• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

- S8 directors list confirmed by EW
First: Miguel Sapochnik will return for the eighth-and-final season of Game of Thrones (which will consist of six episodes total). Sapochnik won an Emmy for his work on season 6, where he helmed two of the hit drama’s finest hours — “The Battle of the Bastards” and “The Winds of Winter.” Sapochnik then took a break from GoT for season 7 to shoot the pilot for Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi drama Altered Carbon, and is now back to focus on Thrones for at least the next year.

Next up is the great David Nutter — the show’s other Emmy winner for best direction. Nutter is a revered industry veteran, dubbed “the pilot whisperer” for his ability to successfully launch new shows. His credits range from The X-Files to ER to The Flash. Nutter helmed six previous GoT episodes, including season 5 finale, “Mother’s Mercy,” and season 3’s infamous Red Wedding episode, “The Rains of Castamere.” (Yes, that the director of The Red Wedding is returning has us a bit worried about some of our beloved characters too).

Yet neither Sapochnik nor Nutter will direct the show’s final episode. That honor is going to GoT showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who previously directed several other episodes early in the show’s run (such as “Walk of Punishment” and “Two Swords”). The decision continues a tradition of creators of acclaimed serialized cable dramas helming their own finales — such as David Chase for The Sopranos, Vince Gilligan for Breaking Bad, and Matthew Weiner for Mad Men.

When Benioff and Weiss have directed episodes in the past they’ve switched back and forth on who gets the actual on-screen credit (since director’s guild rules permit only one director can be credited for an episode of television). It’s unclear how this one will sort out.

Now you might read this and ask yourself: If the Ds are directing the finale, and Sapochnik and Nutter are also directing episodes, and there are six episodes total, then how many episodes is each person directing? In the past, visiting GoT directors have helmed two episodes each. We heard Sapochnik will direct at least two, possibly even three episodes. But as of now, we have no official intel on who will helm which episodes aside from the showrunners tackling the finale.

Thrones begins production on its final season in October and will continue into the spring of next year. HBO has not announced if the show will return in 2018 or, quite possibly, 2019.

I was watching random interviews of cast members last night and I came across a Comic-Con panel with Carice in Paris and she said that when she first got the part and met DnD for the first time, they revealed to her what Melisandre's real age is, which is
I wonder if they'll ever reveal it to the audience, or if she'd reveal her true form to other characters on the show.

Hydrus

Day 30 without GoT:
en0nmjx8g8oz.jpg

I don't know if this type of leak is ok to post ( Not really a leak). If not I'll remove it. According to some new casting info, Filming will go all the way until August 2018. I really hope that is wrong, because that would guarantee a late winter/ early spring 2019 season 8 release. Fook me. Also lots of new info today. What a morning!

Szeth

Sapochnik back for 2 possibly 3 episodes is a dream come true. He can do the major battles with Nutter in between.

D&D did the best premiere (s4) and it makes sense they'd want the last episode. It's their show, and if the finale is shit they'll never live it down, they know the stakes lol

Right, him bending the knee is a combination of things, but mainly because of his feelings for her (which are directly tied into who she is and what she stands for).

Where has it been hinted at that he's any different because of the resurrection though? I think that would be a really dumb route to take; the important thing is that he was brought BACK. Making it anything more than that seems really pointless to me. The dude who was brought back like 6 or 7 times wasn't any different, mentally (if I remember correctly), he's just super fucked up with scars.

What's important to Jon's character is that he's in the fight and that he's got a secret. Those are the two big things moving forward. The technicalities of resurrection and the impact it may have on his character really weaken the story and need to be kept far, far away, IMO.
there's been a few
- beric says he loses a part of him every time he comes back
- jon acts differently for just 1 ep after he's back
- beric's convo with jon in regards to them 2 compared to everyone else
- i think jon's "i don't" response to danny's enjoying doing things they're good at had a double meaning

I think there's another since his res, but I forget. They have so much shit to unpack at this point, we will see what if anything comes up at this point.

-

They pretty much picked the two best directors for the series. Sapo is obviously the best, and Nutter is amazing at emotional heavy scenes. Hoping they do 5 together, with Sapo 3 and leave just one to double Ds.

So what is this nonsense about the army of the dead marching in a wolfs head formation in the final scene of the finale? Some Lyft driver was talking to me about that and I was looking at him like he was crazy.

Hydrus

But... Emilia Clarke...

Lol, I know... I thought for sure those two would end up together in real life. That on screen chemistry is just too much. Meh, I dont really care much for celebs, but he's young, rich, famous, and good looking. It's gonna be tough for him, espcieally since him and Rose have been off and on. These types of things usually don't work out in Hollywood. But best of luck to them though. Poor Emilia :'( ... I am avaible though if your reading this :)

Hydrus

Day 31 without GoT:

The news keeps coming. Today Variety said Season 8 will get 15 million per episode budget. Also Peter Dinklage was spotted in Belfast today. Shooting is probably starting any day now, if it hasn't already.

For reference...

Between 2012 and 2015, the average budget per episode increased from $6 million to "at least" $8 million. The sixth-season budget was over $10 million per episode, for a season total of over $100 million and a series record.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ghost and a dragon in the same scene confirmed.

Seriously, though, 15 million makes it feel like they're just throwing money at them so they can do literally whatever they want. Go as big as possible.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Ghost and a dragon in the same scene confirmed.

Seriously, though, 15 million makes it feel like they're just throwing money at them so they can do literally whatever they want. Go as big as possible.

I was hoping for 20 million tbh.

Yeah, best not get too hyped by those numbers because episodes will probably be longer, so in terms of dollars per hour, it might not be that much of a visibly bigger budget, if at all.

Hydrus

Honestly I am kind of wondering where the money went this season.

The actors probably:

Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, and Lena Headey each got paid 500k per episode. That's $2.5 million of the episode budget tied to those 5 alone. The price to use the same locations are probably going up in price, in addition to the actors pay.

Hydrus

You know, now that i think about it, it wouldnt suprise me if the actors pay raises played a role in making season 7, 7 episodes instead of 10. HBO probably told D&D the budget and they had to decide between a longer season, but leave out something like the dragon attack, or shorter season and keep it. In one of the behind the scenes videos, they talked about how expensive the undead polar bear was to do and how they were never able to afford it before. I wish HBO would've said" fuck it, here's an extra 30 mil, make this a 10 episode season".

Pagusas

Elden Member
Honestly I am kind of wondering where the money went this season.

Are you dense or blind? Go watch "The Spoils of War". Specifically the last 20 minutes. There you go, that's where the money went.

. I wish HBO would've said" fuck it, here's an extra 30 mil, make this a 10 episode season".

3 extra episodes would not make them 30 mil extra in profits. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Hydrus

Are you dense or blind? Go watch "The Spoils of War". Specifically the last 20 minutes. There you go, that's where the money went.

3 extra episodes would not make them 30 mil extra in profits. Seems like an easy choice to me.

It probably would of with that extra month of subscriptions.

WaffleTaco

The actors probably:

Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, and Lena Headey each got paid 500k per episode. That's $2.5 million of the episode budget tied to those 5 alone. The price to use the same locations are probably going up in price, in addition to the actors pay.
Probably unfortunately. They do deserve it though.
The dothraki/dragons attacking Jamie and Bronn was crazyyy expensive, or it had to be. A crazy battle sequence with a CG dragon destroying an army
It was nice and looked good, but considering that was their big battle of the season, I was expecting something more.

Honestly, they made better use of money in the Battle of the Bastards episode. Of course Dragon CGI is very expensive so that's where most of the money went.

WaffleTaco

Who do you guys think Arya will kill if she actually does at all? I don’t even consider her a character anymore, rather a embodiment of the Chekhov's Gun trope. I don’t really see any characters she could take out anymore since the only two enemies are Cersei and Euron lol. I do think since the end of Season 5 her plot has been rather awful. One could argue that her killing the Frey’s was her fulfilling what her training could do. What are your guys thoughts?

Hydrus

Who do you guys think Arya will kill if she actually does at all? I don’t even consider her a character anymore, rather a embodiment of the Chekhov's Gun trope. I don’t really see any characters she could take out anymore since the only two enemies are Cersei and Euron lol. I do think since the end of Season 5 her plot has been rather awful. One could argue that her killing the Frey’s was her fulfilling what her training could do. What are your guys thoughts?

Cersei while wearing Jaimes face. But idk, after slashing LittleFingers throat, I feel like her plot is done as well.

WaffleTaco

Cersei while wearing Jaimes face. But idk, after slashing LittleFingers throat, I feel like her plot is done as well.
I would hate if Arya killed Cersei. It would feel like ultimate wish-fulfillment for Arya. Sure she would be wearing Jamie’s face, but it wouldn’t be Jamie.
Oh damn i forgot lol. Maybe it’s this. I could also see Varys being a choice.

Vashetti

Banned

Melisandre. They telegraphed it this season when Melly said she would return to Westeros a final time to die.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope there's no twist where Varys turns out bad cus he's one of thre few who has been working behind the scenes since season -15 to help the realm when no other would.

Surfinn

I hope there's no twist where Varys turns out bad cus he's one of thre few who has been working behind the scenes since season -15 to help the realm when no other would.

There is a zero percent chance he's bad. He told a dead man (Ned) of his true intentions. You don't lie to a dead man

There's literally no point

That would be TWD Carol levels of character assassination

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
1wtjhh.gif

Melisandre. They telegraphed it this season when Melly said she would return to Westeros a final time to die.

But why though? Mel was on Arya's shit list due to the whole Gendry thing, as were the Brotherhood. Gendry and the boys are all squared up, yet Arya still holding a grudge for him? Seems weird to me.

Vashetti

Banned
But why though? Mel was on Arya's shit list due to the whole Gendry thing, as were the Brotherhood. Gendry and the boys are all squared up, yet Arya still holding a grudge for him? Seems weird to me.

I can't see any other way for her to go. They've been following up on 'abandoned' plotlines for 2-3 seasons now and they clearly had Melly tell Arya they would meet again.

WaffleTaco

Doesn’t mean Arya will kill her. Jon/Davos would though. Gotta see how Gendry feels. Could be the reason Gendry doesn’t end up with Arya.
Really though? I mean...he was working behind the scenes to put who on the throne this whole time? It couldn’t have been Daenerys at first, so it would have to had been Viserys and he should have known through Illyriro that Viserys wasn’t in the right mindset. So he picks Daenerys, based on what? Having three dragons? The point I’m trying to make is Varys plot had little cohesiveness to it.

There is a zero percent chance he's bad. He told a dead man (Ned) of his true intentions. You don't lie to a dead man

There's literally no point

That would be TWD Carol levels of character assassination
Yeah, but Ned wasn’t supposed to die he was supposed to take the black. And lol Carol’s character was not assassinated at all, they choreographed her arc completely.

Surfinn

Doesn't mean Arya will kill her. Jon/Davos would though. Gotta see how Gendry feels. Could be the reason Gendry doesn't end up with Arya.

Really though? I mean...he was working behind the scenes to put who on the throne this whole time? It couldn't have been Daenerys at first, so it would have to had been Viserys and he should have known through Illyriro that Viserys wasn't in the right mindset. So he picks Daenerys, based on what? Having three dragons? The point I'm trying to make is Varys plot had little cohesiveness to it.

Yeah, but Ned wasn't supposed to die he was supposed to take the black. And lol Carol's character was not assassinated at all, they choreographed her arc completely.

Varys knew he was gone.

"I trust you do know you're a dead man?"

I mean even if he came out alive and went to the wall, he still poses no threat. He was never going to have any power ever again

He's got absolutely no motive to tell lies to him

Hydrus

Day 35 without GoT:
d0d7863de7jz.jpg

Today is EP4 of the rewatch - Cripples, bastards, and broken things. Almost halfway done with season 1! This rewatch is definitely helping with the wait.

Surfinn

Day 35 without GoT:
d0d7863de7jz.jpg

Today is EP4 of the rewatch - Cripples, bastards, and broken things. Almost halfway done with season 1! This rewatch is definitely helping with the wait.
Your daily updates help with the wait

My brother and I just started season 2

Hydrus

Your daily updates help with the wait

My brother and I just started season 2

Awe thanks. I have a little too much free time in the mornings when I'm at work, sitting in my office, so I just share whatever pops up on reddit and makes me laugh. Keeps me busy lol.

Top Bottom