• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Fjord

I was on a quest for years to find a good 2 player boardgame for my girl. Finally found it in Netrunner. There's something about the asymmetrical nature that prevents it from building up tension like other 1v1 games can. Not much randomness, usually a close game. Also fantastic replayability, we're probably over 100 games now.

I'd add Morels as another light two player game. What's lighter than taking a stroll through the woods, picking some mushrooms and frying them up?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Legendary is proving to be more fun than the cards can handle, so I've ordered sleeves, after sleeving all 500 cards (what a job), shuffling is much easier, the game looks more phenomenal, and the wear and tear is as good as gone. Still looking for a decent solution for the dividers though.

The card mat to replace the gameboard is nice for Legendary too. The soft game mats make it easier to pick up the cards which is a main source of card damage.

Legendary is proving to be more fun than the cards can handle, so I've ordered sleeves, after sleeving all 500 cards (what a job), shuffling is much easier, the game looks more phenomenal, and the wear and tear is as good as gone. Still looking for a decent solution for the dividers though.

Like these?

I know Upper Deck was giving away dividers at conventions like Gen Con and some FLGS also have them (don't know if they're supposed to be free though). The linked one above looks nicer than the stuff Upper Deck gave away (not a knock, I appreciate that they made these to give away)

Those would be awesome. How do I use them? Print them out and paste them over the dividers, or print on heavy paper and use that instead (maybe laminated)?

Huh, I'm not sure. When I googled Legendary Dividers, I found my way to the link I atached above, but I also swear that while surfing, one or more of the BGG threads were talking about how they used those dividers (cut them, print them, etc.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They give away the labels for the divider, but you had to buy actual divider packs at the conventions.

I wish they would make individual player mats. I print out my own because it just makes the game flow a little better, especially with new players, with player mats that have all the spaces delineated as well as turn info, factions, etc.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Finally was able to get some Game of Thrones in. Seems like this is going to be a good one! I don't know if y'all remember but I pop in here every now and then (well, the old thread) and I would recommend Twilight Imperium to everyone lol. I saw that Christian Petersen was designer of this as well and I have been meaning to get some time with it for probably like a year now.

Sunday, a bunch of non-board gamers and a couple light players came to my friends house to watch GoT and I brought the game. Everyone seemed to love it. I sharked as best as I could, and we got to the 5th round before the show started and we had to wrap up. It was great seeing a couple who kinda just walked in and saw the board and were like "wtf is this shit" turn into 2 of the most interested in the game.

Last night I got to play again, but only with 4 people. Easy to see why this is a 6 player game. There was basically no player interaction for the 4 round game and the Lannister player won because no one picked Greyjoy or Tyrell and he marched right to victory easily D:

We are running it back on Friday with a full squad, hopefully. If we dont have 6 we will just play Mage Knight though lol

Slacker

Anyone have experience with Quantum? My group doesn't really have a dice game we play and it looks like something we'd enjoy. The SUSD review was pretty convincing too.

Karkador

Banned
I don't know if I'd call it a "dice game" first and foremost. The amount of dice rolling in the game seems minimal compared to everything else you do.

Neverfade

Anyone have experience with Quantum? My group doesn't really have a dice game we play and it looks like something we'd enjoy. The SUSD review was pretty convincing too.

I was pretty meh on Quantum for a long time. Then I played it. It's legit. But as stated above, it's a game with dice, not necessarily a dice game.

EYEL1NER

Pretty big two days I just had. Two X-Wing Core Sets arrived yesterday, along with a Plano case to sort them into. I also received 1000 sleeves so I could start sleeving Smash Up cards, Fortress America, and 30 MDM cards and dice I ordered from a guy on eBay.
Today I got in D&D Legend of Drizzt, Puerto Rico, Memoir 44, some X-Wing expansions (Y-Wing, TIE Advanced, and TIE Fighter), and two Marvel Dice Master starters. Lotta sleeving, sorting, inventorying, and then reading of rule books over the next couple days.

I actually tried to play a game of X-Wing with a coworker earlier. After two hours one of my four TIEs had taken only one critical hit, one of his two X-Wings had lost its shields, and the other X-Wing had no shields and one crit. We realized how much time had passed and decided to call winner for whoever destroyed the first ship.
It's weird. I have read the X-Wing rules at least 5 times online over the past two weeks, read the physical rules once last night, read tons of FAQs and reference guides, and watched the intro videos on the FFG site. As soon as I sat down to play I said "Fuck, I don't know what I am doing." I thought I was fairly spun up and ready to play, but I guess not. I think part of it might have been my mind blanking a bit due to it being my first minis game. I was constantly bumping into pieces when measuring moves and nudging them and sending them everywhere. I was getting pretty frustrated with it, like "How do people play these games?" Next session is going to require a bit more patience from me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty big two days I just had. Two X-Wing Core Sets arrived yesterday, along with a Plano case to sort them into. I also received 1000 sleeves so I could start sleeving Smash Up cards, Fortress America, and 30 MDM cards and dice I ordered from a guy on eBay.
Today I got in D&D Legend of Drizzt, Puerto Rico, Memoir 44, some X-Wing expansions (Y-Wing, TIE Advanced, and TIE Fighter), and two Marvel Dice Master starters. Lotta sleeving, sorting, inventorying, and then reading of rule books over the next couple days.

I actually tried to play a game of X-Wing with a coworker earlier. After two hours one of my four TIEs had taken only one critical hit, one of his two X-Wings had lost its shields, and the other X-Wing had no shields and one crit. We realized how much time had passed and decided to call winner for whoever destroyed the first ship.
It's weird. I have read the X-Wing rules at least 5 times online over the past two weeks, read the physical rules once last night, read tons of FAQs and reference guides, and watched the intro videos on the FFG site. As soon as I sat down to play I said "Fuck, I don't know what I am doing." I thought I was fairly spun up and ready to play, but I guess not. I think part of it might have been my mind blanking a bit due to it being my first minis game. I was constantly bumping into pieces when measuring moves and nudging them and sending them everywhere. I was getting pretty frustrated with it, like "How do people play these games?" Next session is going to require a bit more patience from me.
It's funny because on this week's Dice Tower, Eric had pretty much the same experience and it reminded me of my handful of experiences with the game as well. I can't compare it to minis games because I'm a board gamer, and from the perspective of other 2p board games it does just feel like it takes too long for what it is. I know people go gaga over it, and even I have tons of figures (which are amazing), but I just could never get over the hump to really enjoying it as a game. Next time I might just try some of the scenarios rather than just army vs. army, which I find dull and overlong.

hat_hair

Played some fun games last night.

Pandante - Definitely more of a gamers version of poker, although, like Sirlin's other games, will require some more practice to get the hang of how to play. The games we had tended to result in everyone staying in the whole way through and then someone taking a massive pot as well as some challenge gold to win in about 2-3 hands.

Seasons - an interesting mashup of drafting and resource acquisition. Lots of systems playing off each other. You draft a hand of cards at the start, then each turn you roll dice and draft those to get resources. The dice that isn't picked determines how many months pass, and as the seasons change the dice also change, which bring different values to the different resources.

Fleet - Sadly we didn't manage to get very far with this one, but I would like to play again now that I understand the rules. An auction based game where you buy fishing licenses, launch boats and hire captains to try and get the most fish. Also, any game with a "Salty Captain" card is a fine game by me.

I played Splendor last night. I thought it was mechanically sound. It's easy to play, teach, and only plays in about 30 minutes. The problem is, it's too bland. While theme isn't the first priority in games for me, I do tend to gravitate to more thematic games on both sides, Euros and Ameritrash. Splendor is just completely void of theme and it bored me because of it. As far as I can tell I was using gens to buy beach chairs that generated me more rubies. Get enough beach chairs and King Henry would want to hang out with me.

So while I said this game's mechanics are sound they also are really basic and don't really give options for more complex actions. Take Carcassonne for instance, you have two actions to do. You must place a tile and you may place a guy. Very simple, but where you place the tile can effect where you place your guy. The simple mechanics offer a basis for very strategic and complex play. Splendor doesn't have that. It's either take gems, buy a card, or take a card for a future turn.

It's a solid game mechanically and it's technically not bad, it's just, for someone used to gaming it's a bore. Anyway, I would recommend this game to only the most casual of players.

Anybody else play it? Am I way off base here?

I'm so excited! I'm finally going to play Cosmic Encounter. Got a group together with the power of cookies. Heard so many good things about it. I just can't wait!

fenners

(Star Wars X Wing)

It's funny because on this week's Dice Tower, Eric had pretty much the same experience and it reminded me of my handful of experiences with the game as well. I can't compare it to minis games because I'm a board gamer, and from the perspective of other 2p board games it does just feel like it takes too long for what it is. I know people go gaga over it, and even I have tons of figures (which are amazing), but I just could never get over the hump to really enjoying it as a game. Next time I might just try some of the scenarios rather than just army vs. army, which I find dull and overlong.

I just traded mine away as I just cannot get it to the table. I don't have enough to mount big battles, and I can't justify spending more on it, so away it goes.

Karkador

Banned
I played Splendor last night. I thought it was mechanically sound. It's easy to play, teach, and only plays in about 30 minutes. The problem is, it's too bland. While theme isn't the first priority in games for me, I do tend to gravitate to more thematic games on both sides, Euros and Ameritrash. Splendor is just completely void of theme and it bored me because of it. As far as I can tell I was using gens to buy beach chairs that generated me more rubies. Get enough beach chairs and King Henry would want to hang out with me.

So while I said this game's mechanics are sound they also are really basic and don't really give options for more complex actions. Take Carcassonne for instance, you have two actions to do. You must place a tile and you may place a guy. Very simple, but where you place the tile can effect where you place your guy. The simple mechanics offer a basis for very strategic and complex play. Splendor doesn't have that. It's either take gems, buy a card, or take a card for a future turn.

It's a solid game mechanically and it's technically not bad, it's just, for someone used to gaming it's a bore. Anyway, I would recommend this game to only the most casual of players.

I agree. I don't find the game too exciting, and it's hard to see what the fuss (especially the SdJ fuss) is all about. The theme is as pasted on as the stickers of the gems on the poker chips, and the game just feels so linear. I feel like people are going to sober up about this game later on.

In case there are GAF'ers in the DC area, there's an Unpub Mini event in Chantilly, VA next Saturday. The quick gist is that a lot of boardgame designers are hoping to playtest their games, garner interest, etc. for games that they are designing. For us, it's just an excuse to play board games all day that haven't released yet.

It's at:
Game Parlor
13936 Metrotech Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

For some silly reason, the Unpub site doesn't have the full details of who's coming with what. So I'll have to link a friend's Blog site if you want to see that list:
http://keithferguson.blogspot.com/2014/06/unpub-mini-chantilly-va-june-21st-2014.html

Gryph

I agree. I don't find the game too exciting, and it's hard to see what the fuss (especially the SdJ fuss) is all about. The theme is as pasted on as the stickers of the gems on the poker chips, and the game just feels so linear. I feel like people are going to sober up about this game later on.

I actually really disagree with both of you here. Not about the theme, there's no doubt that it's just a mechanic game with a pasted on Jewel Merchant flavor.

The mechanics of the game however provide for a lot of strategy. There are different paths to victory and different methods for building up victory points, such as focusing on building a production engine or aiming straight for victory points, or monopolizing a gem type to block your opponents. The layout of the buying board allows for ample time to examine your opponents strategy and try to ruin it. There's a lot more shifting and reacting than in Carcassonne. (Which is a wonderful game, I'm not diminishing its elegance I promise.)

I've played about 5 games so far and each one has been more exciting and tense than the last. I think it plays better with the cut-throat competitive type. I'm a big fan, even though I've lost most of those games...

AMUSIX

So my birthday was at the beginning of the month, my wife got me a number of games that work well with 2, but expand nicely to 4 or 5. Most here will be familiar with them, but I'll do a quick rundown anyway.

Forbidden Island
d0UKd0kl.jpg

Plays very much like a light Pandemic. Not surprising as its by the same designer, but worked great for us as a 'wanna play a quick game before we go to lunch' type of thing. Co-op game where you move your character around trying to collect treasure, then the 'board' takes a turn, where you flip over cards to see where hell is breaking loose. It is very light and simple, but still fun.

Forbidden Desert
HBAyhlvl.jpg

Again by the same designer, still a co-op "get the required items and get out of dodge" game, but feels very different from island. This one feels a lot more difficult, and forces you to strategize a bit more. I've played it 5 times, lost two of them, and was on the verge two others. Haven't played it with more than 2 people yet, but could see that being even more difficult. Would have to play it a bit more, but I think I'd recommend this one for most game shelves.

Seasons
eThQHlq.jpg

A game of choices. Seriously, you are constantly having to make one choice after the next, and this is a very, very good thing. From drafting to hand organization to actions to the speed of the game to, well, everything... Might easily become a new favorite. Plays very well with two people, and equally as fun with three...haven't tried four yet. Oh, and the game is a LOT less fiddly than it looks (which is why I had initially stayed away from it). The only problem I have with the game design is the language, as it doesn't seem to use any conventional terms. Also, it's very colorful.

Takenoko
NIwZrnyl.jpg

Cute little game about growing bamboo to try to match the goal cards in your hand, while the panda is eating the bamboo, and-FUCK YOU, PANDA, I needed that green! god damnit! I was just about to finish a card! FUCKING PANDA! And why the hell would you put the pink tile there??? God damnit! This is bullshit!

Tsuro of the Seas
LcULxBxl.jpg

I'm a big fan of Tsuro as a very light, easy, seconds to teach/minutes to play game. Use it a lot to kick off game days. This apparently adds a few elements that bring a lot to the game (specifically the dragons) so I'm very interested in playing it. Haven't gotten around to opening it, yet, though.

I actually really disagree with both of you here. Not about the theme, there's no doubt that it's just a mechanic game with a pasted on Jewel Merchant flavor.

The mechanics of the game however provide for a lot of strategy. There are different paths to victory and different methods for building up victory points, such as focusing on building a production engine or aiming straight for victory points, or monopolizing a gem type to block your opponents. The layout of the buying board allows for ample time to examine your opponents strategy and try to ruin it. There's a lot more shifting and reacting than in Carcassonne. (Which is a wonderful game, I'm not diminishing its elegance I promise.)

I've played about 5 games so far and each one has been more exciting and tense than the last. I think it plays better with the cut-throat competitive type. I'm a big fan, even though I've lost most of those games...
The tension wasn't there for me. I always felt like I had multiple "good" moves that missing out on grabbing a card never bothered me. Even the few times I feared that I will lose a big card I just grabbed it plus a wild chip, which is a good second prize. Also the nobles that you can grab are so balanced that, again, if I was working for one and someone else grabbed it I had another option that was only a card or two off. They aren't even worth different points so there is no need to get hung up on missing out on a noble.

As far as different strategies, I could see maybe rushing the high valued point cards to speed up to the end game, but you are still tied to only having 10 gems at a time. You can only get so far with that strategy before you need to slow down and buy the cheaper non point cards. I don't think it's a bad game. There is nothing broken with it's mechanics and the game does what it does well. I just find what it does boring.

^^ thanks for the reviews, amusix. Been thinking about Seasons, but was worried it would be too deep. Your view makes it sound much better.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seasons isn't hard, but it has a lot of depth, or at least rewards folks who know what card and combos are possible, so a veteran player will know the strategies much better. I has some bookkeeping with lots of "oh, i forgot i get an extra crystal" type stuff.

Fun game though.

AMUSIX

^^ thanks for the reviews, amusix. Been thinking about Seasons, but was worried it would be too deep. Your view makes it sound much better.

Exactly one of my concerns. I'm fine with deep games, but I know that too many rules can turn someone off. Seasons sort of tiptoes on the edge with some things, but, ultimately, comes off as lighter. It's really just all about choices.

I had a wonderful experience with Cosmic Encounter yesterday. And it justified the purchase in an instant. The first two games were just to get rules right. (We didn't get them correctly in the third game either, because we forgot the second attack phase after a successful offensive encounter) It had been a tough first game for the most of us, because one player totally betrayed us plenty of times, which at the end would change everyone's attitude against that specific player in the next game. Yes, we totally crushed him as a 4-player alliance and rapidly getting 4 colonies on several planets. But the moment of truth had happened when I had no negotiation card and one of my alliance player drew my color from the destiny deck. Yes. I was doomed. I stood against an army of three and this was the final encounter of the game. I lost even when I tasted the sweet juice of victory for several rounds. (We only played with green Aliens this two games).

We spiced up the final game of the night, added flare cards and the other two Alien colours as well. The results were that the following aliens had been in the game this time:
Anti-Matter, Fido (me), Philanthropist, Sorcerer and Warrior. Anti-Matter's power lead to several discussion to understand him right. First mistake had been that most of us assumed there had been only one main player each turn. (Offensive and defensive are the main player btw) But we'd agreed he was overpowered in this game. An opponent, we were not allowed to underestimate. Yes, people joined his alliance to get colonies. I stayed back, being more defensive which lead me to demise. The gap got bigger with each newer turn of a player. If it had not been because of negotiations between me and the green player, I would never have got any colonies. Somehow, the green player never trusted me as she always used the power of the sorcerer to swap the encounter cards. I am trustworthy. I want to win as well. :( Lucky for me, I always got the negotiation cards back with the use of Fido's power and a friend who never wanted the card. Negotiation cards would be my key for victory.

As we moved further in the game, three players acquired four colonies. But through negotiations and superior alliance, we, green and me, each acquired a fourth colony. The end game started. The game would have been decided at the next player's turn. The player on my right had to attack Anti-Matter. Both declared they would play a negotiation card. Both did not. Anti-Matter won the defense, offensive main player didn't gain the winning colony. It was my turn. I looked up to my best friend. He looked back to me and we both knew what would happen if I drew a purple destiny card. (his color) I drew purple, immediately threw an encounter card on the table, he did as well. It was decided. I played an negotiation card, he the morph card. The negotiation was finished after five seconds. Both of us got a colony at each home colony and he and I won the game. We gave each other high fives, hugged out of joy and excitement and screamed how fucking awesome our victory was. And we won, because two players had been greedy.

An awesome night with only one game. And we played only with 15 aliens that night. There are 35 more in the game. We did not include the tech cards. And there are tons of expansion kits. Yes. I will get them all. It looks like CE will be my favourite board game for a long time.

Next new board game will be Level 7: Omega Protocol. Getting my sci-fi coop fix.

Cosmic Encounter and cookies? Can I come?
People liked the cookies, but loved Cosmic Encounter more.

X Wing and Attack Wing games typically have a time component to them as well, such as 50 minutes, so make sure the matches don't last forever. But in this case, I'd also say that with lower attack dice numbers and higher defense dice numbers, a lot of X Wing matches end up being miss dodge miss dodge dodge dead. Attack Wing, on the other hand, with higher attack values compared to defense, is more of a slugging match.

Learning to maneuver is really a matter of practice. I, to this day, will still mess up. But you'll learn tricks like how to maintain a formation after turning.

On the home front, I picked up the newest wave of Attack Wing (Borg Cube, Vulcan D'Kyr, and Bajoran Interceptor). Played a Bajoran Scout Ship + 3x Interceptor build versus a single, decked out Borg Cube. It wasn't pretty. I roughed him up pretty bad but he ended up decimating me in the end.

To be honest, I thought the X-Wing rules are pretty simple. But I have to say I played with the beginner rules at first and after my 4th game, I used the more advanced rules. I still do not have used droid cards etc., so I do not know if they slow down the overall pace of the game.

But after my few games of X-Wing, I just want to play more with more ships. It's a trap. As a teen, I have played tabletop games like Warhammer 40k, so maybe that's why I am enjoying X-Wing more than you do.

Faiz

We took a chance last night and taught my 61 year old parents Power Grid. There was some confusion at first, but they got the hang of it surprisingly well and no one ever really freaked out over the math. I was afraid it would be a disaster, but everyone had a great time.

AMUSIX

Guys. GUYS! They're making Dash Rendar's ship for x-wing. I'm losing my mind.

Curious to see how they do....this fan-built one is pretty cool:
KNC6zcHl.jpg

Wound up with a gaming evening today with a guest who really never played games.

Seasons
Played four player, two of us had the "Everyone else loses 4 crystals" card out, another had the "Everyone gives you 1 crystal" card...so, yeah, by the end of the game, pretty much noone had any points, aside from the cards they had played.
This did make us decide that we're going to change some rules. First, instead of starting with 9 cards, I think we're going to start with 12. In all of our games, there's been a huge problem with running out of things to do, and card draw is few and far between. Second, we might change the 'if you have the card draw dice, then you draw 2, keep 1' bonus move to simply being 'draw one'.
Still, fun game, and scoring came out very close, which is always a good sign.

Takenoko
Another four player affair. Halfway through the game, it looked as if one person was fully dominating, but they ended up coming in tied for last. A lot more interaction between player goals than expected, and a lot more chances to specifically screw over other players. Still, very casual, light, and fun.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Build a good sized house before the haunt started. Unfortunately, the haunt ended up being pretty weak, which was a little disappointing. Still, one of my favorite games.

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Three player game. It was Bunker, Chrono Ranger, and Absolute Zero going up against Akash'bhuta in Rook City. Had never seen the villain before, but ended up being very interesting (major synergy with the environment). Started out confident, then it looked as if everything was going to go tits up. Chrono Ranger began going fully aggressive, at the expense of his health. Clung to the last bits of our life, and, in the final round, Akash kills Chrono Ranger, Bunker manages to do enough damage to the limbs, and then Absolute Zero goes nuclear, sacrifices himself, and achieves just barely enough damage to take down Akash, leaving the heroes victorious (but only Bunker alive).
Yeah, fun game.

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Three player game. It was Bunker, Chrono Ranger, and Absolute Zero going up against Akash'bhuta in Rook City. Had never seen the villain before, but ended up being very interesting (major synergy with the environment). Started out confident, then it looked as if everything was going to go tits up. Chrono Ranger began going fully aggressive, at the expense of his health. Clung to the last bits of our life, and, in the final round, Akash kills Chrono Ranger, Bunker manages to do enough damage to the limbs, and then Absolute Zero goes nuclear, sacrifices himself, and achieves just barely enough damage to take down Akash, leaving the heroes victorious (but only Bunker alive).
Yeah, fun game.
I had the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse at my big brother's birthday and I did enjoy my short time with it. Have you played more sessions with it? Is it worth picking up?

First time I got burned by a game purchase, it seems. Picked up Jupiter Rescue as it looked like a fun co-op with some variable setups. Thing is, the game was missing the cards, making it unplayable.

Even though I didn't open any components, Cool Stuff won't take it back because it's opened, so now I have to hope that I can get the cards from the manufacturer, but that may take some time, it seems.

Just a warning if you look to get it from Cool Stuff (or Amazon, too, as it seems that the missing cards were reported there).

AMUSIX

I had the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse at my big brother's birthday and I did enjoy my short time with it. Have you played more sessions with it? Is it worth picking up?

I've played quite a few sessions, have had it for a while, and have all the expansions except for Vengeance (which is a bit different). I like it a lot, but I'm big into superheroes, so the theme definitely gives it a bump here.

I do find that, at times, the game just kicks your team's ass, sometimes, with no way to stop it, but that's something I enjoy, and, in some cases, a person can play a hero and feel as if they're not doing much (the vanilla Legacy can suffer from this).

I suppose if you have people who can get into the theme and story, like card-based games, and enjoy a challenge, it's worth picking up. It's also one that I'm careful to only bring out in certain groups.

Oh! you can also theoretically play solo (playing multiple heroes) but I haven't yet.

fenners

First time I got burned by a game purchase, it seems. Picked up Jupiter Rescue as it looked like a fun co-op with some variable setups. Thing is, the game was missing the cards, making it unplayable.

Even though I didn't open any components, Cool Stuff won't take it back because it's opened, so now I have to hope that I can get the cards from the manufacturer, but that may take some time, it seems.

Just a warning if you look to get it from Cool Stuff (or Amazon, too, as it seems that the missing cards were reported there).

That's pretty much how most interactions go for missing components etc.

So, this is driving me a bit nuts, and I'd like a bit of suggestions or feedback. I'm a tad OCD when it comes to sleeving stuff, so I went off on the deep end and sleeved all my Cards Against Humanity cards. Too much? How about games like Dominion or like Sentinels of the Multiverse? What's the appropriate cutoff where sleeving them is excessive?

So, this is driving me a bit nuts, and I'd like a bit of suggestions or feedback. I'm a tad OCD when it comes to sleeving stuff, so I went off on the deep end and sleeved all my Cards Against Humanity cards. Too much? How about games like Dominion or like Sentinels of the Multiverse? What's the appropriate cutoff where sleeving them is excessive?

Wow, CAH, huh? If something is a standout hit for your group, that'd make sense at least, especially a game like that, which could be played at bars and stuff and have lots of hands on the cards.

Generally here's my mindset on sleeving:
- Will do it for a gorgeous game or great one I know I'm never going to ever give up (Did this for Mage Knight even though we only play it co-op)
- Won't usually do it for Co-op stuff
- Will definitely do it for a competitive game that requires a ton of shuffling, so Dominion was one of the cases I went overboard with it
- Will be mandatory if a game requires role selection or hidden info with facedown cards (Love Letter, Resistance, etc...)

And it's all on a whim, mostly, of what I choose to sleeve or not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any Netrunner players in the Palo Alto area? Just a shot in the dark...

There is a NR thread here too; it's no reddit but it gets a few posts a week :p

And yep I live down here. Live-play wise we probably play at work 2-4 nights/week and then I try to make the Game Kastle tournament every month or two just to not get too rusty between big events.

sasimirobot

Nobody really talking about Lost Legacy? Everyone seemed to love Love Letter, and review sites are saying Lost Legacy is even better (Tom Vassel), but I don't see anyone mention it here.

Is there any american shop that carries the original Japanese version? It seems really hard to find, and the Japanese export shops only allow paypal, which I don't have in China.

Top Bottom