• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Ah ok. Well I just made this one:

Ce6oq.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?xrdjeift91crmfu

Printed a bunch more at Office Max, but they buggered up each one... Ink did not dry or something so when I took them out the paper envelope they put them in it peeled off all the ink to the back of each print out....

Will have to go again and retry. Hopefully by the time I do someone will have made a Just Cause 2 one *wink wink*

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BrodiemanTTR said:
So how does one go about making sure that these print out to the exact size needed to fit in the jacket?
Just make sure you print the covers at 300dpi and the proper resolution and they should be fine. They should already be 300 by default.

72dpi (standard document printing) will blow them up to poster size, or if they were made in that resolution they'll be grainy due to the low print resolution.

If you're printing them at a shop just show them an existing cover and they should make sure it's all right for you.

RedSwirl

I'd actually kinda rather we NOT put out a PS2 template. Up until now we've kept this shit current gen but I don't wanna open the floodgates.

klownboots said:
Printed a bunch more at Office Max, but they buggered up each one... Ink did not dry or something so when I took them out the paper envelope they put them in it peeled off all the ink to the back of each print out....

Will have to go again and retry. Hopefully by the time I do someone will have made a Just Cause 2 one *wink wink*

I'm working on one.

This just shows how fucking ugly modern boxart is.

When i was a kid i used to buy games for the box art alone. I dont think anyone does that today. Sometimes i dont know if thats a good thing.

Also ms need to to get rid of that huge ugly green logo.

Here's my first attempt. It's taken me ages to vector everything, and I'm still working on the last couple of bits of art for RB 1-2. For now, you can have these :)

(Click the pic to get the full sized versions).

All done by hand, tracing everything... there has to be an easier way, lol.

If anyone wants the SVG's of any of the assets (logos, icons, etc) lemme know. I made them all in Inkscape, so specify a format if you want any.

chaosblade said:
Just make sure you print the covers at 300dpi and the proper resolution and they should be fine. They should already be 300 by default.

72dpi (standard document printing) will blow them up to poster size, or if they were made in that resolution they'll be grainy due to the low print resolution.

If you're printing them at a shop just show them an existing cover and they should make sure it's all right for you.
Should you bring the file on a flash drive or something?

Edit: And you guys should put the official black PS3 borders on your amazing covers. Not just the text!

Edit 2: Also, for the combo Mediafire link in the OP, do you need to crop the box art when you're done, or...?

Aomori said:
Should you bring the file on a flash drive or something?

Edit: And you guys should put the official black PS3 borders on your amazing covers. Not just the text!

Edit 2: Also, for the combo Mediafire link in the OP, do you need to crop the box art when you're done, or...?

Edit: A lot (I think most) of us have expressed wanting the pure minimal look, so that's why you see so many of them without the black bars.

Edit 2: Last time I checked the file is the proper size.

For the people doing home printing, how do you do the white ones? I've read that someone edits it in GIMP to have a pixel black boarder around it that makes it easier to cut out, but I don't know how to do that. HALP.

If a mod can't get me post 3 and 4 to expand the directory, I have a working version now in google docs that I can post up later. It's basically the same thing as post #2, just no restrictions on length. I'd rather keep it in GAF though, so hopefully stump will get back to me.

salromano

Please -- those of you who actually print these up and use them -- be sure to share the final output! In pictures, of course!

salromano said:
Please -- those of you who actually print these up and use them -- be sure to share the final output! In pictures, of course!
Just printed two of them at Office Max for $1.30. They don't look as good as I had hoped, but they're okay. They're dark, and kind of blurry compared to an official cover. But, I'm also a perfectionist. ;)

I printed this MGS one as well, and won't end up using it, because the PS3 spine logo is bigger than every other game's. Just a heads-up to anyone wanting to use that sexy cover.

They look much better in pictures than in RL.

http://i.imgur.com/kWUvI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BX3hO.jpg

First attempt at this, but needed it for my own collection (no Darksiders love on GAF?) and figured I'd put it up here as well. It's "ultra-clean" (small PSN logo, title on spine only).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I was thinking that we should make these with no system logos at all. If someone wants the minimal header or normal bar header, they could just paste it over the top of image. No system logos mean that 360 and PC covers (and Wii, I guess) could be used interchangeably.

alr1ghtstart said:
I was thinking that we should make these with no system logos at all. If someone wants the minimal header or normal bar header, they could just paste it over the top of image.
I left mine in .psd in case anyone wants to tweak it to their liking. It would be nice if others did the same, since my preference for a lack of title on the front cover seems to be a minority opinion.

RedSwirl said:
I'd actually kinda rather we NOT put out a PS2 template. Up until now we've kept this shit current gen but I don't wanna open the floodgates.
I'm afraid the floodgates are already open, considering DS is getting done (while current gen is 3DS).

BrodiemanTTR said:
I left mine in .psd in case anyone wants to tweak it to their liking. It would be nice if others did the same, since my preference for a lack of title on the front cover seems to be a minority opinion.
Probably the smart thing to do. That way everyone can tweak it and have their preference. Only problem is that not everyone has photoshop.

KingK

Love this thread and I'm definitely going to be replacing my covers with these (at least my PS3 covers to start with) in the near future.
My PS3 games that don't have minimalist covers in here yet:

Resident Evil 5
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Fallout 3
Dead Space 1

It would be great if some people could do these. No rush or anything.

Hello, fellow box art enthusiasts!

While I was please with Skyward Sword's official box art, I wanted to try my hand at my own.

Here is what I have so far:

Edit: Newer versions later in topic.

These are still a work in progress, so I'll post the high res version when I am finished. I just wanted to get this out here and see if I could get some suggestions or feedback.

Oh, and also, does anybody have the Wii box template?

mgviperman said:
Probably the smart thing to do. That way everyone can tweak it and have their preference. Only problem is that not everyone has photoshop.

The Gimp will edit PSD fine, you just can't run the CS5 action script to make the nice 3D previews. :)

Nice AC2 cover, RedSwirl.

Girsej

Thanks Brodieman!!!

I must say that you and the other guys in this thread are really showing the industry how covers should be done!

Massive appreciation to everyone, as soon as I have some of these babies printed I'll upload photos of them :D

KingK said:
Love this thread and I'm definitely going to be replacing my covers with these (at least my PS3 covers to start with) in the near future.
My PS3 games that don't have minimalist covers in here yet:

Resident Evil 5
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Fallout 3
Dead Space 1

It would be great if some people could do these. No rush or anything.

Dead Space 1 was made and it is fantastic. Check my master list in post #2. I haven't added it to the list in post #2 b/c I ran out of room.

Top Bottom