• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World - Gamescom Impressions

Sayad

Not for the MH team. This is their first time porting to PC.
Doesn't really matter, Capcom have devs who worked on MTFramework ports and did a great job, there's no reason for whoever doing MHW's port to not have access to those devs.

I'd be more worried about Capcom's ability to prevent cheats on PC than I am about the quality of the port.

I want some gunlance play dammit!!! I finally get some and it's nothing. NOTHING!!! Can I vent? Can I?
The stream had a ton of Gunlance in it D: just also had them showing a lot of features (not all of the features were shown on purpose). Gotta say I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't SEEM to be any big Gunlance changes. Waiting on the Arekks video to see if they've added stuff that I didn't notice. Seems like there was something similar to the heat gauge returning but I couldn't tell if it worked the same.

Loudninja

PS blog

In true Monster Hunter fashion, all of these weapons can be upgraded by hunting bigger and more challenging monsters as you progress through the world. The real joy of Monster Hunter: World comes from its larger-than-life battle sequences and finding ways to use the environment to your advantage. I was doing my best stab-a-lot-and-roll strategy before remembering that I could lead the Great Jagras I was fighting into a tree, which would eventually fall over and reveal ensnaring vines to tangle it up. Used strategically, these elements make the battles feel very fluid, and as monsters try to run away, or eat smaller creatures to gain back health, you truly get a sense for how open and alive the map is.
This feels most rewarding during multiplayer hunts, which you can organize before embarking, or by firing a signal flare during single-player mode. This feature is new to the world of Monster Hunter, and allows for a seamless connection throughout the entire game rather than separating out quests based on a single-player or co-op storyline. Multiplayer makes the hunt a group effort, with every player actively searching for clues to find your prey. Some of my most exciting moments were watching a teammate leap onto the back of a Anjanath while I snuck underneath for a shot, or working together to cause a rock ceiling to cave in and crush our target.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/22/monster-hunter-world-welcomes-you-with-open-arms/

Kinsei

Banned
Here's the mud fish's name, told y'all it wasn't Lavasioth.

unknown.png

So It really isn't a Lavasioth sub. That is easily tied with the dromes as the laziest monster design in the series.

wwm0nkey

Seemingly not the same FY, and I expect MHW to launch sooner than later in 2018's tail end of FY2017 for Capcom to try and meet some sort of sales expectations.

So I'd sooner say 3 months, than 3 weeks.

I still say 3 weeks, but I wouldn't be too upset at 3 months, would get me to double dip.

One thing of note I noticed on the IGN stream, there's definitely no separate blademaster and gunner armour, like some people were hypothesising. The guy switches from Gunlance to Heavy Bow Gun and his armour stays equipped.

Kinsei

Banned
One thing of note I noticed on the IGN stream, there's definitely no separate blademaster and gunner armour, like some people were hypothesising. The guy switches from Gunlance to Heavy Bow Gun and his armour stays equipped.

So guns got rid of their one downside. That sucks.

Watched the first IGN video

Am I missing something or did the post-kill timer run out before he'd finished carving, even though he was right on top of the monster when it died?

Ridley327

I imagine that a major reason for nuking the harder division between Blademaster/Gunner armors is because it's a hell of a lot less work when you only need to create assets for two sets of armor, rather than four. I do think that mechanically speaking, it's a smart change since it's a very newcomer-focused improvement to not overwhelm them with a decision that early on in the game and it makes the weapons feel more weighted in terms of benefits and downsides.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I imagine that a major reason for nuking the harder division between Blademaster/Gunner armors is because it's a hell of a lot less work when you only need to create assets for two sets of armor, rather than four. I do think that mechanically speaking, it's a smart change since it's a very newcomer-focused improvement to not overwhelm them with a decision that early on in the game and it makes the weapons feel more weighted in terms of benefits and downsides.

Pretty much what I thought, it eases on the art side.

Ridley327

Pretty much what I thought, it eases on the art side.

I'm still amazed that there are as many unique sets as there are in the older games. That could not have been easy on the art teams, even with the lower fidelity.

That being said, some of those Gunner armors looked better than their Blademaster equivalent, so I hope they do find a happy medium.

I'm still amazed that there are as many unique sets as there are in the older games. That could not have been easy on the art teams, even with the lower fidelity.

That being said, some of those Gunner armors looked better than their Blademaster equivalent, so I hope they do find a happy medium.

The armors look fantastic!

Fashion Hunter has gotten an upgrade!

Anura

Considering the mid hunt weapon switch I guess it makes sense. Unless you can also mid hunt armor switch... As long as there are still gunner/blade master exclusive skills I'm ok.

Defuser

Yeah I don't have a PC that would run this and no money to invest in a new console. Just have a Switch at the moment. My love for Monster Hunter is almost enough to get my to irresponsibly buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

You're underestimating the MT Framework engine which is a last gen engine. That engine is goddamn versatile,it run on alot of computers of various types. If you can run DMC4SE or Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen then there is a good chance you can run MH:W.

Kinsei

Banned
There is. They moved the defense differences to the weapons themselves. Blademaster weapons get reduced phys damage taken and gunner weapons get reduced elemental damage taken.

no they just set it up to the weapon type bonus instead

so armors are free but youll still take more melee damage as a gunner and less element

and vice versa for blademaster just like before

Oh cool. That certainly makes swapping between blademaster and gunner weapons less of a hassle.

MH games will never be as hard as MHFU again though, and it's mostly for good reasons.

I'm midway through my first playthrough of MHFU, and holy shit it's janky.

Forget the usual "Plesioth hip-check hitbox is shit"stuff, I've had monsters retreat into the water/sky/underground for minutes at a time and constantly retreat from one area to another. Even the hit detection for my own attacks is a bit off, my hammer's charged slam regularly passes through the heads of monsters without doing any damage (yet the initial strike always hits, so clearly I shouldn't be missing).

Everything pre-Tri is a chore to go back to, and even the third generation games are messy and clunky. If you're excited for MHW, playing 4U or Generations (or importing XX) is the only path forward that won't sour you on the series prematurely.

Beats

Charms are back in? Nooooooooooooooooo!

Well, if they make it so that they aren't super luck based to get a good one or require absurd amounts of farming then I'm fine with charms being in since that's really the only part I didn't like about them.

Top Bottom