• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

Almighty

-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
"If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organization in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are working with the Reapers"

I don't like the sound of this one bit not one bit. Cerberus working with the Reapers is probably one of the worse possible directions Bioware could of gone with them.

Almighty said:
I don't like the sound of this one bit not one bit. Cerberus working with the Reapers is probably one of the worse possible directions Bioware could of gone with them.

They're just trying to further the advance of the human race by killing them all. What's the problem?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The entire point of Cerberus is that they rarely work with aliens, and more often than not, refuse to outright. It's entirely shitty that they're now working with the one, actually dangerous alien race out there.

...oh, wait. Everybody bad is just indoctrinated, right? Blech.

plc268

Kyaw said:
WTF Cerberus working with Reapers....

Fuck you Bioware. And stop spoiling so much of your game. :(
Keep these reveals more or less to gameplay elements, locations or squad mates.

Yea, this really bothers me. The fact that I knew that Shepard was dead and revived and that their mission was a "suicide" mission really spoiled the game for me. I'm not overly sensitive about spoilers, but Bioware should be a lot more careful with the facts that they release.

WanderingWind

plc268 said:
Yea, this really bothers me. The fact that I knew that Shepard was dead and revived and that their mission was a "suicide" mission really spoiled the game for me. I'm not overly sensitive about spoilers, but Bioware should be a lot more careful with the facts that they release.

Eh, who cares about the story? Mass Effect is really about the shootin' and the space ninjas and the alien sex and did you see the new guns?

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Kinyou said:
2s9bq5i.jpg

Pretty much. Although I kind of wonder if we're just being trolled by Bioware. Again. Remember the Shepard is dead "spoiler" that was announced like a year before ME2 came out? This cop out type of storyline, feels oddly similar.

Almighty

Ickman3400 said:
They're just trying to further the advance of the human race by killing them all. What's the problem?

No problem. Some could argue that being mindless slaves of an advance alien race and having god knows what done to their genetic structure and whatnot would be an improvement for the human race overall.

plc268

WanderingWind said:
Eh, who cares about the story? Mass Effect is really about the shootin' and the space ninjas and the alien sex and did you see the new guns?

Haha, that's what they should be talking about... the mechanics, gunplay, dialog choices, characters, etc. NOT story.

Like I said, Shepards death at the beginning of ME2 should've been an "Oh, shit" moment, but instead it was diluted because anyone who followed the tiniest bit of ME2 news knew exactly what was going to happen.

plc268 said:
Like I said, Shepards death at the beginning of ME2 should've been an "Oh, shit" moment, but instead it was diluted because anyone who followed the tiniest bit of ME2 news knew exactly what was going to happen.

The death would have been stupid even without it being spoiled.

WanderingWind

plc268 said:
Haha, that's what they should be talking about... the mechanics, gunplay, dialog choices, characters, etc. NOT story.

I agree. Their priorities are out of whack. Shepard dying should have been 100% classified. It sucked all the emotion out of the scene knowing that ahead of time.

Chinner

Banned
plc268 said:
Who cares? His death was utterly pointless anyway.

Dies > comes back to life > Forgets about dying. It's not like Bioware actually used his death to explore interesting themes such as what makes you alive and human. Then again, that would require competent writers.

Shepards death was not used to advance the story, it was just a water-cooler moment. They're doing the same thing with the Threser Maw pulling the Reaper underground. It's not like any of us should be surprised, Mass Effect 2 showed us what EA's true intentions for the series is.

Grisby

I'm excited. Sounds like the games going to be a fun time.

Unfortunately, I want to do a 4th ME complete run through because of all this info.

CrazyDude

I am still wondering why Bioware would tell us about Cerberus working for the Reapers to PC Gamer, while saying that they say they are keeping it a secret to everybody else. I am wondering if this is just speculation on the magazines part.

Kinyou

Chinner said:

Dies > comes back to life > Forgets about dying. It's not like Bioware actually used his death to explore interesting themes such as what makes you alive and human. Then again, that would require competent writers.
It would have been so simple, just have Shepard take mandatory psychiatrist sittings, to check how he copes with the loss of two years, the experiencing of dying (maybe no afterlife?), if he still is the same person as before or just a copy, etc. etc. ...
It would have added a lot to the darker tone and revealed some of Shepard inner life...

Hell, the shrink could have even been a possible romance option, wouldn't that have been great?

Almighty said:
No problem. Some could argue that being mindless slaves of an advance alien race and having god knows what done to their genetic structure and whatnot would be an improvement for the human race overall.

I was just being sarcastic, it's a completely fucking stupid plot point and makes 0 sense especially since it contradicts what happened in 2.

=HERO=

Neo Member
I think the only, ONLY, logical way that Cerberus allying with the Reapers would work is if there is some way that The Illusive Man is double crossing them, some way that would make it beneficial for humans to work with them.

King of the Potato People said:
Perhaps TIM considers the
human reaper
to be the next stage of evolution... please god no.

Like this...wait, no that's stupid.

and likely :(

rvy said:
Hah! You dumbasses!

Hey! If they let me choose who I wanted in the first game
I'm so sorry Tali!
and not make Ashley practically rape me just because, in the course of talking to everyone, including her and Liara, equally, the game randomly decided I "love" Ashley. That wouldn't be a problem!

Hopefully, the talk my Shepherd and Ashley had in ME2 going amicably will mean this decision "I" made won't "BITE ME IN THE ASS" so badly :/

Beth Cyra

Well for as many people who are happy there are no new romances I must say that this bothers me. Not going to try and say they are even written well or anything but they are one of the reasons I personally am willing to play the games despite not really liking 3rd person shooters.

However I decided when ME 2 ended if they didn't introduce a new bi option for both the male and female Shep I would just wait to get the game used or for it to drop to 20 dollars.

All this said I do like the combo Cryo shot to freeze multiple people.

RedSwirl

So the characters and dialogue will still be well-written right? Because that's the real reason I'm even in this shit.

brotkasten said:
Yeah, I was hoping for news about this. The reason to exclude 360 controller support in the pc version of ME was always stupid.

Not really. They just thought up a better UI for the PC version. Would you want to play Dragon Age on PC with a 360 controller?

RedSwirl said:
Not really. They just thought up a better UI for the PC version. Would you want to play Dragon Age on PC with a 360 controller?

ME is a console focused game though and it deserves to have the option to use a controller like most games. Using the keyboard and mouse for me2 was beyond uncomfortable.

Angry Fork

RedSwirl said:
Not really. They just thought up a better UI for the PC version.
They could've allowed the game to switch to console UI whenever a controller is detected. The PC UI isn't better when one wants to lay down and play. 3rd person games don't really lend their hand well to kb/mouse imo unless it has a very arcadey feel like Max Payne which works well with kb/mouse.

Alucrid

Banned
syoaran said:
I think it was mentioned briefly in one of the first ME3 interviews that having her as an ally is one of those "careful what you wish for" scenarios. Makes me hopeful that even decisions you made out of the best of intentions could come crashing down on you.

I trust her. /shrug If it turns out shitty I'm just going to blame Bioware.

Ickman3400 said:
ME is a console focused game though and it deserves to have the option to use a controller like most games. Using the keyboard and mouse for me2 was beyond uncomfortable.
I thought ME2 had controller support?

Zomba13

=HERO= said:
Hey! If they let me choose who I wanted in the first game
I'm so sorry Tali!
and not make Ashley practically rape me just because, in the course of talking to everyone, including her and Liara, equally, the game randomly decided I "love" Ashley. That wouldn't be a problem!
This.

Zeouterlimits said:
I thought ME2 had controller support?

Nope. It can apparently be enabled somewhat through tweaking but it's not 100% functionality. For example I think the power/weapon wheel won't work.

Bioware says it's the "interface" but other than using the number keys to quickly use powers there's no difference between the two other than a visual difference.

Almighty

Ickman3400 said:
I was just being sarcastic, it's a completely fucking stupid plot point and makes 0 sense especially since it contradicts what happened in 2.

Yeah sorry that was my attempt at humor. I have still yet to master having a joking tone come across though text.

It's all in the eyes... The Illusive Man's eyes were supposed to be a giveaway the whole time.
Maybe?

But yes, this is less than promising. ME1's story was fun sci-fi. ME2 tried to get 'more serious' but, even though the character interactions were more interesting, the overall arc felt a bit silly and underdeveloped.

Now, like someone said above, this seems like an easy way to make the story about the good guys and the bad guys. If that's how it turns out, it'll be a shame for those of us who thought ME might be a series for, ya know, adults.

Chinner said:

Shepards death was not used to advance the story, it was just a water-cooler moment. They're doing the same thing with the Threser Maw pulling the Reaper underground. It's not like any of us should be surprised, Mass Effect 2 showed us what EA's true intentions for the series is.

The trouble is is that Bioware does have competent writers on the Mass Effect team- Wrex, Mordin, Garrus, and Legion (especially Wrex, Mordin, and Legion) demonstrate that.

The problem is, those writers aren't the leads, and the main story writers are talentless hacks that got lucky with ME1 and BDtS and have displayed nothing but ultra-concentrated FAIL since then.

WanderingWind

Thagomizer said:
The trouble is is that Bioware does have competent writers on the Mass Effect team- Wrex, Mordin, Garrus, and Legion (especially Wrex, Mordin, and Legion) demonstrate that.

The problem is, those writers aren't the leads, and the main story writers are talentless hacks that got lucky with ME1 and BDtS and have displayed nothing but ultra-concentrated FAIL since then.
I seem to recall earlier sombody posted the writers for each character, and without fail, the good ones were all the result of a single dude.

CrazyDude

Thagomizer said:

Wrex and Garrus were written by Mac Walter.....

edgefusion

I'm disappointed in Bioware's continued insistence on not allowing gay men to enjoy any romances. It's utterly perplexing and the only conclusion I can come to is that it's borne out of some homophobia on the development teams part. What else could account for there being straight relationships and well, lesbian intimacy (if not actual bonking) but nothing gay? What makes it even more confusing is Dragon Age 2 which is very forward-thinking and explicit about its homosexual characters and relationships and also made by Bioware.

I know it's beating a dead horse at this point as the romance options have been discussed to death in the past but it's a source of major contention from me. It bugs me. I want to play as a gay male Shepherd, this is a role-playing game where I am supposed to make choices for the character but when it comes to the bedroom I can either go straight or go home.

WanderingWind

edgefusion said:
I'm disappointed in Bioware's continued insistence on not allowing gay men to enjoy any romances. It's utterly perplexing and the only conclusion I can come to is that it's borne out of some homophobia on the development teams part. What else could account for there being straight relationships and well, lesbian intimacy (if not actual bonking) but nothing gay? What makes it even more confusing is Dragon Age 2 which is very forward-thinking and explicit about its homosexual characters and relationships and also made by Bioware.

I know it's beating a dead horse at this point as the romance options have been discussed to death in the past but it's a source of major contention from me. It bugs me. I want to play as a gay male Shepherd, this is a role-playing game where I am supposed to make choices for the character but when it comes to the bedroom I can either go straight or go home.
Halt. Stop. No.

Dragon Age II's take on relationships was embarassing. Not an example to emulate.

Jarmel

Banned
I love how everyone is automatically assuming that all of Cerberus is indoctrinated and working with the Reapers.

f0rk

edgefusion said:

Isn't everyone in DA2 bi? That's a lot worse in my opinion, its like anti characterisation

Beth Cyra

WanderingWind said:
Halt. Stop. No.

Dragon Age II's take on relationships was embarassing. Not an example to emulate.

It was handled poorly. However I would rather have that then nothing. Granted these are Bioware characters and if they don't want them to gay or Lesbian then they certainly have that right. However the choice of Shepard's sexuality should be ours and we should have some way to express that other then simply not sleeping with a woman/man.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm going to play through Mass Effect this summer, Mass Effect 2 this winter, then Mass Effect 3 this coming year just so I can understand how ridiculous all this is.

WanderingWind said:
Halt. Stop. No.

Pretty much every Bioware relationship is embarrassing. Pretty much the only one that wasn't is Tali's, just because it feels so much more natural than the rest and the payoff actually felt like it meant something instead of "let's have sex now."

although, I'll admit Garrus' was hilarious.

WanderingWind

TruePrime said:
It was handled poorly. However I would rather have that then nothing. Granted these are Bioware characters and if they don't want them to gay or Lesbian then they certainly have that right. However the choice of Shepard's sexuality should be ours and we should have some way to express that other then simply not sleeping with. Woman/man.
I agree it would be nice to have a gay character or two, but that's a different argument than giving props to DA2's Torchwood approach.

CrazyDude

Thagomizer said:
Pretty much every Bioware relationship is embarrassing. Pretty much the only one that wasn't is Tali's, just because it feels so much more natural than the rest and the payoff actually felt like it meant something instead of "let's have sex now."

although, I'll admit Garrus' was hilarious.
Tali's romance was the worst, it seemed completely forced and unnatural. It was put there to satisfy the fanboys. How do you go from ME1, where shes acted more like a friend to ME2 where she all of a sudden is head over heals for Shepard.

So people complaining about cerebrus siding with the reapers are aware that this is a pretty common story-trope where the questionable good guys end up siding with the main enemy because they realize that there is no hope in winning/were offered a deal if they surrender.
It's a pretty common thing to happen in stories, I don't see why people are shitting themselves.....

Beth Cyra

WanderingWind said:
I agree it would be nice to have a gay character or two, but that's a different argument than giving props to DA2's Torchwood approach.
Ican agree to this. The issue though I see though is improvement and this may be the only way to see it improve is to let them do badly a few times.

As it stands there is now nothing for gay men in all three Mass Effect games and only 1 bi option for female which Bioware tried to play in some way skit wouldnt be viewed in a lesbian manner.

Frankly I think even suggesting a gay character and them keeping them Gay/Lesbian more crazy then the all Bi option because I just don't believe Bioware would gp for it. Even less so in the ME world.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thagomizer said:
I strongly disagree.

-Oh, this girl who was constantly all into her own business apparently has the romantic maturity of a 15 year old and has had a huge crush on me this whole time.
-She is now dumping it on me all at once in an incredibly awkward confession.
-I act like the thought never crossed my mind, yet contradict that by saying I feel the same way... so apparently I love this girl but never acted like she existed?
-Basically after 3 conversations that go along the lines of "gee, you're swell!" -> "yeah... especially in my pants" she wants me to deflower her.

Jarmel

Banned
SilentProtagonist said:
So people complaining about cerebrus siding with the reapers are aware that this is a pretty common story-trope where the questionable good guys end up siding with the main enemy because they realize that there is no hope in winning/were offered a deal if they surrender.
It's a pretty common thing to happen in stories, I don't see why people are shitting themselves.....

I'm wondering that myself. They almost certainly saw as much as Shepard did, how all the fleets are getting torn to shreds. At this point there isn't much of an option and they might be trying to buy time. It's actually a relatively easy plot thread to explain.

SilentProtagonist said:

Yes, they already went this route in ME1 with Saren.

Saren though, was not the head of a giant pro human organization that hates aliens and had JUST revived you to actively work against the aliens that they are now apparently working for.

Try to make sense of that.

Top Bottom