shifting notifications/ui elements to the top and bottom of the edge rather than trying to put video there would have been better?

Because there are more important things than looks when it comes to choosing phones, and the OP jus glosses over the faster CPU like its no big deal.

A faster CPU for a Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat machine for most people doesn't really matter when it's within a second or two of the competition (which can be had for a third of the price).

Sure, I'm impressed by the processor itself, but not enough to justify having to deal with iOS' shortcomings and the overpricing of their products.

VeeP

I've never owned an iPhone, but I actually like the cutout in portrait mode as it seems like a smart compromise between the reality of having a camera and the goal of having more screen, particularly as the top is only notification icons anyway and doesn't need the full width of the phone. It seems like the issues most have with it (other than the purely esthetic ones) are with the way it's implemented in landscape. Perhaps shifting notifications/ui elements to the top and bottom of the edge rather than trying to put video there would have been better?

My personal opinion is keep the cutout, but the area near it black like a concept pic showed above. Use that as real estate for other things. Maybe have an option like in watch OS to put whatever you want up there, or use it as a notification bar. Or something. And as for landscape view keep it black, it just makes more sense.

Daffy Duck

As a web developer... I can just see the bug reports.

"On iphone the page is not full width"
"When I turn iphone sideways you put white bars on my screen"
"can we PLEASE make the site full width on iphone why is this bug?"
"why do photos have white bars on iphone?"

I'll reply with, "This is the design of Safari on the Iphone X, I'm sorry I can't make full width bands in Landscape,"

"BUT other websites do it!" [links to website that's 1 solid color and uses <body> background color or uses some insane javascript hack to change the body background color based on scroll position]

My heart sunk when I saw this

Tell me about it. I can just imagine the conversations I'll have to have with my Luddite boss.

LQX

The X looks amazing for videos. Finally a design that truly takes advantage of every corner of the screen.

Cipherr

Because there are more important things than looks when it comes to choosing phones, and the OP jus glosses over the faster CPU like its no big deal.

What's important differs heavily by person on smartphones. Checking market and financial news, email, calls, texts and banking may not care so much about the CPU.

But man, if you are a gamer? The faster CPU in the iphone cannot be beaten. In fact, it would rank as the most important factor to you more than likely.

not sure what garmin I was "up against" this weekend (my buddy's), but the only thing my OG was short on was GPS and the swimming workouts available in the S2.. and the altimeter.

The S2 seems to match most garmins except for the altimeter.

S3 then seems to shore the altimeter up. and then has all of the connectivity (both tethered and untethered) related to the phone.

edit - and my OG even stood up to a a 40min open water swim.. I was a bit hesitant to try at IP67.. but I didn't want to lose out on the calories/activity.. handled it like a champ.

If you're measuring "matching" by "can I record this activity," then yeah they're pretty comparable. But there's a host of things that the S2 doesn't do that won't be fixed by the S3 upgrade. Even basic things like accurate run pacing are tough for the watch.

If we're comparing similar price points, we're looking at the newer Garmin Vivoactive -
even the older Vivoactive HR. Apple Watch has the phone integration stuff down - you can get your notifications and stuff with Garmin, but most of that other interaction goes away. Garmin flat-out can't compete there.

But fitness stuff? Accurate pacing, customizeable data screens, alerts for pace, HR, distance, etc., VO2 max estimations, cadence tracking, compatibility with 3rd party tracking accessories, HR zones, and way more.

I mean sure, if your baseline is "my watch can also have a "running" activity, then sure.

But also, Apple Health has shitty integration with 3rd party apps like Strava and doesn't allow you to export your .tcx GPS files if you want to. It's very limited.

kiguel182

The hate for bezels is definetly gotten to ridiculous levels. I saw youtubers comment on the iPhone 8 like it’s bezels were the most horrendous thing they had ever seen. Like, calm down. I mean, you might not like bezels but it’s not like they hurt the use of the phone. And with the front facing sensors you are looking at weird ways around displaying content anyway.

I mean, Apple is pretty much charging a premium for the bezel removal. Yeah, the screen is better overall but you didn’t have to remove the bezels to achieve that.

I like infinity displays but it’s not a game breaking feature for me and the hate bezels get seems overblown.

ZOONAMI

The hate for bezels is definetly gotten to ridiculous levels. I saw youtubers comment on the iPhone 8 like it’s bezels were the most horrendous thing they had ever seen. Like, calm down. I mean, you might not like bezels but it’s not like they hurt the use of the phone. And with the front facing sensors you are looking at weird ways around displaying content anyway.

I mean, Apple is pretty much charging a premium for the bezel removal. Yeah, the screen is better overall but you didn’t have to remove the bezels to achieve that.

I like infinity displays but it’s not a game breaking feature for me and the hate bezels get seems overblown.

The 7+/8+ actually are so huge that they are uncomfortable to use. I actually don't like the curved approach of Samsung though. LG has it perfect with the G6 and V30.

It's not the concept of bezels that people hate. It's the ratio and people feeling like they could have a significantly larger screen or significantly smaller body overall if they made them smaller (and they'd be right).

Here's a comparison with the Mi Mix 1 (which has more bezel than the Mi Mix 2). Roughly the same physical size despite the Mi Mix having an extra 0.9 inches of screen.
mix-jpg.714064

Cipherr

I think a lot of the issue with bezels has been expectation.

Samsung did a damn fine job with the minimum bezel thing, but I was completely prepared for Apple to do better than even that. When they pulled out the X with that ugly frame around it, and that chin at the top eating into the display area I supposed it was a bit of a recoil moment.

I suppose Samsung will get a little more appreciation for their design when approaching this now. At least until next year when Apple polishes this. No fucking way will they come out next year with something that looks like this again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My phone does. It's frosted glass so it feels nice too.

HST_SonyXperiaZ5Compact_8.jpg
The Z5.
That's what I currently have and I had it for almost 2 years and I ain't upgrading anytime soon, there is absolutely nothing worth it atm.

Hissing Sid

How haven't I seen the new iPhone design before now? They naming this the iPhugly or what? Awful design.

I think my iPhone 6 is a bit crap looking tbh but blimey, Apple seem to have outdone themselves here.

I miss my iPhone 3G, now that was gorgeous.

kmfdmpig

Samsung did a damn fine job with the minimum bezel thing, but I was completely prepared for Apple to do better than even that. When they pulled out the X with that ugly frame around it, and that chin at the top eating into the display area I supposed it was a bit of a recoil moment.

I suppose Samsung will get a little more appreciation for their design when approaching this now. At least until next year when Apple polishes this. No fucking way will they come out next year with something that looks like this again.

Good points. I wonder what the next steps are? If they can put a fingerprint sensor (eventually) under the screen can they put a camera under the screen (and perhaps just blank that section prior to taking pictures)? I'm curious to see where phone design goes from here.

Discourse

My wife has a Galaxy S8 and I've been marvelling at how amazing the photos taken with her phone are. I use an old Android phone myself and I have an old iPhone 5 I still use when I go running or to listen to podcasts while traveling.

I'm switching to the X if the camera performance is better than the S8's.

TI82

Banned
Galaxy S8 is a truly wonderful phone. I use the side menu all the time specifically for it's screenshot tool. Seriously my favorite smart phone update in a long time.

a916

Stories trending in mainstream media (and some tech sites):

"What is OLED?"

"Why do I need wireless charging?"

Sigh.

They weren't the first to the table, but they definitely do bring a lot of eyes on stuff like this when they do come... a lot of people weren't going to make their first step into wireless charging until Apple did. (It is a big deal because it's a LOT of people and bringing more people on board with a technology in it's infancy is a good thing, it'll spur more development)

kiguel182

The 7+/8+ actually are so huge that they are uncomfortable to use. I actually don't like the curved approach of Samsung though. LG has it perfect with the G6 and V30.

It's not the concept of bezels that people hate. It's the ratio and people feeling like they could have a significantly larger screen or significantly smaller body overall if they made them smaller (and they'd be right).

Here's a comparison with the Mi Mix 1 (which has more bezel than the Mi Mix 2). Roughly the same physical size despite the Mi Mix having an extra 0.9 inches of screen.
mix-jpg.714064

The screen to body ration of the iPhone 8 is pretty bad yeah. Altought due to Touch ID I don’t think they could’ve shrunk it.

But as long as you can hold the phone comfortably I think the slightly bigger screens don’t improve the experience that much. Altought I have an SE so clearly smaller screens don’t bother me lol.

jelly

I dunno, they seem quite happy to roll with the iPhone 6 design more or less, even with the X. I don't think they are going to pull an ace out their hat, a refinement probably but when it comes to that, I can only think they'll narrow the edges slightly, they aren't putting a big bezel at the top for the face ID etc. and removing that mess from the screen real estate.

Looks like the guy who though this was a good way to charge a stylus has moved to the OS team

being able to charge the Pencil with the device that you will always have with it is a good idea, no matter how goofy it looks

charging a mouse with a Lightning connector on the bottom of it is fucking indefensible, however

kinggroin

Banned
being able to charge the Pencil with the device that you will always have with it is a good idea, no matter how goofy it looks

charging a mouse with a Lightning connector on the bottom of it is fucking indefensible, however

They're gonna add a joint to the end of that pencil, and the audience will roar on it's unveiling

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you're measuring "matching" by "can I record this activity," then yeah they're pretty comparable. But there's a host of things that the S2 doesn't do that won't be fixed by the S3 upgrade. Even basic things like accurate run pacing are tough for the watch.

If we're comparing similar price points, we're looking at the newer Garmin Vivoactive -
even the older Vivoactive HR. Apple Watch has the phone integration stuff down - you can get your notifications and stuff with Garmin, but most of that other interaction goes away. Garmin flat-out can't compete there.

But fitness stuff? Accurate pacing, customizeable data screens, alerts for pace, HR, distance, etc., VO2 max estimations, cadence tracking, compatibility with 3rd party tracking accessories, HR zones, and way more.

I mean sure, if your baseline is "my watch can also have a "running" activity, then sure.

But also, Apple Health has shitty integration with 3rd party apps like Strava and doesn't allow you to export your .tcx GPS files if you want to. It's very limited.

thanks for this.. will read it over a bit more. so base tracking seems to be there (pace tracking seems to be fine for me) but garmin has way better customization. apple DOES give you great access to your data, but not a great (or any?) way to export it.

mix-jpg.714064

The iPhone 8 could do better in the ratio, but holy shit it will be 100x the phone the Mi mix will be

Top Bottom