• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Has anybody looked at their GameStop preorder recently? I made mine in store. Just decided to look on the app and under pre orders it says "available sku" and it costs $999 and releases on 12/31. It was normal yesterday. Uhhh

How the hell do people end up with multiple? Bots I'm assuming? I had it in my cart from 3 different places. Wal-Mart was literally the second it went live. Received errors during checkout at every store.

No bots used here. I only order from Amazon and I happened to be awake and checking GAF when Amazon UK and US had them up, and both times they lasted for a good 20 minutes or so, and in the case with Amazon.com they didn't have a limit on how many you can order so I put 3 in.

I was also online when Walmart, BB, GameStop and Target had their's up, but I didn't even bother trying.

How the hell do people end up with multiple? Bots I'm assuming? I had it in my cart from 3 different places. Wal-Mart was literally the second it went live. Received errors during checkout at every store. Will have to wait in line at a toys r us or something. No way I'm giving a dime to a scalper. To think they are now selling for 300 bucks is crazy. Obviously people pay it.

As for people wondering why stock is so low, it's Nintendo. They love the attention and the culture surrounding their products. Which is too bad. What I have to go through to get one for my son is disgusting. I know others in the same boat. People brag about having a bunch and most can't even get one.

Not bots, just happened to be up at 1:30 when BB went up and then took a chance while the site was down to do a quick run to GS.

shockdude

Damn - the SNES Classic drops frames!

See this Wii U-emulation comparison for yourself (watch in 720p60): Super NES Classic vs Wii U Virtual Console - Head-to-Head Emulation Comparison

Super smooth on Wii U. Not so much on the SNES Classic. :|
Even Super Mario World (the least demanding game) doesn't scroll smoothly.
Fyi this is only noticeable in the 60FPS video. Though in the 30FPS video, the visible shadow in Mario Kart on the classic vs the invisible shadow on Wii U is pretty blatant evidence of bad 60FPS framepacing.
I'm hoping this was a recording issue and not an issue with the real hardware.

DJChuy

What time does Walmart normally sell their stock in store? There's a Wal-mart 5 minutes away from my house, but I don't want to miss work.

Has anybody looked at their GameStop preorder recently? I made mine in store. Just decided to look on the app and under pre orders it says "available sku" and it costs $999 and releases on 12/31. It was normal yesterday. Uhhh

Mine is the same. I imagine with the site being bombarded they moved skus around and added that amount to an anonymous sku so that no more pre orders get mistakenly placed in store or online...I think at least.

Afrocious

No bots here either. I got lucky with BB by needing to get up in the middle of the night and just happening to check my phone for the alert on top of the stock being available for 20 minutes. I got 5 orders in but two got cancelled so far while 3 got confirmation emails.

Got two more yesterday from Target in that clicking fiasco. I literally got off the train during my commute and figure I'd try my luck again on my phone. I managed to get one in my cart even after having to confirm my password on top of needing to open my lastpass app to grab it. That order somehow got through. There was a reorder button at the end. I clicked it, and that netted me my second Target order in only a second or two.

gogojira

So, US buyers who locked in one from amazon.uk are still in be clear to get there SNES? Mine has a ship date. I wasn't about to get a US one and I'm terrified my UK one is going to get canceled.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If any kind Gaffer that made an order of multitude more than they need is willing to sell 1, 2, or 3 to me. It would be appreciated.

Yeah same, if I had to guess its because while stores were 'allotted' a certain number yesterday there is nothing in the system that would actively prevent the stores from actually reserving more then that even if it was by accident so they likely changed it back to Available SKU (which is what it was beforehand) and closed off reserves. They likely didn't even mean to change it back to Available SKU but either way I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Hyperbole? I can barely see a noticeable difference.
2D graphics without silky smooth scrolling is unacceptable in my opinion. All of these ran at perfect 60fps 25 years ago.

I'm hoping this was a recording issue and not an issue with the real hardware.
I hope so, too. But the SNES Classic footage running slightly smoother at 720p60 than at 480p30 makes me doubt that it's a recording issue.

Paskil

So, US buyers who locked in one from amazon.uk are still in be clear to get there SNES? Mine has a ship date. I wasn't about to get a US one and I'm terrified my UK one is going to get canceled.

Mine says arriving 5 Oct -10 Oct.

2D graphics without silky smooth scrolling is unacceptable in my opinion. All of these ran at perfect 60fps 25 years ago.

Not sure if serious post, but I just did a 100% complete play through of Super Mario World recently and there is all kinds of slowdown throughout the game. I'm not even sensitive to framerate, but this stuff is so egregious, it really stands out. The perfect place to see it is in Forest of Illusion #1 where you can get a ridiculous number of 1-ups with the star from the box.

cordy

Banned
How the hell do people end up with multiple? Bots I'm assuming? I had it in my cart from 3 different places. Wal-Mart was literally the second it went live. Received errors during checkout at every store. Will have to wait in line at a toys r us or something. No way I'm giving a dime to a scalper. To think they are now selling for 300 bucks is crazy. Obviously people pay it.

As for people wondering why stock is so low, it's Nintendo. They love the attention and the culture surrounding their products. Which is too bad. What I have to go through to get one for my son is disgusting. I know others in the same boat. People brag about having a bunch and most can't even get one.
No bots used here. I only order from Amazon and I happened to be awake and checking GAF when Amazon UK and US had them up, and both times they lasted for a good 20 minutes or so, and in the case with Amazon.com they didn't have a limit on how many you can order so I put 3 in.

I was also online when Walmart, BB, GameStop and Target had their's up, but I didn't even bother trying.

This.

I was up at 4AM when the Amazon link came up, we didn't even know it was real but preordered because "why not" and come to find out it's the real link, there wasn't even a picture nor the correct title. I preordered 2 and then slept for 4hrs before work. I then wake up and I check here and find out the link was real so overall it was just luck.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
After getting the rug pulled out from under me on Walmart's website at noon and Target's shortly there after, I was able to get five orders processed from Target at the 4:39 CST wave they released.
This seems unbelievable to me. How could you get 5 individual orders when the site was getting hammered?

Crazy luck?

jackuiowa

What is GameStop's holding policy on pre orders? I don't want to show up and have it handed to another person. Not even sure they will have extras day one.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What is GameStop's holding policy on pre orders? I don't want to show up and have it handed to another person. Not even sure they will have extras day one.

they do have extras on Day 1 according to twitter.

but you usually have 24 or 48 hours. I wouldn't dawdle on it

Ovid

They still hasn't been cancelled it yet.

The page clearly said that it wasn't for U.S. buyers so I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled it a few days before the ship date.

BiggNife

Is B&H still our only pre-order hope? Or did that go up yesterday as well?

I don't think B&H went up yet but I can tell you they will sell out in two seconds. There's no way they got more stock than WalMart or Target.

Also I think BB/Amazon's sales were probably mostly sold to real people since they went up in the middle of the night, but I'm almost certain most of the WM/Target allotments were sold to people using the Tai Ding bot. They just sold out almost impossibly quickly.

maxcriden

What time does Walmart normally sell their stock in store? There's a Wal-mart 5 minutes away from my house, but I don't want to miss work.

In my experience with NES classic, it will depend on the store. If it's 24 hours they may sell at midnight or the next morning. If it's not they may sell at opening the next morning if you bug them. You'll want to bug multiple stores a lot in advance to try to get any answer.

They still hasn't been cancelled it although I'm expecting it since the page clearly said that it wasn't for U.S. buyers.

I had the same concern but another poster gave me some hope:

people expecting amazon uk orders to get cancelled despite the fact that the same "can't be shipped to US" message shows up when buying amiibos directly from amazon for years?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DLDXG7/

Well.. this wasn't the exact post, I don't think. But it had the same idea. Basically that other Amazon pages have said this and they've gotten their orders.

jackuiowa

they do have extras on Day 1 according to twitter.

but you usually have 24 or 48 hours. I wouldn't dawdle on it

Oh I wasn't going to dawdle just wanted to make sure if I show up at noon that day and the mall GameStop opens at 10 am it wont be handed to someone else. I'll aim to be there when the store opens to make sure I get it.

Not sure if serious post, but I just did a 100% complete play through of Super Mario World recently and there is all kinds of slowdown throughout the game. I'm not even sensitive to framerate, but this stuff is so egregious, it really stands out. The perfect place to see it is in Forest of Illusion #1 where you can get a ridiculous number of 1-ups with the star from the box.
Okay, it's been a while since I last played SMW.

But having constant imperfect scrolling at all times is much worse than that.

BiggNife

They still hasn't been cancelled it yet.

The page clearly said that it wasn't for U.S. buyers so I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled it a few days before the ship date.

I really think that if Amazon UK was going to cancel US orders they would have done so by now.

If my order gets canceled I'm going to be so pissed. I wasn't able to get a US one so it's the only chance I have.

Recall

There are so many posts in here with "I got 3" "I got 5". Like are those who are buying multiple gifting them, keeping them or just flipping them?

Ovid

I really think that if Amazon UK was going to cancel US orders they would have done so by now.

If my order gets canceled I'm going to be so pissed. I wasn't able to get a US one so it's the only chance I have.

Mad at Amazon UK?

In my experience with NES classic, it will depend on the store. If it's 24 hours they may sell at midnight or the next morning. If it's not they may sell at opening the next morning if you bug them. You'll want to bug multiple stores a lot in advance to try to get any answer.

I had the same concern but another poster gave me some hope:

Well.. this wasn't the exact post, I don't think. But it had the same idea. Basically that other Amazon pages have said this and they've gotten their orders.
If that's the case, then there's a chance.

Afrocious

There are so many posts in here with "I got 3" "I got 5". Like are those who are buying multiple gifting them, keeping them or just flipping them?

Mix of both gifting and flipping from what I see. I think I'm one of the few who has openly said he is going to flip.

I would like to surprise some friends though with one.

AkumaNiko

When i ordered there was no "no us shipping" on the Page. I talked to a rep at Amazon UK and said my order is fine as it stands

Spacebar

People are getting multiple because they can get cancelled so easy. Better to have a few pre orders on lock then have one and get it cancelled.

Moofers

I managed to get an NES Classic last year from Best Buy like a month after they came out, so those of you who didn't get a pre-order yet, don't lose hope.

I managed to get to a Gamestop right by my work yesterday morning and secured a pre-order for the SNES Classic after failing to get one from any of the online stores. I was trying for like 20-30 mins before word came down that the Gamestop pre-orders were in-store as well. I was lucky to get over there quickly.

If you're still trying to get one, I advise you to remain optimistic and try lining up at a store like Fred Meyer or something on the day of release. There will definitely be some retailers with units who didn't do pre-orders.

gweemz

Managed to get one at Walmart and three at Target. One is going to my brother, and if I actually get all 4, the other two will be sold to friends.

Backlogger

I have 1 on pre-order with Target but this whole process has me so paranoid I am willing to try to get at least 1 other on pre-order if I can just to be safe. If I got a 2nd one I'd be willing to sell it at cost to someone else or a friend. Its not about scalping for me, its about making sure I get one.

This is all Nintendo's fault by the way.

I at the moment have three preordered. (We'll see what these retailers have to say about that in time.)

One for me, one for each of my brothers.

I'm connected to the preorder announcements like they aren't. No freakin' way is there time to contact them when a store preorder goes live so they asked me to get them one.

I think the majority of people on here admitting to getting multiples are getting them for family, friends, gifts.

I have 1 on pre-order with Target but this whole process has me so paranoid I am willing to try to get at least 1 other on pre-order if I can just to be safe. If I got a 2nd one I'd be willing to sell it at cost to someone else or a friend. Its not about scalping for me, its about making sure I get one.

This is all Nintendo's fault by the way.

When you factor in contingency orders, this item being hard to get is in turn making it even harder to get.

I got 6 total, and I am keeping one and selling the rest at cost to 5 friends who were on a chat chain with me about this whole thing, but who are all parents and weren't up when Amazon put things up.

That's assuming Amazon doesn't cancel my other 5.

AkumaNiko

HA, i just got off chat with amazon UK again to double check and make sure it was clear that i was getting my order, and they said yes and gave me a faster delivery speed free of charge

UeZxK4hl.png

I still don't understand why people voluntarily give Gamestop interest-free loans.

People think paying in full ensures they are guaranteed to get the product. In reality Gamestop would just refund the full amount if for some reason they can't sell it to that person.

Having worked at Gamestop (years ago but still...), I know from experience that if a shipment doesn't have enough units to cover preorders, DMs and SMs will often allocate first to people who have paid preorders off in full, and then go by who pre ordered first.

Worst case scenario, I get my credit card gets refunded back and I have to settle with a Raspberry Pi.

Afrocious

I guess my endgame here is to make at least a grand off of these things, keep one for myself, and sell the rest at cost to friends.

My major hangup is that I don't know how much these will go for individually. I don't feel right using the NES Classic as an accurate barometer.

Top Bottom