• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone: DOOM on Switch will render the same both handheld and docked, at 720p

Cerium

They claim this information comes directly from Bethesda.

But, there is no difference in how graphics are rendered between docked and handheld modes, although the game may appear different simply because it is played on a larger screen, according to Bethesda. When it is docked, the game plays on your television at 720p.
Bethesda got back to me on a few other questions that have been floating around out there. I've updated the story to reflect the answers, but here they are for those who already read the story.

There is no difference in how graphics are rendered between docked and handheld modes, although the game may appear different simply because it is played on a larger screen, according to Bethesda. When it is docked, the game plays on your television at 720p.
This explains why they insist on showing it in handheld mode.

Note that the Switch version of Rocket League, also handled by Panic Button, also renders at 720p both handheld and docked.

Off-screen footage we've seen looks rather sharp.

shiyrley

Banned
wtf

At the very least if it uses a dynamic res just let the thing go wild with the higher GPU clocks and render as high res as it can

Well that's annoying. But if I'm getting Doom on the Switch it's not like I'm getting it to play docked, I'd be getting it for the portable factor. If I want graphics I can play the PC version.

wtf

At the very least if it uses a dynamic res just let the thing go wild with the higher GPU clocks and render as high res as it can

DOOM renders UI and 3D separate so UI will stay 720p in both while 3D is dynamic res so will likely maintain 100% resolution scale much often in docked mode.

Fine with me. If I want that crazy awesome DOOM experience at the highest rez, I'll play on PC.

I'm not buying DOOM on the Switch to play it on the TV, I have the PS4 version for that. I'm buying the Switch version to play DOOM on the go. 720p isn't a deal breaker.
This guy gets it.

Fushin

I'm not buying DOOM on the Switch to play it on the TV, I have the PS4 version for that. I'm buying the Switch version to play DOOM on the go. 720p isn't a deal breaker.

Tarrin

I'll be honest, 720p/30fps is a bummer.

But it's still portable DOOM! To play DOOM on the train, on a hike, etc, is a dream come true.

SRTtoZ

Maybe it will run more consistently at 720p while docked because of the dynamic resolution? Either way it doesn't bother me since I won't play it docked ever. I'd just play the PC version I own at that point.

No way, no way the CPU could just power up that much docked.
The CPU is the same in both modes. Technically Nintendo might be able to allow upclocks.

Really disappointing to hear graphics and resolution are the same in both modes.

Anyway, here's hoping that extra power on docked is for 60fps, but I'm not expecting it of course.

Dynamic res scaling in 720p portable probably drops enough that they have to stick to 720p for docked as well but it should stay more consistently at 720p.

Well, the audience for this title is mostly comprised of people who want to play it handheld and Switch/Nintendo-only gamers. The former group gets to play it handheld (despite obvious compromises), and the latter group at least has the option to play the game now — even if it's substandard and more expensive than the other versions.

Dynamic res scaling in 720p portable probably drops enough that they have to stick to 720p for docked as well but it should stay more consistently at 720p.

In theory though if its dynamic on handheld (cant imagine it ever dropping below 480p) it should be able to lock at 720 in docked but also should mean theres headroom to dynamically up to 900 (or more even) so again i do think this has been rushed, still buying though

RowdyReverb

Exactly. The portability aspect is the big selling point here since the game is already available at high fidelity on less portable platforms

Switch ports are always gonna be my second version which is the true brilliance of it. From a third party standpoint I'm gonna buy a shit ton of games twice.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sucks for people that only own a Switch, but doesn't make a difference for double dippers who only care about the handheld aspect.

Magnus

How does Rolling Stone go after and get this kind of information before other outlets? Is this even what its readers care about?

Effect

Like always we're going to need to see actual footage of the game docked. The game does look good undocked. I want to see how the game looks on a larger screen with the resolution being more constant. As said before you buy the Switch version of a game like this for many reasons but not because you want THE best version. If you want that you would have already gotten the PC version. You buy the Switch version to play this game portability either outside of the home or within the home for various reasons. Or the Switch is your new hotness and you want more games for it. Sacrifices will be happening in games like this unless it's taken into account during creation or is an exclusive.

There are some genres where frame rate matters more than others, but especially arena shooters. 60FPS should be the absolute minimum. We used to play arena shooters at 30FPS with the original Quake before the hardware could handle it and it wasn't optimal by any means. I can not imagine this gameplay translating well at 30FPS. There's a 60FPS version of the video and even that looks sub-par.
https://youtu.be/BwAVoaZcN6Y?t=113

As long as it's not dynamic sub 720 in handheld.

It's both to maintain locked 60 and as a by product of a workaround since the Switch doesn't exactly support Unreal Engine 3.

I thought we already had confirmation that the handheld version drops to at least 540p to maintain framerate?

At least this news suggests that it can sometimes be 720p/native on the go, even if it's dependent on how much action is on screen.

Exactly. The portability aspect is the big selling point here since the game is already available at high fidelity on less portable platforms

The other being that, since most people only own one console, it's the best (and only) FPS on the system by a country mile.

I expect to play it on the TV and I don't think resolution matters as much as the quality of the AA and depth of field. There are jagged 1080p games and smooth 720p games. Hopefully the game looks smooth.

I thought we already had confirmation that the handheld version drops to at least 540p to maintain framerate?

At least this news suggests that it can sometimes be 720p/native on the go, even if it's dependent on how much action is on screen.

Wasn't that just Digital Foundry looking at the Nintendo Direct trailer and saying a scene "looks" like 540p?

Confirmation from where? Even in the DF thread it just said res was dynamic, but didn't list any numbers IIRC

Top Bottom