• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slowly but surely, I am being converted to Apple...

bionic77

I always had the opposite experience on Android versus Apple when it comes to how responsive the touchscreen is.

The Samsung phones I have used are like 98% there (at least as of the S7) but it is still not as smooth as on iPhone. The difference is very apparent on less expensive android phones. But you would not really notice unless you were used to using iPhones.

Renekton

the third party OEMs can offer discount solutions that may be better at cutting corners the consumer isn't concerned with.
Apple has massive margins per product sold, so any price saving from OEMs doesn't necessarily come from corner cutting value reduction as you imply

I guess now become an Apple Sheep...(sigh).

Don’t worry, you’re not part of the cult until you find yourself blindly proselytizing overpriced Apple products after years of being objectionably worse than the competition. I’m looking at you 1997 biggersmaller.

Right now it’s really just a matter of preference and what you personally find important in a phone. You really can’t go wrong with either platform.

I'm the opposite. They lost me on every single product but their macbook.

But that's very much a huge problem : I love their MBP and OSX but their macs, years after years, keep removing ports, features and jacking up the prices forcing shit I don't need...

I'm seriously eyeing a third party laptop after 10 years of macbooks...

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Apple ecosystem is the GOAT

n051de

OP I wouldn't say you are becoming a sheep. Maybe you like new devices and the fresh OS is interesting. I actually have a phone using android and IOS for that reason.

eizarus

Banned
I think it happens when you get tired of one and the alternatives become more appealing. Same happened with me moving from iOS to android with the Nexus 5 a few years back. Did the same this year with my Macbook Pro > Surface Pro 2017.
was worried about that one because apparently Microsoft suck at quality control, but mine turned out perfect

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm not necessarily opposed to Apple. But their hardware is just too expensive for my liking.

Same, plus their repair price is also grossly expensive and I am not a fan of how Apple wall their system and prefer the openness of android as I transfer files from my phone to my PC.

Plus as far I am aware you can't use Micro SD card on iPhone so you're just stuck with the phone memory.

Harmen

There's pros and cons to both, I switch back and forth, but the Apple Watch is making me stick to iOS for the foreseeable future, as much as I enjoyed my LG G Watch R and later the Huawei Watch, Android Wear can't hold a candle to the Apple Watch right now.

Bit puzzled by your complaints about the touchscreen though, I have always found iOS to be infinitely more usable as a touch screen. I mistap a lot more on Android, and find it way harder to properly click a link on a zoomed out webpage. iOS seems way more responsive and accurate in detecting what it is I want to do.

As someone who has switched twice now, do you plan on keeping doing this? My reason I (likely) won't go back to Apple is because I frequently buy apps and for those to work I need to stay in their ecosystem, meaning I have to deal with wathever choice they make (no fingerprint in the future, no jack, who knows what else they come up with in the future). With Android I can use my apps over many different brands, giving me a large choice between different devices. If I want microSD, I can choose a device that has that, for example.

reKon

Banned
The only Apple product blowing away everything else for the type of product it is..

Is the iPad 10.5...

Unless you’ve handicapped yourself by buying the absolute smallest memory option (which are generally only useful to businesses who lock usage), then even half-decent cloud management makes this irrelevant.

Why do you need access to files over and above what the respective apps provide? I only found this to be an issue at the beginning when my own misconceptions about how data is managed were the problem.
It's generally more useful that I have more control of my phone's files directly. Sometimes to clean up space and sometimes to access stuff.

I also need the storage unit on my phone to store music and my photos. I can't deal with such a limited storage

Yea. But problem is once you're in it's so hard to leave.

I have an iphone, airpods, ipad, apple watch, apple tv, macbook.

It's time for a new laptop and I'm struggling like shit to justify another macbook even though my 2012 mbp was the best computer I ever owned.

Tempted to go back to windows but macbooks are so damn good. And I don't want to have to toggle windows settings again to get shit working just right. Or run antivirus every week. Or defrag or any of that shit I remember doing on windows 7. And then there's the hardware quality and battery life. Ugh. Hard to leave the cult....but I'm gonna try at least for my laptop.

Is it 2011?

This. These aren't valid issues anymore. I haven't had to plug my iPhone into a computer once for anything. Built in storage is the norm now. What's next? Lack of flash on the browser?

Every time these threads come up there is always so many classic tropes, like needing iTunes or how Android is for power users.

At this point Android and iOS are so close to each other those things are no longer relevant, and really havent' been for like 2 or 3 years. Even more so with each company moving so much of their platform into SaaS models the reason you'd buy a Pixel over an iPhone are very much different from the phone wars.

For me personally the biggest problem with Apple is that they're a walled garden which is both great and terrible. Also, while this argument can be made of almost all Apple products their computers in particular are grossly overpriced. I would love to own a Mac or Macbook of some kind just purely to spend more time with that OS and style of computer but I feel like anytime I think about picking up a Mac or Macbook I can always very easily find a PC of some sort with equivalent or better specs for at least $1,000 less than a Mac/Macbook.

This trope is a bad hot take at this point. There is a lot more to buying an Apple product than raw specs. Additionally the reason Apple doesn't need to put top end hardware every year is precisely because they control the entire flow. By doing this it lets them optimize to the hardware which is why you can find similarly spec'd PCs for less.

With Android I can use my apps over many different brands, giving me a large choice between different devices. If I want microSD, I can choose a device that has that, for example.

For better or worse these things are going away on premiere android brands too.

It's a good user and ownership experience, folks.

There's a reason why they rate highest in customer satisfaction. Shit generally works well, predictably and fairly easily.

tokkun

Every time these threads come up there is always so many classic tropes, like needing iTunes or how Android is for power users.

At this point Android and iOS are so close to each other those things are no longer relevant, and really havent' been for like 2 or 3 years. Even more so with each company moving so much of their platform into SaaS models the reason you'd buy a Pixel over an iPhone are very much different from the phone wars.

Last time I tried iOS, I was still thwarted by lack of power user features, such filesystem browsing and the ability to set default apps for a lot of core features. Has this changed in the last 2-3 years?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Best Apple product in a while. I can’t live without my Airpods.

yeah.. AirPods leave me with not caring less about headphone jacks. My Switch is the only device with a headphone jack left that I use regularly, and I just stash away a pair of earbuds in the case with it. I see people with wired earbuds and it's horrific. Never again.

paskowitz

Apple makes great laptops and a great tablet. iPhone finally has a good OS to go with iMessage and that battery life but IMO, otherwise it's still behind Android. Android is arguably still more feature rich and had more better hardware options.

Dougald

Their stuff lasts, I'll give it that. Had my MBP 3 years and my 6s for two, both probably halfway through their lifespan. Compare that to my last laptop and two Android phones which were almost in pieces at the same time in their lifecycles

What you sacrifice is not being on the bleeding edge, and having to fully immerse yourself in the Apple ecosystem to get the most out of it. That said if Apple don't sort out their MacBook Pro line I'll switch back to a PC and install Linux when this laptop hits end of life, which also means I'll lose the main reason I have an iPhone (continuity)

Last time I tried iOS, I was still thwarted by lack of power user features, such filesystem browsing and the ability to set default apps for a lot of core features. Has this changed in the last 2-3 years?

Nope, not really. If you want to customize your OS, a stock iPhone is still not for you. There is at least a central "files" app now, but its quite abstract

They make good products.

People totally misread AirPods completely. I see those things everywhere now.

It helps that, as far as I know, they’re the only non-noise cancelling wireless earbuds available. I have the Beats X and I like them, but they’re annoying in situations like while I’m at work or running or walking my dog because they cancel noise.

VeeP

I used to be a fanboy for android. Always picking on Apple fans and running around with the latest android phone. Its August 2017, and now my company switches over to iPhone. I get the iPhone 7 and then tried to figure out how to use this phone. At first, I had complaints about this phone:

- Touch screen not as responsive as an android phone.
- Voice dictation sucks on the phone.
- there is no back button on the bottom of the screen.

It’s October 2017, and now I have the Apple Watch 3 and thinking about buying generation 2 Apple air buds in 2018. I still have some complaints about the issues on above, but at least I love the rest the phone. I guess now become an Apple Sheep...(sigh).

I don’t understand people like you. Picking on Apple fans, android fanboy, Apple sheep. Dude, just enjoy whatever phone and platform you want, and don’t be so attached so in the future you can switch if one platform makes a like.

Emarv

This has totally taken me by surprise. Way more popular than I thought. Still kinda ugly, though.

Apple ecosystem is great. Even though I'd love to switch to Google products, the sync between my iPhone, iPad, Macbook and AppleTV is just too strong.

Yea, my 2012 mbp is still trucking along. Battery is shot. But it's still good for work and browsing.

They replaced my battery for free last year (or maybe it was the year before).

I upgraded the internals to a 640GB SSD + 1TB HDD + 16GB ram.

I have no complaints about the speed or performance or storage capacity. Part of the reason I haven't moved onto a newer one (outside of not feeling like I need more performance at this time) is the loss of internal storage options. I'll pass on having less storage space than I have today. If I didn't have my desktop PC for hard core work and gaming, I'd probably have upgraded and dealt with it.

gogojira

Apple ecosystem is great. Even though I'd love to switch to Google products, the sync between my iPhone, iPad, Macbook and AppleTV is just too strong.

This is it for me. I try not to get too invested in a single ecosystem but it happened, aside from my Windows 10 machine at home (for gaming, of course). The compatible across my main laptop, watch, airpods, phones, etc., is just too strong. I'm also not going to fuck with shitty update support of Android phones, so if I did go with one, it'd be one with stock Android.

Lombax

Banned
I have been using the MacBook Pro + Android phone combo for a long time with little to complain about.

I have however recently become more and more frustrated with OS X. I am considering running linux on my work laptop for a year to see what that is like.

SeanC

I've gone 100% to Apple at this point. Have my issues, but less so when dealing with Windows and Android. I still have my Windows laptop, though, but getting a new Macbook after the new year and after that my transformation will be complete.

That being said, not a fan of the latest iOS. I'm still rocking a 6+ and if there's any gripe I have with Apple it's that older models, perfectly capable and look and feel find, can start having issues the more and more they update the iOS.

I was the same. Complete android fanboy until the last couple of years. Bought a Macbook because it suited my needs and had my favourite keyboard of the lot. iPhone followed soon after. Realised I don't use or need the granularity of Android and it's customisation. Usually spent the first while with a new Android phone messing about with that stuff and forgetting about it. iPhone was a complete change and I love it now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Or, don’t get married to a brand and just buy nice things you can afford. Like console wars on the other side.
this is probably one of the better ways to put it in all honesty. I would never get married to a certain brand and while I do prefer Android right now I am very open to iOS and Apple products. The fact is I can get a very competent Android phone if I wanted to for a relatively good price versus the premium. At the same time I do like the cohesiveness and progress the Android operating system has made especially since lollipop.

I'm not so invested in the ways that I used to be. It is quite the rabbit hole to get yourself in too much like console Wars as was noted in the quoted post.

much like me being a fan of a certain graphics card manufacturer or shoes. Until I find a reason to deviate I'm going to likely keep what works but I'm going to still keep my eyes open for something that's just as practical and feels right. And it's okay to have that preference but the appreciation and Enlightenment on the new Apple Discovery the TC has made is commanded.

Vuze

yeah.. AirPods leave me with not caring less about headphone jacks. My Switch is the only device with a headphone jack left that I use regularly, and I just stash away a pair of earbuds in the case with it. I see people with wired earbuds and it's horrific. Never again.
Yeah, AirPods are the only Apple product I’d buy on a yearly basis tbh. Not too expensive, work great, enhance experience on all other devices. Wonder if they got new ones planned for 2018.

Also yup, went full in within the last year. From iPhone to AirPods, Watch, ipad, MacBook and Apple TV. The whole synergy and ecosystem is just fantastic once you dip your feet in. Here’s to hope there’ll be a Mac Mini 2018 to replace my stationary PC for work and I can make it a full on gaming-machine.

I am an Apple guy by choice. I much prefer macOS over Windows but I do feel Windows does some things better (I think Windows Explorer destroys Finder). iOS and Android are pretty comparable, actually. I like the seamless integration between my phone and computer and even my watch.

It's all about preference. People undervalue the price of user experience. A MacBook is easier to use for me than a Windows machine. Sure, my 15 inch MP was expensive but price difference from a PC to a MAC with the same specs is worth it because I am using software that I am comfortable with.

Default apps, no, but you can delete them now

As for the file system, while you can't browse files like you would with some Android apps you can still manage. Music, iTunes app. Photos app for pictures & video, all stuff stored in iCloud can be access via Files.

The same can be said for Android as well with Google Music, Photos & Drive.

muu

I got the airpods for use at work. They are basically more useful versions of a good plantronic headset, at around the same price.

What I really want now is a separate W1 enabled dongle for my custom IEMs. Airpods are convenient but they don't come close to the quality I've gotten accustomed to. Would be really cool if they eventually add a W1 chip to the airpod case itself and add a headphone jack to it, though I don't expect anything specifically beneficial for my use to come any time soon.

Kurdel

Banned

Yeah, I was skeptical but it is by far my best purchase in years. The idea of recharging blutooth headphones is absolutely alien to me now, the charging case is amazing.

Henrar

Count another one that switched from Google services to Apple ecosystem.

I still use Windows 10 for my gaming/workstation PC as i like Visual Studio.

I think the bigger story here is that all phones are basically the same. Save for the customization on the home screen and the lack of a back button, an iPhone and any Android phone is largely indistinguishable on a day-to-day basis.

This trope is a bad hot take at this point. There is a lot more to buying an Apple product than raw specs. Additionally the reason Apple doesn't need to put top end hardware every year is precisely because they control the entire flow. By doing this it lets them optimize to the hardware which is why you can find similarly spec'd PCs for less.

Sorry if my post came off as trolling as that wasn't my intention as I was just making a comment based on my observations over the past 10 or so years. I am not an expert on all things Apple but I love the iPhone. From my observations Apple's computers are noticeably more expensive than their equivalents and as someone that's not entrenched in all things Apple it was never completely obvious to me why their computers are more expensive (especially as someone who has never had any major issues with the PCs I've purchased over the years). Having said that, the pros and cons of PC vs Mac being pretty similar to the pros and cons of Android vs iPhone has become more and more apparent to me as time has gone on.

More directly related to the topic at hand, years ago I dropped my Droid the moment the iPhone 4 came to Verizon and never looked back. As someone who loves the iPhone I would love to get more Apple products in general (the only other Apple product I've purchased is a Apple TV) but the cost of their products (whether the cost is justified or not) is always what pushes me away.

You’ll be back. You’ll miss the thrill of wondering when/if updates are coming to your phone.

I kid, but I made the switch years ago and now I’m too balls-deep to leave (other than my Windows laptop—though after my experience with Windows 10 and my wife’s MacBook, my next laptop will be a MacBook).

It’s just a shame Apple’s phone hardware group has fallen so far behind Samsung at this point. Not internally, but in the case. Sorry, but the iPhone X looks like fucking shit next to the Galaxy S8 (at least in pictures. Maybe in person it’ll be different).

Hows that ios11 working out for you Mammoth?

200_s.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I never thought it would happen to me, but it has.

While I'm sat here doing a Fall Creators Update on a work Windows 10 laptop which has taken 12 hours over two days and only got to 64%

I never thought it would happen to me, but it has.

While I'm sat here doing a Fall Creators Update on a work Windows 10 laptop which has taken 12 hours over two days and only got to 64%

Holy shit don’t even get me started on the Creator update. Fucking computer has been updating non-stop since Tuesday afternoon. And I never even told it to start updating.

Top Bottom